Family.

Beneath The Surface

Dara POV

It's been a couple of day's since the incident at Chaerin's place. It still bothers me when I try to sleep at night. What exactly did happen amongst Chaerin's family? I've managed to leave Chaerin alone since then, I understand she needs time to herself. Chaerin hasn't been herself lately. She come to school leaves and goes homes. She is like a walking corpse. Chaerin has neglected her group of friends As a result Bom has taken over as leader temporarily. I sense they they are aware the the true leader is not doing so well lately. Sigh what can I do? I want to do more for Chaerin these days, I want to understand her. I think about Chaerin now more than usual. I'm not sure if it's for the best or the worst. Anyhow I'm in class right now staring outside the window thinking of ways to help Chaerin. I am startled horribly by a booming voice.

"SANDARA PARK!" Please pay attention, don't think for one second that you can get away with being profoundly disraught." Mr.Choi gives me an annoyed glance.

He goes on to complain that I am slowly losing interest and have no recollection of what he had just taught. Wrong, he cannot be farther from the truth I know precisely what is happening. I listen but I don't grace his work with the gazing of my eyes. Mr. Choi babbles on till the bell rings and we are excused to lunch. I stand in line grabbing my lunch for the day. I walk out into the rows of tables. At one table I see Minzy sitting by herself, she doesn't even look at me as I pass by. Minzy is still upset with me despite my attempts to make up with her. I see Chaerin sitting alone at another table. Bom and the rest of Chaerin's gang walk up to her but Chaerin waves them away. They walk away in defeat looking back at their depressed leader. They're a mean bunch but they sure are loyal. I decide to eat beside Chaerin. I slowy pull out the chair beside Chaerin who has her head on the table. 

"I thought I told you guys to leave me alone" Chaerin rises her head slowly clearly agitated.

"Uh hi?" I give a weak smile and a tiny wave.

"Oh uh it's you? Sorry about that, I thought it was Bom and them." Chaerin looks at me and then darts her eyes to the floor.

"Uh soo is it ok if I sit here? I mean I can leave if thats what uhhh... you want ya know?" I grab my stuff rising from my seat.

"No please stay I can tolerate you Shrimpy" Chaerin sits me back down in the chair.

"Are you sure?" I look at her questioning her Behavior.

"Yes Shrimpy." Chaerin locks eyes with me. We lock eyes, I've never noticed the distinct shape Chaerin's eyes were. Like little almonds.. 

"So uh what's up Chaerin how have you been?" I break eye contact grabbing my sandwich.

"Shhh! I told you to call me CL at school remember?" Chaerin's eyes grow frantic as if she's going to panic, I laugh,

"Hahaha ooooh right ok CL anything for you!" I laugh and she giggles softly with me.

"CL, what are you doing after school? Anything special?" 

"No, just going home the usual" Chaerin folds her arms on the table and places her head in them. I grow quiet. How miserable must it be to continually come home to an empty house. No parents asking how your day went. No one to greet you besides Mr. Kim. Being alone and absolutely miserable... Then an idea pops into my head.

"Hey Chae?" I nudge her softly.

"Mmmm?" Chaerin has her eyes closed trying to rest.

"Would you like to come to dinner at my house today? I'd love to have you as a guest!" Chaerin pops her head up.

"A guest at Shrimpy's? What are you plotting against me?" I laugh.

"Nothing I swear, please come" I give Chaerin my best pleading eyes.

"Ok I'll come but only cause you asked so nicely and I love free food" 

"Ok great see you after school!" The bell rings just in time I wave by to Chaerin as I make my way to PE. I serve out the rest of my school day anticipating going home with Chaerin. At last the day ends and I walk outside, I see Chaerin standing by her lamborghini in the parking lot. Chaerin spots me walking towards the car.

"Ahhh finally get in Shrimpy!" We both get in and wait for the flood of cars behind us to disperse. Chaerin drives smoothly to my house. Once we arrive I walk Chaerin up the steps to my house. 

"Welcome Chaerin!" I say as I open the door widely letting her in. Chaerin looks around carefully eyeing everything. 

"Omo Shrimpy you have lots of strange things in your house. Strange but good."

"C'mon I'll show you my room!" I grab Chaerin's wrist pulling her slowly towards my room. Chaerin let's out a gasp once we enter. As we enter we are surrounded by a cascade of bright colors and various Rilakkuma toys.

"These colors...bleh I don't like them very much. But this..." Chaerin hold up the Kkuma doll.

"I like this, I must acquire one" Chaerin curiously hold it then hugs it close to her. I immediate search for the biggest Kkuma and hand it to her.

"Here now you have one of your very own!" I smile handing it to her. Chaerins eyes mimic a feeling of disbelief.

"Dara.. are you sure? Uh thank you" Chaerin grabs the bear blushing softly.

"I will cherish this gift well"

I'm sure you will Chaerin" I walk towards her unaware of my actions and I hug her. At first she does not hug me back but slowly I feel her arms move across my back embracing me. We hug for what seems like forever till I hear my mom call for us.

"Oh Dara!" I let go of Chaerin and motion for her to follow me. We enter the kitchen and the table is set and a delicious meal has been served. My mom walks over to us.

"Why hello there Chaerin! Excuse our late introduction, I was in the kitchen getting dinner ready. I hope you don't mind!" My mother extends her hand out to Chaerin.

"Not at all, it's a pleasure to meet you" Chaerin smiles.

"Oh yeah Chae this is my brother and this is my sister!" In unison the three say hi. Looking a bit flustered I motion for Chaerin to sit beside me at the table. I can see this family setting is affecting Chaerin. Chaerin seems to be doing well though. We eat as my family asks Chaerin some questions. Eventually as dinner winds down we help clean up and then my siblings and mother excuse themeselves for the night.

"Now Chae if you want to spend the night here I am perfectly ok with that" My mom nods at us and walks down the corridor.

"Goodnight girls!" 

"Goodnight" Chaerin and I say together.

"C'mon Chae lets go back to my room" Once more we enter my room.

"Did you enjoy dinner Chae?"

"Yes I did, I feel like I remember what it means to have family. Thank you." Chaerin gives me a look of sincerity.

"You're welcome Chaerin. We should probably sleep though... Do you want to sleep in my bed?" I walk over to my bed pulling back the covers waiting for her response. 

"I suppose so are we building a fort between us?" Chaerin walks over to my bed.

"You may build forts at your house but I don't really do that" I hop into bed and Chae plops in next to me. 

"Ok, Ok well goodnight Shrimpy" 

"Goodnight" Right before turning out the light I look at Chaerin laying next to me in bed. I notice a bulge under the blanket as she shifts in her slumber I realize what the bulge is. Chaerin is hugging Rilakkuma close to her, I smile. Even the bad girl has a soft side. I smile even wider as I turn out the lights.

*A/N* Sorry for the really late update but school has kept me busy! I will try to update when I can. Please comment and upvote. I am open to suggestions what would you like to see? Anyways thank you guys as always!