Preparation

The Crown Prince

Chapter 8 

The following year…

Strong servants carried an upscale carriage that held Taemin and his parents; the wooden poles on the servant’s shoulders as they walked made it a bumpy ride for the Lee Family but they were used to it and Taemin’s mind was too occupied, lost in thought to even notice the rocky motions with each step the men took... Jinki was about to come of age next week, Monday…. Taemin was not sure what present his boyfriend would want or need as he travelled with his family back to his district after spending a week with the royal family. Taemin stared out the window of his carriage thinking it over: What does one give a prince? A man that has everything?  It wasn’t until the morning after he arrived home that he discovered what the prince would love above all else...

Taemin was taking a stroll through his village after breakfast with his mother, accompanying her as she went to the market for some fabric. As his mother was haggling over prices with a female merchant Taemin heard a girl squeal in delight followed by her laughter. Curiosity got the best of him; he followed the laughter to the side of the building.  He heard the sound of two pairs of feet scurrying in the dry dusty road, headed towards the back of the fabric buildings. Taemin slowly peeked his head around the corner, thinking he would see kids playing. To his surprise he saw a young newly married couple. The male apparently had chased his wife playfully behind the building, they were sensually kissing. Taemin ducked his head back, giving them privacy; his cheeks flushed bright pink after witnessing open mouth kisses for the first time. He smiled happily for them though as he walked away and returned to his mother. Taemin thought: he loves Jinki as that wife loves her husband. From what little he had seen he knew that kiss was full of passion and love which led him to his decision: he would give Jinki his first mature kiss for the Prince’s coming of age ceremony…privately of course. 

The week leading up to Prince Jinki’s coming of age ceremony Prince Jinki was very busy in preparations. Jinki not only still had to study but now he had to be social as well on top of it all. But he wasn’t the only one… the palace was bustling with activity.  Chefs were planning out a traditional menu for the feast and trying to create a new dessert special for the occasion.  Florists from every village of the kingdom were making flower arrangements everywhere it seemed. In his private quarters, in all the rooms the guests would be occupying, the courtyards, the corridors, the throne room, the study, the library and the pavilion, the bridge that stretched over the pond and countless other places were decorated with flowers.  Jinki requested the servants to fill Taemin’s with yellow flowers and more specially the yellow flowers from his personal garden behind the palace.  Some guests of high notability and of good status had arrived during the week as well as the caterers, decorators, and entertainment.

Since after the formal event there will be a reception, with music and other entertainment, Jonghyun’s family will perform of course but there will be visiting performers as well. The King and Queen handed Mr. Kim full responsibly of it all. Mr. Kim viewed singers, poets, comedians/jesters, dancers…everything from musicians to magicians.  Jonghyun knew Jinki would rather hear Taemin recite poetry than the poets that stood before him and his father at the moment.  As he listened to the awful delivery of the current poet, he smiled and wrote down “Taemin” on his list and whispered.   “Father, I’m sure the prince wants Master Taemin to recite him something.”

 “Ask him first.”

“Master Taemin or the Crown Prince?”

“Both. You're excused, take care of it. Looks like I’m going to be here awhile.”

Jonghyun smiled. “I’m on it appa.”

….

Jonghyun humbly bowed to many upper class visitors on his way to Jinki’s private quarters. Finally standing in front of his doors he was greeted by his friend, Minho. The young guard smiled “Hey, Jonghyun come to tell me a joke?”

“Hello. I’m in a hurry. I need to speak to hyung-nim.”

Minho nodded and let him in and being bored he followed him inside.  Jinki was in the middle of being measured for his custom made hanbok. “Hello” the prince welcomed his friends.

“Hello” They replied.

“You make speak freely.” The prince added, giving them permission since they weren’t alone.

Smiling, Jonghyun asked “What is your favorite poem, your highness?”

Jinki scrunched up his face and looked towards the upper corner of the room thinking of an answer. Minho walked towards the window scanning the visiting guests as they waited for an answer. More and more people were arriving everyday this week. Minho saw a familiar face outside the window to which he narrowed his brows…

The crown prince finally answered with a shrug “I’m not sure, I’ve read so many.”

Jonghyun bit his bottom lip and tried to think of a different way to get this information for his plan to work. “Doesn’t Master Taemin like poetry?” Minho smiled and turned his attention to the prince to see if he would make the face

Jinki smiled happily, his eyes curving and thinning into a bright eye smile; making “the face” The Prince nodded “Yes, he does.”

Minho and Jonghyun both chuckled. “What?” Asked the prince innocently.

The guard excused the tailor.  “May we have a moment?”  The seamstress nodded and left the room.  They could not hold in their laughs. “Hyung, you have to control your face. You smile so big when the mention of his name.” Jonghyun even poked his royal cheek. “Your face turns pink too.” He laughed.

“It does not…” he smirked and then questioned “Does it?” Jinki arched his brow cutely.

“Yes!”  They said together.

Smiling cutely “Ok did you both come in here to tease or is there something I may help you with?”

Jonghyun took a seat on the floor and spoke nonchalantly “I was just wondering if you and Taemin have a favorite poem”

“Why?”

He shrugged “No reason.” 

The prince happily smiled “You’re going to recite a poem for me?”

“Nope.”

Guessing wrongly Jinki dropped his shoulders with an adorable pout of confusion. “Oh.”

Minho finally mentioned “Jinki-nim, by the way. Your cousin has arrived. I see him outside.”

Jinki groaned and walked over to the window. “Where?”

Pointing discreetly Minho answered “There, by the steps of the throne hall.”

Jonghyun got up to look as well. The three of them watched as Leeteuk, Jinki’s Second Cousin once removed, a pretentious snob, chatted with someone; annoyed Jonghyun rolled his eyes and sighed “Great, the pompous is here.”

Jinki sighed “I knew he was coming. Mother and Father had to invite all the royal family you know. The entire SHINee World is coming.”

“Well, I’m getting out of here before he sees me.” Jonghyun slipped away from the window not giving the arrogant aristocrat a chance to embarrass him in front of his Prince. 

“It’s my room; I can have whomever I want in here. Jonghyun, it’s ok, you may stay.”

“Its’ alright hyung, I know my place and it’s not here.”He smiled “I have a special errand to run anyways.” The performer winked; Leeteuk did end up spotting them standing at the window and began walking over. “Yep, time to go.”

As Jonghyun walked away Jinki called out to him. “Jonghyun, my favorite poem is the one I first heard Taemin recite.”

Jonghyun turned around with a smile. “Annnddd what is the title?”

“It’s a secret” He winked.

“Oh you are no fun hyu-Prince Jinki.” He changed in mid-word and bowed as soon as he saw the cousin walk up and step onto the platform/porch lining the outside of Jinki’s palace bedroom.

Standing directly outside the window now, Leeteuk saw the back of Jonghyun leaving quickly. The elder royal did not address the crown prince; he rudely asked straightaway, as he stood in the window frame “Who was that?” he uttered as if he cared. Jinki and Minho turned around to face him. Minho noticed instantly the elder (like the majority of the time) did not address him properly or at all for that matter which upset Minho greatly. However The Crown Prince greeted him politely then answered unashamed “That was Kim Jonghyun, a dear friend of mine. He’s very funny. And besides his mother, he has the best voice in the SHINee Kingdom. You’d like him.”  Minho smirked happily at his Prince’s kind words about their shared friend.

 Tilting his snobby nose into the air and wincing in disgust Lord Leeteuk scoffed “A servant? I don’t think I would. I don’t associate with the help, Jinki. And neither should you.”  Minho’s smirk faded, he immediately gritted his teeth and gripped his sword tighter that rested against his hip.   The prince remained calm “I don’t see why not. They are human and need respect too, Cousin-nim. I respect them, they respect me. It goes both ways.”

“Respect is one thing but friends? That’s a pretty strong word.”

“I know it is.” he said kindly. “I do not use it lightly. Now if you’ll excuse me I must return to getting fitted.” Minho stepped away from them and called the seamstress inside to finish with the prince. Leeteuk rolled his eyes; with an audible swoosh of his long robes as he turned, Leeteuk walked back into the courtyard in a huff.

Minho returned to the prince’s side and whispered “Thank goodness it’s your family line and not his.” Minho closed his windows for him. “I would have committed treason and killed him by now if he was the crown prince.” he remarked.

Jinki chuckled “Be, nice Minho-ah.”

“He doesn’t even call you ‘your highness’ like he is suppose to! We call you hyung because we all love you like a brother and we have your permission. He just calls you Jinki when your parents aren’t around to be rude.”

Jinki sighed “I know. It’s ok I am use to it, he is rude to everyone. I don’t take it personal. But I do take it personal when he bad mouths my friends. That, I will not stand for.”

Minho patted his shoulder. “I do not know how you do it. I admire you, Prince. Your heart is so big”

Jinki smiled. “I couldn’t do it without you guys supporting me.”

“You’re being modest, that kind of strength comes from within, hyung. Maybe it’s because your half angel but how you don’t tackle his snotty to the ground I have no idea.”

His royal highness smiled handsomely a cute eye smile and wiggled his head side to side cheekily. “I’m killing him with kindness”

“Ohh, did my father teach you that? I must have missed those lessons with the General when we were children.” Minho teased.

“Learned it from my parents” he smiled.

Minho smiled kindly “It's an honor serving your family, Prince Jinki.”

“Ok ok, get going. I have to get my hanbok finished.” he ushered him away from the window as he too walked away. Jinki stopped in the middle of the room to resume where he was before his friends came to visit; Minho resumed his position outside his door.

Outside the city walls Taemin was laying on his blankets staring at his ceiling thinking about how he wanted to go about giving the prince his first adult kiss. He didn’t know it but he was smiling brightly and blushing. He heard his mother call for him. He quickly left his room and was greeted by his mother “Someone from the palace is here to see you.” she said. “He is waiting for you outside.” “Thank you mother.”

Taemin stepped into the doorway of his house; he smiled when he saw Jonghyun sitting right outside. Taemin slipped his shoes on and sat beside him with his house door still open. “Hey hyung. How’s Prince Jinki?”

Jonghyun faced him and snickered “Why is your face bright pink?”

Taemin blinked and looked away “My-m-my face?” he stammered as he covered his right cheek, the one closest to Jonghyun.

“You two are so in love. It’s so adorable.”

“Shh, hyung.” Taemin looked back over his shoulder into his house quickly before looking at him again. “It’s embarrassing.”

“What is? Love?”

“No, I mean. I don’t know.” his pink cheeks flushed a deeper shade.

“Ok so here is the plan.” He slapped his leg casually “Jinki has heard me sing, play instruments and do gags and recite poetry. I know he likes poetry. I know you LOVE it. So I guessed it was because it reminds him of you. So then I asked him what his favorite poem was. He told me it’s the first one he heard you recite. Now, I know I guessed right after he said that.” he winked “He won’t tell me what it is though. He says it’s a secret. So it must be your special thing between the two of you. But if you tell me what it is, I can make sure no one recites that and I can do it for him, and you. Or you can do it for him. I know you’re shy but it will be good for your status to show off your knowledge and impress everyone at the party and secretly for the prince; he will love hearing it from you instead of someone else. I can introduce you and you can recite it.”

“I’m not that shy. I was just pink from thinking about his present. But never mind that.. I just rather it be between us because.. well… the poem,   It’s a simple poem, a child’s poem. He heard me talking to myself, reciting it to myself when I was only 8. It’s how we met.  I won’t embarrass him by reciting a children’s poem.”

“Oh my, this is even better Taemin!  Recite it and I will write you a grown up mature poem and you will recite that afterwards. It will balance out..like he is going from a child to a man as you read a childish poem to a grown up one.  Ohhh this is a perfect Coming of Age present. We are smart, Master Taemin. Team work!” He sighed happily, draping an arm around the younger.

Taemin sighed as he thought. “I never spoke in front of so many people before. I have had to speak to a room full of my dad’s men before. But the entire pavilion filled with Jinki’s family and half the darn kingdom? That is way too much pressure.”

“You have to overcome that shyness Taemin. You are dating the prince.”

“Keep it down. My parents have no idea anyone else knows, they think we aren’t’ together yet. No one knows, they are not supposed too. Only you guys know. Rules state you can’t court royalty unless there is an official announcement, so keep it down.”

“The kingdom should know. You both need to announce quickly. Do you want ladies of the court getting close with Jinki once he is of age in a few days? He is yours. You have to claim what is yours. Ladies of the court will be giving him presents and tokens of their affection I’m sure. They won’t know you are dating him anyways. They will just know you read him some poems. I think it will be a good way for Jinki to turn down other people that want to be his girlfriend. He can say, “After I heard Master Taemin read, I fell in love.” It gives him a good excuse.” he winked. “Then you never have to say a word of your dating. They will all just know it.”

Taemin smiled. “It would feel nice if Jinki did tell people he was off limits because of me.” His blush returned. “The secret is, we will inform the public sometime after his ceremony so actually the wait is almost over.” Taemin beamed happily even though he was still sometimes slightly nervous of going public, but the love of Jinki was stronger at the moment.

Jonghyun smiled. “That is great news! Ok so it’s a deal? I’ll write you a poem?”

“Deal.”

“Sooooo, what was the gift you are giving him?”

Taemin didn’t think it would be proper to tell him of his gift being a mature kiss so he told a little white lie “I was blushing because I am embarrassed. I didn’t get him anything. I can’t think of anything.” …Just then they heard the galloping of a horse. They stepped off the porch and into the dusty road to look down the lane.

Kibum had come riding up. “Hello Master Taemin, Jonghyun.” He greeted as he dismounted and tied his horse to one of the columns on Taemin’s wraparound daecheong (porch) of his Hanok (traditional house).

“What brings you here?” Taemin asked with a smile.

“The palace is hectic. I can’t get any work done. I can’t hear myself think. Can’t I just read in the library?” Kibum dusted off his expensive pink hanbok then fixed his gat (hat) and smiled “But, before I left I told Prince Jinki I was on my way to see you..He gave me something to give you.”

“Really? What is it?”

Kibum looked around “he said I had to give you…”  He hesitated “…give you..” Seeing no one outside he then threw his arms around Taemin “This.” Making the younger’s cheeks a pretty pink once more.

 Jonghyun laughed “Speaking of the prince sending his love..Taemin loves him so much he forgot to get him something.”

Kibum pulled out of the hug and arched his brow “Protocol calls for you to give him a gift. Thank goodness I arrived. I will help. I won’t let you show up empty handed, it will look bad.”

Taemin sighed and cutely shot them a look “No, I haven’t forgotten. I am just not sure of what to give him.” He shrugged and started walking.

“Well, I’m here now. I can fix this.” Kibum smiled and followed.

Walking up alongside the others; tilting his head Jonghyun scrunched up his lips as he began to ponder “while we think of a present for a prince. Why don’t you tell us about Jinki hyung? Why you like him, how you think he has aged. How you have seen him mature and things like that. It will give me ideas for the poem.” He turned to Kibum, “I’m writing him a poem for his other gift and Taemin will recite it. He’s heard me a million times. He is going to love hearing Taemin instead.”

Kibum nodded “Good idea. And this might help us figure out what you should give him. And Yes, I agree he will adore it.”

As they walked along, Taemin proceeded to explain how he met the prince and how they played as children and how younger Jinki is different from older Jinki.

“May I ask how he confessed his love?” Jonghyun asked politely.

The shy teenager batted his eyes and kept staring at the ground as he walked, afraid he’d blush again if he looked their way. Taemin summarized the confession in one sentence “We were sitting in one of the private gardens and he told me he loved me. It was very lovely.” He said softly.

 Kibum smiled “That’s it!” Startling them both.

“What is it?” Taemin asked confused.

“Flowers! Get him flowers! He confessed to you while you were in a garden.”

Taemin smiled “Yes that is perfect! Thank you!”

“Well, I better get back to the palace. Thank you Taemin for the input on Jinki. I will write a poem for him for you to say. I’m sure my father is wondering why it is taking me so long.” Jonghyun bowed.

Taemin responded “Give Kibum the poem so he can bring it to my house so I may memorize it before hand. I must go buy or find flowers. See you Monday.”

As Kibum untied his horse he said  to their friend “Jonghyun, I don’t want you walking all that way. I will give you a ride back to the palace.”

“Thank you Kibum! I would appreciate it.”

….

Taemin watched his friends take off on the rich Kim’s horse. He turned around and walked inside. As he was getting ready for the night he was thinking of the story of the country’s 1st Queen and King’s proposal. He deiced not to give him yellow flowers because of the meaning it held. He thought he should give a different flower and a different color…He wanted it to hold a special meaning of its own… With a cute smirk he laid down for the night planning it out in his mind happily.