Effects of Poison

The Crown Prince

………………Chapter 20………………

 

They were left alone, no one to wake them or dress them like usual so the royal newlyweds could have privacy to intimately bond more if they wished…. The newlyweds rose with the dawning sun 6 hours later after consummation as it peaked through the seam of the window’s doors, shining in Taemin’s eye. Taemin kiss his husband sweetly “Morning yeobo.” he murmured before yawning.

Jinki stretched “Moring, I’ve never slept in before.”

Taemin chuckled cutely “It’s still early; the sun just woke up.” Taemin said as he put on a night robe he took from Jinki’s wardrobe before walking over to open the windows. The sudden light made them both squint once they were opened. Getting the sunlight out of his eyes Taemin turned around. Facing one of Jinki’s table’s he saw a small comb on the tabletop. He picked it up then had noticed a food tray by the bedroom door. “Your maiden has brought us breakfast and tea. Which is good because I am famished.”

He picked up the tray and began walking with it to the center of the main chamber….Jinki covered himself with a robe then joined the younger. Taemin had set the tray down on the floor in the center of the open common area; Jinki got two of his long rectangle cushions for them to sit upon. 

They had a lovely breakfast chatting about small things: the wedding and what their plans were for today since they had no schedules for the first time since they could remember… Eventually the topics became grander: their future. Like how they’d go about adopting one day. If they wanted a girl or a boy? How about both? Did they want a child from the SHINee City or one from Taemin’s village? How about one from each? They continued their happy conversation of children after they finished their 1st meal as husbands. Taemin smiled cutely interrupting him. “jagiya?”

“mm?”

“Turn around”

Jinki trusted him and did what he was told. Jinki proceeded talking and soon found Taemin’s fingers in his thick hair. Jinki’s lips curled up in a smile as Taemin combed his long flowing locks with the small golden comb. “Last night you undressed me. I will dress you.”

Jinki smirked proudly “We get to wear the kingdom colors today.”

Taemin giggled “mm mm.” The younger prince couldn’t hide his huge grin. “Goodbye Yellow and Green; hello Pearl Aqua.” they giggled together; Jinki turned his head around and kissed him…

Taemin was still combing his hair when suddenly the doors few open to his quarters “Prince Jinki! Come quickly!”

Startled they sharply turned their heads to see The Queen’s maiden panting out of breath. “Hurry, my princes!”

“What is it? What’s happened?” They stood up.

“Your mother, prince Jinki-ah, she is very ill.”

Jinki’s eyes widened with panic; he looked at his husband and breathed nervously “Taeminah” He reached for his hand. “My dream.”

Taemin gasped in disbelief. “Can’t be.”

Jinki turned to the servant “Go, We will be there as soon as we get clothed.”

“Yes your highnesses. She is in the king’s chambers.”

“Yes, thank you”

She left and he began to panic; they both rushed to get their aqua clothing on. They had no time to fix their hair; Taemin balled up Jinki’s hair and put his gat (royal hat) on top of his messy locks to hide it and did the same to himself as he crammed his feet into his shoes hurriedly. Jinki and Taemin ran to the king’s quarters as fast as they could.

 The crown Prince and his spouse slowed as they neared the top of the steps to the King’s quarters. They stopped at the door; Jinki took a deep breath, rolled his shoulders back: preparing himself with confidence, he placed his hand on the door, sliding it open. His eyes widened at the sight of his mother empting her stomach in to a basin her physician was holding up to her. Usually, beautifully elegant and gracefully dignified she lie a wreck in her unpleasant state.. Darken circles under her tired weak eyes; her skin was a sickly pale, her hair a tangled greasy mess, with beads of perspiration dotting her face, her nightgown clung to her sweaty back as she leaned forward over the bowl. Jinki had never seen her this way safe for his nightmare and it broke his heart and it sacred him instantly.

“Mother!” Jinki rushed to her side.

“No, Jinki-yah, don’t see me like this.” Feeling embarrassed to be sick in front of them; She waved her hand in the air weakly: trying to shoo them away; Taemin gentle grabbed her hand as he came closer kneeling next to her bed next to Jinki. Being brave, strong for his husband, the younger man took action; the younger prince calmed her “Mother-nim, It’s alright. Hyung, get The Queen some fresh water.”  He turned to the physician and asked “Doctor-nim how can we help? Should we make her tea or something? Anything that will help her ailment? How’s the king….Where’s the king?” He asked finally realizing he wasn’t in the room.

Jinki gasped and looked around “Father?”

The doctor placed the soiled bowl on the floor and helped the Queen to lay flat on her back. “Rest queen, the princes will help me with getting more fresh water.”

“No, I’m not leaving.” Jinki took his mother’s hand from Taemin and held it in both of his. “Mother, I will stay with you.” He kissed her fingers “Where are your maidens to help you? Where’s father?”

“Prince Jinki, please. Let her rest a moment.” Jinki truned to look at the doctor, Taemin, then his mother again. He didn’t know what to do: afraid his dream was coming true. “I’m staying. Hold my hand mother, if you feel pain, squeeze it. I’ll help you.”

His mother weakly replied “My sweet prince, I’m just tired. Go with her. I’ll be fine.”

Jinki never disobeyed his parents so he left her side like she asked. “Yes, Mother. I’ll be back shortly.”

They each carried an item, a jug and one clean water bowl and the dirty one. Once outside, the doctor spoke “She’s just embarrassed to be sick in front of you. Apparently, she and the king were.. well celebrating last night. I thought at 1st it was a hangover. Then she told me she never drank enough to get that drunk. She said she started feeling sick after her and the king had intimate relations last night. She said it feels like a thousand knives stabbing her in the stomach and she has a headache so powerful like she has never felt before. I have no idea what is wrong with her. It’s not a flu, which that was my 2nd guess. I thought perhaps she caught a bug from the many guests that traveled from all over the land to attend the wedding. She has been sweating and vomiting since before the sun rose. I didn’t know until The King eventually came and got me. Once I helped take care of her a bit, I sent her maiden to get you.”

Jinki empted the water bowl that was filled with lukewarm water and poured cold water into it as she explained what happened. “She won’t die will she?” Taemin asked for his husband as he cleaned out the other bowl.

“Honesty? I don’t know. I hope all will be ok. I think maybe it is just a really bad stomach flu. We’ll have to wait and see. Let her get rest and I will keep an eye on her. I won’t leave her side Prince Jinki, I promise.”

“Where’s my father?”

He went to her chambers to retrieve something for her. He should be back by the time we return to her. I sent the maidens to the kitchens; they are making her honeysuckle tea: it’s good for headaches. I gave The Queen some medicine to help settle her stomach. It doesn’t seem to be working but maybe she will feel better after she naps.”

…..

When they returned to the room Taemin had heard the queen mumble, something about not looking like a queen. So to make her feel pretty since she clearly felt the opposite. Taemin got up and found a brush to fix her hair...A Maiden tried to stop him “Prince, It’s my job; let me.” “We are family, I want to be useful, Let me do this for her.” She bowed and let Taemin help make his mother-in-law look more presentable and queenly before The King came back.

“There, mother-nim, you look beautiful as always. Feel better?” She smiled the best she could. “Thank you Taemin-ah.” She drifted off to sleep shortly after. He held the Queen’s hand as Jinki dipped the wash cloth into the water bowl one of maidens held. The queen moaned in her sleep as the cold wet linen touched her scorching skin making the young men glance worriedly at one another. Taemin whispered “She’ll be aright hyung.”He tired to sooth him as well as he tenderly swiped his thumb over the back of the Queen’s hand. The king came in with the item the Queen asked for and startled the two princes and the servants. They turned to him, Taemin noticed something right way and stood up, walking over to him.

He whispered “Your highness, you are sweating.  Are you okay? Maybe you should lie down too. Maybe you caught what she caught.”

“Prince Taemin, follow me please.” Taemin nodded his head to the king and looked back to Jinki. The crown Prince nodded to Taemin letting him know he knew he was walking out of the room. The king slid open a side door; in the two walked into another room. Ignoring Taemin’s concern he didn’t acknowledge he was also feeling extremely ill; he didn’t want them to worry. “Taemin-ah, this is for you.” He placed the object on the table; it was hidden under a black velvet fabric. The king pinched the top of the black cloth: ready to lift it.

“What is it?”

But before he could answer and lift the cloth, The king fainted from the excruciating pain he had been hiding from them all; Taemin screamed “Doctor!, Jinkiya! Help me!” He rushed to his father-in-law’s aid. He cradled his head in his arms. “Father-nim!” .They quickly ran over; Jinki, the doctor ,and the queen’s maiden helped Taemin lift The King up and into the bed.

….

Standing near the bed they watched over the ill couple; Jinki, held Taemin’s hand tightly as the doctor tended to the king and the servant on the other side of the bed re-wet the Queen’s wash cloth on her forehead “Taemin-ah? What is happening? What could have made them so sick like this? Did they eat something that didn’t agree with them? Did they catch a strange flu from one of the guests?”

Taemin suggested “I should check to see if anyone else is sick.”

“Don’t leave Taemin, Stay with me.”

“Jinki let me help. I’ll be right back. I’ll send Kibum around for us. After I discreetly inform him of what has happened he may go check for us. Alight? I will be back yeobo. Your parents need you. And you need me to ease your mind for you. I am sure they’re not the only ones sick. Maybe it’s just the flu or something. Or like you said: maybe some guests plus the king and queen ate something at the wedding that gave them a reaction. Think positive yeobo. Let me worry for you.”  

“Thank you Taemin. It was just a dream, and this is all just a really bizarre coincidence.” He brought their clasped hands to his mouth to kiss the back of Taemin’s hand.

They both sighed uneasily; as they both tried to convince themselves all would be fine.

…….

Taemin found Kibum with Leeteuk and other officials in the executive office working. “hyung-nim, May I speak to you?”

Kibum excused himself from the men he had been talking with. They stepped outside “Ohh, Prince Taemin.” He greeted then whispered “Aqua looks good on you.” He winked.

“Kibum, now is not the time for that. I came on a more serious note; I’m not here to chat.”

The advisor’s expression dropped “What’s wrong?”

“The King and Queen are very ill. The king hurt so badly he fainted, the queen is sleeping at the moment. Is anyone else sick?”

“No.  Well, Minho said his throat hurt and he had a headache. But he didn’t look sick; well not bed ridden. I must inform the officials and the king’s advisor of the Crown being ill: its protocol.”

“No, not yet. Please. They want privacy..it isn’t a pretty sight they should see at the moment.”

Kibum nodded “I won’t tell anyone until you and Prince Jinki say.” He bowed slightly. “Is there anything else I can do for you and hyung?”

“I’m worried. Jinki once had a dream he was with his mother and she was very ill just like how she is now...in that dream she died.  …I really hope Jinki’s not seeing the future in that dream. I know he feels like his nightmare is coming to life and he thinks it’s his fault. I feel helpless. I need to sooth his worries. I was thinking if someone else was sick it would prove to him everything is fine and it’s not his nightmare coming to fruition because in his dream it was only his mother so if others are sick then he will know his mother is not going to die.”

Empathically Kibum sighed “I’m sorry Taemin I can’t ease you and hyung-nim’s thoughts. If I find out anyone is sick I’ll let you both know. I’ll come and check up on you guys in about 30 minutes while everyone is eating lunch.”

“I have to go. I’ll see you in a little while.”

Kibum smiled caringly as he said good bye to the younger.

……….

Taemin had returned to the King’s Chambers and told the prince privately out of ear shot of the help in the room of Minho’s symptoms but they didn’t match. They sighed nervously then regained their composure and resumed their positions next to the King and Queen.

…..

7 hours had passed since they drank the poisons; when Kibum was on his way to the King’s building he suddenly felt dizzy; he stumbled. He didn’t fall for Jonghyun caught him. “Where’d you come from?”

Jonghyun smiled “I was just on my way to see if Jinki needed company while Taemin is with the Queen. I heard one of the servants saying the other day she had a present for him she’d give him today.”

“Present?”

“Yeah today Taemin gets something. I don’t know what. But anyways. I want to tease Jinki for wearing Aqua too. I have the perfect dirty joke now that he’s become a man.”

“Jonghyun, his parents are sick. We are going to the king’s chambers to see the princes. Hyung thinks his mother will die. He had a dream about it.”

“oh,”Jonghyun lost his smile. “That’s pretty serious.”

“I started to feel a bit dizzy just a moment ago. Maybe I am getting sick too. So I’m sure it’s nothing. And the King and Queen will be fine. Maybe we had a bad batch of that new food..Kimchi is what they called it.”

“I ate so much of that and I am fine. I never ate like a king before.” He giggled “It was amazing.” He smiled. “I’m sure they will be fine too. Maybe your headache will ease their bad thoughts.”

“I hope so.”

Meanwhile Minho was on patrol when he had to sit down during his security rounds. He sat on a small brick wall behind the library so no one could see him. Aching almost everywhere, he sighed and held his stomach.  His lips formed an ‘O’ as he exhaled unsteadily; His hands were shaking and his ankles hurt but despite the uncomfortable feelings he stood up after a moments rest but then almost fell. Bending in half, he with hands on his knees, inhaled sharply and swallowed deeply as to swallow his pain and carry on like the solider he was.  Chief Choi stood up tall and started walking again, slowly, to keep himself steady.

Back in the King’s chambers Taemin and Jinki were sitting at the parents’ bedside watching over them. The King and Queen had been groaning painfully every time they drifted in and out of sleep. “shhh. It’s ok father.” Jinki placed a wet cloth on his forehead.

“Prince Jinki.... I think..I think it’s best if you and Taemin stay away.” The physician said softly as she rounded the bed and patted him on his back.

 “What?” Taemin voiced as he brushed back the Queen’s bangs with the cold cloth.

Jinki echoed him “What? Why?”

She put it as delicately as she could. “If they are contagious…” she paused, he looked over his shoulder to her.. “..If they don’t get better…We’ll need a King… Prince Jinki you can’t get sick.”

Jinki looked away from her and mumbled with tears in his throat and a quivery bottom lip. “They aren’t going to die; they are just sick.” Frowning sadly, the doctor looked at the back of his head; she watched Jinki kiss his father’s forehead. The Crown Prince leaned a bit further to whisper in the shell of his ear “Right appa? You are going to be fine and Umma too?”

Taemin almost cried, he sniffed; wiped at his eyes then handed his cloth to the maiden that had been helping him with the Queen. Taemin walked over to his husband and crouched down beside him trying to help him up while whispering tenderly. “Come, Jinki. You know she is right, yeobo. You can’t afford to get sick…It’s just a precaution.”

The Crown Prince’s voice was so small; barely even a whisper when he replied. “I know.”

“Please, sit in a chair a few steps away from the bed if you wish to stay in the room.” The doctor said softly, while getting a seat for him and Taemin further away from his parents.

As they sat down Kibum and Jonghyun arrived and were stunned by the state the Crown was in. They were sweating and the king was waking up again to expel his stomach. The doctor helped the king to sit up and use the basin.

“Hyung, we’re sorry. This is private. Bad timing. We’ll be going” Jonghyun didn’t know what to do. He bowed to the king and queen not that they knew he and Kibum were in the room.

“Stay with us a moment.” Taemin asked kindly reaching for Kibum’s hand. Kibum took it and gently squeezed his hand sympathetically. Kibum nudged Jonghyun to see if Jinki was alright.

“Hyungnim?” Jonghyun sat down on the floor next to the Crown Prince. “You ok? Do you want me to bring you and Taemin anything to eat or anything? Or anything I can get for your parents? I can fetch some water.”

Jinki didn’t even look at his friend, but he did place his hand palm up in his own lap for Jonghyun to hold his hand. “I had a nightmare this would happen.” He said blankly as he kept his eyes on his parents. 

“Taemin told Kibum earlier and he told me. It’s going to be alright, hyung-nim.”

“This is my fault.”

Then Taemin, Kibum and Jonghyun turned to him. “Jinki, do not say that. How is this your fault?” Taemin whispered and rubbed his back.  “A Nightmare did not do this to your parents. It’s just a weird coincidence. Stop blaming yourself.”

“Kibum doesn’t feel well and Minho said he wasn’t feeling well too. This is not your fault; how can it be? You had a bad dream but it’s not like you made them ill just because you dreamt it; that makes no since. And if you are thinking the dream was a warning like you could have stopped them from being ill… well, there is nothing you could have done to stop them from getting ill. And another thing, was Minho and Kibum or your father in the dream? If not then don’t fret.”

Jinki patted Jonghyun’s hand but said nothing; he felt the weight of the world press down upon his shoulders and prayed silently for his parents to feel better soon…Kibum glanced back at the king and queen whom seemed to have settled into a deep slumber again. He returned his gaze to the princes; he sighed softly as he crouched down in front of him. Kibum kindly and softly explained “Hyung, I have to inform the court. I’m sorry but it’s my job. You have to be ‘Acting Crown while they are sick.”..A single tear fell from Jinki’s cheek as he tried to stay strong. Taemin wiped the tear from his husband’s cheek and spoke for him. “Thank you Advisor Kim.” Jinki squeezed his husband’s hand as to say thank you to Taemin; Jinki took a deep breath and finally acknowledged Kibum’s words. “Thank you Kibum for letting them get to the point where they are presentable for company. You are right it is time we tell the officials. “

“Will you be ok hyung-nim?” Kibum rubbed his knee, comforting him.

Jinki put on the smile of a confident leader. “Yes, I’m fine. Taemin is with me and I can handle it. It’s just overwhelming at first to see one so sick but I’m alright now. They will be fine in a few days. It’s nothing we can’t handle.”

“You don’t have to smile hyung. You are human, you are worried.”

“I’m The Crown Prince.” He said softly. “I… have too. Once Kibum tells the court, they will tell the SHAWols. The people need a brave leader, one that has hope. The people are a reflection of the Crown: If I don’t wear this smile of hope and confidence that all is fine, then they won’t have hope. If I believe they will be healthy soon; so will they..I need to be strong for my people.…”

Kibum smiled kindly. “I understand your highness. I’ll inform the court their King and his wife have gotten sick. They need to come and pay their respects to the crown within the hour. I will also make it clear for anyone to come talk to the king’s advisor and myself if they need anything. Then he or I will then relay things to you as to not disturb you while you spend time with your parents. If your parent’s condition worsens The King’s advisor and I will help you with your transition; we’ll both be your right hand man, both advising you: the three of us will work together to make it easier for you.”

“Thank you Kibum.” 

“Taemin, The Queen’s guard will help you with anything if she passes.”

Taemin nodded “Thank you advisor-nim”

“This is serious” he mumbled to Jinki after Kibum left. Jinki sighed and kissed Taemin’s hand “Indeed it is Taeminah.”

Taemin was beginning to feel a bit woozy but said nothing; he had to be strong for his worrying husband; he rather wait until Jinki had composed himself. “Jonghyun, may you fetch us some water?” Taemin asked kindly.

“Yes, Prince Taemin.”

They watched the parents sleep, and the servants cool them down with the wet cloths. The doctor was checking their heart rate…Taemin whispered “Remember when everyone leaves, you always have us to be human around ok?” Taemin thumbed over the back of his hand “You are strong.”

“I am strong because I have you…”

Jonghyun had returned with the water; he cleared his throat.

Jinki took his cup of water and chuckled “yessss, and you too Jonghyun.” He made Jinki smirk a real smile. “All of you, I don’t know what I’d do without you four.”

“Speaking of Minho, where is he?” Jonghyun asked as he sat down again…

…………..

Kibum walked into the Royal Office and professionally explained The Crown was ill, and they will be resting for a few days until their health returns to them. While Kibum and the officials went over the protocol and schedules in the offices for Jinki until the king and queen resumed their seats the servants in the King’s chamber helped The Crown Prince and Taemin look presentable for they had gotten dressed in a hurry this morning and looked disheveled. They had finished making them look princely just in time as the officials finally came to the room to sit with the King and Queen and them.

Kibum went looking for Minho before he went back to the King’s Chambers; he had found him alone, napping in the barracks. “Minho? What are you doing sleeping?”

“Oh Kibum.” He jumped awake. “Is my father looking for me? I must have passed out. I only meant to sit down for a few minutes. Please don’t tell my father I fell asleep.”

“I won’t. Hyung-nim’s parents are very sick. I told General Choi already to see the king and Jinki. I came looking for you to bring you as well.”

“I feel sick too. My whole body hurts. I have a pounding headache like the army is marching across my forehead. My throat hurts, when I talk. But it doesn’t feel like a regular sore throat.. it’s like....does my voice sound funny to you?”

“Your voice sounds deeper but you sound fine to me.” He helped Minho up and the rush of standing up made Minho dizzy and burp which made him groan and hiss “oooh, Ow, that hurt.” Grabbing his neck, Minho winched in pain.

“Did you just croak...Like a frog?” Kibum chuckled and handed him his sword.

“My throat feels like fire. I don’t think I can go see the Royal Family like this. If they are sick, I’ll just make them sicker.”

“You have to at least bow to them. Then excuse yourself and come back and sleep. But you know, this will make Jinki-hyung feel better. He will see his bad dream was just that: A Dream.”

“huh?” Minho tilted his head then Kibum explained Jinki’s worries while helping steady the solider before walking with him to the King’s chambers together…

……..

The crown prince and his spouse, the king’s advisor, 3 other high officials, General Choi, Jonghyun and the royal physician sat in the room while the Crown slept.   Leeteuk entered and bowed. “I’m sorry prince Jinki. I came as soon as I heard.”  He glanced over to Jonghyun and whispered to the crown prince as he sat down behind him. “What’s he doing in here?”

“I’m in here because I care about the prince and his parents. Prince Jinki asked me to be here for him.” Jonghyun whispered back.

Jinki shot him a look.  “Leeteuk, please.”

“I didn’t mean anything by it personally. I meant officially he shouldn’t be in here.”

Taemin pursed his lips and looked over his shoulder “Do you mind? I am trying to pray for their health to return. If you are going to talk, please remove yourself from the room.”

“I’m sorry.” Leeteuk murmured.

Kibum entered with Minho and took a seat with the group at the king’s bedside. Minho appeared normal safe for the sweat beading on his temples and a soft groan as he sat after greeting the Princes quietly. Jinki tilted his head: concerned, he scrunched up his brows and whispered. “Minho-ah are you ok?”

“I’m feeling really sick. I just came to say I’ll pray for your parents to get well soon before I retired for the day. Sorry, your first day of married life turned into this.”

Jinki smiled kindly and patted his hand. “It’s ok. Life happens. I actually feel better now that I know someone else is sick. Sorry you’re sick though.” 

Minho smirked weakly but friendly “I’m glad I could help Prince. Kibum told me about your dream. They are going to be fine. I am proof of that.”  He winked. The King groaned in his sleep, Minho and Jinki both turned to the bed; Jinki sat up straight and eyed him carefully. A servant re-wet his cloth and it seemed to settle the King. Jinki exhaled a breath he hadn’t even known he had been holding in. 

Minho’s body ached so much he didn’t leave to go to the barracks, walking that far seemed too much at the moment. He discreetly asked a servant for a small cup of water though. Minho took a seat on the other side of Jonghyun whom was sitting next to the Crown Prince. Taemin was of course on the other side of Jinki with Kibum next to him.. Behind their row was everyone else…

Leeteuk was wondering how long this was going to take, he was also surprised they got sick so fast. They weren’t supposed to start getting sick until 12 hours later. He glanced at the back of the five friends’ heads. He noticed that all five of them were sweating. He smirked when he saw a bead of sweat roll down Jinki’s neck. “Soon” 

9 hours had passed since they drank Leeteuk’s betrayal. And they were all staring to feel its affects. Jinki was nervous to mention it to Taemin; he couldn’t afford to get sick if his parents were sick. He didn’t want to leave Taemin with all that responsibility. Taemin felt he had to be strong for his husband on his first real day as a real royal. As Taemin’s stomach started to flip in the 10th hour, he felt a sour feeling creep into the pit of his belly, it made him dizzy and nauseated; He swayed in his seat a moment, feeling faint. Kibum turned to him and whispered. “Prince Taemin?”

Taemin felt embarrassed for almost falling out of his seat but kept his cool. “I’m fine, Kibum-nim.” The commotion grabbed the doctor’s attention she looked at them..Her eyes widened “Your highness, Prince Taemin.” She stood up from the Queen’s bedside and walked over to them and placed her hand on Jinki’s head then Taemin’s. “You both are sick. You are getting a fever”

“We are just worried sick; not actually sick. I’m fine.” Jinki didn’t know if he was trying to convince her or himself at this point. He knew he started feeling symptoms about 30 minutes ago and he knew he wanted to stay with his parents. “I think I’m just tired. We all are and we are very concerned.” One thing for sure is he was relieved he was sick as well; the proof he needed that his parents would be ok. Or so he thought….

“I know you are worried for your parents Prince Jinki and I’m sorry I can’t heal them faster for you. It will take time. Please just in case you are getting sick like them… maybe we should quarantine you two and the King and Queen..You are no good to us sick your highnesses. Please rest; take your husband with you.” She glanced at his friends. “You ...you are all sick? All five of you are sweating profusely.” She saw Minho’s pale face, Kibum attempting to focus; he was trying to control his breathing from his fast heart rate and his upset stomach. Jonghyun looked like he was about to faint. “We are fine, the prince needs us.” Kibum stated firmly. She kindly ordered softly “Everyone out before everyone in the room gets ill.” She glanced to the court members. “That means you all too.” She returned her attention to the two princes.. “The servants and I will tend to the King and Queen until they get well. I will check on you, prince Jinki, in the morning. If you do get sick and need me; send for me and I or one of the maidens here will come to aid you in your illness.”

Jinki knew she was right but hesitated to stand up. “Everyone out please, I need a moment with my father.” The doctor ushered everyone out safe for his four friends. Once they were gone Taemin helped his husband up and walked with him to the bed; they knelt down beside the sleeping king. “Father, get well ok?” He whispered in his ear again “I love you appa.” he kissed his cheek; Taemin rubbed Jinki’s back comforting him. Afterwards Jinki went to his mother’s side and kissed her and whispered “I wish I could take your pain away mother. Get well. I love you umma.” 

“Come, yeobo. We must get you to bed.” Taemin said softly as he helped him to stand.

The five friends were ordered by the doctor to rest…but they didn’t’ want to leave Jinki’s side so they went to his chambers….Jonghyun opened the doors to Jinki’s building “If we are contagious or something, we might as well stick together right?”

Jinki smirked weakly and teased “You just want to sleep on my sheets again.”

Jonghyun tried to be funny to lighten the mood too. “Hey, I’m sick..I need that comfort.”  They all lightly chuckled. Minho looked the worst so Jonghyun piled up a few pillows on the floor for him to rest on. Taemin undid Minho’s belt removing his sword; Kibum helped the solider lay back. Jinki removed Minho’s hat. “Are you comfortable Minhoah?” Jinki asked quietly as he pulled a blanket over the tall man; his feet poked out the bottom of the blanket.

Minho blushed “This is embarrassing. I’m supposed to be your strength. But yet you are helping me.”

Kibum smiled kindly “We are all pretending not to be as sick as we are. We are all trying to be strong for each other and the crown. Showing our true selves to one another is something not to be embarrassed about, right hyung-nim? Isn’t that what our little circle of friendship is about?”

“Kibum is right don’t feel embarrassed; you are human and sick. We all get that way and need help sometimes and now is one of those times. And..I am not feeling well either.” Jinki finally admitted.  “It’s not selfish is it? That I am happy we are sick?”

“No, hyung.” They all answerd. “It puts my heart and mind at ease too, yeobo.” Taemin softly smiled.

Jinki smiled weakly “Thank you.” He rubbed his forehead, as his headache was building rapidly now as they neared the 12th hour. “We’ve played together, worked together, we laughed and cried together. We will be sick together.” Jinki smiled to his friends. “Let’s just focus on getting better. We must be well for when my parents wake up.” They all nodded and followed their leader and made themselves comfortable on the floor on piles of pillowy cushions: falling asleep in a circle…