Wedding (Honrye)

The Crown Prince

 

………………Chapter 16…………..

Wedding

In the last two weeks Yangban (upper class/officials ect.) visitors arrived from across the SHINee Kingdom to the palace. Even the lower classes journeyed to the SHINee City for the jubilant event, filling up every Inn outside the palace gates while the palace was bursting at the seams with guests. The palace servants were all in a giddy mood and ready to accept Prince Taemin’s permanent stay.  Everywhere for the past two weeks was bustling with happy energy for the joyous occasion. Some subjects outside the Palace gates had already been partaking in celebration: Their spirits high with Soju and fine rice wines all week long leading up to the wedding. Music, drink, and dance: the city was alive, vibrant, and happy…Everyone from everywhere was in the festive mood safe for the evil three….

Shindong was anxiously waiting for it all to be over, to hear happy news if his poisons worked their magic. Leeteuk and Heechul, with their snobby noses in the air, passed through the exuberant crowd of subjects partying throughout the SHINee City on their way to the palace a few days before the wedding. A mass of excited commoners congregated outside the Palace’s main gate celebrating the Crown Prince and his upcoming marriage, cheering for all those entering the massive gates: a welcoming of sorts..a welcoming the Lord did not care for and thought of as an eyesore and completely unnecessary for the unworthy crown prince who dare to sit on the throne he coveted. Leeteuk closed the curtain of his royal carriage he was being carried in by his servants as to not view the flighty lower-class shawols; rolling his eyes he mumbled with gritted teeth to the man seated in the fancy box with him “Soon they will bow to me if it’s the last thing I do.”

Heechul smirked and touched his own pocket where the 7 bottles lay hidden. “Yes, soon.” 

……………………………

The past two months leading up to the wedding Taemin had to wear yellow every day since the official wedding announcement as it was Jinki’s family tradition for the bride of the future King to wear the angelic flower’s hue; Jinki wore Emerald as tradition in honor of his ancestors as a reminder of where his family came from. The bright colors they wore during engagement: a symbol of the purity of Emerald Fields; wearing the colors showing their ual purity until they wed.. Representing them stepping out of the “pure” garden as did the 1st king and Queen centuries ago and the consummation of the wedding. The next morning after consummation they must wear the Kingdom’s colors: pearl aqua. The Kingdom’s color representing the Human and Angel ancestors – The color of the sky and clouds, blue and white (heaven) mixed with the color of Emerald green (earth) making pearl aqua, the color of their heavenly blessed Kingdom….

The day of the honrye (wedding ceremony) was finally upon the land..In the village, standing in his parents’ home for the last time as a resident; Taemin’s servants dressed him slowly. Not in his regular yellow hanboks of the past two months but in a lavish yellow ceremonial hanbok made for him by the Queen’s royal seamstresses. Slipping his arms into the long sleeves as his maiden draped the heavy topcoat of his robes over his shoulders while another female wrapped his belt around his waist before tying it in a soft knot. The center of his belt was big and round taking up half his torso, in the center of the circle was an outline of the famous yellow hibiscus of the bride to be or in his case the groom to be, sewn in the golden leaf lace, the golden pattern only worn by royals. The golden lace traced along all the hems of his attire as well. The women stepped aside…The younger whom had helped him into his hanbok picked up a comb from the table. The other after finishing his belt began unbraiding his hair; a little teary eyed she held out her hand for the comb. “We’ll miss you young master Taemin.” She said as she was given the comb and began combing his long locks down his back. Emotional, she cleared . “I mean Prince Taemin.”  They had been dressing and attended to him his whole life; they felt almost as if it where their own child marrying and moving away to the house of the husband.

“I will come to visit my parents. I’m not leaving forever. I will come to say hi, maiden noonas. I promise.”

“You are too kind Taemin-nim, just like the crown prince. No wonder he chose you.” her voice cracked.

“Aw please don’t cry.”

“Sorry” She sniffed and began pulling his hair up upon his head giving him his very first sangtus  (topknot): the official hairstyle of a married man.

“Don’t be sorry.” His long black bangs framing one side of his face handsomely, he turned around and held her hands in his. “Thank you and I will miss you as well. Both of you. Please take care of my mother and father for me.”

The other female placed an extravagant golden wedding headpiece on his head. “We will” they bowed then said “You look handsome” after making sure his heavy headgear was fastened correctly.

“Thank you.” He smiled sweetly, inhaled steadily and on the exhale gave his final request, trying not to get emotional as well; he spoke softly with a slight tremble in his voice “Walk me out?”

Nodding, they smiled and wiped their tears, following behind the newly titled highness.

While the Magistrate's son got ready to make his journey to his new home the final touches were being made throughout the palace making sure everything was perfect. Decorative lanterns in royal pearl aqua with long tassels of red, pink, blue, green and yellow hung from the cheoma (the curvy edges of the slopped roofs) tastefully. Flower wreath-stands donning ribbons of well wishes were lining the inner brink walls of the Palace grounds surrounding the main courtyard. Colorful flower arrangements lined the royal courtyard as well where the ceremony would take place for it was the largest area to accommodate the abundance of guests from around the Kingdom. A strip of red velvet carpet ran the middle of the stone yard from the main gate to the throne hall and up its steps. In front, at the feet of the Throne hall with all eyes of the nation on them is where the couple will wed shortly. Cooks worked happily as the decorators worked on beautifying the grounds; they had been working on a special new meal for weeks…that was made from a special ingredient; the main ingredient was the couple’s favorite vegetable, cabbage, in honor of their unique wedded union. The royal cooks had no idea the meal marking the occasion would become such a hit during the wedding and would later become the nation’s official dish: Kimchi, in honor of Jinki and Taemin’s wedding.

The Palace assistant dressed The Crown Prince after his bath. He slipped into his silky Emerald ceremonial gwanbok (wedding hanbok for men), much heavier than his everyday green hanboks since the engagement. Normally the prince disliked the weight of ceremonial clothing but this time he enjoyed it…He imaged it as a symbol of a hug or love...as if the weight of Taemin’s love, if love could be weighed, was upon him for the wedding. Maybe it’s cheesy but it made the Prince happy as he sighed happily thinking of his soon to be royal spouse. “Prince?” His servant tapped his shoulder.  “Your highness is daydreaming. Lift your arms please.” She giggled as he blushed and raised his arms for her to place his belt around his waist. “Sorry.” He chuckled.

As she combed out his long thick silky black hair he smiled “Did I ever thank you?” He asked

“For what your highness?”

“For always watching out for Taemin and I all these years. Thank you for not telling my parents we courted before I came of age 4 years ago.”

“It’s my honor, prince.” She almost braided his hair like usual then paused; starting to get nostalgic she felt a tear threatening to form in the corner of her eye. “I.. I can’t believe you are going to be married. I’m so happy for you and Prince Taemin” She began pulling his hair up into a knot on top of his head. “I bet your parents are excited. Taemin will be a great addition to your family line.”

“Thank you... Are you crying noona?”

Her lip quivered, she squeaked as she lied cutely “no”. She took a big breathe to calm herself “I’m so happy. I was just thinking of how you always hated getting dressed up as a child.” She chuckled as the tear slipped from her eye and her voice wavered.

“Aw, noona.”

She wiped her eye then finished the last of the hair knot while she said playfully. “I plan on telling Prince Taemin all about you as a baby running around the palace halls without any bottoms on; your little chubby royal cheeks exposed to all the nannies, if you tell anyone I cried.”

Jinki chuckled. “What? That never happened.” yes it did.

She smirked “You were two, you just don’t remember.”

She smiled softly and picked up his ceremonial hat with ornaments dangling in front and back and walked in front of him placing it on his head. “Congratulations Prince Jinki-ah.” She winked. “Now go get married your highness.” She bowed respectfully. Jinki sighed cutely and smoothed over his flawless fabric “Thank you” he said to her and started to walk out.

“Prince?”

“Yes?” he turned around

She wanted to hug him… but hesitated knowing it was not proper, thus she stood still..She smiled “All of us support you. Congratulations again…see you and prince Taemin in the morning to clothe you. Everyone will be very warm and welcoming to him. We’re all so happy for you prince Jinki.” Another tear slipped out without her permission; she wiped her wet lashes. “I’ll make sure your aqua hanboks are prepared for the morning.”

Jinki smiled sweetly; the kindhearted prince stepped over to her and embraced her “Do wedding always make you cry?”

“No, I only cry at the weddings where the royal baby grows up and marries the man he loves.” she chuckled and pulled out of the hug; she hadn’t hugged him since he was toddler.

“aww, I love you too. Now dry those eyes” He smiled cutely.

“yes yes, I must be professional.” She dusted herself off and inhaled deeply.

The prince playfully said “oh yes of course.” He nodded cutely making her laugh. “Us people from the palace are always professionals.”

They shared a chuckle as she opened his doors for him to take his leave…

Meanwhile Leeteuk’s servant finished dressing him as well and had just left his guest chambers. Once he was alone a sickening smirk crept up as he walked over to the drawer; retrieving a small pouch cinched closed with a ribbon. Loosening the silky ribbon, he opened the small bag and pulled out the glass bottle tubes. The 7 bottles clicked together as he rolled them on to his palm as he admired them: his goals within his grasp. The demented man chuckled and closed his fist tight around them before slipping them back into the pouch. Leeteuk pulled the bag with one hand and the ribbon with the other: tightening it closed before tucking the poisons into an inner pocket of his hanbok. A pompous cackle left his lips as he exited his chambers for the ceremony...

Back in the village his small hand gracefully holding the helpful out stretched arm of his maiden for balance, Taemin slipped on his boat shaped wedding shoes over his white cotton socks before leaving his family home. He stepped out of his hanok, his mother and father were awaiting his arrival dressed just as flawless and as stunning as he, they bowed to their son and in return his highness nodded slightly, his long charms dangled from his heavy golden headpiece and a small shy and happy smile graced his handsome face as he began his way to his carriage. As Taemin stepped down the steps of his house and neared his wedding carriage he glanced around. The whole village was there to send him off. Hundreds of people crowded around the dusty road in front of his home and once they saw him they all hushed and bowed deeply in respect. The entourage behind his sedan chair that was to follow him to the palace bowed as well. Taemin blinked a few times trying to hold back his happy tears. Like a true royal no teardrops fell in public; he took a deep shaky breath however before proceeding up the tiny stairs leading to his black and gold seat that had pearl aqua streamers hanging from each of the four corners of the canopy above the chair. It wasn’t the typical four-walled box; it was open to the elements for all to see him inside. “The bride’s” parents came up from their bow first once he was seated and stood behind the lavish palanquin (carriage/sedan chair) and behind them the town’s local officials, other family members, and many other distinguished guests of the “bride” to be. Four servants on each side of the carriage took their places and hoisted up the wooden poles onto their shoulders. A few females with huge umbrellas in the wedding colors, green and yellow, with royal aqua fringe hanging around the hem took their places in front along with other subjects holding aqua colored lanterns on the end of long poles to lead the long procession to the SHINee Palace.

Many subjects waited hours just to see the parade travel by. It isn’t everyday royalty gets married let alone two males; nor is it common to see and catch a glimpse of royalty up close in real life especially in all the majestic beauty, everything about the event was exciting for the whole kingdom. The huge wedding party passed many crowds along the route; Taemin acknowledging them with a dignified nod and a small regal wave.  As soon as the wedding procession was spotted in a town or by passersby traveling the road, cheers would erupt from the subjects “Long live our two Princes!” others awestruck, rendering them speechless, while viewing the beautiful colorful display. And no matter what, they all would bow as Taemin passed them before cheering, and or tossing flowers his way and shouting out their well wishes once more. The journey to the main palace gate from Taemin’s family home took an hour and there he was greeted by a huge jubilant crowd of city folk.

Hearing the shawols outside the palace gates roaring with joy, Jinki’s maiden walked into the room he and his parents were waiting in and informed the royal family it was time. All the Yangban within the palace walls could hear the deafening sound as the younger prince approached outside the main gate as they took their places in the courtyard; Leeteuk rolled his eyes and mumbled a nasty remark to Heechul as they lined up along the red carpet; Jonghyun, Minho, and Kibum grinned happily “our Taeminah is here.” they giggled excitedly not catching that eye roll of the Lord as they whispered amongst themselves. Jonghyun laughed as he said “Why am I nervous? I’m not the one getting married” They chuckled. “Hyung-nim must be so excited to hear them cheering for their union.” Minho whispered as they stood up from sitting along the velvet carpet where they had been waiting.  And the Crown Prince was indeed excited; Jinki smiled happily as he walked out of the area he had been waiting with his parents… His emerald robes elegantly flowing with each step; Jinki regally walked to his sedan chair, and up onto the platform of the open carriage. His long posh robes fanning over his feet and his long emerald sleeves draped over the armrests as he sat. Once his procession was in order and ready, his servants lifted the chair. The fringe of Jinki’s chair shimmied as he was lifted up into the air and swayed with each step as they carried him to the courtyard to meet with Taemin.

General Choi had been waiting on the outside of the gates. He hushed the crowed once he was informed the Crown Prince was ready, thus a peaceful and respectful silence fell upon the crowd of commoners as they bowed. Taemin’s parents moved from the rear to the front of the sedan chair to lead their son and their party in…Guards on the inside, beat on the huge colorful drums signaling Taemin’s grand arrival as other guards pulled the giant heavy gates wide open allowing the wedding procession to enter; It also gave the lower classes a small glimpse of the inside of the gorgeous decorative palace grounds.  

The Crown’s guests watched the doors slowly open and a sliver of the females walking with their pretty traditional lanterns stepping forward. The wider the doors the better the view of the luxurious parade making their grand entrance. Heavy creaking of the gates rumbled through the huge courtyard as they were pulled slowly open and reached their maximum opening. The ladies lighting the journey walked onto the red carpet allowing the women with the traditional umbrellas to inch forward as well allowing Taemin’s parent’s entrance. Behind them all towering above their shoulders and heads was Taemin high on his classy palanquin. While all eyes were on the younger groom in yellow, Jinki’s carriage, with his parents in front of his chair as well, was lead around the outer edges of the courtyard behind the upscale guests until meeting up with Taemin’s as it entered the ceremonial yard. Once Taemin crossed over the threshold of the palace gates, there his carriage halted. The King and Queen had been walking closer as the wedding party crossed into the palace; they greeted the Lee’s with a bow; Taemin’s parents bowed respectfully in return. The Queen took her place next to Mrs. Lee in the procession while Magistrate Lee stepped aside as the Crown Prince’s procession proceeded closer from the side of the gated wall surrounding the inside of the courtyard. The crown Prince’s parade faced the side of Taemin’s. As their parents bowed Taemin glanced to the side and caught his future husband smiling sweetly; no one could hear it but the happy couple giggled giddily under their breath.

Taemin’s women began to walk and continued on all the way to the steps of the throne hall. Mrs. Lee and the Queen followed shortly after and once they reached their destination Taemin’s sedan resumed motion. As he passed the guests lined up on the sides of the velvet carpet Taemin looked stoic but yet he had a gentle smile, he didn’t see Leeteuk glaring at him but he saw his 3 friend’s on his right hand side, grinning happily with watery eyes of joyous tears trying hard to look just as serious as all the other officials and guests.  The strong men holding his carriage came to a halt and gently lowered Taemin’s chair to the ground. The woman that would be his new personal maiden at the palace helped him out of the palanquin. The hems of his long yellow hanbok brushed against the ground, elegantly dragging a bit, and sweeping with a tiny swoosh with each graceful step. His carriage was taken away as Taemin walked over to where a small table with a pearl aqua tablecloth was centered on the ground. Taemin’s mother had laid gifts for the Crown Prince’s family. After a bow to the Queen and his own mother Taemin turned around and faced the gate with his back to the throne hall and watched his father and the King leading the Crown Prince’s procession toward him.

The Crown Prince coming into better focus as he neared, Taemin realized how truly handsome Jinki looked; his heart beat rapidly in his chest and with every beat of his heart, a step closer his future husband came.. The string of beads attached to the front of Jinki’s headpiece swayed in front of his face and the tassels gently rocked on the top corners of his chair….. Finally the fathers took their places next to their wives; Magistrate Lee on Taemin’s side and of course the King next to his wife where Jinki would soon be standing in front of them. They lowered Jinki to the ground; Taemin’s heart fluttered and thumped loudly as he saw his man on high come down, his hat with beads in front and back dangling down, swaying yet again as Jinki stepped flawlessly from his carriage with angelic grace; his long emerald robes flowing with each princely step.  Jinki took his position on the other side of the table across from Taemin as his family laid presents in a wooden chest on the table for Taemin’s family. The two women with the umbrellas, one stood near Taemin and the other came around near Jinki: providing shade from the summer sun.

The two families bowed to each other. The officials bowed to the two families and took their seats. Taemin on the left side and Jinki on the right; the two grooms knelt down onto pearlescent aqua cushions, sitting on their ankles with the table dividing them..The royal honrye ceremony commenced……

….They drank special white wine (jung jong) which had been poured from cups made from two halves of a gourd made by Taemin’s mother. Taemin and Jinki sipped from their cups, then mixed the wine together and sipped again as the last wedding vow….

Finally official: Prince Taemin and the Crown Prince smiled and stood up together and proceeded to their thrones to face their kingdom together. Finally a real prince, Taemin glanced quickly and happily at Jinki as they made their way up the steps where the thrones had been sitting all the while outside the throne hall. They faced the crowd for the first time as a married couple; they bowed to the shawols before taking their royal seats for all to see. 

Finally the crown prince married his love; with a smile ,and without moving his lips noticeably by anyone, he whispered for Taemin’s ears only “I love you” The kingdom bowed to their newly wedded sovereign’s and as they did so the younger murmured, returning his affectionate words “I love you”…When the guests came up from the bow, The newlyweds stood up and addressed the court with “Thank you”

The couple slowly walked down the steps and forward as the two servants followed with the two huge extravagant umbrellas shielding them from the sunlight again as the couple made their way to the biggest pavilion over the pond…

Leaving the guests behind them as they turned the corner finally in private safe for the woman providing them shade; Jinki faced his groom as he walked. “You look so handsome. My hands are sweaty.”

Taemin giggled and teased. “That is your first words to me as your husband?”

“My first words were I love you.” Jinki winked.

“Ahh, true. But don’t worry, I’m sweaty too.” They laughed. “I was so nervous.”

“You did fine Taeminah. Daebak!”

“We’re married! Can you believe it? Wow” The younger sighed dreamily.

“Thank the heavens.” Jinki smiled sweetly as he saw the sun sparkling in the younger’s eyes, reflecting golden brown flakes in his irises, twinkling like millions of stars. “You are breathtaking Taemin.”

“aw, thank you sweetie. You are so handsome; I thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest.”

“Me too.” With a bright eye-smile Jinki confessed as he giggled again. “I’m so happy that I can’t express how I feel right now.” He sighed dreamily like the other had… They came to the stairs of the pavilion and giggled happily as they climbed the steps with the help of the women for their heavy hanboks made it slightly difficult.

Once alone in the pavilion, the servants gave them privacy and waited outside the pavilion at the bottom of the steps. They chatted briefly about the wedding as they waited for both sets of parents to join them privately for the paebaek ceremony before the guests arrived. 

Normally held the next day but as tradition the paebek ceremony was family only and there during the ceremony they paid their respects to their parents.  The King and Queen entered first followed by Taemin’s parents. The parental quartet sat down on the opposite side of the small table on the floor where the wedded couple waited on cushions matching their wedding attire…First they bowed to the King and Queen, and once they had, Taemin was considered formally accepted into the family. They respectfully bowed to Taemin’s parents afterwards. The two families had exchanged gifts. The children offered the parents something to drink and shared in a toast. Their parents gave them their well wishes and advice for a happy marriage…Jinki and Taemin held out a pearl aqua cloth and Jinki’s parents threw dates and chestnuts on to it to see how many kids they would have. Even though Taemin is male they did this tradition anyway and it was fun for the newlyweds; one Chestnut bounced right off the cloth and hit the younger prince in the cheek before rebounding and falling back into the cloth making the six of them laugh. The happy family moment lasted about 20 or 30 minutes; they were having too much fun, but it had to come to an end for the King’s advisor informed them it was time to let the guests gather in the pavilion for a grand feast.  The six of them stood up, the small table was taken away and they all walked to the end of the room and sat at the long family table that was draped splendidly in a silky shiny cloth in the kingdom’s color. The newlyweds naturally sat in the center with their parents at their sides. Once they were situated the servants allowed the guests to leave the courtyard to approach this wing of the grounds…