Under the Bandage

[Series] Love? Hate!!

Under the Bandage

 

 

Yoseob opened his eyes.

 



It was quiet... Unnervingly quiet. He looked around and saw a bunch of other beds beside him, which was all empty. He tried to steady his breathing – only now did he realize how heavy and unsteady his breathing was. He was confused as to where he was but then he suddenly remembered –

 



The pension.

 



Yoseob closed his eyes and gave out a breath.

 



The school outing.

 



"Yoseob?" Yoseob opened his eyes at the voice, looking around and only now did he see Junhyung beside his bed, sitting on a chair. Junhyung gave out a huge sigh of relief when he saw Yoseob look at him.

 



"Junhyung...?"

 



"Thank God you're awake" Yoseob blinked in confusion.

 



"Awake... What do you...?" Yoseob trailed off when suddenly he remembered what happened before he found himself in his bed.

 

 

His grip on the bed sheets beneath him trembled.

 



"How long was I out..?" Yoseob asked instead, voice hushed as if he was afraid to any louder. His head still ached a bit, but he tried to ignore it as he sat up.

 



"For around an hour or so" Junhyung answered, "I don't know what happened... The four of us saw Doojoon rush over to you when and we followed. Doojoon carried you on his back all the way here while Hyunseung ran to call the teacher. They came after a while with a nurse... She said you fainted probably from exhaustion." Yoseob looked away biting his lip as Junhyung explained.

 



Junhyung noticed the guilt on the others eyes but he chose to ignore it. Junhyung chuckled, shaking his head. "You should have seen how panicked Doojoon was" Yoseob's eyes shot up to him. "What?"

 



"He was worried about you, but he had a funny way of showing it" Junhyung started, "He would snap at everyone else and start nitpicking over everything and complain about ever other little thing like the room being too cold and stuffy and the pillows being too hard... But we all knew he was doing it because of you"

 



Yoseob's eyes widened. "Me...?"

 



"Of course. Why else would he complain about those things? It was to make you more comfortable"

 



Yoseob was quiet after that, the new found information still processing in his mind. He looked back up at Junhyung. "Where....?" He trailed off.

 



"There all eating dinner in the bottom floor. Doojoon opted to stay but he was in such a bad mood that I was afraid he would be able to look after you right" Junhyung shook his head, a small smile playing at his lips.

 



 "I... I see" Yoseob said softly, looking down. "Thanks for staying with me. You should go eat dinner with the rest"

 



"You sure? I could wait until they've arrived"

 



Yoseob shook his head. "It's okay I'm fine now" Yoseob looked at Junhyung and managed a smile in front of him. Junhyung sighed.
 

 


"They'll be here soon" Junhyung said, smiling reassuringly at Yoseob. He stood up and made his way to the door. "You sure you won't come with me?"

 



"I'm sure. I'm not hungry anyway"

 



Junhyung hesitated to go but seeing Yoseob's smile made him believe that the latter really was okay.

 



Once Junhyung left Yoseob gave out a long, tired sigh, bringing his legs up to his chest and burying his face in them.

 


---

 


Outside Junhyung was making his way down the stairs when he heard footsteps approaching him, signaling that someone else was climbing up the stairs. It was only when their paths met that Junhyung realized that it was Doojoon who was climbing the stairs.
 

 


Doojoon saw him and instead of a warm greeting Doojoon's eyes narrowed into a glare. "Yah" he started, "What are you doing not staying with Yoseob? I told you I shou–"
 

 


"Relax" Junhyung said, not affected in any way from the other's death glare. "Yoseob's awake now. He said I could go"
 

 


Doojoon's eyes widened. He was about to hurry to their room when he felt the weight of Junhyung's hand stop him on his shoulder.
 

 


"Doojoon, please…. Be careful. I don't know what happened, but he seems pretty shaken and I don't think your nagging will help at all" Junhyung's tone was flat when he relayed the piece of information to Doojoon. Junhyung removed his hand from the other's shoulder, heading down the stairs without waiting for his response.

 



Doojoon stood still for a moment, staring down at the ground. He thought about what Junhyung had said before he shrugged, making his way up the stairs.

 



He tried to remember everything that had happened an hour ago but it all felt like a blur now. One moment he was looking up watching the fireworks light up the sky then the next moment he was wrapping his hands around Yoseob to keep him from falling. Thinking back to it, he wasn't sure on what he was feeling that time. He remembered the panicked that kicked in when he saw Yoseob in that state. But when he was carrying Yoseob on his back, when he placed him on his bed, when he constantly paced back and forth when he waited for the nurse to finish checking up on him... His mind was still reeling over those moments. What did he feel? Anxious? Worried? Scared? Whatever he felt, he did not like the feeling at all.

 



The feeling that he couldn't do anything at all to help. He hated it.

 



Doojoon stood in front of the door to their room. His hand hovered over the door knob, and for a moment he hesitated to open it. He took a deep breath, grabbing the knob and turning it, entering the room.

 



Yoseob's head snapped up when he heard the door open. He tensed up the moment he saw Doojoon enter. He smiled, looking at the older. "Hi Doojoonah"

 



But Doojoon took none of it. He looked at Yoseob with a hard expression on his face. "Don't just 'Hi Doojoonah' me. What was that?"

 



Yoseob's smile faded – knowing that Doojoon was referring to what happened an hour ago – and Doojoon immediately regretted his harsh tone. Yoseob bit his lip, looking away. "I heard you were the one who carried me... I'm sorry"

 



Doojoon sighed, "It was nothing". He moved from the entrance of the door where he stood awkwardly to the chair that Junhyung sat on. He took a seat on the chair, looking at Yoseob. "Anyway never mind that. Now come here let me change your bandage"

 



"What?" Yoseob said, caught off guard as Doojoon pulled out a first aid kit that apparently he had been holding this whole time and Yoseob just failed to see it until now.

 



Doojoon opened the kit. "You should now that it is best to keep wounds clean, which means changing bandages is necessary if you want your bruise to go away". Doojoon kept his eyes locked in the box as he rummaged through its contents to find what he was looking for.
 

 


"I know that" Yoseob retorted, his brows knotted with confusion as his eyes followed Doojoon hand as he brought out some cotton balls, medicine used to clean wounds and a new set of bandages. "But I'm pretty sure I can do that myself"

 



Doojoom shook his head. "You're a klutz. Plus, in your state right now you'll probably end up with an even worse off bruise than before"

 



Yoseob stopped to look at Doojoon with a slightly offended look on his face. "Doojoon that's mean. Just let me do it my–"

 



Doojoon grabbed Yoseob's wrist, pulling him forward until Yoseob's face was inches from his. Yoseob's eyes widened, a slight tinge of red coming to his cheeks. Doojoon let go of his wrist and rolled his eyes. "Stop whining and let me do it already"
 

 


Doojoon reached his hand forward, touching the bandage at Yoseob's face. He felt Yoseob tense up at his touch, but when the younger remained silent and unmoving Doojoon figured that he had the permission to continue. It was quiet as Doojoon gently gripped at the edge of the bandage, his knuckles brushing over Yoseob's cheeks. Yoseob stared at Doojoon with wide eyes, yet in those shock filled eyes there was something else – trust. He trusted Doojoon to know what he was doing and to do it without hurting him, so he let Doojoon slowly peel off the bandage off his skin. It hurt, but as soon as he did register the pain the bandage was already gone.
 

 


Doojoon stared at the place where the bandage used to be. It was hard to tell what he was thinking as he opened his mouth to talk – yet no sound came out.

 


"You... You said it was only a bruise" Doojoon said, looking into Yoseob's eyes.

 



Yoseob bit his lip, finally looking away from Doojoon.

 



It was not a bruise. It was a cut. It was long – from the top of the cheek sloping diagonally down to the  bottom – and it looked deep, judging on how red the skin was around it.

 



"Bruise. Cuts. They're all the same aren't they?" Yoseob answered faintly, shrugging softly as he kept his eyes glued to the wall.

 



"No they are not" Doojoon answered in disbelief. "Just how exactly did you fall this morning to get a cut like that?!"

 



Yoseob pursed his lips, "How should I know?" Yoseob looked back at Doojoon. "Like you said, I'm just clumsy"
 

 


Doojoon glared softly at Yoseob. He grabbed a cotton ball and lightly dabbed it with the medicine. "Being a klutz is not an excuse for getting cuts like that." Yoseob gasped as he felt Doojoon hold his chin with the tips of his fingers gently. His touch was soft and gentle despite the slight glare he was wearing. "Hold still now while I clean your cut"

 



It was quiet as Doojoon slowly wiped the cotton ball against the wound. It was quiet but it was a comforting kind of silence. Yoseob winced when Doojoon pressed on the ball slightly, making Doojoon stop his movements entirely. "Sorry" he said, "Does it hurt?"

 



Yoseob shook his head. "Just a little... But it's okay"

 



They continued in silence – surrounded only by the faint light of the moon sweeping through the windows – until Doojoon had finished, gently pressing the sides of the new bandage. Doojoon suddenly leaned back, closing the first aid kit and placing it beside him somewhere. Yoseob felt at loss for a moment when he felt Doojoon's fingers slide off his face. He took a deep breath, trying to regain his composure. He sat back up as well. "Thank you" he said softly, glancing at Doojoon.

 



But Doojoon did not reply, there were too many things going on in his mind right now to answer Yoseob. Yoseob noticed Doojoon's brows knotting slightly in distress and he couldn't help but feel a little bit concerned. "Doojoon?"

 



"First you get a cut" Doojoon started, "Then you fainted while we were in the beach. Then you were out for around an hour. Yang Yoseob what is this all about?"

 



Yoseob's eyes widened. He looked down at his hands. "I..." He opened his mouth and closed it again. He didn't know how to say it – or if he should say it at all. He didn't want to let anyone know. So instead he decided to say something else... A small lie wouldn't hurt anyone anyways.

 



"I... I wasn't feeling well... I'm sorry. I should have said sooner when my head started aching" Yoseob said, looking away from Doojoon.

 



The moment Yoseob had said that Doojoon felt something tug at his heart. And it hurt. He felt hurt but still he stay composed as he stood up, training his face to hold no emotion whatsoever. He tried to keep his voice steady.

 



"Apparently you don't trust me enough to tell me what really happened"

 



Yoseob gasped, looking up at Doojoon in a flash as his eyes widened. "No Doojoon you don't under–"

 



"No... No That's alright don't tell me" Doojoon's tone was sarcastic and bitter as he turned away from Yoseob. He stood up, making his way to the empty bed beside Yoseob.

 



"By the way that is my bed that you're lying on. But you don't have to get up I'll sleep in yours instead"

 



Yoseob was quiet. He didn't know what to say. But then suddenly Doojoon talked and the tone in Doojoon's voice infuriated Yoseob – it angered him because it made it sound like he was the one to blame. That it was his fault and he should be the one to feel guilty, to feel sorry and bad. And before he knew it he was already snapping back at Doojoon.
 

 


"How can I trust you" Doojoon pause when he heard Yoseob talk behind him. "When all you’ve ever done to me was be mean to me and blame me for everything."

 



Doojoon tensed up for a moment, but it went unnoticed because of the dim light in the room. He didn't answer Yoseob, instead he got on the bed – Yoseob's bed – and into the sheets. He closed his eyes, attempting to sleep. He was facing away from the Yoseob while Yoseob as well lied to to face away from him.

 



It was the first time Doojoon heard Yoseob talk like that – his tone so harsh and unforgiving – and his heart dropped when he realized that it was directed at him.

 

 

---

A/N: Hello everyone ^ w ^)/

I think I owe everyone an apology for not udating in a month....... mianhe everyone!!! ;n;

School's started last month and since then I haven't been able to even open this website OTL

But rest assured I won't be abandoning this fic ^ u ^)~ 

Anyways hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!

and sorry for the fail angst at the end