Deception

The Crown Prince

 

…………………Chapter 18…………………

After saying good evening to their parents in the buildings in which they slept, the crown prince entered his own chambers and his blushing husband followed behind. Jinki slid the doors closed behind the younger. A little shy suddenly, Taemin softly began almost in a whisper as he watched him latch the doors closed “Thank you for the song. It was lovely.”

“I’m so happy you loved it. I sang it every day and every night. Jonghyun helped too of course. I’m sure the whole palace is tired of hearing me sing it.” He chuckled at himself.

“Aw, you put in so much work for me? It was worth it yeobo. I truly do love it. And I never knew you could sing like that.”

“Well, Crown Princes really don’t sing...it’s not really a job requirement.” He shurrged cutely with a cheeky smile.

“Well, it should be. You should sing to me every night.” Taemin batted his lashes adorably; half playfully but half serious because he couldn’t wait to hear him again.  And like a good husband, the other made a mental note to sing often for Taemin as the younger just suggested in jest knowing he really did mean it….

Jinki cupped the side of the younger’s face and inhaled about to sing the words “saranghaeyo yeobo” cutely but was interrupted; a soft rap was heard upon the wooden part of the door. Jinki and Taemin broke their tender gaze, turning to see three shadows on the other side of the stylish hanji (paper) sections of the door.

“May we come in Prince Jinki?” Kibum asked then Jonghyun mischievously teased “Or are you doing married people stuff.” The tallest shadow slapped the shortest silhouette for his inappropriate (although highly reasonable) playful question.  The two princes however did laugh like Jonghyun intended; in unison they told the three giggly men to come in.

“Taemin-ahhhh!” They were about to jump on the youngest once they pounced in the room playfully but the younger prince stopped them quickly; he held up his hands, palms out…they abruptly stopped for Taemin’s face paled and his eyes widened with curiosity;  Taemin pointed with his finger for them to turn around. The door was left open and He could see Lord Leeteuk coming up to the Prince’s Quarters. They turned around to see, and then faced the two princes, and bowed to the couple before backing out of the way to Taemin’s left as the lord stepped up the steps and into Jinki’s building and into his room.

The husbands’ standing side by side, Leeteuk bowed respectfully to them. Jinki glanced to his husband and friends before the elder came up from his bow, they all shot each other a look.

“Cousin, why have you come to my private chambers?”

“I’m sorry to interrupt, your highness.”

“Then don’t.” Minho glared; stepping forward: ready to the older man out of the room on Jinki’s command if need be.

Jinki’s voice was deep and sharp.  “I asked why have you come to my room? The 3 of them have been invited; you have not. Explain yourself. I do not know what your game is; you’re rude then extra nice the past few weeks then the supercilious attitude at the reception and now you show up in my private quarters without permission?”

Annoyed the man would have the audacity to come to their wedding chambers unannounced after what he had done a few hours ago, Taemin tilted his own chin up and chimed in: confidently slipping easily into his role as royal spouse..“You tried to embarrass our guest, attempted to embarrass my husband and I, and worst of all, The King and Queen today. I do not appreciate that stunt you pulled at the banquet. You should be ashamed of yourself. Their son may marry whom he wants and invite friends to dine at our wedding if he wishes. How dare you speak to the future king the way you have and disrespect my new family the way you have. If it wasn’t for Performer Kim here, fixing the awkward atmosphere you put us all through…” Taemin stopped his line of thought and sighed lividly and turned to Minho “Chief Choi, I think you should him away.”

The Chief nodded “Yes, Prince” As the chief neared even closer, Leeteuk dropped to his knees placing his hands on the floor, his forehead to the backs of his hands, bowing: feigning forgiveness, he uttered softly “Prince Jinki and..” he lifted his head and looked at the younger. He swallowed and forced himself to address him correctly “Prince Taemin, I realized I have been rude…That is why I came to apologize.”

There was a moment of silence; the five shot each other a look…

Jinki ordered “Get up!”

He did so and waited for one of the princes to speak…which ended up being of course, The Crown Prince “If so, prove it. Apologize to each of us.”

Leeteuk glanced around at the five of them glaring down at him and mumbled contritely “I’m sorry.”

“No, not like that. I mean bow to each one of us. If one wants forgiveness they must earn it. Formally apologize to my husband Prince Taemin, Advisor Kim, Minstrel Kim, and Chief Choi for everything you have said to us over the years and I will forgive you for your attempt to embarrass us in front of the court and the Crown today. Another rude comment or action from you here on out will not be taken lightly.”

The devil bowed, a good actor: he appeared sincere. He started with Taemin; He walked towards him, and then slowly got down on his knee’s sitting on his ankles: bowing. “I’m sorry Prince Taemin. I didn’t think it was love, at first. I was wrong all these years. But after today, I see how you both work well together and you showed me how a prince should act in time of crisis. I’m sorry I made that crisis tonight. Love apparently does make one strong and not weak. Please forgive me.” Leeteuk lifted his head; Taemin said nothing which made Leeteuk hesitate a moment before he stood up…

Bowing on the floor in front of Advisor Kim he meekly spoke softly. “I’m sorry I have threatened you in the past. You guide him well. Never leave our prince’s side.” He was greeted with the same stoic face as Taemin when he looked up from his bow.

Next was Minho who had a look that was ice cold and furrowed brows. “So loyal Chief Choi, an allegiance that should be admired and copied.” … their intimidating silence made him slightly nervous but he continued on…

Leeteuk strongly held in his feelings of how stupid this was for him to bow to a low life like a gag man; if he wasn’t trying to get in their good graces he would out right protest to do so. But yet, he had a goal thus he sat down on his ankles again. As he touched his forehead to the backs of his hands he rolled his eyes as he faced the floor, at the ridiculousness of it all. But the thought of “it would soon be over” made the wicked man smirk.    “Mr. Kim. I sincerely regret talking down to you countless times. The prince is right, respect should go both ways, and should be extended to you as well. You are a loyal subject, servant, and friend to the prince no matter your station in life… A friendship that should be valued just as equally. I am truly sorry for acting the way I did today. It is good the heavens have blessed the two princes with kindness and skills to correct my error so you wouldn’t suffer from my actions during the reception. Please forgive me.” 

“Get up.” Jonghyun said. “Prince Jinki has taught us not to carry hate in our hearts. For there is only room for love and honor and he learned that from his parents: the wisest and caring and the most honorable people I know.” Leeteuk lifted his head but did not get up as Jonghyun continued his speech “ I live my life with pride and honor, and love, so your words can not affect me like how you intend. I will say now, what I have wanted to say for years, for I have nothing to lose for how you always point out: I’m technically poor, no official status. The money you flaunt and that pompous attitude you wear like a badge is shameful and will only bring you down. You cannot take money with you when you die. But you can take pride with you, live your life better so you may take it with you. I don’t carry hate for you; I have no room for that when I am filled with the love of my friends. I do not need money or status to know my worth. I see my worth in the way these four men have treated me like a human. I have only disappointment for you in the way you would treat your own family this way. Hyung-nim is your cousin. I don’t care how you treat me. Treat him and Taemin-nim with respect and you will not have a problem with me or with Minho-ssi or Kibum-ssi. It is an honor to be one of his 4 best friends...one of his “brothers.” Being his friend is the best thing that has happened to me and to all of us.”

Speechless, Leeteuk stood up finally and bowed his head once more to Jonghyun; he said softly “I’m sorry.”

He bowed to the crown prince once more. Kneeling at the foot of his beautiful emerald robes he begged. “Prince, will you forgive me?”

“We aren’t children anymore and this won’t be tolerated any longer. I’ve told you when I came of age to mind your tongue. Don’t make me tell you again. You may be older but I am still the Crown Prince.... Please reflect on your actions… Prince Taemin and I will not be lenient next time.”

“Yes, Prince Jinki. I will take to heart what you said. It takes a strong man to forgive”

“It takes strength to apologize as well.” Jinki said squatting down; Leeteuk lifted his head. To make sure his apology would be believable, he had formed deceiving tears in his eyes; the liar locked gazes with the crown prince and murmured “Thank you for your forgiveness.”

Taemin smiled sweetly as his kind husband opened his arms. Leeteuk loathed skinship, for to him it was a sign of weakness but it was just another step he’d have to deal with; Leeteuk embraced his young cousin in a “loving hug

Jinki sighed relieved they had put their issues in the past. The Crown Prince smiled “It’s what family does.”

Leeteuk dried his eyes “Since I have been rude let me pour you all a drink. May I? A toast to your wedding and a truce?”

“Well, we normally have a private gathering when the five of us have a chance to all be at the palace at the same time.” Kibum said cautiously. “Plus I think we have wasted enough of the couple’s time. We only really did come in here just to say congratulations, not keep them away from royal duties.. Not that it’s a duty per say..”Kibum blushed “I mean I am sure they must want to officially be husband and spouse and we are delaying them.”

Taemin quickly flicked open his fan in front of his face to cover his blush from Kibum’s comment. “Sorry Taemin-ah, I hope I didn’t embarrass you both.”

The couple glanced at one another; Taemin mumbled cutely. “It’s ok. We have all night to earn aqua hanboks.” Taemin shyly blinked at his husband.

Seeing his young husband’s eyes twinkle from where they peeked from behind his fan Jinki smiled with pink cheeks of his own and a little adorable dimple appeared on his plump cheek.

Jonghyun tried to stifle his laugh at how cute the two princes were.  “You can kick us out. You are married now. It is ok. We can come back and all share a drink together tomorrow if you like.”

“A moment please...” Jinki asked as he walked to his spouse….

 While the royal couple talked out of ear shot, Minho and the others crowded in to Leeteuk, glaring at him. Angry Kibum sighed annoyed and whispered to Leeteuk “You could have waited until tomorrow. Even a rude apology.” Jonghyun felt he had already said enough but Minho had something he wanted to add “Our job is to protect the throne and Prince Jinki and Prince Taemin. We do not forgive that easily in order to do just that. We are protecting them. We have no proof you will show respect to the two princes. Make us believe you.” Minho said before stepping back, the two friends moved away from his side as well to let him sit with his thoughts….But that silent treatment the 3 gave him wasn’t a punishment for him like they intended. Not caring if they truly forgave him or not, Leeteuk desperately wanted them to drink the toxin.

….. The Princes had a private conversation and they decided to let Leeteuk stay after they chatted quietly for about 5 minutes; it felt like an eternity to Leeteuk. Jinki and Taemin did not forgive him and they were sure the other 3 didn’t as well. But Jinki felt he shouldn’t’ be rude just because his cousin was. Deep down he wanted to believe his family member was trying to change his ways, even though Jinki has corrected him on his rude snooty behavior countless times over the years. Perhaps if Leeteuk saw how kind the 5 of them interacted with one another that would help soften his cold heart…. They reached their decision after going back and forth with the idea: Their goal, cure that pompous heart; teach him to be a nicer person and if Leeteuk could do it then he would be forgiven. It would take more than just this night of course and they knew that but it could be a start: sooner rather than later. … “Kill him with kindness?” Taemin giggled knowing that is what Jinki always like to say. “Kill his sinful rudeness with love” Jinki smiled back cutely with a wink: it was decided…

“Wedding’s are a time for change and new beginnings!” Taemin said aloud cheerily for all to hear as he stepped away from his princely husband and walked to the side of the room. “Help me Kibum-hyung to move this please.” The two pulled a small table from the side of the room to the center of the open area. “To celebrate change we must have a drink as tradition. And as tradition you do it with friends and family.  Everyone, please sit.”

The Crown Prince placed his hand on his cousin’s shoulder as the others sat on the floor around the table “Leeteuk, if you want to learn to be nice and truly be forgiven and earn that forgiveness ...we can start with you pouring us drinks. In the corner you will see a bottle of Soju and 5 cups. There are extra cups in the drawer so you can have a drink.”  Jinki smiled kindly to him before sitting on the floor between his spouse and Kibum….. Leeteuk sat between Jonghyun and Minho.

……..

There had been awkward conversation trying to get use to talking to Lord Leeteuk but soon everything was more relaxed and comfortable after a bottle or two of Soju…. Now was the time, as they were more comfortable and more talkative… “I brought Rice Wine for you all; it is a wedding and wine is the traditional drink, Prince Jinki. I won’t have my cousin drinking something like Soju on his special day. You stay seated I’ll go to the table that had the glasses and I will open the bottle and pour us all a drink and bring it over.”

The five were most certainly not naïve and gullible; they proceeded with caution the whole time and of course politely:  being honorable gentlemen with noble hearts the men gave the Lord a chance…The devious man however, had a sickening smirk across his face as he uncorked the wine and his little bottles……As the five brother-like friends sat on the floor conversing about the wedding and how beautifully handsome the event was, in the corner Leeteuk had already emptied each bottle into everyone’s respective glasses, polluting their drinks; he stirred the flavorless toxins in. He wiped the demonic smirk off his face, picked up the tray and made his way to the men.

After he set it on the short-legged table Leeteuk handed them their cups and made a toast. “Long Live The Crown Prince and Prince Taemin!” They all cheered for the newlyweds; the couple smiled happily.  The Crown Prince and his groom took their sips first. As the poison-laced alcohol slid down their throats with ease, Leeteuk raised his glass and added chirpily “May you get what you deserve in this life!” before taking a swig of his own drink to cover his wicked smile. The three friends smiled joyfully and chimed in “To your happiness!” before drinking their own tainted cups…….

After a few more minutes of joyful conversation and Leeteuk had made sure the five men drank every last drop of their contaminated wine he excused himself to deal with The Crown. “Congratulations again Princes and thank you for letting me join you. I always wanted to meet like this. Have a group of true friends like you, Jinki-ah; Maybe I have been jealous over the years because of your friendships.”

“Just work on your people skills.”Taemin tired to help. “Do that, then you can have true friends like Hyung-nim has.”

“I’ll do my best Prince Taemin. And again I wish to say I am sorry to all of you. I will leave you now so you may have privacy. I will go say good night to your parents now, Prince Jinki. I think I owe them an apology as well.”

They politely bowed and said their goodbyes to the man before having one more drink without the Lord before the two prince’s friends retried to their own chambers for the night….

…..

Leeteuk walked up the steps to the King’s Chambers.  A guard announced his presences and soon was in his room. The King and Queen normally slept in too different buildings...unless..well,  since tonight was a celebration they were in a “festive” mood of their own; luckily for Leeteuk he wouldn’t have to visit her chambers as well for they were already together.

“Leeteuk, we are about to sleep. Is everything alright?” The King asked concerned.

“Yes, everything is perfect. Sorry for coming to your room so late, your majesty. I had been with the Crown Prince and his husband a little longer than I intended. I want to personally toast to you and your wife, a congratulations to the addition of Prince Taemin to your family. I just shared a drink with them toasting to them. May I come in and share my wine with you? I’ll be quick; it’ll only take a second.”

“It’s good seeing you two get along. Yes, of course come in.” The King smiled; patting his shoulder guiding him further into the room. “We have a minute or two to spare.”

“A nightcap never hurt anyone.” Already tipsy form her and her husband’s little celebration the Queen giggled cutely and handed up her empty cup and the king’s…..

…….

Taemin pulled the small table, returning it next to the wall. He dusted off his hands and stood up straight. “Well, today has been a busy day.” He said as he turned around and was met with an eye-smile bright as the sun. 

Jinki’s honey rich voice tenderly spoke “I do believe I owe you a wedding kiss and perhaps a song, Prince Taemin.”

Taemin smiled sweetly and murmured softly “Yes, husband, I think you do.” Taemin walked up slowly to the charming man and cupped the sides of his face. They had been formally dressed the entire day: to eat or drink with the beads dangling in his face had been a bit annoying all day, but now it was bothersome in a new manner... The prince winked handsomely “I’d love to give you a kiss but…”Jinki cutely wiggled his head making the many strings of beads on his hat shimmy, clicking as they danced into one another in front of his princely face.  “…Something’s in my way though.” Jinki smirked; evoking a big laugh from his young husband.

Amused at his adorable slyness the younger man snickered as he said with a handsome smile “I should fix that for you then my sweet prince.”

Jinki’s sweet nectar voice floated quietly into air: singing their love song; making the younger blush. Taemin slowly slid his hands up from his plump cheeks till his fingertips touched the hem of Jinki’s extravagant black hat. Taemin locked eyes with him; Jinki placed his hands on the younger’s hips. Taemin unpinned his hat from his ebony hair and lifted: revealing Jinki’s hair in a knot on top of his head. With one hand Taemin cupped his cheek again as the other carefully tossed the hat down.

Still romantically singing softly, Jinki removed his hand form the boy’s waist and tenderly laced his fingers with Taemin’s and walked him to the huge bed that was draped by a sheer royal pearlescent aqua canopy. The closer they got the pinker the younger’s cheeks tinted and the faster their hearts thumped to reach out to one another. Jinki lovingly squeezed the younger’s hand before letting it go to pull back the see-through curtain on the left side of the bed. As the crown prince had dreamed it since he was a child, the blankets were covered in an assortment of bright colorful petals taken from flowers in the private garden that the crown prince plucked himself for his beloved.

The younger remembered Jinki telling him about his dreams of their first kiss as a married couple; Taemin too had dreamt of it every night as well from that point on and it looked just like how he imaged it to be: Perfect. Taemin sat down on the edge of the beautiful bed and looked up; locking gazes with his handsome husband who stood before him…as the song neared its finish Jinki slowly lowered to his knees to be face level with him; he cupped the younger’s cheek… Closer and closer their lips became... The elder rested his forehead on his spouse’s as his voice crawled to a gentle whisper..Jinki’s breath skimmed Taemin’s plump pink lips…. after the last lyric of love left the singer, the prince softly married their lips together romantically full of passion; the wait finally over: their blessed hearts leapt with overwhelming joy as the hearts were united in matrimony  like the heavens always willed them to be. As Jinki and Taemin’s happy marital kiss deepened in a sweet tender ballet of tongues the King and Queen unknowingly drank their own demise….