Chapter 16

Slow Motion

 

Chapter 16
“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” Jin Ri asked as Kyuhyun as she fixed the collar of the shirt he was wearing, looking at his reflection through the mirror.

“Yes,” Kyuhyun answered for about the fifth time. He grabbed her hands and kissed them. “Why are you more nervous than me? Everything’s going to be fine. I’m going to be okay.”

“You say that now,” she mumbled.

Her brothers had arranged for Kyuhyun to join them in their monthly boys’ day out. It was a tradition that now included Il Sung. They would go out for a whole day, with no contact from girlfriends, and do guy things. She had come over to his dorm to help him prepare.

“What exactly will we do again?” he asked, clearing his throat. He was nervous and he even felt more anxiety, knowing that his girlfriend was nervous as well. But this was something he wanted to do. He wanted to be a part of her family, like she was already a part of his.

A couple of weeks ago, he had taken her to his hometown to meet his parents. Not surprisingly, they adored her. His mom kept on going on and on about she was exactly the kind of girl she wanted his son to be with. Jin Ri adored his parents in the same way. She didn’t want to leave when the dinner ended. Now, she and his mom called each other every other day and when she sent him food, she made sure to prepare a meal for Jin Ri as well.

“Manly stuff,” she told him. “Like billiards, go-karting, paintball…” she trailed away when he met her eyes through the mirror. “Okay, maybe more like kiddie stuff, but it’s what they do.” She shrugged. “It’ll be fun.” She shot him a warm and comforting smile.

“What are you going to do today?” he then asked as he fixed his hair, wanting to veer away from the subject that is just causing him to almost start a panic attack.

“Just spend some time with Taeyeon and Zhoumi gege,” she answered, handing him his wallet and mobile phone.

“Zhoumi?” he repeated, putting said items in his pockets. “Why Zhoumi?” He liked the fact that she had become close with all of the members. He wouldn’t have it any other way. But this was the first time she was going out with one of them in tow.

“We’re going shopping,” she explained indifferently. “You know how he has the best fashion sense.”

“What about Sun Young?” he pressed. He had now turned away from the mirror to face her.

“She has meetings all day,” she explicated. “Why are you asking so many questions?” She frowned then suddenly smirked. “You’re not jealous, are you?”

“Of Mimi?” he coughed, moving away from her to grab his bag. “Why would I be jealous?”

“Okay then,” she casually commented, deciding to let it go. But she noticed how his ears were turning redder by the second. “Do you have everything you need?”

“Yeah,” he said, following her out of the room, still not meeting her eyes.

“Are you really leaving without giving me a kiss?” she pointedly called. The boys who were lounged in the living room groaned.

“Please don’t do this here,” Eunhyuk beseeched, his eyes boring into the TV screen. Ryeowook covered his eyes even though he wasn’t actually facing them. But both Sungmin and Yesung were watching them, amused looks on their faces.

Kyuhyun smirked and faced Jin Ri. “Which kiss do you want, the middle school one or the high school one?” he asked, his voice low.

~ * ~

The boys had spent the morning having a relaxing breakfast and just talking to each other in the country club restaurant. The brothers mostly interrogated Kyuhyun on how he and Jin Ri met, with Il Sung just watching in amusement on the sidelines. They asked him about his job, about his schedules, and about the people he worked with. They also asked about his family and friends. After the morning interrogation, they drove over to the driving range for the start of their manly bonding activities. Even though Kyuhyun told them that he hadn’t played a single game of golf in his life, they insisted for him to join. Being the genius that he was, he did well, hitting the ball to reach a fair distance and surprising everyone.

Kyuhyun found that, despite all of them being successful in their respective fields, they were all still very young. He would’ve thought that they were already in their mid-thirties. It surprised him to know that they were only in their twenties, very much his age. The first time he had met them was over dinner with Jin Ri in one of the fancier restaurants in Seoul. It was very formal and had very nearly given him a heart attack because her brothers stared at him like they were slowly crushing him. He was almost sure that he would’ve been torn into pieces if only looks could do such. But in the car and during breakfast, they were very nice and accommodating to him. Aside from the continuous throwing of questions at him, he was enjoying himself. It was nice to be out with a bunch of guys out of the spotlight.

Kyuhyun, fully protected with a black and smelly vest, surveyed the terrain, a big paintball gun in hand. Once they were done in the driving range, they had moved on to playing paintball.

“What do you think?” Il Sung asked, moving to stand beside him, looking through the area as well. They had just finished picking teams and the two were grouped together with Sung Ki.

“This’ll be easy,” Kyuhyun confidently stated, smirking. Having played tactical games practically all his life, it had become easy for him to apply the strategies he learned there anywhere.

Il Sung chuckled. “Jin was right about you,” he observed.

“What did she say?” Kyuhyun wanted to know.

“She said that you could be a bit proud,” Il Sung relayed gently.

“That’s not the term she used, isn’t it?” Kyuhyun knowingly clarified.

Il Sung shook his head. “She used bigheaded and pompous.”

Kyuhyun laughed. “That’s my girl.”

Sung Ki arrived, looking ready to shoot. He grinned and put an arm around each boy’s shoulders. “Let’s make sure we win,” he directed.

“Kyuhyun has a strategy in mind,” Il Sung told him.

“Let’s hear it then,” Sung Ki said.

They huddled to one side as Kyuhyun discussed what he had in mind. As he continued, the smiles on Sung Ki’s and Il Sung’s faces widened even more, obviously liking what they’re hearing. Kyuhyun grinned. He was in his element. He’d never wanted to much to win in his life before. He wanted to make his girlfriend’s brothers proud. He wanted to make Jin Ri proud.

After the two teams were done meeting with their members, they all went to their respective hiding places, flags situated at a safe place, and started to play.

Three rounds, two hits and one bullet later, Kyuhyun removed the vest and placed it on the table, along with his gun. He was drenched in sweat and paint, but he didn’t care. Their team won. He grinned as Sung Ki and Il Sung high fived each other then him.

As they walked towards the car, Jae Sun sidled up to Kyuhyun. “You’re some strategist, Kyu,” he remarked admirably. “I suppose there is a positive side to all that gaming that you do.” Jae Sun already liked Kyuhyun. He could see why his sister liked him. The man was smart and witty, definitely someone you can talk to for ages. He had some sense of humor, too. And he really seemed to care a lot about his sister. It was evident in the way he talked.

“Luckily,” Kyuhyun snickered.

“So Kyu, what’s the best thing that you like about Riri?” Yung Ho wanted to know. It took a long time for him to get used to Sun Young having a boyfriend so it would probably take a while for him to adjust to Kyuhyun being around all the time. But he found Kyuhyun to be a nice and humble guy, despite the occasional snarkiness.

“Er,” Kyuhyun began, caught off guard. Of all Jin Ri’s brothers, he felt like the one who liked him least was Yung Ho. He was always asking the questions that were difficult to answer, making him uncomfortable. “I like how she makes me feel good about myself and everything around me.”

“Ah so you’re one of those sensitive types,” Yung Ho commented, snickering.

“Yung Ho,” Sung Ki half-heartedly scolded. Jae Sun and Il Sung merely smiled.

“I find that Jin appreciates that side of me,” Kyuhyun calmly responded. He wasn’t going to allow himself fall flat on his face in front of them, not even metaphorically.

“What does she love more, photography or music?” Sung Ki questioned. What they’re doing, asking him twenty questions, was completely unnecessary. It wasn’t up to them if he was to become a part of their family. That was up to Jin Ri. Besides, they already liked the guy. But it was fun seeing him squirm and think of the answers.

Kyuhyun felt like he was in a beauty pageant, but he thought it through. “Both are a big part of her life, but I think, if one made her choose, I think she would pick photography.”

“Why photography?” Il Sung inquired.

“It gives her time,” Kyuhyun replied with a half-shrug. “And it makes her preserve everything that’s happened in her life.”

“When you think of her, what’s the first thing that comes to mind?” Yung Ho demanded.

“Chocolate,” Kyuhyun confessed, smiling a little. He remembered the first time they ever went out and talked. It was over chocolates and hot chocolate.

“Do you know that she hates white chocolate?” Jae Sun conversationally added.

“I do, actually,” Kyuhyun said, nodding and chuckling.

“What’s her favorite color?” Jae Sun randomly asked.

“She has no favorite color,” Kyuhyun automatically answered. “But she prefers black and white above all other colors.” He almost wanted to laugh because the questions being thrown at him were becoming more and more ridiculous.

“So what did you think about the whole thing with her and Shin Jae?” Yung Ho continued carelessly. Il Sung’s eyes widened.

“Yung Ho!” Sung Ki admonished.

“Hyung!” Jae Sun yelled at the same time.

“I’m okay with it,” was Kyuhyun’s answer, wondering why they were all getting so worked up. Did they really think that Jin Ri wouldn’t tell him about that? He did want to choke the bastard for leaving her like that just because she didn’t want to be with him. But, in a sense, he was grateful. If he didn’t leave, he probably would never have the chance to be with her. Things would’ve turned out differently perhaps.

“You are?” the brothers chorused. Il Sung looked at him curiously.

Kyuhyun frowned at their reactions. “Shouldn’t I be? It’s all in the past,” he told them, taken aback. He couldn’t understand what the fuss was about. It didn’t seem like that big of a deal. Jin Ri was hurt, but it wasn’t as if it was a big scandal.

Jae Sun put a hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and shook his head, an admiring smile on his face. “Man, you’re a different kind of breed,” he commented. “I don’t think I can be as understanding as you are.”

“Well not everyone can change girls in a snap of their finger,” Sung Ki teased.

“Kyu’s an idol,” Jae Sun reminded them. “I’m sure he can do the same thing. He doesn’t even have to snap a finger. Girls just throw themselves at him.” Kyuhyun’s cheeks tinged red.

“But he wouldn’t do that,” Yung Ho remarked, giving Kyuhyun a meaningful look. “Wouldn’t you? Not to our sister anyway.”

Kyuhyun submissively shook his head. “Of course not.”

~ * ~

True to what she told Kyuhyun, Jin Ri went out shopping with Taeyeon and Zhoumi. All three were very much bundled up in sweaters and hoodies. But the cold weather wasn’t the only reason for this. Once Jin Ri realized the risk, she had wanted to just stay at home and watch some DVDs. But the two heavily insisted on going on, saying that they never get the chance to go malling anymore. Hence, the bundling up. Even Jin Ri was protected under a cap and black-framed glasses. Taeyeon and Zhoumi insisted on this because being with them would mean that her picture would be splashed on the Internet as well. It would be better if she wasn’t easily recognized either.

“How about this one?” Taeyeon suggested, holding up a yellow, flower-printed polo shirt for Jin Ri and Zhoumi to see. Zhoumi burst out in fits of laughter, while Jin Ri gave her a pointed look. “What?”

“Do you want Kui Xian to dance the hula or something?” Zhoumi asked, still laughing hard.

“He’s the one who wants to be seen differently,” Taeyeon reminded them, rolling her eyes as she put the shirt back on the rack. “And I don’t doubt he’ll look good in it. Kyuhyun oppa looks good in anything.”

Jin Ri stopped going through the clothes on the rack she was standing in front of and looked at the girl group leader. “Do you have some secret crush on Kyuhyun or something?” she calmly inquired. When Taeyeon and Zhoumi both stopped talking and looked at her, serious looks on their faces, she added, “I really don’t mind if you do.” She half-shrugged.

“Jin, I would never…” Taeyeon began, shaking her head and holding her hands up, waving them, emphasizing no. Suddenly, the girl put her hands down to her sides, her eyes narrowed. “You were pulling my leg, weren’t you?”

Jin Ri smirked. “Of course I was,” she giggled. “You should’ve seen your face.”

“Ya, don’t joke like that,” Zhoumi told her off lightly, a small smile on his face. “We take these things seriously, you know. You’re a part of the family and everyone knows you’re Kyuhyun’s.”

Jin Ri blushed at this. “I was just joking,” she muttered, her eyes on the clothes again. “Besides,” she went on, more confidently this time, glancing at Taeyeon, “I know Taeyeon likes army men now. Kyuhyun doesn’t have broad shoulders.” She snickered.

It was Taeyeon’s turn to blush. It was no secret to the SM family to whom she had given her heart. “I’m going to look for some socks in the ladies section,” she randomly told them, walking off without another word.

Zhoumi chuckled as Taeyeon walked away. She turned to Jin Ri, who was giggling. He shook his head and decided to just change the subject. “So what are you really planning for your sixth month anniversary? It’s still a month away and you’re already preparing like crazy.”

“I just want to be prepared,” she responded vaguely. “But… just maybe making a scrapbook of all our photos… we have a lot, you know. I think he’d appreciate that. Then maybe some camera equipment.”

“I hear you’ve been composing,” he replied, watching her closely. Leeteuk and Kyuhyun both had told him in passing on different occasions that she had started writing and composing again. He was almost positive that she was doing it for Kyuhyun.

“Well, I might be preparing something for him,” she timidly revealed. She sighed and looked at the older male. “I really don’t know if it’s any good. He’s heard the first verse and he said he liked it, but that doesn’t really say anything.”

“Kyu’s very honest,” he placated her. “And he has a good ear for music. I’m sure it’s really good if he says he liked it.” When she just stood there, looking hesitant, he offered, “You can run it by me if you wish. Or Teukie hyung if you prefer. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.”

She met his eyes, smiling appreciatively. Zhoumi was truly one of the nicest people she’s ever met. Sun Young had been going on and on about him when she had told her that she’d met him. Her cousin kept on saying that the tall, Chinese man was incredibly kind-hearted. Jin Ri felt lucky to have known him and to have easily gotten close to him. He was so comfortable to be with that she felt she found another really good friend. Not that she didn’t think of the other members as friends. It was just that she and Zhoumi spent more time together than she did with the others, which was why they were closer.

“So…” he continued. “Don’t you miss him yet?” They began walking around.

“Kyu?” she clarified. “Why?”

“You guys haven’t talked all day,” he prompted her.

“We talked this morning,” she told him.

“Still. Aren’t you worried if anything’s happened to him?” he went on.

“He’s with my brothers,” she said. “Nothing’s going to happen to him. Besides, it’s a rule that when the guys go out, no calls from girlfriends.” She smiled at the thought.

“And you’re okay with that? I would think that couples, especially new ones would always be attached to the hip,” he commented thoughtfully.

“Too much attachment is not good,” she pronounced, shaking her head. “Despite being together, Kyuhyun has his life and I have mine. I want him to be able to breathe. I want to be able to breathe.”

“Too much breathing ground is not good either,” he stated.

“How would you know if the space you’re giving each other is just right?” she wanted to know, glancing up at him.

“It would depend on the couple, I suppose,” he answered. “There are different rules for everyone. What works for another may not work for others.” He looked at her. “Is there anything you’re worried about?”

She shook her head. “No, I was just curious,” she secured. “Kyu’s an idol and there are things that come with that so I’m being open and giving him all the breathing ground that he needs. That includes fangirls, fanservice, whether it be with fans or with other idols…”

“That’s a lot of leeway,” he observed, sounding a bit surprised.

“Performing is his dream,” she stated, smiling. “I’m not going to take one bit of that away from him.”

He smiled back at her. Jin Ri just continued to surprise him every time. Her tiny physique would never do justice in showing just how strong of a person she was. Being the girlfriend of an idol was no easy feat. He had seen how Angie and Nari, Shindong’s girlfriend—now fiancée—struggled. It wasn’t easy seeing girls throwing themselves at your other half, most especially if they were out of the country where they’re unable to watch them closely. Then there was the time issue. Idol schedules were unpredictable. Dates usually got canceled left and right, which would usually be a cause for fights. But Jin Ri never seemed to complain. She always just understood and stood by him. And they were only in the first months of their relationship. It was usually in those months were it was the hardest.

“Kui Xian’s really lucky to have you,” Zhoumi declared, looking at the girl fondly. It was about time that Kyuhyun found a love that he deserved. Being the magnae, he’d always had the love of everyone around him, but he knew that it wasn’t enough at times.

Jin Ri shook her head. “I’m lucky to have him.”

Zhoumi thought he saw a hint of sadness in the smile that she smiled.