Audition - Part 1

Contrastive Sonorus

FLASHBACK

 

Even though Raina allowed Nana's company for a single day, the latter still found her way to take the aspiring singer to her choir practices often, until the moment that it was already an understatement for both girls to walk together to every practice, provoking several question marks in most people's heads, even their closest ones.

 

"Nana, you're not dating Raina, right?"

 

"What? I just like her..." making Uee's eyes to go wide "Not like that! I like to be close to her, I like her voice and even if she can be bitter at times, she always has good words for me"

 

"Right..." Uee understood her friend's reasons but still had her doubts.

 

**

 

"Raina, I know this looks like the impossible thing in the world, but, by any chance, are you and Nana..? — You like Nana? As in that like?" asked Jooyeon.

 

"I don't" answered Raina quite calm, then tilted her head to a side. "I like her company, though"

 

Little did Jooyeon know, that such question will gradually summon a load of interrogations on Raina's head.

 

**

 

The following day, Nana was sitting alone at the school cafeteria, which was quite weird for someone like her, when Raina made it to the place, many stared at her, following her steps until she sat next to the taller girl in a natural way, evoking the murmur of the observants.

 

"Everything okay?" asked Raina

 

"Yes..." Nana simply replied just to let out a sigh a few seconds later.

 

"Nana, I think I know you enough by now to tell when something it's not okay. What's happening?"

 

She hesitated a bit, but spoke up "Well, you know that I help to organize the events for the drama club, but this new club president has just asked me if I wanted to join"

 

"That sounds great" Raina smiled, but Nana looked down with a worried look. "You're not sure about joining?"

 

"I always liked watching them, I mean... I've helped sometimes when they needed an extra. But, what if I'm not good?"

 

"Nana, the fact that you've been always around for that club, tells me that you like that environment. Whether you think you're good at acting or not, just depends on one thing"

 

"And that's...?" she asked getting her face close to Raina's.

 

"Joining. That's the only way of finding out."

 

Nana looked up and sighed, then Raina put an arm around her shoulders to turn her attention towards her, as she got closer to the girl. "Look, just join if they've invited you, if you have to do an audition, then go for it, at least if you fail, you'll rest your head with the fact that you tried your best at it."

 

"I guess I should take the risk, right?"

 

"Exactly"

 

Nana looked at her, then somewhere else, and then back at the girl "Will you go with me?"

 

"I'm not sure about that"

 

"Why?" she asked with a sad face.

 

Raina stood silent, she didn't want to be rude and say that she didn't want to be there, so if Nana got accepted, it would because of some influence her presence did.

 

For that was what Nana caused in her own audition. The thought made her frown.   

 

"I want you to get through your audition by yourself. So, if you're capable of going alone through all the odds, company will make it sweeter. Besides, it's not like you're gonna have company wherever you go, you are already a good company for me.. I mean, for people, so why don't get the pleasure of your own company?" Raina sighed, so much wording made her seem like she just wanted to get rid of Nana in a subtle way. Luckily, Nana seemed to understand what she meant.

 

"At least I do get to cry or celebrate with you after I'm done, right?"

 

"Of course. I'll wait for you outside."

 

**

 

The day for Nana's audition came and there she was on the aisle, holding Raina's hand receiving no complains from her, despite of the anxious way she was holding it.

 

Suddenly, the leader of the drama club came out "You can audition now"

 

"You'll be fine" said Raina squeezing her hand a bit along with a smile. Nana gave a huge smile back and entered the auditorium leaving Raina outside, whom by some unknown reason was starting to miss the contact.

 

After a couple of minutes, one of the drama club girls came out and asked Raina if she could help with Nana's audition, for she had a coughing that didn't leave her recite the words. "You don't have to recite it well, we're just testing Nana. Hey, you could even sing the lines, I think someone has made this play a musical before."

 

"What's the play?"

 

"Wuthering Heights. Nana will be playing Cathy's lines, and you'll get Heathcliff."

 

Raina hesitated so much, she was about to decline, but somehow, she found herself unable to abandon Nana just like that.

 

I know she's good, what influence has to do with it? ...Why I'm thinking like this? This... this is not how I usually think. Why I can't-. She sighed, I believe in her, that's what happens, right? I hope one day I don't hate myself for this if I get disappointed of her.

 

And so, she entered and stood in front of the scenario to Nana's surprise, who smiled widely, slowly diving in her rushed thoughts.

 

She's here! She's gonna help me... wait, she doesn't like me, I shouldn't get my hopes up.. wait, why I feel sad about that? I know my hopes are just for her to be my friend, to share things with me, to be happy with me, to be with me... To be with me..? She spends time with me already, then why it doesn't feel enough? Do I want her to like me? Do I like..?

 

Nana shook her head and paid attention on reading her lines, as she watched Raina to do so.

 

"Whenever you're ready" announced one girl from the panel of the drama club.