Audition - Part 2

Contrastive Sonorus

"Whenever you're ready" announced one girl from the panel of the drama club, followed by a close one.

"Wait, let the other girl to study the script a bit, after all, she's not trying for actress, she's just helping us with this audition."

"Ok, then, you think 10 minutes is good for you?"

"Yes, probably more than enough" said Raina.

Suddenly, a girl entered the hall in a hurry. "I'm so sorry I'm late, I couldn't find you"

"Lizzy, you shouldn't run around here"

"Yeah, yeah. So, anything I can help with?" asked Lizzy to the members on the panel.

"Nana, it's going to make an audition and we have-"

"Nana? Wow, so glad you took the offer!" Lizzy ran happily towards Nana, until catching a glimpse of the script "Here let me help you" and getting close to the one auditioning. The latter gave a look to Raina, who simply made a head movement, signalating Lizzy, to which Nana barely shrugged as reply.

Both sides went back to their scripts, this time Raina was assisted by one of the girls from the panel. However, the girl was completely unaware that someone was watching her from the distance.

"What is she doing?" Eyoung paused and keep her eyes still on Raina "I thought she was serious about singing, didn't think she was just gonna put it on 2nd place for acting" after a soft sigh she added in a sad tone "I guess I shouldn't keep my hopes up anymore for talented newcomers" 

And so 10 minutes passed...

"Okay! we're ready!" both assistants went back to the panel with a suggestion, later accepted, of playing some characters of the scene.

"Ok, you may start now!"

The first scene to be played started — Raina as Heathcliff was brought by one of the girls acting as Cathy's father, covered by a blanket —, she sat with a serious expression, and so Nana as Cathy, came to her.

Raina looked down, but when hearing Nana's voice she looked up, just to feel surprisingly paralyzed by the expression she met in her face.

The joyful expression of Cathy's character reflected on Nana's face sent chills to Raina's body, the latter couldn't be more thankful for the lack of spoken lines and the fact that she was not auditioning or competing with her, otherwise, she would have failed.

And so Nana acted her lines "You... have dark skin... but it makes you look like a prince" which ended with a joyful smile.

They moved to the next scene, where Cathy had to watch how Heathcliff was bullied in the kitchen, Raina almost smiled, for somehow finding it a familiar treatment. It wasn't difficult to follow the script, so she just grabbed the chair and kept acting as she was eating. Nana was more than glad for Cathy to be smiling on this scene too, as well as showing herself impressed, a thing that matched her current feelings on Raina's acting.

Despite of being nervous, she kept herself on her role, walking around Raina in calm, looking at the cook and back to Heathcliff.

"I'm impressed! You don't say a word, even when bullied like that. You're a great kid!" she stops right next to Heathcliff to give her a look and a small smile "I change my mind about you."

Finally, after some more lines, the 3rd scene came to be played. 

"You'll be my slave, Heathcliff! So better start refering to my sister as Miss Catherine"

Nana managed to play a pretty convincing scene as Catherine, trying to set herself free from Cathy's brother to go with Heathcliff. Raina was again caught in amaze at how real her screaming and pushing was, so she decided to match her acting the best she could, for her...

Yes, for her...

Heathcliff engage a fist fight with the other actress to reach Cathy, unfortunately, she couldn't avoid a punch that was being thrown at her on time. Everyone looked horrified as Raina's lip started to bleed, but Nana, who was still very into her character, moved quickly towards Heathcliff, as his Cathy...

Yes, I'm Heathcliff's Cathy...

She ripped off her shirt to clean the little wound "You were really brave, Heathcliff.", smiling she stood up lending a hand to help her up, after a little giggle, she ran for a few meters before stopping to turn "Heathcliff, aren't you coming?" she ran back and pulled Heathcliff's hand "Let's go to the moors! Catch me if you can!" and so she ran for the last time in the scene.

All the girls from the drama club were impressed by Nana's quick thinking to keep going the scene. It was already done, but neither them nor Nana, expected that Raina was going to understand Heathcliff's heart and voice it the only way she knew. She took a deep breath and...

"Darkness surrounds me, 
I wear a cloak at night. 
I live in shadows, I reach out to the light..."

Raina felt a bit conscious of what she was doing and her voice started to fade with a glimpse of embarrassment on her face, until a set of keys avoided both the latter feeling and silence to take over. She saw Eyoung at the piano playing the music that went with the words, both smiled at each other and so the singer's voice took place again.

 

"Each day brings nothing but anguish and heartache,
but I will not abandon my fight.
 
Though it may hunts me,
I will remain right here,
nothing can daunts me
as long as you are near.
 
Cathy, only you are real to me.
Cathy, only you can feel for me.
In a world where I hate all I find, 
only you ease the pain in my mind..."

 

Then she stopped, after realizing that during the chorus her face was looking at one direction, one face, one pair of eyes that drawn a smile on her lips...

"I'm sorry. I-I don't remember the rest of the lyrics"

 

 


A/N: Sorry for taking so long. I'm still working on this story and "Hands and Leaves", no worries.