Chapter 10

Slow Motion

 

Chapter 10
Jin Ri stood by the door of the studio and watched as the pictorial took place. SM Entertainment’s artists were having their pictures taken to add to the series of photos that had come out for their SMTown concerts. It had been a month since she had last stepped into the office. She’d been so busy with spreads with magazines, among other things, that she hadn’t had the chance to visit. It was a good thing that there weren’t any photo shoots during such time.

She smiled, leaning on the doorway, as the f(x) girls fooled around with a couple of the members from SHINee, So Nyuh Shi Dae, and Super Junior. Even BoA, who was talking to Heechul and Siwon on the side, was around. She’d never seen everyone gathered before and it was true, what all the fans say. They really were a family.

Scanning the place, she then searched for Kyuhyun. She found him laughing dorkily with some of his hyungs and two of the girls from SNSD. His smile and laughter gave a pang in her chest. It was a while since she’d seen him, much less seen him so happy that way. The space she surrounded herself with was something that she knew was unfair for most people who were in her life. But it was most unfair to Kyuhyun, because he didn’t know why she needed it.

“Jin Ri unnie!” she heard her name being called. Kyuhyun’s eyes immediately shot around the room, looking for the owner of the name. It didn’t take long for him to find her. They just locked eyes for a couple of seconds, until Jin Ri broke contact because Luna had come bundling towards her, hugging her tightly.

“Unnie, we missed you,” Luna gushed, hugging her again and smiling with her pretty eye smile. Jin Ri chuckled and ruffled the younger one’s hair then waved at the other artists who called and greeted her.

“Ya, where have you been?” Victoria, who had followed the younger member, demanded jokingly, shoving Jin Ri lightly. She then raised her eyebrows knowingly at her.

“Around,” was Jin Ri’s only answer as she chuckled. She had met the other SM artists at one of the gatherings so she was pretty much friends with all of them. “How’ve you guys been?”

“Good,” Luna responded with a flourish. “Unnie, some of us are going out after this. Do come with us.”

“Actually,” Jin Ri began, glancing towards Kyuhyun, who, at the same moment, lifted his eyes towards her. The main purpose of her going there was so she could talk to Kyuhyun. She figured it was about time that she started talking to him again. His hyungs weren’t too happy with how she’s been making their magnae unhappy.

“Jin Ri-ssi,” Seung Hun, her boss, called. “Would you kindly look through these photos and see if any need editing?” She took the CD from him and nodded. “If there are any that need editing, I trust you to do it.” He smiled then turned to Victoria and Sulli. “Good job today, girls.” After respectful bows, he walked away.

“I guess this means I have to do some work,” Jin Ri told the girls. “I don’t think I’ll be able to go out with you guys after all.” She smiled apologetically as Luna pouted. “See you guys later,” she added before she left.

~ * ~

After a couple of hours, Jin Ri was finally done with the editing of the photos. She walked out of the room and closed the door behind her. Turning to her left, in the direction of her boss’ office, she jumped in surprise, almost screaming when she saw that someone was standing there.

“Is this what happens when you don’t see me for a month?” Kyuhyun wondered aloud, an amused smile on his face.

With a hand on her chest, she retorted, “No, this is just the effect of your natural creepiness.” Taking a deep breath to calm her heart down, she asked, “What are you still doing here?” Glancing at her watch, she noticed that it was almost seven in the evening. The pictorial would’ve ended ages ago.

“I waited for you so I could ask you one question,” he responded, his hands in his pockets. He glanced at the floor and shifted in his stance. When he had finally taken his eyes off of the tiles and had looked at her, he very quietly, but clearly questioned, “Are you done running away yet?” She opened to say something, but he cut her off. “If you aren’t, I want you to know that I’m not going anywhere. I don’t care how many times you push me away, I’m always going to go after you.”

“That’s not just a question,” she responded lightly, her eyes moist.

“Is that a yes?” he pressed eagerly, a smile forming on his lips.

“I’m done,” she assured him.

“Good,” he sighed in relief. He scratched his head in sudden shyness and awkwardness as he smiled. “I was beginning to wonder when you’d start talking to me again. It was starting to get bothersome.”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “You just said that you didn’t mind,” she shot back.

Chuckling, he pulled her towards him and gave her a hug. “What do you say we celebrate, just like old times?”

“Do you mean eat?” she giggled, hugging him back and looking up at him.

“I’m craving for some samgyupsal,” he declared, rubbing his tummy through the fabric of his shirt. “And I think I hear your tummy telling me the same thing,” he went on, pointing at the mentioned body part.

She rolled her eyes, thinking about how she missed him and his snarky comments. “I was actually thinking of doing something else,” she mused, looking at him.

“What?” he wondered.

“I want you to meet my parents,” she told him, smiling a little at his shocked reaction.

~ * ~

The Super Junior members were in the salon, getting their hair and make-up done for an out of town show that they were doing that afternoon. Shindong, Heechul, Sungmin, Siwon, and Ryeowook were all in the make-up chairs, all feeling very tired, while the rest waited for their turn. Donghae and Eunhyuk were playing around, as usual, trying to tickle each other or put lipstick on the other’s face. Leeteuk, who was seated, reading a magazine, sighed at this and glared at the boys.

“Will you two behave?” Leeteuk called in a calm but stern voice. When the two boys appeared to not have heard this, Heechul stepped in.

“Ya!” Heechul yelled. “Will you two sit down somewhere and just stop?”

Eunhyuk’s eyes widened in surprise and immediately pulled Donghae to sit on the first empty seat he saw. “Sorry hyung,” Eunhyuk muttered, glancing at Leeteuk as well to let him know he meant him as well.

Suddenly, the two boys stood up again and rushed towards the salon entrance in frenzy, almost tripping over each other. Even Ryeowook and Sungmin smiled happily when they saw who the visitor was. 

“What now?” Heechul grumbled, glancing at the salon entrance through the mirror.

“Hi oppa,” Jin Ri greeted Heechul, hugging him from behind and giving him a light kiss on the cheek. “Sorry,” she then apologized, knowing that she caused a ruckus.

Heechul’s annoyance dissipated immediately at the sight of her. “What are you doing here?” he demanded, smiling.

“I come bringing treats,” she announced, holding up the paper bags with lunch boxes that she brought.

“Ah you didn’t have to do this,” Leeteuk told her appreciatively, standing up and walking over to her.

“Of course I did,” she responded, shaking her head and handing him his lunch box. “You look like you haven’t eaten. Eat.” She grinned.

The boys who weren’t doing anything crowded around it and began getting the lunch box with their names on it. Jin Ri chuckled then curiously looked around, realizing that she couldn’t see Kyuhyun.

“He’s over there,” Leeteuk told her, nodding towards a corner of the salon. Kyuhyun was seated, his arms crossed on his chest and leaning against the wall, sleeping. When Jin Ri gave the leader a curious look, he chuckled. “It’s that StarCraft II,” he let her know.

Jin Ri sat down beside Kyuhyun, not waking him up and just watching him sleep. He probably slept at some ungodly hour again, playing games. She considered confiscating it if it meant even less sleep for him. It seemed that he had gotten back to gaming too much again when they stopped hanging out.

Without warning, Kyuhyun suddenly opened his eyes, startling her. He smirked. “I knew you were the creepy one,” he knowingly murmured.

“I thought you were sleeping,” she retorted in surprise.

He shook his head. “I couldn’t. With the noise my hyungs were making, who could?” Both turned to look at the other members. This time it was Sungmin and Shindong who were playing around, while Donghae and Eunhyuk thumb-wrestled, being on the make-up chairs. He then turned to her. “What are you doing here?”

She held up the lunch box she made for him and opened it, revealing delicious-looking Kimbap, egg rolls, some vegetables, rice cakes, among others. “I brought food,” she told him with a grin.

He straightened up on his seat and got the lunch box from here. “You bought these on take out, didn’t you?” he teased, clicking the chopsticks she handed from him and starting to eat.

“Your faith in me is so overwhelming,” she remarked with smile on her face.

“When do you have the time to make these?” he chuckled, a happy look on his face. The food was delicious. He hadn’t realized that he was feeling hungry. “Did Sun Young help you?”

She shook her head. “Sun Young’s out of the country,” she shared. “She’s coming home tonight.”

He then noticed that his hyungs were eating too. He frowned. “Did you also make some for them?”

“Yeah,” she confirmed, glancing at him. “I couldn’t just make you one and not them.” When his frown deepened, she grinned. “But I made another one just for you.” She brought out another lunch box, this time, containing sampgyupsal.

A broad smile appeared on his face as she opened the container, emitting the heavenly smell of meat. The rest of the boys turned their heads at the smell and were all about to comment or complain, depending on the member, when Kyuhyun said something that made them all freeze.

“I love you, you know that?” Kyuhyun unconsciously declared, grinning at her as he got the lunch box with samgyupsal from her hands.

But Jin Ri didn’t seem to feel bothered by his words for she merely laughed. “I know you do. Now eat,” she ordered. She then stood up, hanging her bag on her shoulder.

“Are you leaving already?” Kyuhyun asked, looking up at her.

“Despite what you may think, I’m not your personal assistant,” she joked, smiling at him. “I have to go to a shoot then I’ll pick Sun Young up at the airport.”

He put the lunch boxes down on the seat and stood up as well. He waited by the door as she said her goodbyes to the other members.

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” Kyuhyun asked hopefully as she he walked her to where her car was parked.

“Are you sure you’re not sick of me yet?” she teased, unlocking her car.

“Hmmm,” he appeared to think about her question.

She slapped his arm and chuckled. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

When Kyuhyun returned to the Salon, he found Leeteuk waiting for him by the door. There was something about the way the leader looked at him that made him know that they were going to have some sort of serious conversation.

“What’s up, hyung?” Kyuhyun casually started, standing beside him and putting his hands in his pockets.

“What do you mean?” Leeteuk innocently replied, his eyes widening.

“This is about Jin Ri, isn’t it?” the magnae went straight to the point. When the older male gave him a surprised look, he smiled. “It really isn’t like that between us. I don’t know why you guys keep pushing that there’s something more.”

“Your words and actions say otherwise, Kyuhyunnie,” the leader affectionately but cautiously responded. “Don’t deny that she’s special to you.”

“I’m not,” Kyuhyun stated, shaking his head. “She’s a very important person to me. But that doesn’t mean that there’s something there.”

“Okay,” Leeteuk considered. “Is she important to you because she reminds you of your ex-girlfriend?”

Kyuhyun merely shook his head. For a moment, both males were bathed in silence, merely standing there and being in each other’s presence. The magnae then thought back to the time when he sang her a song when she was sick. The song I Am just kept on playing in his head even after he had sung it to her and it wasn’t even one of his favorite Super Junior songs. He figured that maybe, just maybe, there was something more. But that didn’t mean he would say it out loud and give his hyungs the satisfaction of being right.

“Even if there was something more,” Kyuhyun then quietly began. “It’s not the right time.”

Leeteuk looked at him. “Why do you say that?”

“She doesn’t trust me enough,” Kyuhyun sighed. He pushed his hands deeper into his pocket and looked up at the sky.

“I doubt that,” Leeteuk commented. “You told me that you were going to meet her parents. How was it?”

“Did you know that her uncle is Chung Mong Koo of Hyundai?” Kyuhyun shared. When Leeteuk didn’t say anything, he proceeded, “Yeah. She’s the niece of one of the richest men in South Korea.”

The leader hesitated. “Hyuk kinda told me about this.”

“You knew?” Kyuhyun asked, looking at the leader, surprised.

“He saw Sun Young at the Hyundai office when he and Donghae were looking at cars and I think he looked it up,” Leeteuk explained. “There’s no problem with that, is there?”

“Of course there isn’t,” Kyuhyun confirmed. But it kind of bothered him how he didn’t know such a simple detail about her. Everything in his life, shared with her. He told her about his fears and dreams, things that he didn’t tell to just anyone. He really couldn’t understand why it was so hard for her to open up to him, to trust him.

“Kyu,” Leeteuk began cautiously. “I’m sure she has her reasons. You probably just have to be patient.” 

There was a short silence after that. They both just stood there, Kyuhyun, a mixture of confusion and hurt on his face and Leeteuk, helplessness and comfort. The magnae knew that he had to be patient. Sun Young did advise him to not rush Jin Ri after all But patience had never been one of his strong suits.

“So how did the meeting with her parents go?” Leeteuk inquired again, trying to keep the conversation going.

“Her parents are dead,” Kyuhyun revealed, a faraway look in his eyes. The leader turned to him in shock at such piece of information. “We went to the cemetery.” He paused. “They were in a car accident.”

“She was in the car too?” Leeteuk questioned, his gaze piercing the magnae’s.

Kyuhyun nodded. “Her dad was driving, her mom in the passenger seat and she was in the backseat. She said that there was something that she told them, which caused her dad to have a heart attack and to lose control of the vehicle.”

“What was it that she told them?” the elder wanted to know.

There was a pause then a somewhat mocking chuckle. “Like I said, she doesn’t trust me enough.”