Reception

The Crown Prince

……Chapter 17….

With the Royal wedding table at one end of the room and a wide strip of aqua carpet running from the table, down the length of the room, dividing it into two, there, entertainment would perform on the carpet for all to see. On both sides of the carpet four long rows the length of the pavilion were soban (small dining tables) just raised high enough to allow for leg room, each table with a bright colored elegantly plush cushion with a wooden backrest placed on the floor for guests to set upon.

Minho was in a handsome bold blood red hanbok with white paji (hanbok trousers) tied with a shiny black silk belt closing his turumagi (the long over overcoat) instead of his normal uniform of the Royal SHINee Army. The royals always had their entertainers in beautiful presentable clothing when they preformed, so Jonghyun had wore one of his best looking hanboks he wears when performing: a stunning shiny eclectic blue hanbok he would sometimes wear if he was working instead of his own personal clothes for with his status they weren’t as posh and bright nor suitable for a wedding. Kibum was draped in a posh shimmering purple turumagi with a pink chigori (shirt/ jacket) underneath it and of course his tall black sheer gat (hat) with a wide round brim representing his rank and title in the hierarchy of officials…. During the reception the loyal friends sat near the wedding/family table; first row in front of the carpet, including Jonghyun whom was allowed to sit in the same row with his upper-class brothers. No one cared or noticed safe for Leeteuk who knew who he was and knew where he belonged. In the first front row on the opposite side of the carpet, The lord stared at him a while from across the floor not paying attention to the current performer...until Jonghyun felt him doing so; Jonghyun turned away from the dancer and looked at him;  Leeteuk smiled and nodded to him kindly before giving the dancer his attention again. Jonghyun was confused he whispered to Minho. “Hyung-nim’s cousin just bowed to me?”

“He did?”

“yeah.” He shrugged.

Minho smiled and patted his shoulder “Maybe he is drunk already.”

Jonghyun chuckled. “I hope so.”

Once the music stopped and the dancer bowed to the wedding couple there was a moment of chatting amongst the guests and it was the perfect moment Leeteuk was waiting for. “Kim Jonghyun-ah!” Stealing everyone’s attention, everyone in the massive pavilion looked at the royal cousin. Jonghyun began to nervously sweat. Minho and Kibum glared at the cousin then glanced to Jinki and Taemin. Taemin glanced to Jonghyun while Jinki kept his eyes on his cousin. Leeteuk smirked at Jonghyun “so what do your people.. People of your status, do for weddings Jonghyun? Any special traditions you can enlighten us with?”

Before the Crown could respond Jonghyun stood up quickly. Minho grabbed his writs for him to sit down. But Jonghyun whispered “Its ok.” Then out loud he wore a smile and calmly (even though he was scared, nervous and highly embarrassed on the inside) began as if he was performing…He raised his arms out wide, stepping over his little dining table and into the center of the room. He bowed to the family table. “My people do have a tradition. Would my two princes’ like to hear about it?”

Taemin smiled sweetly and nodded, his ornamental jewelry on his golden hat jangled and tinkled softly. Jinki’s beads swayed as well, he smiled warmly with a slight nod “Of course Jonghyun-ssi.”

My family comes from a smaller village to the east and we can sometimes be a loud funny bunch at weddings; for it is after all, a happy occasion. The groom carries the bride on his back around the entire room before the start of the feast. If he can make it without falling down under his spouse’s weight, it shows how strong of a husband he will be. Of course the couples always fall under the weight and slipperiness of their silky heavy wedding hanboks. So it’s just for fun to see them slip around the floor trying hard to stay up until they finish.”

The newlyweds laughed as did their parents. “Sounds fun” Said Taemin’s mother “Yes, I agree” said the Queen.

Taemin whispered to his husband “We should do it.” Jinki smiled and murmured “yes let’s.” The two princes stood up. The room was filled with giggles and Jonghyun felt like he put them on the hot seat. He bowed and walked up to their table and whispered. “Princes please you don’t have to. I don’t want you to hurt yourselves or get your clothing dirty.”

“Nonsense, we want to. It’ll be fun.” Taemin smiled cutely and whispered “Help us be funny just like you.” Jonghyun smiled and did his best….With four years of lessons and preparations from his friends and both set of parents Taemin handled the situation flawlessly; Taemin began acting, overreacted cutely; He scrunched up his face and rubbed his chin and said “Ok let’s see here. How do I.. um… how do I get on your back?” Another round of laughter from the guests followed by Jonghyun declaring theatricality “I’m the king’s Clown; I have done gags for the crown prince my whole life, looks like they have learned well.” Jonghyun teased, helping things run smoothly as he walked around the aqua carpet while talking and dramatically throwing his arms in the direction of Taemin whom was trying to humorously mount the Crown Prince. Leeteuk hated how they turned his plan to embarrass them around into their favor…However it really was difficult so it wasn’t hard to appear humorous, Taemin really couldn’t get on Jinki’s back so Taemin’s father helped. He whispered for their ears only “Prince, squat just a tad and bend over a bit, I’ll left Taemin-ah onto your back.”    “Yes, father-in-law-nim.” 

Taemin and Jinki smiled to the crowd; Jinki bent over. Taemin took Jinki’s big hat off while saying “Let’s move this.”  With a chuckle Jonghyun started to narrate them comically. “You see here, the bride-groom has removed the ceremonial hat to make room, so he will not poke his face or his eye out with the crown prince’s big hideous hat. Very good Choice Taemin-ah.”  Jinki laughed so hard his whole body shook. The younger took the opportunity to make them laugh again; Taemin frowned “Don’t laugh you are all jiggly.” Then with aegyo he cooed to his parent “Lift me up appaaa.”  The audience belly laughed. Minho and Kibum took a sip of their wine and enjoyed the show.

The wedding couple was a great gag duo, the regal guests laughed hardily and finally Taemin was stable on top of his husband’s back. “Carry me! Forward my husband!” Jinki carefully and slowly walked from behind the table and onto the aqua carpet “We’re ready Clown-nim” Jinki stated with a smile. Jonghyun bowed, walked in front of them leading the way around the room he exclaimed “Ladies and Gentleman I present to you The Crown Prince and his Groom!” He made his way behind towards the back rows on their friend’s side… Taemin almost slipped down his back but Jinki tucked his arms under Taemin’s knees the best he could with all the smooth clothing bulky and bunching up; Jinki bounced a bit, trying to throw Taemin higher up his back. Jonghyun shouted “You can do it, can’t they Yangban?!”

The guests cheered “NEH!”

“Then let them hear you. Cheer for our two princes!”

“Princes princes!” They chanted.

Leaning forward, Taemin giggled and whispered in the shell of his ear “We can do this jagiya, don’t drop me. Show them how strong you are.”

“I will yeobo.” Jinki took a deep breath, his little groom was so heavy and their silky robes were damn near impossible to keep Taemin in the middle of his back, a bead of sweat formed on his temple. He could feel his 20 yr old spouse slipping down his back again; He glanced to his cousin; Leeteuk wasn’t chanting and routing for them; despite it,  Jinki winked at his cousin as he bounced Taemin up his back again and strode hunched over but yet manly, carrying Taemin with pride and a very tight grip and determination.

Different things were being yelled out from all over the pavilion as they passed along the guests

“Strong Jinki-nim!” Slowly but surely they were going to make it…

“Princes! Princes!” 

“hyung-nim hyung-nim!!!” Kibum and Minho stood up and cheered the loudest..The parents even chanted for their children to make it…“You can do it!” “Hold on Taemin-ah!”

The younger’s hat tingled in Jinki’s ear as the jewelry danced on his golden hat as he was hiked up again… “Don’t drop Prince Taemin!”   Taemin did wobble and slide sideways but he didn’t fall. Jinki readjusted him yet again….Strong arms regardless of the smooth slippery material…

“Don’t slip!”…..With every step the cheering gave Jinki strength, steady sock covered feet on the polished slippery wooded floor..

As they came around to the aqua carpet again, they crossed over it to continue to go around the back of the rows of people on the opposite side of the pavilion. There Jonghyun left them and went up the center onto the diving carpet and looked right at the prince’s cousin “Lord Leeteuk, The crown prince is strong isn’t he? My tradition fits them well. Fit for a future King!” The crowd laughed at the lord; Jonghyun smirked “he hasn’t slipped once. Cheer louder; they can’t hear you! With your cheers I am sure they will make it all away around.”

Leeteuk had no choice but cheer along with the others “Princes, Princes Princes!” He clapped and forced himself to smile “go prince Jinki-ah! A good husband doesn’t let his spouse fall! Hang on tight prince Taemin-ah”

There was an explosion of cheers and a standing ovation when the two made it back to the center of the room. Jonghyun shouted joyfully “They did it! Our Crown Prince is the strongest man in the SHINee World!”

Jonghyun helped Taemin carefully off Jinki’s back. He smiled softly “Congratulations my princes on your marriage.” He bowed. “And thank you.” He murmured for their ears only.

Jinki placed his hand on his shoulder, telling him to get up from his bow. “Thank you Jonghyun. That was fun. And the look on you know whose face when I didn’t fall or let Taeminah slip off. Priceless.”

Jonghyun smirked “very priceless, your highness.”

Jonghyun walked with a giddy skip in his step over to Leeteuk “You are proud of your cousin, yes?”

“Well of course.” The man lied. The moment made them even more popular if that was possible but he could live through this so called happy and blessed day knowing he would soon be wearing the crown of Jinki’s father. Leeteuk mumbled low enough for Heechul to hear. “Of course Royalty wouldn’t fall like weak peasants.”  But Jonghyun over heard and remarked with a fake smile so only Leeteuk could hear before he walked back to his seat “Oh, but I am not a peasant; I’m the Crown’s clown and a singer.  I am rich not in money but with true friends. AND I live in the SHINee palace which you do not.”  Jonghyun winked at the devil before returning to his seat.

The princes made their way back to their seats as well; Jinki giggled and murmured to Taemin as they sat down “I think our Jonghyun and us handled that well don’t you think?” Taemin chuckled “yeah. And yeobo, by the way, you look handsome with your new hair style. I forgot when I took off your hat there would be a topknot there. I like it very much.” He giggled happily. Jinki eye smiled “Thank you. Oh yeah that’s right, you got one too. I can’t wait to see what yours looks like when you take off your wedding crown.” They chuckled adorably as Taemin handed Jinki back his wedding gat so he may cover his hair.

The King made a toast to the wedded couple and things settled back down and the formal party resumed. Then Jinki stood up unexpectedly an hour or two later “Before we end the banquet. I would like to present a present to my husband, Prince Taemin.”

Taemin blinked surprised. “Oh?”

Jinki said nothing, only smiled tenderly and walked away. Taemin’s mother and the Queen leaned towards Taemin with smiles “You’re going to love this Taemin-ah.” “We’ve heard him practice for two months straight.” Taemin looked at the mothers then over to Jonghyun, Minho, and Kibum in the 1st row whom were grinning like idiots at him. He glanced to his own father then Jinki’s even they looked proud and happy. Practice what? Did everyone know about this but him? Where is Jonghyun going?...

Jonghyun got up again and at the same time his family came out as well with their instruments. The Kim’s sat on the floor in a semicircle, their hanboks sprawled elegantly framing around their persons in a striking dark blue upon the aqua velvet flooring; Jinki joining them, standing in the middle of the crescent shaped formation of musicians.  A beautiful baritone note was struck on Jonghyun’s string instrument, vibrating in a low rumble. As the tone began to fade, Mr. Kim hit his drum evoking his wife and children to strike the same note as Jonghyun all together on their kayagums. As the slow beat and enchanting melody rose higher the Crown Prince’s smooth soft vocals were gently added, accompanying the notes flawlessly.

To everyone’s surprise, they all stared awestruck at the honey rich manly voice.  Taemin blushed madly, a tear formed in his eyes as he watched his husband. He bit his lip and didn’t realize he had held his breath the moment Jinki’s voice floated into the air beyond handsomely. Jinki’s voice rose higher, stronger; Taemin exhaled and the tear was released from his lash, prettily rolling gently down his pink cheek. With his eyes affixed to Jinki’s and never breaking eye contact he reached for a fan on the table. With a quick flick of his wrist, it opened: covering his blushing wet cheeks and his dreamy shy smile. The soothing bassy vibrato of Jinki’s angelic voice delivered his massages of love and happiness of this blessed day. The lyrics..public but yet private with the real meaning…With every pluck and strike to the chords Jinki described cryptically how he fell in love with Taemin so only he could decipher; Taemin loved it; it was poetic…poetry in heavenly notes.  Jinki held a long note making Taemin gasp in awe; their mothers smiled cutely at Taemin’s reaction. The drum stopped and one by one the strings stopped with Jonghyun ending the song that he had started. Jinki’s last note faded shortly after the string’s vibration ended but the memory will last a life time; when the room fell silent Jinki bowed deeply to his royal spouse. It was the most beautiful performance the SHINee Kingdom had ever seen. Taemin was the first to clap and praise him then soon the room cheered for the crown prince. Jinki walked back up to Taemin, resume his seat beside him and patted his hand under the table. Even though Taemin was hiding behind his aqua fan Jinki could see his pink cheeks, he knew the younger was grinning the way his water eyes were shaped into half moons. “You’re blushing Prince Taemin.” Taemin blinked his shiny wet lashes. “It was so beautiful. I can’t stop crying.” He giggled “Thank you hyung-nim”

….

The reception, a jubilant success, finished shortly after; almost everyone went to their rooms to retire…The 3 friends were on their way to the royal family’s buildings to privately wish them all well and give their congratulations one last time before Jinki and Taemin went to their marital bed for the night… Leeteuk was also on his way to “wish” them something else with his bottles of liquid hate…..