Before the Storm

Infinite Power

Woollim's beautiful countryside shone brightly and innocently around Sunggyu and his merry men as they journeyed to the Empire with the Viceroy. The world around was a strange contrast to the members of this fellowship made up of a band of men fiercely determined to save their country no matter the price and a cunning traitor who had more tricks up his sleeve than expected.

They were now on the last legs of their five day travel and would soon reach the border to the Empire. The group had settled down to a relaxed routine. During their frequent breaks, Sungyeol had even started experimenting with his inventions again.  One of his experiments actually ended up with him being assigned (or rather punished) to dish washing duty for four nights in a row. The experiment was a liquid that when applied to the eyes would make the user able to see in the dark and long distances for ten minutes. A handy tool for spying or getting away from enemies. The side effect was interesting, it could actually make the eyes look larger. Having been satisfied with the liquid's potential after several tests on his pet monkey in the past, Sungyeol was interested in trying it out on human test subjects. Sunggyu, who had all his life had been teased about his tiny eyes was keen (he was a little vain though he hid it well). Unfortunately, when Sungyeol had applied the liquid to Sunggyu's eyes, his hand had shook and ended up pouring more than intended. The result was that Sunggyu's eyes had swollen out like a bug's eyes and remained that way for better part of a day. Thus, dishwashing duties for a disappointed Sungyeol ("It was an ACCIDENT Sunggyu! I swear! Geez..") and the end of the liquid.

Hoya was back to writing pages of poetry. WIth Dongwoo's and Woohyun's encouragement, he had become confident enough to recite a few of them to the appreciating group after their evening meals. Hoya felt that his old dream of becoming a published poet would come true someday.  The steadfast and strong Hoya did not know that his talents were much much more than poetry alone. The only thing he was sure of was that he had to free Woollim first. 

Dongwoo would take walks to commune with nature and was very at home among the forest animals. He had grown surprisingly adept at mimicking animals especially the giant whooping Kinyan fruit bats. In his mind, a dream of his future started to form of a life wandering the wild lands being close to nature and free from human bonds. Little did  Dongwoo know at the time that his future would be very different and it would not be alone. But first things first, he knew his future was dependent on defeating the enemy.

Myungsoo was a little more secretive. While the others slept (and the person on watch ignoring his actions), he would steal away into the night to meet Sungjong. The Tenshi would descend to earth in his original form only under the darkness of night. In the daytime, apart from Sunggyu and the men, he would to the normal human eye be seen as a large white bird. During their night time meetings, Sungjong and Myungsoo would talk for hours (though Myungsoo did most of the talking) or maybe just sit in silence. Once or twice Sungjong took Myungsoo on brief flights making Myungsoo's dream to see the world even stronger. Even though he was glad that they were getting closer to the end of their mission, in a corner of his mind he felt sad because defeating the enemy meant that the Tenshi's time with them would end. Myungsoo would shake himself at these thoughts. "More important is the whole country! We have to get rid of the Empire first instead of daydreaming, Myungsoo! Who knows, he might stay." he would whisper to himself. The Angel smiled sadly when he sensed Myungsoo's feelings. He could read Myungsoo very well. "This will never come to pass, mortal. Angels do not belong in your mortal lives." Sungjong thought to himself.

Sunggyu would have close conversations with the Viceroy who was his brother in law about plans for Woollim's future. He would sit with the Viceroy in the Viceroy's tent after dinner every night for their discussions.  At times though, his inner voice would whisper to him, "Careful Sunggyu. Remember what he has done, This is not you."  Then an unsure look would pass across his face. The Viceroy was quick to spot this and would change his voice again and the inner voice in Sunggyu's mind would be swept under the Viceroy's lullaby. When Sunggyu was not talking to the Viceroy, he pondered his own future. He knew he would build an army again, it was going to be tough to start all over from nothing. Then he looked around. "My captains are already here, will they stay with me?"

The only person not relaxing was Woohyun. He was keeping an eye on the Viceroy and was worried at how Sunggyu was getting more and more under the Viceroy's influence. He would hover closely around Sunggyu and try as much as he could to join Sunggyu and the Viceroy's discussions. Woohyun was getting exasperated that there was nothing he could do to change Sunggyu's mind and even the rest of the team. There were a couple of times when he caught the Viceroy looking at him with a questioning look on his face. Woohyun had a feeling the Viceroy had suspicions that he was not under his sway. During those times, Woohyun would stay away from Sunggyu and become pally with the Viceroy until the Viceroy relaxed. When the frustration got too much for him, Woohyun would keep to himself and let his mind drift. He was soothed then because she would appear in his thoughts. She being the Queen of Woollim. A woman that Woohyun had unexpectedly fallen for. Woohyun knew he was well and truly head over heels. His future would have to be where he was close to her, some way or the other. He just had to defeat the Empire first.

As the team made their way closer to the Empire with strong hearts and determination, little did they know that what they were going to face would be beyond anything they had imagined. The happiest person throughout the journey was the Viceroy. He smiled to sleep every night. "Everything is falling into place. My future is my own making and they don't even know how much they are helping. Poor fellows! Really! Now Emperor Somaan, time to meet your end!"