Proposal

The Crown Prince

 

………………Chapter 11………………..

They had made a Royal announcement of the crown prince’s courtship a month later and everyone in the Kingdom safe for Leeteuk of course, was happy about his highness taking Taemin as a suitor. Leeteuk had rolled his eyes as his advisor, Kim Heechul, told him the joyous news. “This is embarrassing, that kind of lifestyle stays behind doors and rooms of .”

Heechul scrunched up his brows in confusion and was shocked he would refer to Taemin as such “but everyone loves Young Master Taemin. Aren’t you happy for them? They are a perfect match, everyone thinks so. The Prince is in love and you question it?”

Leeteuk slammed his fists on the writing table. “Of course I question! Got a problem with that? Or do you need to be stripped of your status?”

Heechul batted his lashes nervously and bowed “Sorry, please forgive me. I won’t question you again, noble sir.”

“What would our ancestors think? This is disgraceful. Scandalous!”

“Lord?”

The prince’s distant cousin snapped “What is it!?

The advisor bowed again and remained that way as he spoke meekly “There is no scandal, everyone is accepting of them. I don’t know how they are but they are.”

The Lord raised an eyebrow “And are you?”

“I’m loyal to you Leeteuk and your direct family line. Of course I agree with you but what can we do?”

With his elbow on the table and a thumb under his chin, Leeteuk rubbed his lips with his index finger as he thought. “Mmm, my family line.” he stood up and walked closer to the other man. “Get up.” Heechul did what he was told and watched his master walk around the room in deep thought.. Leeteuk went to the open window and crossed his hands behind his back while pondering. “Well, we’ll just see how this unfolds shall we? Prince will probably come to his senses once he is done playing house with Taemin. If not, then...”

“Then?” Heechul smirked as wickedly as his master.

Leeteuk turned to his advisor “Oh, nothing...not yet anyway…” He shrugged “I am sure nothing will come of this.” he returned his attention out the window and mumbled to himself “My family has not sat on a throne in many, many decades. I would never act the way the current ones who sit on the throne have.” He scoffed “People may like a cute courtship but will they like a marriage of a homoual future King?.... We shall see.”

…………………

Over the next 4 years Leeteuk did nothing, thought about it, yes, but did nothing, in hopes it would all fall apart on its own. But it did not; it grew stronger. He watched the public couple like a hawk and had his men spy on them as well. Taemin was perfection just like Prince Jinki and his regal family; beloved by all. Everyone thought the couple was flawless. For some reason no one ever batted an eyelash at the unnaturalness of it all.  They were loyal to each other and as far as the public saw they followed the rules. It wasn’t until around Taemin’s coming of age celebrations that Leeteuk wasn’t sure if he could sit and do nothing: just about couldn’t take it anymore……. Little did the despicable man know but right around the corner would be just the ammo he needed to spring into action for next week is the moment Prince Jinki had been waiting for: Taemin’s coming of age ceremony to ask an important question while giving him a certain yellow flower…

………….

The Lee’s wanting to prove their status and their worthiness to be in the Crowns favor: their son courting the prince, Taemin’s father held a huge lavish party to celebrate his coming of age.  It worked and everyone was impressed. Besides the entire village, the 24 year old prince was there of course to give his best wishes to his suitor. All the guests waited for Taemin and when he walked out, a huge handsome smile crept across the Prince’s face when he saw him in all his breathtaking handsomeness; Taemin spotted Jinki right away with his hanbok that was the color of his kingdom, Pearl Aqua, with the hems of the fabric trimmed in the royal gold petal pattern, a patterned reserved for royalty only. He saw Jinki smile dreamily. Taemin smiled softly at the prince as he maintained his serious composure like he was groomed over the years. Jinki sighed happily; Taemin looked like he had stepped right out of heaven. The young adult’s long robes around his hanbok flowed with a gentle swoosh as he stepped; Master Taemin seemed to be floating, the way his stride was elegantly graceful as he glided along to the center of the room, like Jinki’s mother taught him. As the younger crossed the floor Jinki admired Taemin in his expensive hanbok which was mostly in Taemin’s favorite color, yellow; matching the color of the flower he knows one day he will happily receive…The hibiscus’s that blanket Jinki’s private garden; it became the younger’s favorite flower for obvious reasons behind its meaning to his regal boyfriend, and requested his seamstress to make his attire that specific shade of yellow. The King and Prince Jinki were both amused by the hue. They shot each other a happy look. The king leaned into the crown prince’s ear “You did well son. He is perfect.”  “Thank you father” They whispered as Taemin walked to where he would be for his ceremony.  The Queen and Taemin’s mother both whispered to one another “So handsomely pretty.” The Queen patted the back of Jinki’s hand. Taemin’s father was speechless and a bit misty eyed himself and felt overwhelmingly proud of his son: Taemin had become more than he could ever hope for.

Taemin wasn’t nervous at all; after a respectful and graceful bow he knelt down and the ceremony began……

……………….

After the ceremony people were gathered around chatting. Taemin was with Jonghyun and Minho. Jinki and Kibum got stuck talking to someone of high rank  but as soon as they got the opportunity they were able to steal away to congratulate the youngest.

 Jinki and Kibum walked up to the trio “Congratulations Lee Taemin” They beamed.

“Thank you!”

Kibum added while looking around at the crowd and all the pretty decorations “Your parents sure know how to throw a party.”

“Thank you” He chuckled

The prince couldn’t take his eyes off the younger man “You look stunning, Taemin. Like an angel.” Jinki couldn’t’ wait to be alone to say it, it just popped out.

“Thank you, your highness. Do you like my hanbok? My mother, the Queen and I designed it.”

“Is that my favorite flower embroidered on the sleeve? hmm?” The Prince smiled

Taemin giggled with an eye-smile “Maybe.”

They all touched at his clothing, rubbing its soft fabric between their finger and thumb. The Crown Prince asked “My mother helped with this?”

“Yes, isn’t it handsome?”

The prince breathed dreamily “Yes. You’re Beautiful.” then sighed softly as he gazed tenderly at Taemin.

Minho nudged his elbow and whispered “Hyung-nim, your staring at Master Taeminah” They all had a nice giggle over the prince and his boyish smile he was wearing.

“Oh, yes.” he cleared his throat, and clearing his mind he professionally stated “I meant this is very nice.” Laughter and another round of cooing and teasing from their dear friends ensued.

The five official adults as a group walked around and mingled with the crowd as a happy unit. They embodied the heart of The SHINee Kingdom. What it truly meant for a subject of the land to be “SHINee”: Loyal, intelligent, witty, humorous, kindness, strength, love and friendship. The 5 were great role models and very popular amongst all classes of the Kingdom; beloved and respected by all. There wasn’t a soul in the entire SHINee World that hadn’t heard of them. No one ever had a bad word to say about them. The Crown Prince and Master Taemin would not have a problem getting married; all the people were on their side and encouraged it: couldn’t wait actually... 

Adorable older ladies of Taemin’s village came up to Kim Kibum, pulling him aside. “Advisor-Kim, When is the big day?” One grandmother asked with a big smile.

Kibum smiled “The King and Queen have not asked Prince Jinki to marry Master Taemin yet, grandmother.”

“But they will right?” another female elder asked.

He smirked cutely. “Are you trying to spread gossip?”

The old lady blushed as the handsome man smiled at her. “I want the Crown Prince to be happy. Taemin makes him so happy. They are a lovely couple.”

Kibum smoothly said “Halmoni, you are very lovely as well.” His handsome smile and the comment made the elderly ladies giggle as if they were teenagers.  “Once the Prince asks for Master Lee’s hand, everyone will know. I’m sure you pretty ladies won’t have to wait that long.” He winked. “If they make a royal statement that they are marrying, I will inform you personally. I promise.”

“Thank you Advisor-nim.”

“Enjoy the rest of the festivities, my sweet noona’s.” Kibum said making the grandmothers blush “I should get back to my job making sure the prince is doing well.”

“Make sure He tells Master Taeminah he loves him. Tell Master Taemin congratulations. Make sure they get together.”

Kibum chuckled. “I will, halmoni” He bowed respectfully.

Kibum returned to his group. “The old ladies love you Taemin. If you two don’t get married they will cry.”

“Hmm?” Taemin giggled.

“Plus, I think I just flirted with your town elder’s wife.”

They laughed.

Minho teased “you smooth talker you.”

“The point is, everyone is ready to support you both.” Kibum smiled. “This is great news! I always knew it though.”

But it had Taemin thinking…Everything had been skillfully crafted by the King and Queen:  taking time and lessons and hard work and effort into getting the younger ready to be a royal spouse one day and the SHINee World ready to accept them as a married couple…but when was Prince Jinki going to ask him? Will it be in a few weeks? A month? Another year? No one really has talked about a marriage in ages to him. Of course Prince Jinki didn’t want them too so it would be a complete surprise, the crown prince however talked about it with his parents all the time.…

While they shared in a glass or two of alcohol to celebrate the youngest becoming an official adult, Taemin looked over at his manly courter..was Jinki smiling an awful lot? Jinki’s eyes looked extra dreamy today…. he seemed he couldn’t take his eyes off Taemin. …At one point they locked gazes: Taemin blushed madly; Jinki winked handsomely; Taemin thought “Oh! I bet I am going to get a mature kiss as a present! Since he gave me perfume and a flower earlier.” He watched Jinki’s eyes fall to his sleeve. Was Jinki staring at his golden flower? “OMO its today!!!!” Taemin quickly looked away with a smile plastered on his face.

Jinki however was thinking about it none stop for weeks. Today was the day he would propose.  As tradition: privately in the Queen’s Garden behind the palace. His parents were aware of his wishes. Romantics themselves, they had come up with a plan to get Taemin back to the palace for the important private question….

The King and Queen suggested to the Lee’s to stay for a few days at the palace if they wished. The Lee parents said they would come tomorrow since they had to mingle with the rest of their guests tonight and in the morning with their guests as well, for those that would spend the night in their home. Thus the younger’s parents would come later in the day tomorrow but Taemin was allowed to go with them tonight…

…….

Taemin was spending the night at the palace ...everyone was sleeping in their rooms safe for Prince Jinki.  Slipping down the quiet halls of the grand home and still in his aqua hanbok Jinki made his way stealthily to Taemin’s room. 

Hearing a soft knock upon his wooden door, Taemin slid it open, only poking his head out enough to see who would be knocking at such a late hour and what he saw was Prince Jinki standing there smiling handsomely like always. “Come Taem, I want to show you something.” He whispered.

“Jinki?”  He blushed. “I..I can’t... I’m in my night robes.” He giggled shyly and tightened his belt making sure Jinki couldn’t see anything beneath his garments even though he was hiding behind the door.

 “May I come in then? You wouldn’t want the crown prince catching a cold in the drafty hallway would you?”

Taemin batted his lashes “oh, no, no, no of course not.” He slid open the door wider.

“Taemin I was kidding, I won’t get a cold.” He said as he walked inside casting his eyes away towards the room’s inner wall so he wouldn’t catch a glimpse of Taemin in his undressed state.  “You don’t have to do what I say just because I’m the future king.” He chuckled; trying to break the almost awkward atmosphere he accidently created in his rush. A night robe and his hair: for their time period in history it was like Taemin was practically and Jinki had been too excited to propose he just noticed what he had done once he entered. Always a gentleman though the prince looked away, anywhere but at Taemin once he crossed the threshold just in case there would be anything revealing on Taemin at this late hour.

“Jinki hyung, I … what are you doing here? You cannot be seen in my room. Its..” He blushed deeply and shyly whispered “... I need clothes on” He held his night robes tightly closed even though the prince had his gaze lowered to the ground at this point, the hardwood floor was so interesting at the moment. The prince was also facing away from him.

 “I am sorry. I am extremely embarrassed. I didn’t mean to barge in. I had to see you about something. I wasn’t thinking...um. I’m sorry Taemin. I have no excuse.”

Taemin was blushing the deepest red known to mankind “It’s, Its alright, hyung. I know you aren’t looking and wont..”  He giggled nervously and his old habit of batting his lashes rapidly returned.

The prince reassured him “I didn’t see anything.”

The younger replied softly “I know.” Taemin grabbed clothes and stealthily went behind his folding screen without the elder’s knowledge to change into his hanbok but didn’t remove his robe just yet; he clutched his day clothes to his chest as he hid.

“I’ll leave. I should not be here when you’re um.” The prince blushed just as deeply.

“I’m not mad but what did you need to talk to me about that was so urgent hyung? Are you okay? Is everything all right?” Loving concern laced his voice.

“I came to say I would like to take a walk under the stars.” Jinki felt like he ruined the night; he sighed feeling stupid.

“Oh...” Taemin blushed once more.

“I'll wait outside. I should have waited outside and never had come in. I..um.. yeah. Sorry.” he began opening the door to sneak out.

Taemin murmured “Hyung?”

He stopped in his tracks “neh?”

Hopeful, the new adult asked “Are you going to give me my...my coming of age kiss?” his voice floated like quiet music in the air.

“Yes Taemin. I’m sorry I ruined it.”

“You didn’t my sweet prince.”

“When we got back to the palace everything was busy and we got separated and next thing I knew everyone went to bed…So I had to wait to come talk to you. Plus you kissed me in the moonlight when I came of age. I wanted to do the same for you. So I thought this would work out well. Again I am so sorry for coming in while you are undressed.”

Taemin giggled “I understand..I was starting to think you were not going to return my present today. But this is better; I think it’s kind of cute how happy you are about it.”

Jinki sighed again. “Cute” was not what he was going for. He chuckled weakly. “I was going for romantic Taemin.”

“It is a romantic idea” Taemin had changed his clothes without his knowledge while they were talking and walked out behind the folding screen and placed his hand on the prince’s shoulder; startling the older, making him widen his eyes thinking he was still undressed. “Taemin, we…. I have to wait outside...we aren’t married.”

Taemin whispered “Turn around and help me braid my hair.”

 A little lightheaded Jinki’s mouth went dry; did he just hear him correctly?  “We aren’t married Taemin, I would never take advantage of you..”

“Hyung, I am dressed in day clothes now. But I need help with my hair just in case someone sees us.”

“Oh.” He turned around slowly.

“Thank you hyung, for those kind words. Always a gentleman. Makes me love you more; I trust you.” They blushed madly at one another. Jinki was speechless, his courter was beautiful with his long black hair framing his face loosely unlike usual; Jinki’s heart skipped a beat. A bit nervous, Taemin blinked, bashfully looking down then back up; his canine worrying against his plump bottom lip a moment as the elder gazed upon his blushing face;  Taemin re-tucked his hair behind his ear: still feeling in his presence with his hair undone. The younger broke the silence; he blinked sweetly and shyly murmured “Hyung, my hair?”

Jinki blinked and unfroze; his fingers slightly shaky as he cleared his throat..“Yes, yes, of course.”

Taemin turned around slowly for this was risky if someone were to walk in; besides the servants that helped dress them, only a spouse could have the view of one’s hair unraveled. They had touched each other’s bangs before or a stray hair but this…this was different, so intimate… Taemin’s long raven hair cascading down his back made Jinki’s mind a little fuzzy and his goal to marry him even greater.  Long ebony silky strands soon slid between the prince’s fingers and a soft peaceful silence fell upon them in the intimate moment. The prince couldn’t see the huge smile on the younger’s blushing face. Jinki never focused so hard in his entire life as his fingers moved between the thick soft locks…hair over and under, over and under… He felt pride as he worked his way down the braid: knowing only he would have the honor of seeing and touching Taemin like this. 

Clearing his throat again.. “hm, hmm. Ok, there, finished. I did an ok job.” He chuckled awkwardly.

The younger replied softly “Thank you” Taemin turned around placing his hand in his. “Thank you for taking care of me.” Taemin pecked his lips, melting Jinki’s nerves; reassuring the prince he had done nothing wrong, just surprised him is all. Jinki rested his forehand on his; they giggled cutely. “Thank you, Taemin, for allowing me to.” Jinki tugged gently on his hand.. “Come, I believe a present is awaiting you outside.”

The ends of Taemin’s lips curled up handsomely in a soft smile. The prince opened the door, peeked his head out: no one was around; he pulled his head back inside and pecked Taemin’s cheek “I love you.” “I love you too.” With a smile and hand in hand The Prince led Taemin away…

The young love birds mirrored their steps from four years ago; walking along the stones across the courtyard to the pagoda in the moonlight… Jinki affectionately squeezed his hand and talked about his ceremony and was complimenting him and his family….Taemin smiled as they neared the spot of their 1st grown up kiss but they had been talking causally about random things along the way that the younger quickly got lost in conversation…: The prince distracting him intentionally so they could walk past the pagoda and onward toward the secret garden…

The soft warm voice of the elder accompanied the soft padding their feet made along the ground. “Congratulations on becoming an adult Taemin.”

“Thank you hyung.”

“We sure have grown a lot since we were children….” As he spoke they walked behind the palace and through the entrance of the private gardens with the midnight sun lighting their path.  “…You most of all. It makes me feel happy to see how far you’ve come…it also makes me proud to call you mine too. You’ve helped me be the man I am. I am a better prince because of you.” He giggled cutely, smiling making the younger blush slightly in the pale light. “When you kissed me maturely when I came of age, I feel it gave me life.”… Jinki stopped walking..

Too busy walking Taemin had forgot about the kiss he wanted badly under the pagoda.  The younger agreed “What you feel and felt, it’s the same for me.” Once finished with his sentence Taemin became aware where they had stopped; looked around and found himself with the prince in the private royal gardens. But before his brain could process anything else Jinki began again: The prince had his complete attention..

“Taemin, I would like to give you your final present. I may not be a poet like you but...This gift, it represents my promise I will love you forever and forever as we grow older together. Think of this kiss to help you feel my love for you when I am out of arms length. With this kiss I give you a piece of me. This day that you have become a man, I give a part of my soul…When I kiss you on our wedding night our souls will marry together as well, never to break apart.” Jinki placed his hand on the small of the boy’s back and stepped sideways out of the moonlight. Cloaked in the shade of a tree Jinki romantically kissed him maturely. Giving them more privacy, the clouds gently covered the moon, shielding the heavens eyes from the intimate moment… A romantic dance of their warm lips made their hearts skyrocket up to the velvet sky, lingering with the moon high above behind the clouds, the soft brush of tongue against tongue as love surged throughout them; deepening the kiss passionately and sweetly romantic; the younger man sighed, feeling lighter than air as if floating to heaven.

…Distracted with the kiss, Taemin hadn’t realized the prince had gently held Taemin’s wrist, placing the boy’s palm to his heart until the kissed ended. Taemin blinked beautifully, feeling the fabric of Jinki’s silky robes beneath his palm. “Feel my heart?” Jinki murmured handsomely. Jinki’s hand pressed lightly in to the back of Taemin’s.  Even though Jinki’s silky pearl aqua hanbok was thick, Taemin could feel what the prince wanted him to feel; Taemin felt his boyfriend’s rhythmic heartbeats thumping fast just beneath the cloth, pounding like a man in love. Happily smiling tenderly; The Prince’s sweet deep nectar voice spoke softly “You make it beat so fast, Taemin. You gave it something to beat for: You.”

The prince placed his free hand on Taemin’s heart too, feeling the same love pounding heartbeat. Jinki felt it was just like in his family’s story: Their hearts beating as one, thumping in unison. It was time… “You make my heart beat like a man’s.” 

The boy said breathily “I, I can feel it.”  While pressing into Jinki’s chest more.  Taemin’s own heart raced faster, manlier than ever as he felt the pulse of his boyfriend under his palm. “and..my heart does too.” he murmured;  Taemin closed his eyes, feeling Jinki’s fingers upon his clothed chest applying a bit of pressure.

Scooting closer the prince softly murmured airily “I feel it Taemin.”

The younger opened his eyes slowly; clouds sweeping past unblocking the moon, they locked eyes with one another. “Sit with me Taeminah” He slid his hand away from the younger’s chest and into his palm.

They sat in a lovely patch of yellow flowers sitting side by side holding hands, leaning comfortably against each other. They didn’t need words, enjoying the others company awhile peacefully until Jinki took a deep breath and sat up a bit, Taemin’s head on the prince’s shoulder, tilted up to look him in the eye. They smiled warmly at one another with tender eyes…Taemin placed his hand on the prince’s heart once more. Jinki looked down and kissed him, Taemin felt it race again. Taemin blushed, smiling into the sweet open mouthed kiss; he felt the fabric of his hanbok press against his own chest letting him know Jinki was feeling his manly heartbeat as well. With his free hand, the prince felt around the ground near Taemin’s leg…Jinki stealthily plucked a bright yellow flower from the thousands that blanketed the garden all around them. As he slowly detached lips he gently placed the flower behind Taemin’s ear: fulfilling his family tradition “Our hearts belong together. Will you honor me by making them one? Will you marry me, Lee Taemin?” gazing lovingly at one another they smiled brightly.  The prince felt the younger man’s heart speed faster as if it were trying to leap out to the prince; Misty eyed and overjoyed Taemin answered softly “Yes, Prince Jinki.” Jinki pecked his lips chastely.

Taemin tucked his bottom lip under his top teeth as he grinned cutely before declaring softly “The honor is all mine my sweet prince.” He joyfully pressed his lips to his future husband’s maturely once more.

They giggled sweetly and snuggled into one another. He laid his ear over the Prince’s heart; Taemin sighed dreamily. He reached up, touching the hibiscus tucked behind the curve of his ear; he giggled again. “Ever since you told me about your family…I always dreamed of getting my flower. I can’t wait to be part of your story, your family.”

“Aw,” Jinki kissed the younger’s head before pillowing his head on top of his fiancés. “I dreamed about it every day too jagiya.  10 long years; every day since I was a boy.” Overwhelmed with happiness with the “yes” he had received Jinki admired his groom-to- be’s handsomeness; He was awestruck over his pure beauty, Taemin sure did look radiant under the starlit sky sitting in the garden snuggled close to him. Taemin breathily sighed again and then the prince added “I bet you’re prettier than the very first Angel Queen of our Kingdom. You sure are extra beautiful tonight. Like a genuine angel.” Taemin was flattered but little did the young men know there was a reason for why he looked like a true angel but the answer will reveal its self when the time is right until then Jinki thought he was just amazingly gorgeous tonight and Taemin enjoyed the compliment: both thinking nothing of it and loving the tender moment. “Thank you.” Taemin leaned up and kissed him maturely…a lingering kiss imprinting the moment in their memories forever……

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The TaeFanart  image I used at the top of this chapter came from here