Permission

The Crown Prince

…………Chapter 7 ………….

Jinki had to hold the good news until he met with Taemin again…A full week. ….It had to be done in secrecy until everything was official. The prince was grinning every day. His personal maiden for a moment there thought he was delirious from studying too much with his periodic giggles of joy and smiles plastered to his face whenever he thought of Taemin. During the week she had asked “Your highness are you feeling well? I can turn down your covers of your bedding if you wish to lie down and take recess from work.”

“I’m fine, just happy. But thank you.”  He sighed happily and continued on with his lesson………..

….

One day left until the Magistrate comes to meet with the King...Jinki could make it; the week was almost over…

….

The royals would meet with the Lee’s like usual to handle business. In preparation for their futures, sometimes the Prince and Taemin would be in the meeting room with their father’s so there was nothing suspicious with their meeting.  Afterwards The king chatted with Magistrate Lee in the executive office while The queen invited Mrs. Lee to join her for tea…And Taemin heard Jinki mention to the King when the meeting ended that he would be going to the royal library on the other side of the grounds. Thus Taemin took the hint and waited until he knew it was safe and made his way across the palace courtyards….

Jinki was walking slowly along in front of the huge bookcase that stretched along the entire wall of the royal library in search for the perfect book for Taemin.  The prince smiled when he saw a thick book of poetry.  Standing on his tiptoes, Jinki reached up, his long sleeve pooling to his elbow but before he could pull the book out from the shelf small hands circled around his waist, making him forget about the book. “Hey hyung. I missed you. It feels like an eternity without you.” Pillowing his face into the prince’s back Taemin sighed feeling the stress fade away as he melted into the prince’s shoulder blades.

The prince’s lips curled up in a warm smile as he turned around. “I love you.”

Smiling lovingly Taemin replied “I love you too.” The happy young wealthy lovers giggled together.

“Taemin I have great news!” Jinki said excitedly.

The younger hummed “hmm?”

“I have asked my parents’ permission to be with you.”

Taemin’s eyes widened, a bit surprised “You did?..Already?”

Ecstatic and grinning handsomely the Crown Prince chirped “Yes, and they approve of you, of us!”

“I don’t know what to say. I’m happy and nervous.” He laughed nervously and held on to Jinki tighter.

“Don’t be nervous. Your parents will say yes, and mine already did.” he winked handsomely.

Taemin chuckled with a small happy grin, with sudden happy moist eyes “So that means we won’t have to be a couple in private anymore?”

“Yes, Mr. Lee Taemin. You and I will be free to be public. We won’t have to hide in the garden unless we wanted to. And once my parent’s officially announce our courtship all your other suitors will just have to take their eyes off you.” Jinki tapped the tip of Taemin’s cold nose.

Batting his lovely lashes the governor’s son blushed “keke, hyung, I don’t have any other people looking and perusing me.”

The prince smiled playfully and cocked his eyebrow “You better not” The prince pecked his cheek making the younger giggle again. Taemin settled back into their hug. Taemin couldn’t believe it, but he had faith in the prince so he didn’t question it. The King and Queen approved and that is all that mattered at the moment. Jinki relayed his entire conversation with his mother to his boyfriend.

“You have a meeting with the King and Queen tomorrow that is why your family is being invited to stay a few days longer as we speak, to save you from journeying here more than once. They want to speak to you first before they inform your parents of my choice. It’s all hush hush for the time being. No one can know about us until we announce it publicly. So when they do ask your parents we still have to be private until they say we can go public.”

“I’m nervous to meet your parents” He pulled out of the hug and looked Prince Jinki in the eyes.

He shrugged cutely and tilted his head not fully grasping Taemin’s issue. “You’ve met them before countless of times.”

Shyly covering his little innocent smile Taemin blushed deeply and whispered embarrassed “But they didn’t know I was holding hands with their son before.”

“Aw, you’re too cute.  And if it makes you feel better they don’t know we hold hands.” Jinki kissed his cheek. Taemin flushed pink again and whispered “Hyung, or know I let their son kiss my cheek. Holding hands and kissing is what married people do.”

Jinki chuckled cutely “True, but one day we might be married.” he winked “So, I’m sure it’s ok.” …After a moment he asked “Do you think you can handle public life with a Crown Prince? Everyone will know who you are once we go public. I know you get shy honey. So are you capable? If not I will help to make it an easy transition. As long as you are with me everything will be ok, just remember.”

Taemin sighed heavily. “I can do it, hyung. I’m nervous and scared but I want to be with you and if that means being known to every subject in the SHINee World then so be it. I love you.”

“I can’t believe they said we could. I’m so excited Taemin-ah.”

Misty eyed, Taemin giggled at his prince’s eyes disappearing cutely when his cheeks pushed up in a big smile. “I can’t believe it either.” He happily hugged the prince tightly before they began their time reading poetry together before dinner ….

 

………………………………

The queen had been watching Taemin all night. The way he held himself and talked with others, the way he ate: every small detail. He had such grace and was very polite. He may not have been raised up to be royalty, but there was an air about him that seemed like he was born to be. Destiny. Made for Jinki by the heavens?  Born to take her place. She would personally see to it, guide him to their kingdoms destiny. ….Smiling sweetly in one of the courtyards, Taemin was currently standing at the side of the bridge after dinner, watching the little orange and black striped fish in the water below.. His bangs swayed slightly in the soft breeze. His small but elegant hands on the railing, his long eye lashes batting in the evening’s golden light:  He was handsome, smart and made her son smile. She sighed happily “He would make such a perfect son-in-law”; she made her way across the courtyard, casually and slowly making her way to the boy….

Her beautiful voice instantly stole his attention away from the water. “Did the Prince inform you of what we talked about?” She stood next to him admiring the landscape on the bank of the water so onlookers would think they were talking about the view instead.

He smiled and with a bow he greeted her then answered “Yes.” He looked away and returned his gaze to the water of the pond below rippling softly in the slight breeze. The Queen glanced out the side of her eye and saw him blush; she smiled softly “After breakfast please meet with me in my quarters. I want to get to know you better before we talk to your parents about “it.” Then at 2 in the afternoon send your parents to my room so we may talk about it as well.  Remember we should chat about this privately until everything is official. Just know, I approve. Sleep well tonight; say good night to the prince for me. I’m going to retire now.” She then smiled happily leaving Taemin to his thoughts.

……………………..

In the morning it was time for Taemin to formally meet with the King and Queen to discuss what’s to come…Taemin was getting ready for his meeting; thinking non-stop: happy but still a bit worried.. But Taemin wasn’t alone for long, a servant entered through the back door to water the flowers in the room. The female smiled at him. She bowed then asked “May I say something freely?”

Taemin looked at her and nodded “yes”

“Master Lee, do not be nervous. The crown prince likes you a lot. We, the servants, we know and it’s ok. I think the only people that don’t know are the people in the upper class circles since they aren’t here every day, all day.”

Not expecting that, Taemin raised his eyebrows “You all know?”

“We are servants Master Lee, we see things others do not.  It’s kind of hard to hide a smile when you are in love. And the Prince smiles for hours after you leave, its sweet. And the two of you are adorable reading under the tree together in the courtyard, all the girls think so.”

“The lower classes don’t have a problem with it?” He scrunched up his brows, a bit confused “Wait, you spy on us?”

“No, not at all. It’s like a fairytale in a way: The handsome prince falling in love with someone so lovely even though they aren’t a princess.” She sighed dreamily as she poured water over the next plant.

“It’s a bit weird knowing you all gossip about us and spy on us.”

“It’s not gossip, we don’t spy. While we tend to his highness we just so happen to see. And we look away right away once we notice anything, I promise.”

Taemin pursed his lips together and sighed.

“I’m sorry young Master Lee if I embarrassed you. I didn’t mean too. I was trying to help you.”

“It’s ok; I guess I have to get use to people knowing we are together.”

“They already do, and no one would disapprove of the prince’s male suitor. Prince Jinki’s servants are happy with it. He talks about you a lot.” She said and bowed formally like she would to Jinki.  Taemin was slightly confused but then she added before she left “I normally attend to the Prince, not the guests’ flowers. I’m his personal maiden. The prince tells me to tell you hello by the way and that he is sorry he couldn’t be in the meeting.” She smiled as she walked out the back door.

Taemin chuckled to himself. “That sneaky little…Hyung, I love you.”

Wishing he could be there, Jinki had sent her in there to check on him before the meeting and send his support and love; he couldn’t wait to find out what was happening while he was in a lesson with Teacher Kim.  And that did make Taemin feel better… It seemed everyone was okay with it and he does love Jinki with all his heart. He was technically already courting him and it’s what he truly wanted. So now he felt like what was he was waiting for. He felt the support and he knew he could make this work and not be so timid in front of the Kingdom… if Jinki could do it so could he; he would be brave and accept his role as Jinki’s official boyfriend and learn to handle the public…..

….

Taemin was nervous to meet with them as he neared the building but soon he was comfortable again once the meeting was underway. Talking with them getting to know them better was easier than he had thought it would be. They were so much like the prince, or rather; the prince was so much like them.

He started off shyly when he had entered the grand room which was more lavish than Jinki’s…

“The prince says the two of you have had feelings for one another.”

He couldn’t look them in the eye and whispered “I’m sorry. The Prince and I..No, I mean I should have asked permission if we could court.” she placed her hand on top of his to calm his nerves. He looked at her shyly “Taemin-ah, May I call you Taemin-ah? It is alright. Yes, rules are you should ask parents’ permission” She giggled that same lovable laugh Jinki has…he must have inherited that giggle from her. “Especially when that person is the Crown Prince. But it’s alright. I understand love sometimes just happens in a special way that rules don’t apply. And other rules will have to be made to accommodate you both.” She remembered her and her husband will have to fix the law so they could get married one day and have a legal heir. Jinki wants’ the date of his proposal to be a secret, a surprise for Taemin so She shook her head slightly clearing her mind to keep focused on the topic of “courtship” only and not marriage; She continued. “Prince Jinki told us and we support you two. But we do have to formally make a public statement but in order to do that and before we proceed with anything we must inform your parents first.”

Taemin’s palms became sweaty; he blinked nervously feeling it was all moving so fast suddenly so he stammered and fiddled with the hem of his hanbok sleeve.  “My, my parents?”

“Well of course Taemin. You are courting the Crown Prince. They will be happy with this news.  The whole kingdom will be pleased.”

“Please don’t tell my parents I’ve been courting him secretly for years though.”

The king chuckled. “Years? Didn’t know it was that long.”

Taemin blushed a deep pink “um”

“Oh my, Taemin.” She giggled again “Prince Jinki didn’t tell us that part. I knew he liked you but I thought courting was a new thing between the two of you, like maybe a week or two, not years. I will keep that secret for you though. We will tell your parents Prince Jinki would like to formally get to know you better, more than friends, to court you. So they won’t know it’s been going on for years, your secret is safe with The Crown. Your parents won’t have a problem with you falling in love with a man will they?”

“No, I don’t think so, if you don’t.”

The King smiled with a slight nod “Good.”

“But I’m not royalty is it alright?”

The king replied. “I don’t see why not, it’s what my son wants.”

Taemin raised an eyebrow and asked wearily still “And my gender?”

The king smiled “Nope not a problem.”

The boy scrunched up his brows “Really?” Taemin was amazed how easily this was going, and how accepting they were. Jinki was right; his parents really were fine with them as a couple. He was extremely happy and shocked.

The royal couple glanced at each other then back to Taemin “Taemin, everything will be fine. Trust us. There is nothing to be scared of. We are taking care of everything so nothing will be a problem for you both.  Our son likes you. And you and your family are in our favor. We will speak with your parents today and give them the news. But be aware, once we announce your courtship something’s will change. We will have a schedule for the times for you two to meet which is the custom and people will know who you are from that moment on. Can you handle that? If it is too much pressure to have all eyes upon you we can wait if you like, that is why I wished to speak to you first. I want to prepare you. Courting the prince is very serious; all of the Kingdom will know about the two of you. So if you would rather wait then let us know before we go any further.”

Taemin wished Jinki was with him at this moment. He felt insecure, and scared and nervous all over again. It was blatantly obvious he was a male and he wasn’t royalty... what would people say?   Would they think he was with Jinki just because he was a prince? Would they think of him as abnormal for being a male as well? Or would they think badly of the prince? He didn’t want anyone to think or talk badly of the prince either. “What if people don’t like the prince for courting me? I do not want to ruin his flawless majestic reputation.”

His love for his son was strong, the King stated bluntly. “I understand your concern but He is the Crown Prince, son of the King, if they have a problem with it they need to talk to me.”

“Calm down husband, no one will disapprove. Everyone loves our Prince Jinki and they will love you too Taeminah, have faith. I’m sure everyone assumes the two of you would get together sooner or later. The two of you are in separable. It won’t be a surprise, it wasn’t to me. I’m the one that guessed it was you he was falling for in the first place then he confirmed it to me when I asked him.”

 “oh” Taemin blushed.

The regal couple asked “Have you made up your mind or do you need time to think about it?” 

Taemin thought a moment: recapping all the events in his mind…: The helpful pep talk he had with Jinki’s servant noona, some people were already aware and were fine with it… If Jinki and his parents believe everything will be fine as well then he would believe too and have faith like the queen suggested. He would trust in Jinki like he was asked by him. Following his heart, Taemin took a deep breath and professionally replied “Yes, I would like to court the Crown Prince. Please speak to my parents for me. It would be my honor to be courted by Prince Jinki.”

The couple smiled as the King stated “Alright, we will send for your parents at 2:00 to inform them and plan out your schedules and any other lingering details. Then we will send for you and the prince to meet with us and your parents to discuss where we go from there.”

Taemin tried to hold back his grin the best he could but they could see the sparkle of happiness in his eyes as they chatted more comfortably getting to know Taemin better. Prince Jinki would be proud of how Taemin handled himself.

…….

The two families sat in the Naejeon (private inner royal hall); the meeting with Taemin and his parents went smoothly as the royals sat across from them. They set the announcement date and the official beginning of their courtship to take place after Jinki’s coming of Age ceremony. Until then both families would carry on as normal. Taemin’s parents agreed. Mr. and Mrs. Lee were unaware of the prince having romantic affections towards their son, but if that is what the prince wanted, then the loyal family had no objection to the Crown’s wishes.

Jinki was in his eighteenth year which gave Taemin plenty of time to be shaped into what the Crown needed him to be before the courtship could commence. Taemin seemed to be the only one unaware of the fact of the intentional waiting gap, the year was for grooming him; he was just relieved he wasn’t being thrown in the public eye suddenly: he was grateful. For now he could keep his relationship with the prince the same, which felt safe and comfortable for him at the moment.

Over time the Queen spent time with Taemin teaching him things without him even realizing she had been teaching him sometimes. Other times he was aware and was grateful; everyday was a lesson though that would help him in his life with Prince Jinki if he knew it or not… Sharing in some of the tasks his father does for work, preparing for a public life, Taemin’s parents gave him more responsibility and more appearances in his own village and at meetings: helping him build his confidence level and helping him overcome his shyness, his timid nature along the way.. Even the King had moments with the young Lee, teaching him about the Kings and Queens of the past, as did Kibum filling him with knowledge only scholars like him would know so he could be just as learned as the prince and he. Minho also had been teaching him some techniques Taemin’s own defense teacher never taught him.  It seemed everyone was helping Taemin. He learned etiquette and protocol a Royal must be accustomed to as well. Jonghyun also helped by being playful and telling him how he overcame stage fright: Taemin not even knowing that was technically a lesson too for public speaking. When the time comes to declare their courtship he will be ready…More than ready. ….

Over time his confidence was building and was still building; soon he would become aware just how much it had, how much he, himself, has grown the moment a certain someone tested his strength the night of Jinki’s Coming of Age celebration the following year……

 

 

 

 


*plays scary music* dum dum dummmmm, evil dude is coming soon.