One Week (Part 2)

One Rainy Day

Day 3

The girl's mother stood in front of her, holding her hand tightly. Only twelve, now, she still didn't quite understand what was going on. Never had her mother held on to her so tightly, nor has she ever seen her mother so pale and white.

"I'll tell you later..." She remembered her mother whisper right before they entered the hospital.

The girl kept asking herself why they were here, her mother wouldn't even stumble a word as they rode up the elevator. Everything seemed to be going by fast. 

But as her mother looked at her, great fear entered her heart. She knew her mother was about to say something. The something that she said she was going to tell me later, the girl thought.

"____, darling..." Her mother started, rubbing her daughter's arms, trying to find the right words. Looking away, out the window, she continued with sadness. "I'm sick..." she trailed off.

Confused, the girl smiled. "Mom, don't worry! You've been sick before and you've gotten through them in no time!" The girl beamed at her mother, trying to cheer her up.

Her mother shook her head, smiling painfully. "That's not the problem, sweetie..." She started to cough.

The girl frowned. She thought about what her mother had said, about the fact that she was sick. She couldn't help but notice that her mother had been sick for awhile. squishing her face, the girl asked, "Mom, when's your sickness suppose to go away? You've been coughing for a while now." she crossed he arms, giving death glares to her mother's coughs, trying to make them disappear with her mind.

Her mother froze, trying to get the next words out. A tickle went through which made her cough again. Her eyes went wide as she stood up, rubbing her hands onto her jeans. 

The girl looked up in wonder. "What's wrong mom?" 

Pulling her daughter over to the open chairs, she sat down. Taking a deep breath, she asked, "What would you do if I was no longer here?" She gazed down at her beautiful daughter. 

The girl laughed, nervously. "Mom, what is this about? Of course I'll miss you! Don't say--"

The girl got cut off by her mother. "Honey, please!" She looked deeply at her daughter. Tears filled her eyes. "If I leave tonight, tomorrow, or this Saturday--would you be able to stay with your dad and be happy?" The tears fell down more.

Without any though, the girl wrapped her arms around her mother, becoming frozen by her mother's words. She didn't know what to say, nor what her mother was trying to get at. The girl's heart was pounding and her head started throbbing. From the outside, she could hear the rain starting to fall, and fall... and fall. Just as fast as her mother's tears.

"You promise you'll protect the family, right?" Her mother looked up at her, mascara running down her face.

The girl couldn't say anything, but did manage to ask, "How long is this sickness suppose to last?"

The mother softly sighed. "That's the worst part..."

"Mrs. _____. The doctor is ready to see you." A nurse came out. 

The girl's mother thanked the nurse, grabbing her daughter's hand, and followed the nurse to the doctor's room. 

As they entered, the girl could distinctively hear the raindrops falling onto the roof. They were a tad softer, but not much. She sat, listening to them as they waited for the doctor.

When he finally came, he told the girl to step out of the room. Worried, the girl refused. She gazed at her mother for support, but all her mother did was reassure her that everything would be fine. With an unhappy sigh, the girl stepped out of the room.

Five minutes had passed before she heard a loud thunk from the inside. Before she could turn around, the door swung open and the doctor was yelling for help. "Hurry!!" 

The doctor looked at the girl whose face only showed confusion and worry. "I'm sorry girl, but you have to go into the waiting room." He tried to push her towards the doors.

"No!" The girl cried out. "What's wrong? What's going on with my mother?!" She tried to get passed the doctor. 

Pushing her only more and asking for nurses to help get the girl away, the doctor tried to reassure her. "Nothing! Nothing! She's fine! She's fine!" Turning to the nurses, "Get this girl out of here!"

"Mom! Mom!" The girl yelled. With a little turn, she managed to get a glimpse of her mother before the nurses had a tight hold on her and was pulling her away. 

But as soon as she saw her mother, her body became limp, making it easy for the nurses to carry her away. A blank look fell upon her face as the picture of her mother became embedded into her mind. The once white floor was spotted with crimson while her mother was laying on the floor, covered in red and motionless. Her head was slashed, flowing only more of the crimson color, which fell down her face and into her hair. Her eyes were wide open, fear striking into them.

The nurses settled the girl down and asked if she would be fine, not knowing of what she saw, or if she saw anything. But the girl couldn't move. Shrugging, the nurses left the girl sitting there.

Her eyes made their way toward the window, where she watched as the rain pelted down against the glass.

 

Day 4

The girl stood by the white bed, knowing she had to keep herself from crying. Holding the hand of the person, she sat down on the bed. A text from her cell made her look down. Opening the phone, she read the text.

Is everything okay? You're not at school D:  - Kevin

The girl sighed and smiled.

Yeah, things are okay. Don't worry :) - _____

Her father knocked on the door. "Hey." 

"Hey..." The girl mumbled while her father entered the room with flowers. Her eyes went back to her cell as she received another text. 

"It'll be okay, _____. Your mother is strong like a horse!" Her father assured her. "She survived this long with it, she can survive longer!" 

Placing a smile on her face, hiding her feelings, she remembered the conversation with the doctor and how he told her that her mother had lung cancer, and it was severe. A tear fell, but the girl was quick to wipe it away. Building strength to speak, she asked, "Why didn't mom tell me? Why did she have to keep it from me until now?" Her eyes fell onto her mother.

Ignoring her question, her father asked, "Hey! Since you got out of school today, do you want to go out and grab something to eat and come back?" He pulled his daughter into a hug. 

Nodding, she pushed past the fact that her father completely ignored her question. "Yeah, that sounds nice." She grinned. She looked down at a new text. 

Well, what ever it is, it'll be fine :) See you tomorrow, right? - Kevin

Right - _____

Her father took her hand, but before they left, he nudged her and pointed towards the window. "It's raining."

Freezing, the girl slowly turned to face the window. The images flooded her mind again and it wasn't long before her knees met the floor and her tears flowed down her face.