Premonition

The Crown Prince

…….Chapter 15……..

Engagement Period (the 2 months leading up to The Royal Wedding)

 

The next day after the night long celebration while Leeteuk was busy plotting treason outside the city walls for a few hours Chief Choi requested General Choi to double the guards and the patrols around the palace like Prince Jinki ordered him to do and it was carried out accordingly. Leeteuk had returned from Shindong's without anyone knowing he had left. …….

He stayed due to the weekend long festivities and leaving during would not look good whatsoever. He and his right hand man Heechul were watched like a hawk by the 5 young men.   Nothing suspicious or out of the ordinary. It was like it never happened. Which was in its self almost suspicious to Jonghyun….

“Hyung-nim. Your cousin leaves tomorrow on Monday and I haven’t been insulted by him today like normal.” He said as he sat with him in his chambers, relaxing keeping his friend company while the prince worked on his studies.

“Don’t worry, you will be.” Jinki smirked playfully.    “Here you want to paint something while I finish up with this work?” he handed him a sheet of Hanji to paint on….

The Prince’s Chambers were spacious and wide with Jinki’s bed sectioned off from the main open area/room. In the main room is where he liked to sit for leisure on big comfy rectangle cushions when his four friends came to visit when he wasn’t studying. When he was studying he sat on smaller square pearl aqua cushions in the middle of the area behind his small dark wooden writing table he’d pull from the side of the room. A few small tables along the walls accented the room. One for writing, one had a vase of flowers. Hidden behind decorative sliding doors in the back of the upscale room was his pyungsang (bed) that was draped in a canopy. There was a dark wooden chest standing beside his bed and a matching wardrobe on the other side and another taller table with a single drawer which held a golden mirror and on the table’s top it had a blue and white porcelain water jug sitting in a large matching porcelain bowl with pretty blue designs, for washing up. Out of bad habit the prince sometimes left his sliding doors open, and today was one of those days; Jonghyun had been staring into the bedroom….“Nah, your bed sheets look softer than mine. Can I just lie on your bedding?”

Jinki snickered “Sure….But you know I can have a servant give you better sheets.”

“No, then I won’t have an excuse to come bother you and nap in peace.”

Jinki pursed his lips and shot him a look playfully. “You are not napping. You keep talking.”

“Well, you keep bothering me. You should probably do some prince stuff.”

Jinki laughed “Prince stuff?”

“Yeah.” Jonghyun smiled and stood up and walked into the bedroom and laid down. He sprawled out his limbs then rolled on to his back, spreading out again like a star on the red shiny fabric.  “ahh, now this is better.” He drew his arms up and in, sliding them under his head; clasping his fingers together.

Jinki threw a seat cushion from the floor at him. “Don’t drool in your sleep. I don’t want it to stain the silk” He teased.

Jonghyun grabbed the cushion from the air. “Ah thanks hyung. I needed a pillow.”

Jinki chuckled again. …Jinki may seem playful but he didn’t want his friends to worry and he wanted to seem calm and carry on as normal. He thought: If he was strong so would they be. He nodded with that idea in his mind and got back to his work while his friend slept.

  …………..

Prince Taemin was finished meeting with the Queen and a guard announced Taemin’s presence on the other side of the door. “Come in” Jinki smiled.

“hyung-nim” Taemin greeted but laughed once he saw Jonghyun sound asleep. “What is that about?”

“He works so much and has to stay up late. He needed a rest. He said his sheets aren’t soft in his quarters. I offered to give him mine. But he declined…To be honest I think he is going to marry my bed. I think I heard a moan.”

Taemin laughed then walked next to the bed and sat on the floor. Elegantly holding the long sleeve of his hanbok out of the way the younger prince reached his right arm out over the bedding and felt the performers forehead “Poor Jonghyun hyung, you are worried about hyung-nim aren’t you?”

Jinki sighed sadly “I know he is worried, jagiya. I do know that is why he can’t sleep. I just, I feel just as helpless, they want to help us and we want to help them.”

“It’s how friendship works hyung.”

‘”I know, its just… I don’t want them to worry..Well I do, you know, be diligent and stuff but I don’t want them to or you to be …I am not making any sense. Sorry Taemin I have too much on my mind. I feel I am letting you down, not strong enough for you. I do not mean to show a weak side, my love.”

“Hyung you make perfect sense. I feel the same. You do not think me weak do you? You are most certainly not weak being human. This side shows how truly strong you are. Concerned about us above yourself. A selfless angelic prince and a man. Soon to be my man. I love you. Always know that I am by your side. Pride and honor is what I feel being yours.”

“I love you Taemin-ah, you always know what to say.”

“I say what is true.”

Jinki smiled “Is Minho still trailing you?”

“Yes.”

“Good.  How’s Kibum?”

“Busy with work. But I visited him earlier before I had my regular scheduled visit with your mother.” Taemin stood up and sat next to his Prince in the common area and placed his hand on the back of Jinki’s. “Jinki hyung, I have learned of how a Queen protects her King. .. many many years from now, you’ll be my King and my duties will be helping you. And technically it will be my duty even before you are king…once we are married in 2 months..Let me help you now.”

“Help me?”

The queen says when the King is stressed about matters she helps him feel really relaxed. I was thinking of ways as I walked to your quarters. I thought of tea and soothing music. Or sitting with you near the pond so we could listen to birds and enjoy the koi swimming around…but then I thought maybe she didn’t mean that.”

“Taemin?” Jinki blushed deeply and looked over his shoulder at the bed then back to his fiancé and whispered “We are not alone.”

Taemin smiled; blushing madly. “I wasn’t going to say..what did you think I was going to say?”

“Um nothing.”The Prince looked down at his paper; feeling embarrassed.

 Taemin covered his shy giggle with this hand. “Hyung” he murmured.  “Not like that. We aren’t married yet. I meant like this. Just letting you talk..Was it helping?”

Jinki smiled softly. “Yes, I’m sorry I thought of..”

Taemin put a finger to his lips. “shh” Taemin glanced over to the bed then back to Jinki. “Come, let’s go somewhere different to talk.”

“But I haven’t finished my work.”

“no no, come with me. It’s my job to unstress your mind. And not like that hyung.” He chuckled

Jinki smirked “Taemin, stop bringing it up. Then I’ll think about it.”

Shifting, Jonghyun rolled over onto his stomach, his leg fell off the bed. They giggled “shh, hyung.”

“sorry.”

“If you say sorry one more time.”

He said “Sorry” again just to make Taemin laugh his beautiful laugh.

“Get going, prince-nim.” They giggled cutely as they snuck out of the room...Taemin successfully helped the prince for the moment, saving him from his worries and thoughts…not because of his duty as his future husband but out of pure love like anyone in love would do. 

They walked out of the room. Jinki spotted Minho outside, he nodded to him. Minho slowly followed at a distance giving them privacy. The two were use to people following them, either servants and or guards. It didn’t bother them, it felt normal.

They had been talking about random things, Taemin even recited a poem. They were enjoying their afternoon happily until they saw Leeteuk passing on the other side of the huge courtyard. They glanced at each other then to him. Leeteuk bowed, and remained that way until they finished pass him. “That was weird” Taemin said. “He has never bowed to us all weekend” Taemin looked to Jinki who looked ill and his mind seemed to be somewhere else. “Hyung?”

“I’m fine.” He blinked, trying to clear his head “I’m Just thinking about my parents. Can’t they live forever?”

He gasped “Hyung” Taemin got misty eyed at the depressing thought. “They will live a long time.” Jinki had a blank look on his face as he walked in silence “Or do you not want to be King?”

Jinki stopped “Yes, I want to fulfill my destiny. I must…” He turned and looked at the younger prince “I had a bad dream last night.”  

“What of?”

“I do not know if I should say.”

“Let me help hyung, remember talk to me. It will work. Trust me.”

Jinki sighed “I had a dream I saw my mother dead.”

Taemin froze “aww, Hyung, I’m so sorry.”

Jinki’s lip quivered, Taemin saw and quickly guided him towards the nearest building, to shield his highness’s tears from others. Taemin had walked him in to the library which was thankfully empty. Minho became alarmed and ran up to them; catching up he opened the doors. “Is everything alright?” Jinki’s back was to him when he entered and remained that way; Taemin calmly with a smile ushered Minho outside. “Yes, of course. I just want to talk about wedding things.”

“Why did you take off so fast?”

Taemin lied for his prince “Ok, you got me. I wanted to hug him while we talked about our wedding. Don’t tell anyone I let the prince hug me and hold my hand. Got it? Protocol says royals cannot show public displays of affection you know.” He smiled cutely.

“Yes of course Taemin, Jinki hyung. I will keep everyone away.”

“Thank you Minho hyung” He slowly shut the door then walked up to Jinki, rubbing his back tenderly hearing Jinki cry softly. It broke Taemin’s heart seeing Jinki so sad; Taemin s his arms around his waist comforting him with a back hug. “It’s ok hyung. It was just a dream.”

“Taemin it was a nightmare, it felt so real. She was very ill, then her eyes...the light in her eyes were just gone. I couldn’t save my mother.”

“Is there any way you could have? Maybe if you have the dream again you can try..maybe some medicine?”

“No. I don’t think I could have saved her. But somehow in my dream I feel like I caused her death. And then the dream flashed in my mind when I saw Leeteuk.” A silent tear rolled down his handsome face. Taemin couldn’t see it, but he didn’t have to see it to know he was crying, he heard it is his soft weary voice.

Taemin hushed soothingly “my love, you would never harm your mother, how is it your fault she got ill, my sweet prince?”

“Taemin?” He turned around slowly. “What if it’s a sign?”

“You would not harm your mother.”

“I mean..is she dying?”

“noo, shh shh.” He hugged him again. “It’s just a nightmare”

“It feels like a premonition?”

“Really?”

“Leeteuk said if “he was on the throne”.. Would he go as far as kill my parents? I have been thinking about it ever since the other night.”

Taemin nibbled his lip, he didn’t want to admit it but he thought of the same thing, they all did. In that moment Jinki saw it in Taemin’s eyes. They both weld up with tears; Taemin’s voice trembled slightly as he tried to be brave for Jinki “Well isn’t that why we have extra guards following them and us?” The younger swallowed the lump in his throat then cupped Jinki’s face, softly thumbing over his tear damp cheeks.

He answered softly “Yes” then slid his arms around his future spouse. “I love you Taemin.”

“I love you too, Jinki”

“I can’t wait to marry you. I can’t live without you.”He kissed Taemin’s shoulder, then rested his chin back on top of it and sighed.

…..They stayed in the embrace for many minutes as they pondered the future together in silence….

 Taemin slowly pulled out of the hug. “My sweet prince?” He whispered softly..shyly..

“mm?”

“That thing you thought of…..what you thought I’d do, to help you relax.”

“Taemin” Jinki chuckled

“No, listen to me. I can’t do that with you but a kiss. A kiss to melt our thoughts away? We’ve only kissed like grownups those two nights: 4 years ago when you became an adult and then again a few nights ago when I did.”

“Those were special occasions Taemin; the 3rd is for our wedding night.”

Taemin felt embarrassed, he lowered his eyes. “Oh, I’m sorry. I just wanted to help. It was silly of me at a moment like this. I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to disrespect you or your parents and the important issues that surround all of this. I just want to help the man I love.”

Jinki cupped Taemin’s cheek. “Do not be sorry. I am sorry Taemin. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad or hurt your pride. I know you are being helpful. And it is helping. You are not making me upset or being disrespectful… Let me explain..” He thumbed over Taemin’s blushing cheeks. Taemin’s eyes remained adverted; The prince softly murmured “Taemin, look at me.” Taemin blinked, and slowly tilted his head up as he looked at Jinki’s lip’s.. The prince cooed softly “Tae”  … Taemin finally slowly looked up still completely embarrassed for suggesting it.. “I dreamt of it. Dreamt of it often over the years. The kiss, It’s as beautiful as you.”.. He paused; they locked eyes “How it would go…. You were very handsome in my dream. You let me unbraid your softer than silk hair.” He blushed. So did Taemin as he tried not to smile but failed; Taemin shyly batted his lashes quickly a few times as Jinki stepped closer, handsomely towering over him. Jinki’s voice became quieter, and deeper: romantic “I lay you down, on a bed of colorful petals, one from every flower in the garden, which I personally plucked myself. I kiss you…” He rested his head on Taemin’s forehead  ...“ kissed you like a husband should kiss his partner. I always thought that would be our 3rd and start of many more nights of kissing you.” he lifted his head and kissed Taemin’s forehead and looked him in the eyes “So as you see..I never thought you’d want to kiss me like a man again until we were married…So I’ve waited. So it would be special for you..for us... but I realize we are in love and it will be special each time anytime.”

Taemin blinked again and a tear slipped from his damp lashes “Hyung, that was so sweet. I..I don’t know what to say.”

“Say you’ll kiss me?” They leaned into one another and soon the world faded into the background as did their fears and worries as the young lovers sealed their lips together… Hearts fluttering with the swoop of their moving lips and the gentle dance of tender tongues: kissing like men deepening the kiss passionately, until all pain was washed away and replaced with loving pure thoughts….Clearing their minds of Leeteuk and the nightmare...A fresh start so they could focus on the present; their love and the wedding… 

……………….1 month later…………..

From that day forward the couple let their three friends worry for them as they wished to do for the couple. Their friendly loving loyalty helped the two princes resume their daily schedules and wedding preparations.

Going on as if everything was normal and it did appear to be normal. Leeteuk and his entourage had left after that weekend was over.  Minho and Jonghyun would stealthily leave together to check up on the Lord though, reporting back to Kibum ever detail.  Weeks passed; a full month: came quickly but there were no signs of treachery….

….

Two weeks later; it marked the day Leeteuk and Heechul were to check on the progress of their potions….Under the cloak of night to be unseen they rode on horseback to the heinous healer’s….Leeteuk stood in the small dirty old house. “It’s been a month and a half. So are they ready?”

“Almost my lord. They are brewing and fermenting. A few more weeks and this will be powerful stuff. I want to make sure their changes happen quickly. So He and She cannot speak of it. They’ll be squeaking like the rodents they are.” 

The lord’s corrupt advisor asked “Will it be ready before the wedding?”

“Yes, or they can drink it at the wedding. It’s flavorless; A drink of fine rice wine mixed with this and over night, they will get ill and by morning the king and queen will be mice scattering around the palace floors where they belong.”

Leeteuk smiled “I can see it now. Jinki pouring Taemin his own poisonous potion in their wedding chambers then the lovers getting ill as they consummate their marriage.”  The vile man cackled madly lusting on greedy ambitions…..

……………….

Chief Choi and Jonghyun came to report again… no news of helpful importance… Without evidence against Leeteuk, Kibum frustratedly groaned and began to pace the floor….. Kibum being just as kindhearted as the crown prince; he thought: Maybe, Leeteuk just hated Jinki and his love of his friends and especially his romantic love for the young Prince Taemin but that is no crime. Did they over react? Just because they hated him so much to begin with because he was always mean and disrespectful to them? Leeteuk is mean, did we stoop to his level by assuming such a thing from the lord? He is a royal after all; would he kill his own family? Kibum could never fathom  such dark evil: Kibum could never kill his own family so how could anyone else kill theirs? He began to doubt his own actions for a moment; Kibum felt embarrassed and apologized to Minho and Jonghyun for upsetting everyone over an empty threat the Lord had made in ignorance and anger. But in reality Kibum was frustrated and stressed out; he wanted to help Jinki and Taemin with all his heart; he felt helpless; he walked away to give his apologies to the princes.  Jonghyun and Minho told him not to apologies to them or to the two princes. Jonghyun had told the advisor he had done the right thing in telling them about the threat; he said its better safe than sorry and suggested the three of them too act normal for the sake of the couple. The three vowed to do so and continue to keep an eye out for the Lord just in case…

……….………

Leeteuk had visited the palace twice during the month...but that wasn’t out of the ordinary: he did sometimes have work in the executive office with other officials due to his title and status. Leeteuk never uttered a hateful word when visiting; he showed formal respect to Jinki and Taemin, intentionality of course. Which angered the three friends because they knew he didn’t mean it. If the devoted trio were with the princes they would make sure to block Leeteuk from their view if they saw him around. Taemin and Jinki never saw him the entire time outside of meetings they’d attended with officials thanks to the three loyal men.   

Over the weeks everything seemed to have fallen back to the way it use to be. Taemin and Jinki smiled all the time when Prince Taemin came to visit for his scheduled meetings with the Queen and his courting dates with the Crown Prince.  The quintet met privately in the evenings when they could when the youngest came to visit as usual; The prince’s room filled with laugher and conversations as they played and talked like they always had…The more the normal Jinki and Taemin felt the safe the three made Taemin and Jinki feel..And by the end of that month Jinki and Taemin forgot about it and were able to truly enjoy their time together and be excited for their upcoming wedding. 

Taemin and Jinki however knew they had been working hard to keep them safe and happy and as stress free as possible and trying to make them forget and for the most part they truly did forget. The two Princes truly were grateful and appreciated it more than words can describe for their effort and one night thanked them as they shared a bottle of alcohol together like men. The three didn’t want to be thanked; it was their honor and privilege. Jonghyun smiled “Even if you weren’t who you guys are. We’d still do this for you. And you would do the same for us..it’s what friends…it's what brothers do.”

The five were all so kind, and protective of one another. There was a moment of peaceful and sentimental silence upon them as they thought of all the years they have been congregating like this. Boys to grown men; the fun times they all had, the powerful and meaningful bond they had built. Good times and the bad...well before they could get to the recent bad thoughts Kibum saved the moment and raised his glass “To the SHINee brotherhood!” Minho got a little misty eyed “brothers!” he cheered. 

Jinki giggled his adorable giggle that matched his mothers “Minho is a softy.” The band of brothers chuckled. To be honest they had all gotten a little puddley eyed. But the fun resumed and everything went back to normal for the night and for up till the time of the wedding…

 So all in all, life itself was fine the whole month they have been engaged. No signs of a plot since the clever traitor, Leeteuk, used Shindong, a man they didn’t know whom lived on the outskirts of the city in the woods off the beaten path.

…The quintet was focused on the wedding, But three of them were vigilant just in case, although nothing ever happened out of the ordinary that even they calmed a bit after the night with the two princes and when they got the chance they focused on keeping Jinki and Taemin happy and distracted from thoughts of the Lord just like they had been doing and eventually the 3 also fell back into a comfortable state enjoying Jinki and Taemin and their happiness; while all along, behind their backs and out of sight of prying eyes, the dishonorable Lord was indeed carrying out his scheme. And before the two princes knew it another full month had passed and the wedding month was upon them…

 

........

The following month…The wedding month…

(2 weeks before wedding)

Jonghyun didn’t have to perform today, the crown prince gave him the day off; he decided on visiting Prince Taemin in his village and having a friendly afternoon as they skipped stones in the pond behind the younger’s home. He ended up following Taemin around while he worked. He joked that it was just like visiting Jinki for he was always busy as well, to which Taemin giggled. Eventually Taemin had finished all his work and played with him. Minho and Kibum were playing a game with the prince while eating lunch in one of the pretty courtyards, and watching the fish swim near the small bridge; Just a typical day for the five friends interacting with one another. Meanwhile Leeteuk was checking on his poisons…

After bowing Shindong motioned to the jars in which they stewed. “They are almost done”

Leeteuk anxiously asked “When will they be ready? The wedding is in two weeks.”

“Not long at all; by nightfall they shall be ready to be lovely wedding presents.” He sickly chuckled.

With a contemptuous smirk Leeteuk hummed wickedly “Perfect.” He pated the shorter man on his shoulder then turned to the other male. “Heechul, stay the night until they are finished. Do not return home without them.”

“Yes, My lord.” 

Shindong added “They will remember everything but slowly over time forget their human lives then soon forgetting how to speak human as well until their souls are completely dissolved into the animals: full transformation.  Some stay as animals and live as normal beasts. However some animal bodies, within weeks of full transformation, cannot cope and die after there are no traces left of their former human selves.”

Leeteuk committed it to memory and replied “Understood.”

……………….

Later that night Jonghyun came to visit with the crown prince. “Hello, hyung-nim.”

“Good Evening, brother. Please come in and tell me about Taemin. Does he look handsome? Did his wedding hanbok fit? How are his mother and father? Did he eat well? Send my love to him? Does he miss me?”

“Yes, hyung” He chuckled.

“Is it two weeks yet?”

The younger snickered “No hyung.” He patted him on his shoulder

Jinki giggled and eye-smiled. “I can’t wait to be a married man. It will be so lovely.” He sighed dreamily and laid back on the floor where he had be sitting; He crossed his hands behind his head.

Jonghyun smiled and laid next to him copying his pose. “You’ll be a great husband just like your father. The queen always smiles, I know Taemin will too.”

The prince playful remarked “Well, when one marries a Lee of course they would smile..we are pretty amazing.” He smirked handsomely making the younger laugh.

“Hyung, Taemin is a Lee too.”

“I know which will make double the smiles.” He chuckled cutely.

“You two are so cute. I really do wish you two the best and a life time of happiness.”

“Thank you.”

There was a moment of peaceful silence as they stared up at the ceiling’s intricate royal designs.

“So hyung, Are you ready for your signing lessons?”

“Yes, I am ready to practice” The two sat up “I really hope Taemin likes it.”

“He will love it hyung-nim. I promise! When you sing for him as a wedding present, he is going to faint.”

Jinki blushed “Will he?”

“Oh yeah. No doubt. Your voice is flawless. If you ever give up the whole princedom thing you can be my singing partner.” He said playfully.

Recoiling his head, the prince smiled goofily and replied almost instantly “Um, no.” They both laughed.

“But seriously, my parents, sister, and I will play our kayagum’s as your voice enchants Taemin’s heart.” 

“Excellent, then let’s begin. I think I have it almost memorized.”

As the two rehearsed the night away the chief and advisor rode out on their horses to check up on Taemin. They ate dinner with Taemin’s family and afterwards went on a walk enjoying the warm orange sunset. “So, excited prince Taemin?” Minho grinned happily.

“Oh yes, very. My hanbok is all fitted and everything is ready. I have memorized the steps of the wedding ceremony so I do not make any mistakes. How is Jinki hyung today? Did he send me any messages?”

Kibum smirked and like always every time he came to visit, he looked around; seeing no one was present Kibum threw his arms around the younger.  “He sends his love, Taemin-nim.” He pulled out of the brotherly embrace before they proceeded to enjoy the evening. As the 5 were all occupied, joyfully chatting about or practicing for the upcoming wedding, on the outer edge of the SHINee City and Taemin’s village Heechul was proudly leaving the devil’s dwelling with 7 deadly vials of poison……