Sign of Hope

Infinite Power

Sunggyu looked out from his hiding place up on a mountain ridge as the sun rose, surveying his once free country. Autumn had just rolled in and Woollim looked as beautiful as always with leaves shimmering in every shade from green to red to brown to golden throughout the valleys. But it was not the same country anymore. In the past one year, a great change had come over Woollim. The Sunset Empire had set its sights on Woollim's abundance of natural resources and decided to make it theirs. The royal family had been disposed, new laws had been set and a puppet government was in power.

Sunggyu clenched his fists at the thought of it all, "One day Woollim will be free again. And the Empire will leave our land forever, even if I have to conquer them myself!". It hurt him even more as he was a member of the royal family yet he could do nothing to save them when they were made hostages or "royal guests" as the Empire called them. As General of the West Army, he had been away in another country Kabis attending military talks when the Empire swooped in. The neighboring countries feared the Empire too much to help him launch a counterattack. The most Kabis could do was to secretly transport him to Woollim's borders and from there, he travelled by night to reach the capital only to be dismayed at how fast the government had surrendered.

"It's not going to be easy", he sighed as he turned to look at his meagre campsite. His trusty machine gun, a large tent, a simple communication device, food and his pet was all he had now. He shook his head to clear away the worry, "I can't give up, there has to be people loyal to the royal family out there." Sunggyu had trekked 80 miles from the capital to this mountain range as he had heard rumors of skilled fighters that had escaped to the mountains after the Woollim government had surrendered. He was determined to find them and somehow convince them to join his cause. It was getting frustrating as he had spent 10 days looking for them but to no avail.

The sun was high now and the sky was clear. He spotted two falcons fighting in the sky, the smaller of the two finally chasing off the larger bird. Sunggyu stood there a little longer then smiled, maybe just maybe today will be different. He straightened up, put on his backpack and started to walk to the west of the range.