White as Snow, Bright as the Sun

Infinite Power

Now a party of four, Sunggyu led the team further down the mountain range in the afternoon light. He had a hunch he had to make his way back to the capital. The team was still too small but promising. The past 4 days watching them practise when they stopped at sunset had given him a good idea on their capabilities. He thought over the current members, an experienced handgun specialist, junior naval sailor but a master martial artist and a barely tested multi weapons expert. Well taking on the Empire was going to be a longshot from the beginning even with the most experienced crew but these guys have the heart and courage, thought Sunggyu, I have to have full faith in myself, in them and trust all that is good will come to our aid.

He patted the pocket just beside his heart. Little Jungyeop was in his pocket. The others couldn't hide their grins when they saw the hamster or in Dongwoo's case, outright laughter. "THE General Sunggyu has a pet HAMSTER?!! HAHAHA!" Sunggyu had given him just one glance and Dongwoo had quickly lapsed to silence. The hamster was precious to him because his sister had given this as a gift before he left for his last assignment. "Gyu dear, you may be a General and all, but you're still my baby brother. And since you can't take large pets with you, here's a hamster. I named him after our uncle. Plus sometimes you resemble a hamster! Hehe" Sunggyu missed his sister's laugh. I will see you soon, sister, he promised in his heart.

They had now come to a worn mountain path used by mountain dwellers who had long abandoned the mountains for the valleys. Small shrines dotted the path here and there. Sunggyu saw a Tenshi shrine and thought it a sign. His sister used to pray to the Tenshi, winged angels that brought wealth and health to whoever prayed sincerely to them. He thought this to be nothing but old myths but many people still believed in them. I wonder when she last had a chance to visit a shrine, thought Sunggyu. He decided then and there he would say a prayer for his sister. He signaled the team to rest for a couple of minutes.

Sunggyu knelt awkwardly in front of the Tenshi shrine and placed a flower at its little doorway. "Um..Tenshi, I don't really know how to do this but my sister used to pray to you everyday in purest faith. She is in trouble now and if her prayers meant anything, please keep her safe and healthy. I will be coming to get her soon. Ok that's all then." He quickly got up and motioned the team to start walking again.

Suddenly a gentle voice spoke with a tinge of sarcasm, "Going so soon? You don't expect prayers to be answered with that miserable display do you? Luckily for you, her prayers worked so here I am."

The entire team turned around in perfect synchronization to gape at the being standing in front of them. It was tall and white but with the glow of summer sun with silky brown hair past the neck, beautiful eyes like dewy petals and large white wings moving slowly.

Myungsoo was the first to speak. "Wings. Real life wings! I've only seen them in mangas. Tenshi!!" He gasped, finding it hard to breath.

Hoya was dumbstruck. "Eyes like liquid petals. Are you real?" His voice just above a whisper.

"And this is the crew that is supposed to stand up to the Empire? No wonder you need my help and how!" said the Tenshi (what else could it have been?).

"Obviously you're the leader. The other one beside you just has a silly grin on his face" said the Tenshi to Sunggyu. "Well here are the terms, I can only help you when you are in great danger. I am allowed to use a crossbow to dispose enemies. I do have heavenly fire but only when there is NO OTHER CHOICE. And as you can see, I can fly. I can carry one person at a time when the need arises."

Sunggyu was speechless. Of all the things, this was the most unexpected. A freaking Angel! He had to reconsider his strategy to make efficient use of this godly power.

Finally Sunggyu stammered "Er thanks, Mr. Tenshi? I guess I'll call you Tenshi."

The Tenshi came closer to Sunggyu and said firmly "My name is Sungjong. And I don't take orders from humans. When you want something, ask."