Seven On The Road, Six Are Gifts, One Is Not Yet Known

Infinite Power

An old colourful looking caravan was merrily making its way down the road to the capital. At the side of the caravan, were the hastily painted words "Howon Family Magic and Songs". Seated in front of the caravan and driving the horses in turns were Hoya and Woohyun. Hoya's hair was streaked with grey and he had a dark beard spotted with grey. Woohyun had a dapper hat on and a bright coat.

Inside the caravan, Sunggyu was feeling hot and sweaty despite the cool autumn air. The reason being was the thick white beard and mustache that covered half his face. Adding to that was the large hat that hung low over his forehead and the thick coat. Only thirty miles to go, thought Sunggyu. Beside him was Dongwoo with a wig piled with dark brown and grey curls and knotted into a bun. He had a heavy dress on and thanks to thick rolls of cloth (in which his guns were hidden), a very well endowed chest. 

Opposite them, was the Tenshi, back in the dress he had worn at the gentleman's club looking as beautiful as ever. Sungyeol declared it a 100% success which was proven right when the Tenshi got them through a couple of guardposts. What happened at each of those guardposts were almost mirror images. There would be a guard asking too many questions. Sungjong would step out of the caravan and give a sweet smile to the guard. The guard's mouth would drop open and he would wave them on their way.

Myungsoo was sitting on the right side of Sungjong. His thick hair was all combed out and looked frizzy and unruly. He was feeling a little jealous with how very friendly Sungyeol was with the Tenshi. After their bonding moment at the merchant town, Myungsoo's hidden nature of possesiveness was starting to surface. The Tenshi was HIS friend. Sungyeol with a thick brown mustache and black top hat was seated on the left side of Sungjong and was unaware of the brooding Myungsoo. He was making all sorts of suggestions to Sungjong on how to distract soldiers that were being too difficult. How to stick out his hips just so, how to bat his eyelashes or maybe blow a kiss. All these suggestions just to get some attention from the angel. Unrealized by the two young men was that Sungjong was completely ignoring both of them. Though his eyes were open, his mind was far away in Tenshi dream worlds.

Soon they were within twenty miles of the capital. They had reached yet another guard post but this guard post was more of a small garrison. There were about ten soldiers standing at guard. Woohyun looked at Hoya, he could sense this one was not going to be so easy. Hoya nodded and knocked the caravan wall behind him three times. This meant to the others to be on high alert.

"State your business, the number of your party and what you may be carrying." the chief asked sternly.

"We are a family of seven, we're entertainers, sir. We come seeking for more business in the capital." answered Hoya meekly with his head bowed.

"Entertainers, huh? Get everyone off the caravan. Let's see your seven."  He then turned aside and picked two lower ranked soldiers. "You two, go search the caravan."

Soon they were lined up in front of the caravan. From right to left stood Hoya, Woohyun, Sungyeol, Sunggyu, Myungsoo, Dongwoo and finally Sungjong.

"So what are you wating for? Show us some entertainment!" barked the chief. Woohyun started to sing a bawdy song popular in pubs. With his strong velvety voice, the simple song became something of a different quality. The soldiers stopped what they were doing and were lost in the song. After Woohyun finished, there was a slow clap and the chief nodded in satisfaction. Sunggyu felt relieved, they were going to get through this. But his relief did not last long.

"Well, that's just one of you. What about the rest?"

"The performers are my children and my younger brother, Sir." answered Hoya. "See, my brother does magic tricks."

Sungyeol stepped forward and announced loudly, "Hey hey hey, see nothing's in my hands! I'm going to make magic appear right out of thin air!" He quickly threw some dust onto the ground. There was a flash of light and suddenly a metallic stool appeared in front of the soldiers. During the flash of light, Sungyeol had thrown his foldable stool cube near the same spot. The soldiers were mesmerized.

"Alright...fine, you may go." said the chief as he glanced around the group once more. Suddenly his eyes stopped in front of Sungjong. "Wait a moment here. So what does this pretty do? Dance?"

Sungjong smiled at the chief as he had done at the other guard posts. This time, the reaction was different. The chief did not gawp but leered at Sungjong.

"Men, we are in luck! This beauty is going to dance for us!" he hollered to the other soldiers. "Now it wouldn't do to have you dance in the middle of this dusty road, would it? It will be much better in the guardhouse!"

He held out his arm to Sungjong who took it and walked away with him. Sunggyu and the team's feelings were in a horrible state now. They knew the chief meant only one thing. Before Sungjong entered the guardhouse, he turned around and gave a quick look at Sunggyu. Don't worry, he seemed to say. Then the door shut with a heavy sound on him, the chief and six other soldiers that had joined them. There was a click of a key locking the door. About two minutes later, multiple screams rang out from the guardhouse. The three soldiers left to guard the team ran to the guard house and banged on the door. The door swung open, a pale arm shot out and pulled the three soldiers in one after the other in seconds. Soon, three more screams and then silence. The door opened again and Sungjong walked out and went to the team. His face held no expression, it was like stone.

"Their ending has nothing to do with the mission. Heaven's judgement is passed for this is not the first time they have done what they planned to do to me. Many innocents have met their death here." he said in a soft voice. He then left the team and climbed into the caravan. The team was stunned, it was scary to see a merciless angel. Sunggyu came to his senses first . They were in big trouble now, the deaths of a guard post this size would send a red flag for sure. He had to come up with something fast, but what?

Then Woohyun came up with an idea. "Sunggyu, you mentioned yourself that Empire soldiers are not doing this out of love for the Emperor. They'd rather be back in their homes. So let's make it like they abandoned their post."

Sunggyu thought a bit and agreed with Woohyun. He gave orders which the men set about to do as fast as they could. The ten bodies in the guard house were taken out and buried in the woods away from the road. The burial spots covered with leaves, branches and weeds. The only signs of struggle in the guard house were chairs on the floor which the men put to right at the table. Three hours later they were done and back on the road. Nothing was said further about what had happened.

 

Meanwhile, later in the day in another place, in very different surroundings.

"You may begin, captain."

"Your lordship, another case of soldiers abandoning their duty has been reported. The guard post twenty miles from the capital with ten men on duty. This makes it the third one. However the strange thing is that the guardpost allowance was still in the safe."

"Hmm..." The owner of the voice rubbed the ruby ring on his left index finger. "Could it be our rat showing his nose at last? Thank you captain. You may go."

"Your lordship, you suspect it to be the ones you were waiting for? What if they attack Woollim's palace? They might free the royal family." asked the captain.

"Do not question my orders, captain. With the current state of their Queen, they would not dare do anything that would cause harm. What is important is to find out the mastermind behind this group. Even if we remove them, the mastermind might send others. Remember, I am the only one who will deal with them. You are not to interfere with their actions. "

"Yes, your lordship."

"By the way, how is our special guest in the underground cell?"

"After your personal interview, your lordship, he has refused to eat or drink. He will not last long."

"Ah well, he has already given me enough. We have to be fair now, so let him have what he wants and since he wants to starve, we should allow him to. That will be all, captain. Dismissed."

The captain saluted smartly then turned and left in a brisk walk.

The owner of the voice yawned and nestled further into his comfortable fur lined arm chair. "Six presents to do the dirty work. Indeed, it must be destiny." he murmured. Soon, he was lost in peaceful slumber with a smile on his face.