Sometimes Crazy is the Only Way to Go

Infinite Power

Sunggyu sat down in front of the waiting team members.

"Well, I'll get started. In three weeks, the Viceroys of the countries taken over by the Sunset Empire will have a private audience with the Emperor and his advisors to report the earnings and also bring gifts for them. We are going into the palace to force the Viceroy to take us as his personal guard when he travels to the Empire. Once we get there, we're going to remove the Emperor and his advisors. Without the leaders dictatorship, the Empire's military chain of command will fall apart. Empire soldiers occupying the countries already under Empire rule will be aimless. The Free Nations will launch attacks to get rid of those soldiers and also send a sizable force into the Empire's capital."

A round of loud gasps were heard except from Dongwoo and Sungjong. The team expected that the plan was going to be wild but now they heard the scale of it, they thought it was another level of crazy. Sungjong looked aloof as usual. He already considered humans to be mostly foolish creatures. Dongwoo had heard most of it from Sunggyu before the meeting but even though he wasn't surprised, his heart still felt cold. As he expected, in just seconds, the air was filled with multiple questions thrown out at the same time.

"General, you are insane! Go to the Empire and kill the Emperor?!"

"How the heck are we going to make sure the Viceroy does as told?! He might double cross us anytime!"

"Yeah, he'd probably send word to the Emperor and we'd have an entire army waiting to shoot us on sight in the Sunset Empire!"

"Well, you won't get any answers if you all keep talking!" Sunggyu raised his voice. The noise died down and they looked expectantly at him.

"Just listen and don't make a sound until I say so."  Sunggyu took a deep breath and continued.

"The Viceroy was our King. He betrayed us all to the Sunset Empire. And while I don't know the reason for his betrayal, one thing I know about him for sure is that he is a man of words and not a man of action. He is afraid of getting physically hurt and he is very fond of his own appearance.  With the threat of harm from us, he wouldn't dare go against our wishes.

First, getting to the Woollim palace. There's a shed that was once used by the royal gardeners just behind an old entrance to the east  palace garden. That entrance is blocked now but it would be easy to get over that. But we'll have to make our way there in twos and threes to avoid attracting any attention. The east garden is hardly used since the kitchens were moved to the other side of the palace two years ago.

Second, a spying mission. I'll need Woohyun's skills for this one as he's the only one that can speak Empire language fluently and his senses are extraordinary.

Woohyun, you'll enter the palace through the unused kitchens at night. Use the Empire soldier uniform that you stole before as a disguise. I can give you the entire layout of the palace but I'll mark the way from the kitchens to the Viceroy's rooms. Knowing the Viceroy, I'm sure he must be staying in the same rooms he was using as King. All his favorite paintings, books and sculptures are there. He loves them like they were his own children. He won't let anyone else in his rooms because of that except the Queen, immediate family members and his valet. So you can be sure there won't be any guards inside.

But there might be guards outside his doors and guards patrolling the corridors on the way to his rooms. We need to know the times of the patrols and the number of soldiers in each patrol. Also, find out the day he will leave for the Empire. The palace is full of gossips. Then come back to the hideout.  With that information, we can plan the strategy to for our next "visit" which means meeting the Viceroy in his rooms the day before he leaves for the Empire. I'm asking a lot of you but I believe you can do it. Any questions?"

"General, how come you know so much about the palace and the King?" asked Woohyun.

"Because I'm the Queen's brother. Yes, the Duke that's always not around."

Another round of gasps.

"You're a Royal but more than that, second in line to the throne? That explains the attitude!" laughed Woohyun.

Sunggyu ignored Woohyun and continued.

"We'll get the Viceroy to write a command to the captain of the guards for six soldiers to accompany him on the trip to the Empire. Before the sun rises on the day of the trip, the six soldiers must report to his rooms to help him carry some of his priceless artpieces that will be given as tribute to the Emperor and the Emperor's advisors. We'll be in the rooms waiting for them. Once we capture them, we'll take their uniforms and disguise ourselves. We will be the soldiers accompanying the Viceroy to the Empire.  We will be the ones carrying the art pieces into the private audience with the Emperor and advisors. Gentlemen, we will be in the private audience room with NO ONE ELSE present but the Viceroy, the Emperor and the advisors."

Sunggyu paused a moment to let his last  line sink in.  

"Okay, team, out with your questions ONE by ONE starting from the left." said Sunggyu.

"Why only six? And how do we get our weapons into the audience room?"  This was Myungsoo.

"Six because the Tenshi will be our backup. As for weapons except your sword, you can hide them in the artpieces. The only one with problem would be me as my machine gun would be too big. I'll use one of Sungyeol's weapons instead."

"I'll carry your machine gun for you." said Sungjong.

"What??" Sunggyu was surprised.

"Your ears going bad now? I said I'll carry it for you. You will have it when you do what you have to."

"Em..thanks. Next question."

"Everything depends a lot on Woohyun's mission. He's going alone right into enemy ground. Are you sure about this, Woohyun?" said Hoya with a serious face.

Woohyun shrugged. "I've had to be quick on my feet all my life, Hoya. I can manage. I am that good you know."

"But still..."

"Hey mate, thanks for the concern. I have a better chance of doing it alone than with any of you lot." He clapped Hoya's shoulder and grinned. Then he turned to Sunggyu and asked him the question on everyone's mind.

"General, how did you know about the private audience details and the other nations attack plan?"

"It was a close friend of the Kabis liaison that helped me escape. He has been in contact with the leaders of the Free nations. The Free Nations are tired of constantly fighting the threat from the Empire. They've been waiting for a chance like this. And this man believes I'm the right one to do it. Once the deed is done, the nations will release their armies."

Sunggyu paused and saw the members still with concerned faces.

"Look, if anything goes horribly wrong in the Empire, he will help you escape. There is a large river leading to sea a mile east of the Emperor's palace. Make your way there. He'll be waiting in a boat named Cassiopeia."

"Who is he? He's taking a huge risk himself." said Hoya.

"He was once one of the highest ranking nobles of the Empire and advisor to the Emperor.  He protested the taking over of the smaller countries but the Emperor played dirty and banished him. That's as much as the Emperor could do as he is still well liked by the Empire citizens. Anyway, some of Empire border control officers are loyal to this man and he'll make it to the river easy."

"How would he know it's us?" asked Sungyeol.

"Give him the code word Purple Line and he will help hide you until we regroup. By the way, his name is Jaejoong."

With that, Sunggyu stood up and dusted his knees. It was a longshot plan but that was the best shot they had. He looked at each of the team, they were still so young (though he couldn't tell with the Tenshi being a Tenshi). They were all sitting quietly, lost in their thoughts. After hearing that crazy plan, would any of them drop out from the team? wondered Sunggyu.

Suddenly, Dongwoo got up and stood on Sunggyu's right. Sunggyu looked at him and thanked him in his heart. How about the rest?

Woohyun jumped up quickly next and joined him followed by the rest of the team.

"What are you waiting for, General? It's getting late, time to head into town and to REAL beds. No more hard ground for the next few nights!" Woohyun spoke and hoisted his backpack and jauntily walked in the direction of the town. "Come on, lads!".  The rest of the team were already on their feet and started to walk with firm steps and smiles on their faces.

Sunggyu looked at them with a stirring in his heart. They trusted him this much. It was a truly humbling feeling and he was resolved more than ever to bring them back home in one piece. He patted his upper pocket with the hamster snoozing in it and followed them.