Dinners and Dates

[Series] Love? Hate!!

Dinners and Dates

 

 

Yoseob was a couple of minutes away from his house when suddenly his phone started ringing - it was the sound of birds chirping. Yoseob stopped in his tracks, stuffing his hand into his jean pockets and fishing out his phone.

 

He looked at the caller ID and for a moment he was confused.

 

'Mr. Grumpy Ahjussi'

 

Yoseob tilted his head, staring at his phone as it continued to sound out chirping noises. Why was Doojoon calling him? Shouldn't he be with Gayoon? His phone must be broken because he was sure that Doojoon was not calling him since he was with someone else at the moment and really - why would Doojoon call him?

 

Yoseob pressed the green button on his phone slowly - his phone was probably broken because there was no way that Doojoon would call, but he still had to answer anyway.

 

"...Yoboseyo?" Yoseob started.

 

"Yah! What took you so long to answer?"

 

Yoseob stopped and looked at his phone. If before he thought his phone was broken then now he thought that maybe his ears were in need of fixing. "Wait... Doojoonah? Is that you?"

 

"Yes of course it’s me - did you not see my name on your screen?? Is that why you took so long to ans-"

 

"No - I mean - You're calling me? Now? Shouldn't you be with Gayoon and her friends?" Yoseob could not care less if Doojoon was annoyed or irritated at him interrupting Doojoon because Yoseob was too confused himself to be able to comprehend everything else.

 

"Aish nevermind that, we can talk about that later. Where are you now?"

 

"Ehh... what? I'm a few blocks away from my house... why?"

 

"I was just wondering if you wanna hang out for a while. It's still kinda early you know"

 

"'Kinda early?'" Yoseob repeated, disbelief laced in his voice. "It's almost 6 in the evening Doojoon. Plus I'm already near my house so-"

 

"I'll buy you dinner? We can eat out."

 

And that was how Yang Yoseob ended up turning around - walking back the way he came even though he was *this close* to reaching home. Because hey, free meals were always worth it.

 

---

 

Yoseob tilted his head, watching Doojoon curiously as the older man grab the beef from the mini grill and place it in the lettuce he was holding. He kept watching as Doojoon added sauce on the piece of meat before proceeding to wrap it in the lettuce. He still kept watching when Doojoon finally stuffed the whole thing in his mouth, grabbing the tongs from the side and flipping the beef on the grill to let the other side cook.

 

"You're staring again" Doojoon mumbled, barely comprehensive due to the lettuce wrap still being chewed in his mouth.

 

Yoseob shrugged, though this was left unseen by Dqoojoon since he was so busy keeping his eyes on the grill. "Ahjussi you eat really well. Like- really really well. Why don't you eat like that at school?"

 

Doojoon blinked, looking up. "What are you talking about? I always eat this well"

 

Yoseob scoffed, rolling his eyes playfully. "Yeah yeah." Doojoon threw a small glare at Yoseob before he noticed the other's own plate. It was empty.

 

"You on the other hand" Doojoon started, picking up a slice of beef from the grill. "Need to eat more. Right now."

 

Yoseob pursed his lips. "I don't need to eat more. Besides I'm not hungry"

 

Instead of answering Doojoon took the beef and did the same procedure as last time - place the beef on the lettuce, add sauce, and wrap. Only this time it did not end up in his mouth. This time he out stretched his hand, holding the lettuce wrap he just made in front of Yoseob. "Here eat this"

 

Yoseob raised a brow at Doojoon. "Yah Grumpy Ahjussi what are you doing"

 

Doojoon shook his hand that held the wrap a little. "Eat. Eat it" he urged, yet Yoseob still kept his mouth shut.

 

Doojoon sighed. "Yoseobah you have not eaten a thing since we arrived. I told you that I was going to buy you dinner but what’s the use of that if I'm the only one eating?"

 

Yoseob kept his gaze locked with Doojoon's, the both of them refusing to go down first. But after a good solid 2 minutes pass with the both of them not moving an inch (how did Doojoon even hold his arm up that long) Yoseob sighed, finally giving in.

 

"Alright fine." Yoseob said, puffing his cheeks as he took the wrap from Doojoon's hands. Doojoon smiled victoriously, going back to manage the beef cooking on the grill.

 

Yoseob opened his mouth wide to stuff the wrap in his mouth, pushing it in all the way with his fingertips. With a light crunch from the lettuce he started chewing - and surprisingly - it tasted good. And it was a bit odd because it was no different from any other wrap he'd made or tasted, but for some reason it tasted better than those. Maybe it was the way Doojoon grilled the beef. Or maybe it was the amount of sauce the Doojoon placed. Or even maybe it was how Doojoon picked which lettuce to use for the wrap. Well whatever Doojoon was doing, to Yoseob it was delicious and he even found some comfort in it.

 

Doojoon grabbed some more lettuce and placed beef in it. "Here. I'll make you more"

 

Yoseob made a face. "I can make my own." Yoseob said that but at the same time he had already taken the newly made wrap from Doojoon's hands and stuffed it into his mouth.

 

Doojoon stared at Yoseob in disbelief, but soon he brushed it off and started to make a new one. Afterall Yoseob seemed to like the way he made his wraps.

 

"Anyway" Yoseob started, grabbing his chopsticks from the side to (finally) make his own food. "Why did you decide to buy me dinner?"

 

"Is it bad to just invite my friend to eat together?"

 

Yoseob paused, beef halfway from going into the lettuce wrap. "...no but.. It’s kinda weird how you offered me to a meal even though you knew I was almost home. Plus I thought you we're supposed to be with Gayoon and her friends?"

 

Doojoon waved his hand dismissively. "None of her friends were there. It was just her."

 

Yoseob's grip on his chopsticks tightened, his expression wavering just a tiny bit - even though he already knew about this fact. His eyes widened slightly, he blinked repeatedly, and even threw in a somewhat confused look and hoped so much that he look surprised. "Oh-wow. Really? Just you two? Is that why you finished early?"

 

Doojoom shrugged. "I guess... after a while I said that I got sleepy and that I wanted to go home."

 

This time Yoseob was honestly confused. "Really? And she was okay with that?"

 

"I dunno... I think so? She just laughed and said its okay"

 

"Oh my god" Yoseob said, leaning back a little and staring at Doojoon as if he was some sort of an alien. "Oh my god Doojoon" Yoseob repeated, but this time more amused and less of disbelief.

 

Doojoon looked slightly offended - or a lot offended - at the look Yoseob was giving him, "What??"

 

Yoseob flashed him an incredulous look. "There is no girl in the world who is jusy okay with a guy leaving them halfway in an attempted date."

 

Doojoon almost choked on the piece of beef he was chewing, his hand grabbing the glass beside him immediately. "Date?? You think it was a date?"

 

Yoseob shrugged, looking away for a moment (because the playful and slightly arrogant look in his eyes trembled just a bit - it was just a bit but he did not want Doojoon to see). "You two were alone together. Technically it is a date"

 

Doojoon placed his glass of water down - after drinking it all in one go. He coughed a bit before he regained his usual composure. "Well, technically her friends were supposed to be there."

 

Yoseob smiled, though it was a small smile and it didn't reach his eyes. "You really have no idea how girls think, do you?"

 

Doojoon glared at him and this time Yoseob did smile - this time his smile made his eyes crinkle with a glint of amusement and his one dimple on the side of his mouth appear because it was just so amusing to see Doojoon glare at him like that.

 

Doojoon glared but he did not answer - he did not reply which meant that Yoseob was right about Doojoon being completely inexperienced with girls.

 

Yoseob burst into laughter, closing his eyes and throwing his head back just a bit. He laughed and some people from other tables glanced at them for a moment, but looked away just as fast. "Oh my god you are so precious" Yoseob said in between his fits of laughter, which only annoyed Doojoon more.

 

After what seemed like forever to Doojoon (and only a moment for Yoseob), the younger man finally calmed down, laughter already gone yet the playfulness still in his smile. "You seriously need more friends Ahjussi, without Junhyungie and the others you’re hopeless."

 

"Yeah, and how about you?" Doojoon retorted, crossing his arms defiantly. "I suppose you have a secret group of your very best friends that you meet with behind my back"

 

"No" Yoseob shook his head softly - reassuringly. Yoseob smiled, "I only have you."

 

Doojoon froze. He stopped whatever he was doing because even his mind stopped working all together. He froze and he looked at Yoseob, and there was something in his smile - there was something and he couldn't tell what it was.

 

Suddenly a thought crossed his mind - one single thought. He opened his mouth, "I-"

 

"Anyway, you better start meeting girls or else you'd end up growing into a old and boring Ahjussi!... though you already are one" Yoseob cut in, and suddenly everything started moving again for Doojoon. His mind started functioning again and the bustling noise from the restaurant returned. Yoseob's smile from earlier was now gone and replaced with a mischievous smirk.

 

"And you have to stop being so damn annoying Yang Yoseob" Doojoon retorted, muttering lowly.

 

"Eyy... but I'm being serious" Yoseob whined, puffing his cheeks. "Just try spending time with Gayoon, see how it feels like"

 

Doojoon made a face. "Yah what are you - are you my matchmaker now?"

 

Yoseob grinned cheekily, and Doojoon resisted to throw a chopstick at his face (or maybe he just chose not to - he didn't want to hurt Yoseob anyway)

 

---

 

Yoseob closed the door to his bedroom, and once he was finally cut off from the world - from everything - he sighed, leaning on the door behind him.

 

After eating dinner, with Doojoon paying the bill, Doojoon had offered to walk him home. Yoseob refused ("I'm not a kid, I won't get lost or anything") but Doojoon insisted ("its dark. The streets are dangerous at night Yoseobah. There could be drug dealers or some thugs waiting to jump at you in the night") but in the end - after much persuasion - Doojoon finally let Yoseob go home by himself.

 

Yoseob closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

 

No. I only have you.

 

Yoseob felt his knees weaken, and slowly he slid down to the ground, until he sat with his head buried in his knees as he leaned on the door.

 

He smiled to himself, hands going up to cover his face. His smile was weak, unsure, and when he talked his voice trembled.

 

"I'm so stupid"

 

-------

A/N: *dumps you with fluff then adds a dash of angst at the end hAH--*