Pies, Cakes and Dreams

Infinite Power

Cool clear autumn days had come again. The team had moved with greater speed and soon they had reached the fifty mile point to the capital. The place they had come to was a large busy merchant town trading with goods from the outer regions to supply to the capital. The townsfolk were able to go about their business as usual because of the bribes they sent to the town's Empire appointed mayor.

Woohyun and Hoya had gone into the town to look for modest lodgings while the rest stayed behind at the outskirts. Soon, they found rooms for rent above a tea shop in a quieter street. The shop had few customers and were run by an old couple. Because there were seven of them, Woohyun spun a tale of out of job farmhands looking for work in the towns. The old couple believed him as the stories of farms going through bad times were common.  Woohyun charmed the old couple while he told his story and the couple ended up offering both of them tea and food on the house.

"Well, we deserve that much after the hard work!" said Woohyun as they sat down to a table filled with small pies and cakes with a hot pot of tea.

"Better eat up soon. The others will be waiting for us." Hoya said quietly.

"Relax, Hoya. They'll be busy training. At least you got a break from training Sungyeol! How's your arm? Is it better now after Sungyeol whacked it with that wooden staff?

"It's fine, he didn't hit hard. Anyway, I was careless and didn't watch him. He's making some progress."

Training Sungyeol for battle was exasperating yet at times both funny and rewarding to Hoya. He had made Sungyeol a stout wooden staff and was training him how to use to defend himself. Sungyeol did not have to master the staff, he had enough gadgets and weapons of his own. Hoya's real objective was to train Sungyeol to be calm and not lose his head in battle. Sungyeol had never been in a fight all his life. Without some training, Sungyeol would probably panic in a real fight and then all his toys would be useless.

"So what do you write in your book?" continued Woohyun as he started eating his second slice of pie. He was feeling contented and chirpy. The food was reviving him from the plain meat and fish they cooked over their camp fire.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Hoya had little time to leave the others and write his poems. So when he had watch duty during their daytime breaks, he would quickly scribble in his notebook. Trust Woohyun not to be asleep when he seemed to be!

"Come on now, Hoya, don't be shy. So what do you write? Long letters to girls you left at every port? Maybe romance novels? Or wait, maybe writing long rants about Sunggyu? No? Goodness, don't tell me you have a wife somewhere! Oh well if you don't answer, I'll bring my theories to Dongwoo!"  Woohyun had a clearly mischievous smile on his face now.

"Fine, I write poems! Satisfied? Now, would you please finish your food."

Woohyun was surprised. Hoya was a little difficult to understand. He had thought that Hoya was writing about martial arts since he spent almost every waking hour practising when not training Sungyeol or on their journey.

"Wow...I did not expect that. I think it's great. Hoya, poems are meant to be shared. Let me read one at least." Woohyun was sincere. He had a great appreciation for art being a singer himself.

Hoya was reluctant though tempted. He had dreams of reading his poems to the public but he was nervous that his poems would be laughed at.

"I was a singer before I decided to fight against the Empire. You heard me sing in the tavern. I love words and music. I won't laugh, I promise." pleaded Woohyun.

 "Alright, fine. Only one and if you laugh, I'll knock that smile off your face forever." Hoya pulled out his precious notebook from under his coat. He flicked through the pages and stopped at one in the middle. He pushed the notebook to Woohyun and pointed at a short poem. "You can read that."

Woohyun started to read softly.

I only wanted you to believe me

I did not mean to bring you sorrow

Why do we have to part just because I wanted to be free?

Why do I have to show my love by giving up my tomorrow?

Father, I want to  live my life...l want to live my dreams

Look at me Father, look, your baby son has grown

Sometimes I see your shape, your shadow but they were only trees

Father, say a prayer for me...I will return, after I have flown

Woohyun looked up. Hoya had a nervous look on his face. Then Woohyun started to sing the words in a melody he made up. Woohyun's beautiful voice filled the air. Hoya couldn't believe his ears. His own words in a song.

"Hoya, you have a gift. The poem is beautiful. I want to read more, you even inspired me to sing. Share them, don't be shy. You could help someone."

"Thank..thank you." Hoya was relieved and he felt he could say more. "I wanted to be a poet you see. But my father thought it was rubbish and said I needed to do a Man's job which meant for me, a life running and teaching in my father's dojo. He even said people would poke fun at me, a country boy who only knew life at a Dojo. My poems would be worthless."

Hoya looked down. "I was angry then too. That's when I said I would just have to leave to see the world and write great poems. And he would regret what he said when my poems were published. He was furious and kicked me out but I never forgot the look of disappointment on his face."

"The life of an artist is never easy. We need a lot of luck too." Woohyun said with understanding.

"Yeah, I got to know that when I tried to survive on my own. I had to join the navy or starve."

Woohyun grinned at him. "But living our dreams is something we have to do. And it's worth it no matter the pain. Alright, come on, you better eat up as much as you can too. We have to return to grumpy Sunggyu soon!"

Much later then expected but satisfied with very full stomachs, Woohyun and Hoya returned to the others. Sunggyu was waiting for them with an impatient look on his face.

"Well, it's about time you two showed up. You left three hours ago!"

"Finding modest lodgings is hard work, General!" piped Hoya.

"We had to come up with a great story to cover all seven of us!" continued Woohyun.

Sunggyu side eyed them. They looked too contented and a little slow.

"Go sit with the others. It's time."

Blank faces stared at him.

"Time for the details of the plan, you sloths! Now go sit!"