Laughter and Rhyme

Infinite Power

Dongwoo laughed and laughed as he read the poem he found in a tattered notebook near his makeshift kitchen. "Your eyes are like dew upon petals, they shimmer with cool delight" he read out loud. " This is so sweet! I wonder who owns those eyes!". A loud grunt caused him to turn around while a lightning quick fist grabbed the book and another landed a punch into Dongwoo's stomach.

"Ooowwww! Ooof!, hey, I wasn't laughing at you! I was just tickled that you actually write poetry! And I only read a couple of lines!"

"Yeah, well, count yourself lucky that I didn't use any of my strength." Hoya growled and walked off with the book. "And one squeak out of you on this subject, I'm taking your ribs in the next punch!"

Dongwoo grinned. He knew Hoya was not that angry but mostly embarassed. After traveling with him for 3 months, he had a good understanding of Hoya's character. Hoya was a stand up guy, but quiet and a little awkward. He was always practising his martial arts but he would steal away sometimes for a couple of hours. Now that Dongwoo had found his book with the surprising poem inside, Dongwoo figured that was when he wrote his poetry.

They had met on the old roads leading up to the mountains, leaving the capital for the same reason which was to get away from the Empire's soldiers. Dongwoo was captain of the capital police while Hoya was a naval sailor on his first break home. They each had gotten into separate fights with the enemy and managed to escape out of the capital by the skin of their teeth.

Dongwoo started, there was a noise coming from behind them. He saw Hoya poised behind a tree with an index finger pointed up. "Hmm, one person. Doesn't matter. Desperate times mean desperate folks. Time to bring my babies out." Dongwoo slid out his prized possessions from their back holsters, two unlimited firing silver handguns and hid by his tent. Soon enough, a man with a backpack came into view  and stood in the shade of a tree. He had his hands up and spoke.

"I'm just a wanderer looking for some help. No harm to anyone".

Wanderer huh, he didn't look like one. He was obviously well built and he carried himself with authority and purpose. Enemy? wondered Dongwoo. Hoya was still waiting hidden behind the tree about 15 yards away from the man.

Dongwoo stepped out with his guns hidden. "I'm afraid I can't help you. I'm barely scraping along myself" he said to the man. "So why don't you go down further. Maybe you can find more help there." The man looked at him intently and then spoke. "Okay. Well for sure your memory's gone if you can't recognize your senior from the cadet camps, eh Dongwoo?" Dongwoo gasped and looked at the man closely. Small eyes, sharp nose, that authority, that voice! What a fool he was. "G..general Sunggyu?? What? How? The enemy said you were killed in Kabis!"

Now seated around the remains of their campsite fire, Dongwoo and Hoya listened to Sunggyu. General Sunggyu's reputation was well known to both men. "This has to end." said Sunggyu. "I'm going to fight to get Woollim's freedom back. The Empire seems unbeatable I know, but they win because of the sheer size of their military. Their soldiers are forced to join the army and just follow the Emperor and his advisors. Once we cut off the head, their military will fall apart. I already have a plan and I need the right people to join me. Will you come with me to save Woollim?"  Hoya and Dongwoo looked at each other and turned to Sunggyu.

"When do we start?" said Dongwoo with a grin.