Loath

The Crown Prince

……..Chapter 13……..

Later that night they watched every move Lord Leeteuk made during the engagement dinner feast. Nothing suspicious..yet...Taemin murmured to his prince as they ate near the King and Queen and Taemin’s parents “I think he is on to us. He knows we are watching him…There isn’t anything he can do to us is there?”

“Nothing legally.” Jinki patted his hand. “He is shifty. I don’t trust him. I am afraid he will try something to you. If he touches you…” Jinki stopped and looked over to his cousin that was staring him down across the room. “...I will kill him myself.” The prince murmured.

“I’ll be fine prince hyung. I’m worried for you more than myself.”

“I know Taeminah” He smiled softly.

Just then the King cleared his throat and everyone instantly became quiet and looked up. “I hope everyone is enjoying the happy weekend in honor of the engagement. I would like to toast the Prince and Master Lee once again.” After the toast The King added “I have another announcement.” Not knowing what he was going to say both Jinki and Taemin looked at each other before returning their attention to the king. “Master Taemin...” The king looked him in the eyes. “I am changing your title. As our guests as witnesses let it be known, Lee Taemin, son of Magistrate Lee from hence forth will be known as Prince Taemin!”

The people exclaimed joyfully. “Long Live Prince Jinki and Prince Taemin!”

Utterly surprised, Taemin widened his eyes. Jinki smiled happily and turned to him right away and whispered “Prince Taemin” He grinned cutely. “Congratulations Prince Taemin!”

Taemin blushed; shocked, but like a true royal; he smiled not letting his nerves show to the crowd.  “Thank you”

Once things settled back down Taemin sighed “Well, that made it worse for me.” He chuckled awkwardly.

“He can’t touch you now, Taemin.” Jinki grinned then shot his cousin a look.

Kibum stepped up to the steps in front of their highnesses’ long table. “Congratulations Prince Taemin.”

“Did you know about this?” Taemin smirked

“Of course I did.” Kibum smiled and winked. “My father and I along with other officials and scholars alongside the King made it possible for you. We have been working on it for some time now..Months actually.” He bowed to them both. “Enjoy your meal my Princes”

Kibum then mumbled to them “He is gonna hate that.” referring to Jinki’s cousin. Kibum giggled then added “Jerk” as he left the royal area and back to his own seat.

Suddenly stealing all the attention away from the many joyous conversations erupting after the King’s announcement was the heavenly sound of music floating into the atmosphere. A timber in the bass of vibrating strings dancing under the musicians slender fingertips; an angelic voice slowly rising with the gentle melody, blending elegantly together in song.  Everyone looked to the center of the room; There sat Kim Jonghyun in a raven colored hanbok with embroidered silver stars lacing along one side all the way down to the bottom hem of his long robes that were fanned out beautifully around him; the onyx fabric, a beautiful contrast against the red velvet floor where he sat with his kayagum (a traditional string instrument) in his lap playing for the happy couple…There wasn’t a sound from anyone as they all were captivated by his handsome voice; listening in awe.

Chief Choi stood on guard near the Royal table. He watched the Prince tenderly rub his pinky on Taemin’s hand as everyone else enjoyed the entertainment. He smiled then glanced to Jonghyun who was amazing as always. He noticed Jonghyun was sitting right in front of Lord Leeteuk’s eye line whom by the way was looking rather annoyed with a scowl upon his face. The devoted solider his teeth and stared at him; wishing he could wipe that look off his face and make him smile for the sake of his two princes. Angry, Minho wrapped his hand around the handle of his sword tightly; Leeteuk must have felt him staring from across the room; he looked up to the throne table and soon found Minho glaring right back at him. Leeteuk rolled his eyes and returned his attention away to Jonghyun.  Minho growled under his breath “disrespectful scum.”

When the song was over, Performer Kim bowed to The Crown then the two princes. He looked up and smiled at his friends, with a happy tear in his eye. Taemin and Jinki smiled gracefully and with a small bow of their heads and a little teary eyed themselves they thanked him.  

…..

As the party carried on Jonghyun ended up scooting closer to the side where Leeteuk and his people were seated, letting his sister sit in the center of the room as she played drums and he continued on his own instrument and his mother joined them and sang as she danced. In his new position Jonghyun listened in on Leeteuk’s conversation…..People started dancing during the second hour...Eventuality, The King asked the Queen for a dance. So Taemin’s father asked his wife. Thus Jinki did what their fathers did and asked his new prince. “Prince Taemin, Would you dance with me?” Taemin smiled prettily. “Yes Prince.” … As drink flowed throughout the night Leeteuk’s tongue became loose and filled Jonghyun with what he needed to overhear…… 20mintues later Jonghyun glanced over his shoulder when he had heard a familiar voice. He saw Minho was there. Minho thought since the prince was dancing they were safe so he made his way to the man he loathed. Jonghyun turned back around; pretending not to eavesdrop he was straining to hear through the music and the crowd of people celebrating….“I know what you said to advisor-nim, Lord Leeteuk. You threaten them; I threaten you.” he growled “You better watch yourself or else your head will be on a pike at the front main gates to the palace for all to see.” Minho walked off not giving him the opportunity to say a word; Jonghyun smirked.

  ……

After the feast they all retired…the group met in Jinki’s chambers like always. “Hyung-nim Leeteuk only recently found out about the laws your parents made. He was angry by the royal decree.”Jonghyun began as soon as they were all alone.   “He was going on and on about, how it is disgraceful and a ersion to the Thorne.”

Taemin’s lip trembled; being strong but highly offended it made him want to cry. “sion?” He said trying to sound firm. 

Jonghyun bowed. “I’m sorry Taeminah. “

“It’s fine.” Taemin turned around; back facing his best friends; he wiped his secret tear.

Minho groaned and then softly said “It will be ok Prince Taemin.” He stepped closer trying to comfort his 2nd prince. He patted his shoulder. Jinki nodded to Minho and patted Taemin’s other shoulder. Tears threaten to fall from Prince Jinki as well, deeply hurt by the words of his own family member “Taemin, you aren’t thinking about calling it off are you?”

Taemin took a deep breath and turned around. “Never Prince Hyung.”  Minho stepped away and next to Kibum to give them a moment. Taking off his black gat Kibum nibbled his lip and rested his head on Minho’s shoulder feeling he might cry as well. Jonghyun hugged the guard and Kibum as the prince again hugged Taemin tightly. The three watched the couple, their hearts aching for their royal brothers.

Minho sighed “Get married tomorrow and adopt right way. I can’t bare this pain you are suffering Hyung-nim and Taemin-nim”

Jonghyun rubbed Minho’s back. “They can’t. That would look strange. They have to wait. If they rush it something bad could happen. My gut is telling me so.”

“Then what should they do? I am supposed to help Jinki hyung and I can’t.”Kibum cried. “Nothing I will say will make any of their pain go away.”

“I am supposed to protect them and neither can I.”  Minho said “It is killing me.”

Jonghyun sighed “nothing we will do can take hurtful words away. As far as I know he hasn’t planned anything. If he did he didn’t say it directly. He is just a hateful bastard that wants the throne.”

Jinki turned his heads towards them and narrowed his brows and voiced deeply “He wants my father’s throne?”; Taemin sniffled and looked up from the embrace.

“He said something about: if his family was on the seat he wouldn’t make a mockery of the court like the king has done. But he didn’t say he would actually try and take it from him. He only now found out about the laws your parents changed. He was furious he was left out of those meetings with all the officials and advisors. It was what he was looking for in the library: the law scrolls. I think he was going to put your family on trial maybe if the laws had not been changed by the King. So he was probably mad he can’t now. It’s a good thing your parents are smart and did change them years ago. But you said we need proof we still have none. Just the fact he hates you both.. the idea of you two marrying. He thinks love is weak and he thinks you are weak.”

Minho gritted his teeth “hyung is not weak. My father trained him personally! And the king has taught him everything else. Now he is speaking ill of my father too? This is an insult to us all!”

“Neither is Taemin” Kibum added “the Queen has made Taemin powerful just like her.” They all nodded in agreement.

The three looked over at the couple for they had been silent. “You two are not weak men.” Jonghyun said. “Please don’t let this dampen your festive engagement party. The law is in your favor regardless of what happens. Maybe it’s nothing. Like I always say, He is a bastard jerk.” Jonghyun tired to help but his face looked worried.

The regal couple stood side by side now with dry eyes; while the others were talking the two Prince’s selflessly regained their regal composure: the insult to the King’s actions more important than their own hurt feelings. “Thank you for loving us so much.” Taemin nodded. They looked majestic but you could see the hurt in their eyes remaining. Jinki ordered “Tell your father and mine of all you’ve heard. Have extra guards around my father and the Queen. If we protect my father then Taemin and I will be safe.”

Minho bowed and was about to leave. Jinki smiled softly and said kindly. “In the morning Minho-ah. We want to celebrate with you with us. He would not try anything tonight. It would be too obvious.” Minho bowed again and relaxed next to Kibum and Jonghyun. Jinki and Taemin walked up to them and embraced the trio in a brotherly hug. There was a tender moment of silence until…

Taemin smiled “Thank you Jonghyun for the lovely music”  then sniffled “Play at our wedding?” He tired to lighten the mood.  Jonghyun chuckled with a tear threatening to fall “anything for you my Princes, my brothers.’” 

Minho then sniffed; mumbling softly “Don’t make me cry.” They all laughed and pulled out of the hug.  Jinki raised his brow “keke, you cried?”   Minho wiped his cheeks and grumbled cutely “No I didn’t” They all laughed again; Jonghyun smirked at the Chief. Minho sighed; he knew they were going to about it for ages.

“Thank you for informing us…but..”Taemin said then inhaled and quickly changed the subject on the exhale. “I’m marrying the prince! Let’s celebrate! My first order as a Prince is I command you three: No crying tonight and no frowning. Smile!”

The trio bowed respectful then couldn’t hold it in any longer; they laughed as they came up “Yes, your highness” Then tackled the young man like they use to, screaming “TAEMINAAHHHH!” And just like when he was younger he whined “Stop that!”

Jinki laughed hardily.  Soon thoughts of Lord Leeteuk vanished for another day as fun ensued and the party carried on all night in the Crown Prince’s chambers. They were safe for now…

While they were celebrating privately Leeteuk was sulking in his room talking to himself aloud as he paced back and forth. “There is nothing I can do about it? I can’t put them on trail for this? A prince? They made Taemin a PRINCE! How dare they!” Just then there was a soft knock on his door, he stopped pacing and snapped “Who is there?”

Heechul having an agenda, for raising Leeteuk’s status also would raise his... the man was an unhealthy mix of loyalty, corruption and greed and sought out information during the banquet for his lord and in turn himself as well.  The door slid open slowly as Heechul stepped inside. “My lord.” He closed the door and walked closer whispering “I have learned of someone that can help you get what you want.”

The elder arched a curious brow “Who?”

“His name is Shindong. He is a healer in his village...A physician.. He is a master of potions.”

Leeteuk his teeth “and so how does that help me?”

 “He has knowledge of poisons, your highness.” An evil smirk crept up upon their faces.

Leeteuk cooed evilly. “Heechul you are loyal.”

He bowed “Yes, sire, I just didn’t want you to do something that would get you caught and spoil your chances.”  He came up from his formal bow. “I have arranged a meeting for you with him. We must leave the palace in the morning and travel to the outskirts of the city; he resides just outside the city and the neighboring village.”

“Taemin’s village?”

Heechul smirked “yes.”

“Does he know of Taemin? Is he trust worthy?”

“I was chatting with the Queen’s physician during the banquet tonight. She is y, I was trying to have my way with her but that didn’t pan out.” He rolled his eyes and mumbled “women.”

Annoyed from the other straying off topic, with clenched teeth and fists the lord yelled “Heechul!”

“yes yes sorry. But before that I was acting like I cared about her station in life, her job, so I could bed her, and that was before she slapped me across the face for attempting to do so.. Anyways she talked about medicines and what not. She then mentioned about a fellow healer that she didn’t like. She had said he practiced dark magic and was once a thief. She said the rumor: is anyone that double crossed him he would curse them or poison them. He hasn’t changed his ways they say. He might have taken on the job of a healer but he is just as rotten as the day he was born. She feels it is all a mask he hides behind, you know disguised as a healer but he is crooked deep down still. So I thought this tidbit of information could be useful. If the king and queen find out we are plotting they will be watching us. They would never think of watching a so called healer. A 2nd rate physician outside the city. And I do not think he knows of Taemin. I am sure Taemin had a much better physician since he grew up in a wealthy household.”  

“You say you arranged a meeting?”

“Yes, tonight I left the palace gates and found a poor soul to deliver my message to Shindong. I gave the peasant a coin if he would hand him my letter. They’ll do anything for money and he can’t read so he won’t know what the letter says; only the one the letter was intended for, Shindong. The letter said to expect a visit from advisor Kim Heechul and his lord.”

“This is excellent news! Be ready to leave after breakfast. We wouldn’t want to look rude leaving now during the festive weekend. Would we?” They chuckled devilishly.

…..

After Heechul left his chambers for the night the lord laid down on the bed that was raised just a little off the floor. Resting his head on the long round log shaped pillow, he closed his eyes and let a smile grace his wicked face….. Leeteuk’s own desires to be king since he was young made him dislike Jinki more and more as the years passed on ever since the prince was born.  He dreamed about being king since he was a child. Thinking he’d never get to sit upon the seat of power unless he took action, but how and when and could he mentally and legally actually go through with it? As he got older he knew the only way would be by force: illegally. He was envious and loathed him, Jinki’s behaviors towards others and the respect The Prince received; thinking Jinki highly unworthy of title as King. …He didn’t care his cousin was a homoual but it was the perfect excuse he needed to justify his crimes he was about to commit let alone all the greedy covetous thoughts he has harbored towards the throne for over 20 years. The throne he wanted desperately since he was a child would be his soon, after years of dreaming of taking it from the Crown Prince; it was finally within his reach…With wonderful thoughts swimming around his head of poisoning his 2nd cousin he fell happily sound asleep.

 

 

 

 

 


To see and hear the beautiful sounds of Jonghyun's kayagum press play ;)  

This is from A Frozen Flower..it's a good movie ... missdubu sent me the link to the movie many months ago when I 1st started writing this fic so I could get inspired and help me stay in my ancient Korea feelzz. So one night on kakao we ended up watching it together and she is a hardcore MVP but she also has a huge soft spot for Jonghyun so as a cute little surprise I made her puppyboy play this instrument ;)  

also idk if anyone noticed but Jonghyun's hanbok was inspired by his t-shirt