Family

Infinite Power

The eve of the journey to the Empire had arrived. The team were making ready to go into the royal palace for the next stage of the plan. Weapons were cleaned or sharpened and checked and double checked. Sunggyu gave his machine gun wrapped in its usual blanket roll to Sungjong. The Tenshi while carrying Sunggyu's large machine gun and Myungsoo's sword would be following them from the air. Finally they were ready and when the day turned into night, the team of six made their way to the royal palace taking the same route as Woohyun had done earlier.

Very soon they were in the marble floored corridors getting closer to the Viceroy's rooms. Woohyun was in front of the team, followed by Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Myungsoo, Sungyeol and Hoya in the rear. Sunggyu's face was stern and calm but underneath he was a rolling sea of emotions.

He did not expect to be affected this much returning to his old home, the place he was born and raised.

Each corridor, each room or hall they passed, the paintings hanging on the walls, the small signs of cracks here and there, brought his memories back in living color. There this large grandfather clock, that's where he hid from his sister when at four years old, he had put dabs of different water color paint on her favorite cat. She had come hunting for him with a ball of thick gooey mud in her tiny hands.This suit of armor, the one he pretended was his enemy when he played warriors as a boy. The large bathroom where he was forced to take hot baths by the nannies. The small pantry where he would sneak in with his father to eat forbidden sweet cakes and pastries before dinner only to be found out by his mother. And she would give both of them a good scolding but her eyes would be twinkling.

His father and mother...they were both long gone now. He was sixteen and his sister, eighteen years old at the time of their parents passing. Refusing to become the next King of Woollim, Sunggyu had moved away from the life of pampered royalty and given his all to a military career while his sister boldly stepped forward to become Queen. He knew his sister would take to leading the country better than him. He had another reason for turning down the throne. Sunggyu was afraid he would not be able to live up to his father's memory. Little did they know that eight years later,  the decisions both of them made or did not make would turn out like this.

When they reached the grand doors of the Viceroy's rooms, again with no guards in sight, Woohyun put his ear to the keyhole. Not a sound. He must be in his bedroom thought Woohyun. He opened the door slowly and slipped inside. He motioned the rest to follow and closed the door softly once they had done so. The main room or lounge was bright with light from candles and fire burning in a large ornate fireplace. While the others looked at the many objects around them, Woohyun and Sunggyu went to the second pair of double doors which led to the bedroom. Woohyun turned the doorknob and quickly opened the door. He moved silently to the large bed and signalled No to Sunggyu. The Viceroy was not there. There may be only one other place he would be in this late at night, thought Sunggyu, the Queen's rooms. The team had already discussed to lay hidden in the Viceroy's rooms and wait for him if he had gone somewhere else. But Sunggyu with his emotions in turmoil had a strong desire to see his sister after a year apart. He told the team the change in plans, he would go to the Queen's rooms while the rest of them hid here. Dongwoo and Woohyun had misgivings.

"Sunggyu, it is just too risky to go there now. There might be guards there. We should all wait here." said Dongwoo.

"I have to see her for myself. It's been too long. I NEED to know that she's okay. We know there are too few soldiers guarding inside the palace. I know this palace like the back of my hand, it'd be easy for me to hide. And I will bring the Viceroy out of my sister's room on pretense of joining forces with him. He'd be acting as the good King in front of her. He won't be able to refuse me." Sunggyu had a stubborn look on his face.

"Then take me with you. I'm disguised in my Empire officer uniform. It went well the last time. You know there is no way we can dispose of guards right at this moment." said Woohyun quickly before Sunggyu could protest. Dongwoo agreed with Woohyun. And so, a short while later, Sunggyu found himself in front of his sister's rooms with Woohyun by his side. Unsurprisingly now, there were no guards outside her rooms.

Woohyun knocked the door softly as before and spoke through the door.

"Your Majesty, a special gift has arrived for you. May I enter?"

And that voice that he'd been dreaming of came out from the room with a giggle.

"Is it something cute and brave with a rosie red face?"

She remembers my voice too and she did see me blush! Oh, that was so not smooth! thought Woohyun both happy and embarrassed.

"Well, what are you waiting for? Come in and show me!"

Woohyun opened the door and stepped inside. She was sitting in her armchair by the fireplace again. But this time she was in the softest looking white night gown with long sleeves ending with lace.  Her hair was loose with long black tresses falling in waves down her back. There were tiny white flowers dotted about her hair here and there. Her eyes sparkled with mischief as she smiled crookedly at him. Woohyun thought he had never seen a more beautiful sight than this seven month pregnant Queen of Woollim. He was drowning again and he knew it. He forced himself to focus.

"Your Majesty, it is just outside the door. Let me get it for you."

Woohyun opened the door wider with a grand flourish and in stepped Sunggyu. Silence filled the room with both siblings looking at each other. A pin could drop and it would have been the loudest sound there. Then suddenly, Sunggyu rushed to his now standing sister and wrapped her in the warmest hug. Tears mixed with soft laughter and more hugs followed. Woohyun felt his own tears coming, it was so clear how much the brother and sister meant to each other. It was pure joy. It showed children raised with love by wonderful parents. It was family.

Finally after long moments though only a minute had passed, the two siblings calmed down and holding each others' arms took a good look at each other.

"I can't believe it! You, once upon a time the tomboy princess who used to climb trees and run barefoot in muddy fields, are going to become a mother!"

"And you, look at you now! So much stronger then when I saw you last! Hmm..maybe you can finally beat me in a fight!"

The Queen giggled then gave a small squeak and rubbed her tummy.

"Are you okay? You better sit down. " said a worried Sunggyu.

"No, no silly. It's just the baby moving. Here, feel! " She took Sunggyu's hand and placed it on her tummy. The look of utter amazement crossed Sunggyu's face.

"Gyu dear, meet your nephew or niece! My son or daughter, meet your Uncle Gyu! He will love you and protect you forever I know!"

Sunggyu felt like he was on some magic cloud. This was real. A little someone, a new part of his family was coming into the world soon. He closed his gaping mouth and opened it again to speak. Then a pair of smaller doors leading to the bedroom opened.

"What's all this noise, darling? You know I have to leave very early tomorrow." said a sleepy voice with a yawn. He was in front of them at last.

"My love, see who is here! It's my baby brother!  Our Gyu has returned to us!"

The Viceroy, formerly King of Woollim, now its greatest traitor suddenly looked very wide awake though he had been rubbing his eyes just a second ago. A wide happy grin appeared on his face and he rushed to Sunggyu and gave him a big hug. Sunggyu stood still and let him. It was all Sunggyu could do to stop himself from killing him then and there.

"Sunggyu! Our Royal Prince Sunggyu, High Duke of Woollim, General of the West Army! Thank Tenshi! We are saved!!" said the Viceroy. Woohyun felt cold. There was no sincerity there. There was nothing. He hid his emotions too well.

"Young Min, good to see you again." Sunggyu put on a fake smile and shook his hand heartily. "Look, we don't have much time. We need to talk. Let's go somewhere else."

"Yes, yes, absolutely right." The Viceroy turned to the Queen. "My darling, you have to rest. It is so late now." He gave her a kiss on her cheek.

"Alright, fine. I know I can trust you both. This baby will be born in a free Woollim." she smiled at Sunggyu and Young Min. Woohyun held the door open and the two men walked out. Before he left, Woohyun gave the Queen a smart salute.

"Oh, come now you! Twice already you have brought me such wonderful gifts!" She threw her arms around his waist and hugged him. Woohyun felt the earth move. He hugged her back awkwardly and once she had left his arms, walked with shaky legs out of the door.