Threat

The Crown Prince

 

……………Chapter 12……………

“Morning Mother, Father.” Jinki grinned happily as he bowed and greeted them for a private breakfast.

“Did you take him to the gardens?” his father smiled.

Grinning Jinki nodded “Yes, Father.”

His father sighed happily. “Ahh, I remember giving your mother her flower.” The king glanced to his wife and said “I thought my heart would burst.” making The Queen blush cutely.

Jinki chuckled and added “I thought mine would too!”

“Son, aren’t they just gorgeous once they wear our flower?”

“Oh, yes father. Most certainly. Taemin was like a painting, or an angel. So handsome. It was perfect.” Jinki sighed and his eyes twinkled of a man in love.

The Queen lovingly glanced between her family..both men dreamy eyed; she giggled “Oh you two.”

The king gently touched his wife’s hand and kissed the back of it. “You are still as beautiful as the first day I met you and still as breathtaking as the day you accepted the flower I gave you my dear.” The queen blushed and giggle whispered. “Not in front of Jinkiyah.”

Jinki chimed in “Taemin and I are going to still love each other just as much as you two still love one another when we are your age.”

“I think you will too.” The king patted his shoulder. “I have no doubt about that.”

The Queen chimed in “Well, the both of you better eat. We must get ready quickly before young Master Taemin’s parents arrive.”

………..

The Lee’s were greeted instantly by the Queen’s maiden, after a formal bow she spoke “The King and Queen request a private conference with you.  This way, follow me.” The female turned around and walked away..

The governor and his wife shot each other a questionable look before following. They were not lead to the throne hall, or the executive offices… they past the royal library as they made their way through the expanse of the huge stone yards. They rounded the corner of the Queen’s quarters to the back of the building and through a brick arch way in a tall wall surrounding the back of the palace..“This is the Queen’s Garden” She said as she led them up a wooden path covered in yellow forsythias along the railings ….leading higher and higher through The royal family’s private garden’s hill side…

The female stopped and turned around to face them; she stretched out her arm motioning up the steps behind her.. “At the next landing, you will find a gazebo. There you will meet with the King and his family and young Master Taemin.” She bowed then stood upright and walked away to give the 6 of them privacy: taking her post to guard the path.

“Thank you” They bowed and made their way up the stairs. The gazebo slowly coming into view…Prince Jinki was sitting between his parents with Taemin sitting across from them on the other side wearing a yellow hibiscus flower behind his ear. Taemin’s parents bowed formally to the three regal’s then sat on either side of their son. Waiting to find out what was taking place.

The King smiled kindly “We would like to congratulate you once more on Taemin’s coming of age yesterday. It was flawless.”

“Thank you” They said together.

“As you know our children have been courting for 4 years. We thank you for accepting the Crown Prince’s wishes to meet with Taemin over the years “

“It’s been a great four years. We thank you for allowing them to court and taking Taemin under your wings as well. Taemin has matured so much being in royal favor and learned so much from the smartest scholars in the land thanks to the Crown and made great connections with important people. We are so very grateful.” ….Then briefly both sets of parents got sidetracked and talked about the last few years completely ignoring the children. Taemin made a playful face at Jinki making him snicker.  They had been friends of the Royal Lee’s before Taemin was even born and of course haven gotten extremely close due to the prince’s attachment to their son….But eventually they got back on topic when Taemin’s father asked “Why are we meeting in such seclusion? So privately. I take it this is royal’s only. Am I mistaken?”

“You are correct. It’s our private garden, it’s off limits but this is a special occasion.”

“Special occasion?” Mrs. Lee asked

“The future King has decided on his future spouse.” 

Taemin’s parents smiled; they looked at their son then to the prince. Jinki stood up then knelt down on the ground, bowed to the magistrate and his wife. When he sat up on his heels he asked “I wish to marry your son.”

“Permission granted your highness!” The magistrate said happily and Taemin’s mother couldn’t hold in her excited giggle quietly under her breath “It’s about time.” but they all heard her; making the prince and his fiancé blush.

The Queen exclaimed joyfully “Then it is settled! Our families will join as one!”

Taemin’s father scrunched up his brows in confusion “Pardon me, Jeonha (majesty) But how will my son be able to…”He stopped and bowed to his son and the prince “I do not mean to embarrass our children or the crown by this topic but...How will my son add to your family bloodline? He is not female?”

Uncomfortableness on the topic of and feeling judged about his gender crept up Taemin’s spine for the 1st time in years; Taemin’s hands became sweaty but his face remained just as stoic as his regal boyfriend’s and remained quiet as their parents conversed. “We have figured it all out Magistrate Lee. We have made laws over the years to make this wedded union work to our son’s advantage. Once they are married they may adopt a legal heir. Other Kings have not been able to because they were not the same gender. But for my son he may adopt and no one can dispute it. The law has been in the books for years now before they even started courting officially. As soon as we found out about our sons interests we fixed things in our favor. It is all legal.”

The Queen stood up and took Taemin’s parents by surprise showing such a personal and informal side of herself to them for the first time; she hugged them both. Jinki smiled awkwardly “Mother loves skinship.” He mumbled to Taemin.

Taemin coyly smiled at the prince happily and murmured while their parents began to talk.. “so you get that from your mother?”

It ended up being a joyous afternoon…The two families planned out together when to declare the royal engagement…. 

 ………………..

There was a royal announcement within the week! Master Taemin and Prince Jinki glanced to each other with warm smiles from all the loud cheers erupting from all residing in the Royal SHINee Court.   Everyone toasted to their parents and the soon to be wedded couple on their engagement, which would transpire in 2 months' time. The King stood up with arms open wide and exclaimed jubilantly “Please enjoy this feast, this banquet, to mark the joyous occasion!”

With a scowl upon his face, Lord Leeteuk however sat still as all around him boisterously cheered happily as food was suddenly brought out for all. “I was summoned to court for this?” His thoughts from when they first started courting resurfaced full force. Coveting the throne more than ever before, he couldn’t sit by and let the King and Queen allow a travesty of such ersion. They were making a mockery of the kingdom and he would put a stop to it one way or another…The SHINee World would be his….but how?

The Prince patted his fiancé’s hand before they took a bite of their meal. Bringing his drink to his lips, Leeteuk stared at the prince with immense distain, contempt in his eyes, knitting his brows together losing his appetite instantly as he eyed the couple over the brim of his cup; ideas brewing up on how to solve this situation into his own favor.

……

After the festivities Lord Leeteuk went to his room accompanied by his advisor Kim Heechul. After shutting the door he began to furiously whisper shout between his clenched teeth “How is this possible? How are they going to have an heir? Being a king is more than marrying a pretty spouse. What is the damn point if your only job as a woman is to bare a son for your King, he can’t fulfill his only duty he will have when he is Queen, he is not a woman in the first place, uurgghh. This is insane! Has the whole kingdom lost their damned minds!?” Irritated and livid, he flung his hands into the air as he ranted.

“Love.”

His lip curling up Leeteuk sneered “What did you just say to me?”

“I said love, my lord. Prince Jinki loves Master Taemin.”

“Need I remind you for the umpteenth time? Taemin is a man? Are you saying you do not wish to see Me return my family to the throne? You rather see this disgrace because of something so weak as love?” 

“No, of course not my lord but..”

Leeteuk crowded into him, raising a threatening eyebrow. “But what?”

“As your advisor, I must advise you to tread carefully. Like I said years ago, There is nothing you..we can do about it. The whole kingdom is supportive of the union.”

Leeteuk closed his eyes and inhaled deeply trying to calm down to concentrate through his hatred. “Yes, yes you are right. And so we must change the course of things. We must do this logically. We knew this day would come. We haven’t been brained washed like the rest of the subjects.   We must point out the law to them; if they try to change it we must prevent it from happening. I must go to the Royal library and find out what I can about the topic of heirs and read the laws.”

“Lord, I have checked for you already:  If they were to dethrone the prince. You are not next in line. The Crown Prince has a 1st cousin, Prince Lee Joon. What would you do about that?”

“Prince Lee Joon? He has decided he would rather live his life in the countryside; he has no desires to rule. I use to know him well.  He is way too much like Jinki.” He rolled his eyes.

Prince Jinki.” He corrected him.

“I said it correctly. Jinki. He won’t be a Crown Prince or a Prince at all for that matter when I am done with him. If he really wanted to be king he would have chosen a wife.”

“Yes, Lord.”

……..

Leeteuk entered the library but to his surprise he wasn’t alone, Kim Kibum was there studying… The younger heard him come in; he looked up “Hello, Lord Leeteuk.” He bowed respectfully.

“Hello, Kibum-nim.”

“Is there anything I can help you with? Prince Jinki didn’t tell me you would be visiting these parts of the palace.”

Leeteuk knew he was his advisor but how close were they? Did he approve of this debacle? He slowly proceeded with caution. “I’m just looking for something to read while I visit their highnesses.”

“Ahh, well, we have plenty for you to choose from but mostly historical, political documents and important paperwork. If you are looking for relaxing books to entertain yourself on your visit here you may try alongside the back left wall. The Prince and Master Taemin enjoy poetry for relaxation. We have a special section in the rear filled with the Prince’s favorites as well; I made the collection of poems myself for his highness.”

“Speaking of him how do you feel about the upcoming wedding?”

“Ecstatic. It’s about time if you ask me.” He smiled “It will be a glorious day! The heavens will sing! I personally made a journey to Master Taemin’s village to deliver the news to the grandmothers I met. They were very happy. I wanted to be the first person to tell them. I think one of the ladies cried.” Kibum smiled cutely with a little chuckle.

“And they…are accepting of this?”

“Well of course. They’ve known Master Taemin his entire life and loved seeing the prince and he court.”

“You made a long journey just for old ladies?”

Kibum nodded “yeah?”

“Kibum-nim. People like you and I are above this though.”

Kibum’s smile faded instantly. “Above what?”

“You aren’t a servant, an errand boy, but a young official; you do not need to deliver messages of Jinki’s.”

Kibum noticed he did not refer to him as prince...thus he also proceed carefully to see what he could get out of him as well by not mentioning the loss of title..“I wanted to.  I was being polite; I kept my promise to them. I’m confused. Why does it bother you? Are you upset I support the Prince, or that...how you say, did a servants job?”

Lying, He stated flatly “I support him” as he began looking around; Kibum watched him like a hawk. “I…well you know me; I strongly believe in separation of the classes.”

“I never said the ladies were of a lower class than I.”

“Just because the kingdom is currently doing things unorthodox doesn’t mean we throw away all our traditions Kibum-nim.”

“We aren’t.” Kibum walked closer narrowing his brows mirroring the other’s expression: there was a moment of a stare off until the elder asked…Leeteuk tilted his head, eyeing him up and down, attempting to intimidate “It’s your job to advise my cousin isn’t it?”

Unafraid the loyal Kim answered proudly “Yes.”

“You thought it was ok?”

“You don’t? The prince can be with anyone he wants. Lord Leeteuk. The King has no problem with it.”

“That was fine and dandy for when he was just having with him..”

“Let me stop you right there. They never did, how dare you talk about his highness and Master Taemin that way. They are pure as snow.”

The Lord snorted as he spat “And how do you know?”

Kibum balled his fists, trying with all his might not to punch the lesser royal in the face. “I know our angel prince would never be impure before marriage. You are treading on dangerous ground Lord Leeteuk.”

Leeteuk stepped closer; they increased their intense stare at one another; the elder spat “So is your prince!  How about an heir, hmm? You are just going to stand by and watch our kingdom crumble all because of Taemin; without warning your angel prince? You advise him to throw away his bloodline just so he can bed with another man?”

Kibum inhaled sharply and gritted his teeth, his nails digging into his palms “I advise him to follow his angelic heart just like the King advised him. And I advise you to leave if you disagree with The King!

The elder sneered “Do your job Kibum.” Leeteuk’s robes loudly swooshed dramatically as he quickly turned around on the balls of his feet; storming towards the doors..But he stopped as he reached it, and without looking at the fuming man behind him he threatened “Advise him wisely or else.” He swung open the doors before slamming them shut as he left.

…….

Kibum rushed quickly to find the prince. He couldn’t find him in his chambers; he wasn’t in the royal offices or the study. He nibbled his lip as he tried to think of where he cloud be. He saw Chief Choi doing his rounds. “Minho! Minho!” Kibum raced across the stone yard and over a little bridge lined with flowers over a little pond. Minho ran and met him half way. “What is it Kibum-nim? Is everything alight?”

“We must find hyung-nim quickly!”

“Why?”

“It’s his cousin. He is up to something. He threatened me to advise them not to marry or else.”

Gripping his sword tightly Minho growled. “He did what?”

Kibum nodded out of breathe.

Minho quickly said “Then let’s hurry, he is this way. He went to the pagoda to read with Master Taemin.”

They reached the fancy courtyard but they were not there. “Where are they?”

“Maybe they are with Jonghyun hyung?” Kibum suggested

“He has to stop running off.” Minho said frustrated.

“Maybe he took Taemin to the Queen’s garden?”

“What? It’s for royals only; we can’t go in there. Taemin can’t go in there either until he is Queen.”

“He is the future Queen he has her permission now. They always sneak off there even before he had her permission. Hyung’s noona servant told me. She told me she makes sure no one finds them there. People tell me everything, remember?”

“But, we can’t go unless hyung-nim or his mother invites us.”

“Minho! This is important we have to forget rules at the moment.”

The solider nodded firmly “Let’s find his maiden then.”

“She guards the arch way to the gardens without them knowing. If they are there she will be keeping watch.”

They ran to the back of the palace grounds behind the Queen’s quarters, following a small path until they came to the hidden entrance and there was the prince’s lady. She bowed “Hello Advisor-nim, Chief Choi”

“We must go in. We have an urgent message for his highness.” Minho informed.

“I can relay the message.” she smiled kindly.

Minho explained “Sorry it’s for his ears only.”

“We will be respectful of the gardens we promise; I understand the importance to the royal family. I know were the seeds come from. Please we beg you. We must enter.”Kibum added. 

“If you love the prince and master Taemin you will let us in.” Minho said anxiously..They spoke franticly almost on top of one another.

She raised her hand to stop them from speaking “I will guide you. Stay on the path, these are sacred plants and flowers beyond this entrance, their sisters lay beyond the city walls in the Emerald Felids of Prince Jinki’s heavenly ancestors.”

They bowed to her “We will”

They followed her up the wooden path, up the hill...they felt like they were walking in heaven, never before seeing such breathtaking beauty as they scanned the landscape. Red and purple flowers and many other brilliantly bright colors beautifully littering the hillside as they headed north…but soon Minho saw them below in the massive patch of yellow flowers across the garden sitting on the ground in the shade of a massively tall tree. “Hyung-nim!” Minho called out.

 The prince as usual had been resting his regal head on Taemin’s lap as the younger read poetry to him. The pair was startled; embarrassed they saw their affection Taemin removed his fingers from Jinki’s bangs; shocked and annoyed Jinki sat up instantly “Minho-ah! Kibum! What are you doing in the Queen’s private garden!?”

“Sorry Prince Jinki but we have urgent news about your cousin.” They bowed respectfully.

Taemin and the prince looked at one another then back up to the wooden walk. “What is it?” Taemin asked.

“Please come up here.” Kibum shouted down to them.

“Coming!” Taemin said as he stood. “What did he do now?”Taemin mumbled as helped the prince stand up. “I don’t know.”Jinki mumbled back as Taemin dusted the Crown Prince off before walking up the hill side.

They joined them on the wooden path. “Let’s go to my chambers to talk.”

Kibum shook his head. “No Prince. No one will find us here so we must stay. Noona, go back down and guard the archway please we must talk in private..” She bowed; following his orders. The four remained silent until she left. 

“What is this all about? You know you are not supposed to be back here so it must be rather important.”

“I’m sorry hyung, but Leeteuk threatened me or more like you and Master Taemin.”

“He did what now?” Jinki narrowed his brows. “What did he say?”

“He said to advise you not to marry Master Taemin or else.”

Taemin crossed his arms. “Or else what?”

“I don’t know. It sounded like..well not good your highness.”

“Tell me everything.” Jinki said walking up the path to take them to the gazebo so they may sit.

Kibum informed him of his conversation. Knitting his brows together Taemin said “Sounds like treason; one cannot threaten the Crown Prince. We must do something.”

Minho stood up “I agree with Taemin, hyung.”

“We cannot take action unless we have proof.” Kibum stated.

Jinki nodded “This is true. We must wait it out to see what he does.”

“Hyung-nim we have proof! He threatened Kibum-nim! What more do we need? Let me cut his head off; according to law I must do it for you.” Minho argued.

“All we have is Kibum’s words against his.” Jinki reminded him. “I believe you of course but you’d have to make the Court believe you, it’s a strong accusation to accuse Royalty of treason.”

Minho inhaled and sat down. “Fine, but I will watch him, stalk him..” He curled his lip up angrily and hissed “and any wrong move that head is coming off.”

“Minho hyung,” Taemin sighed “I appreciate the offer to arrest and kill his cousin but there is nothing he can do about us. The law also states we can legally wed, and have a legal heir. What can he do to me or hyung? The queen has promised me since I was young; I have the power of the Crown and heaven behind me. He may be royalty but Leeteuk is not The Crown, Jinki’s parents are.”

“Hyung-nim you are quiet, what are you thinking?” Kibum asked of the prince.

He looked at Kibum “He knows you will tell me what he said.” Jinki then looked at his guard “He won’t be the one you need to watch Minho. You must find his henchmen. Leeteuk is corrupt so I am sure he has thugs to do his dirty work. If he is planning something, you need to keep an eye on his men. And he will be watching you both as well. You both must be careful.”

“We must tell Jonghyun hyung” Taemin added “He knows Minho is loyal to us, and now he knows Kibum is since he tested him already..Next he will test Jonghyun’s loyalty. Kibum you must prepare him. And ask him to see if he over hears anything while we dine this evening.”

Minho and Kibum bowed to the elegant couple. “Yes your highness”

“What was he doing in the library? Did he know you’d be in there?” Jinki asked “Did he take anything or read anything?”

“No.”

“Then he is looking for something.”

“What?” The chief and advisor asked in unison.

“Go back and find out Kibum. He might have waited until you left.” The prince said as he tried to think.

“Yes, right away.” he bowed and started walking out of the gazebo.

“Oh and Kibum. Tell my maiden noona to talk to Jonghyun. She is loyal; I trust her. She thinks I don’t know she has been watching out for Taemin and I all these years. She can inform him while you go search for what might be missing in the library.”

Minho stood up and bowed ready to take orders “What should I do hyung-nim?”

“Stay with us. Do not let us out of your sight.”

Minho came up from his formal bow. “Yes Prince.” 

 

 

 


Like the fic? Don't forget to comment <3 <3

 

 

 


 HAPPY BIRTHDAY ONTOKKI92!!!!  I love you! *hugs*