Worth.

Beneath The Surface

/ 1 day till prom/

One day, I think. One day is all I have. Chaerin relaxed in an armchair sipping her tea staring out the massive windows of her bedroom. I've never seen her so at ease amidst all the chaos we have endured to campaign for our spots on the royal court. I gently pick up the polaroid near her bedside and sneakily walk towards her, camera behind my back. Once I am near her I snap a quick picture of her. I can tell I have startled her.

"Aish! Dara do you have to do that after the sun has been already blaring at my face for the past hour." I sigh deeply and put the camera down and throw the film on the floor. Chaerins face changes as I crawl into her lap. I curl up placing my head in her navel.

"Dara, what's wrong?" 

"I'm worried" 

"Worried about what?" Chaerins stare intensifies but I keep my eyes fixed on the film on the floor just wondering, Just wallowing in my own thoughts, in my own emotions.

"C'mon baby whats wrong?"

I perk my head up and I just let a tear roll down.

"Doesn't it feel like we haven't done enough? All the tormenting from Claire we've recieved. All the agony all for what? Two plastic crowns that everyone will forget about in two weeks? Maybe we should give up."

Chaerin is enraged, I can tell by the rapid rises of her chest.

"Dara no! This is about more than that, this is about standing up for what you believe in. What we're a part of! We must be brave in the midst of our opressors!"

"CHAERIN PLEASE, just stop." At this I get up from her lap and go to the bathroom. I start getting undressed, maybe a quick shower will let me relax.

"Dara, you're not mad about that are you?" Chaerin leans against the door frame watching me get undressed. I stand there not responding knowing it's driving her mad. 

"Dara please, if you are mad with me about something just say it! I want to make things right you know I wouldn't hurt you"

"But you already did" I say as I step into the shower and close the curtain between us. But not before seeing chaerins face and posture convey utter panic. I turn the water on and let it run. I let tears escape and just close my eyes. I try to make a pattern out of the water hitting my face.

"When Dara? When did I hurt you" I don't reply I just cancel out the sound. Nothing there is nothing, just silence. Suddenly the curtain is drawn back at lightning speed.

"Dara, when?" I find my feelings going into an array, I quickly turn of the shower and grab the nearest robe. 

"I'll tell you when.." I find my sadness clawing its way to anger but not quite gettting fully enraged.

"When you made me do what I did to Minzy." I pause.

"When I saw her there with Claire that day... that is not the Minzy I knew."

"That Minzy was created by the pain I gave her. From the stupid games you made me play with you" I push Chae out of the way, she knocks into a mirror hanging on the wall. It falls and shatters into a million reflecting pieces. I look at them and I look at myself. Several images of myself reflecting of each piece. Each looking more like a monster than the next.

"Dara we've talked about that aren't we good?"

"NO! Ok you don't seem to care do you? Did you not hear what I said? There was a girl with life, there was a girl who was so sweet. We created that girl we saw just a few days ago. I miss my friend Chae. Or did you just erase my life prior to you because your the only thing I should ever be focusing on." 

"You know what, find your own ing date to prom cause I'm not going with you"

"Dara what about our campaign? Everything we worked for?" Chaerin grabs my hand but I yank it away.

"Maybe you could show it to Bom sometime." I give her an emotionless glare and begin to walk myself out of the house.

"LEEEE" I scream.

"Yes Ms. Dara?" Lee stands there wide eyed probably wondering why I am drenched and only wearing a bath robe.

"Take me home." Lee nods and brings the car around. He then holds the door open and I get in. Chaerin races towards the car but I tell Lee to go and we're off. I open the mini bar compartment in the back and pull out Chaerins expensive vodka. I pour myself a cup.

"Cheers I whisper to myself" Eventually I drfit off into a slumber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dara?"......"Dara? Are you awake?" I am being nudged. Hmm I feel warm, soft blankets. WHAT THE HELL?

I get up panicked to find my mother staring at me in disbelief.

"What even, Dara honey what the hell are you doing?"

"Nothing mom just nothing" I examine myself and find that I am wearing pajamas.

"Mom did my prom gown come in yet?"

"Yes honey I put it in your closet and your corsages came in as well" I wince and show no emotion.

"Ok, say can you leave me alone for a little?" My mom is agitated with me but she leaves anyways.

Once she leaves I inspect my dress, A beautiful black gown, floor length as usual. Lace winds itself down the dress, a beautiful entanglement of mystery. I then walk over to the box holding the corsages. There are two corasges, both white. When we discussed color coordinating we disagreed since we kept our gowns a secret from each other. I place the box back down and list my course of action for tomorrow. I have to go get my hair and makeup done first then I have to come back to put the gown on and put on my last minute charms. Sigh, so much all for nothing. I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling until I hear a knock at the door.

"Dara Honey something has come for you" I sit up and glance at the clock. 11:30 pm. A little light to be recieving things isn't it? Instantly I know this is the work of Chaerin. I open my bedroom and take the gift from my mom. 

"Thank you mama."

"No problem good night honey!"

"Night" I lock the door as I close it and sit on my bed holding the gift. A white box with a thick red ribbon hugging it tightly. I let the ribbon fall loose as I pull on end. Slowly I open the box first there is a note.

"To my love" Yuck.

I open the smaller compartment and there are the most dazzling earrings I've ever seen. 

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk Chae, you can't buy my damn love. I toss them into the trash. I start heading towards my bed when I am confronted by several rilakkumas. I take them all and throw them to the opposite side of the room. I lay there with just my covers and lonely pillow. What will tomorrow bring. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/ PROM DAY /

It's here, we're here. I catch myself... I am here. I stare at myself in the mirror. I look at hot mess. But I won't after I go to my styling appointment. Another gift this morning has come. A letter informing me that my own chaffeur will be coming around 6 to take me to prom, what a treat. Chaerin has been blowing up my phone. Telling me how much she loves me, how much she adores me. But I see myself and I see her for the people we have become. Who's to say we can come back from this. I feel so dead inside. Like something was torn from me. Who was I before? Can I get back to where I was? It doesn't matter does it? I'm going to get my hair done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She did a beautiful job. My hair is beautifully curled. Heavenly draped to one side. The makeup really completes the look as I opted for a dark smokey eye with gold on the inner lid. A powerful highlight cuts my cheeks and I feel like an ancient goddess. Well figuratively like a statue that reflects light. That is what I look like. I step into my dress and do a complete 360 in the mirror. I feel pretty, while my inside feel ugly. I smile for once just to make myself feel good. I begin to put a single feather in my hair. I grab my corsage from the set and place it on my wrist. I debate leaving it on because it's techinically supposed to be for those with actual dates. Where is my date? But I leave it on, so no one can say anything and pry into my life when I am there. I then find myself missing something but what...I glance over at the trash.

No dara. Don't. 

My body neglects my mind and walks to the trash pulling out the familiar white box. I stand looking into the case almost allowing myself to cry. No! the makeup took hours to perfect. I hold my tears back as I reluctantly put on the earrings. I look at myself again in the mirror. Stunning. I hear a knock at the door, I head over and answer it. It's Mr.Lee.

"Wow, Dara you are beautiful today! Anyways I am here to you to prom on behalf of Chaerin's wishes." 

"Just one second let me get my stuff" My heart starts racing cause I know when I get there I will see her. I can feel her from here. Almost a choking force, leaving me breathless. I grab my clutch and cell phone and follow Mr. Lee to the car. A luxurious car, how like Chae. I climb inside and find a new note by Chae.

"Always" I read it again, one word. Infinite meaning to the right person. I just stick it back where I found it and try to calm myself as my thoughts race back and forth. Creating a flurry. I sit there for what seems like eternity but when I check the clock has only been about 10 minutes. Eventually I feel the car slow and Mr.Lee opens my door. 

"Here we are Ms.Dara I hope this night is truly spectacular" I smile even though I feel like .

"Thank you Mr.Lee for everything, I mean that" He just smiles and nods. He gets in the car and deserts me at the opening, already people are asking for a valid ticket. I present the ticket to them and they let me in. This year our school was able to book a very elegant hotel for our commencement. A grand stairwell leads to the upper level which has the restrooms and another dancing area. There is so much space to get lost in. I love it. I stand there scanning through groups of friends not realizing how alone I truly am. I try to make the best however. Across the room I am able to spot Claire and Minzy apparently spiking the punch. I am stunned by how nice those two managed to clean up. Claire wearing the most beautiful gown, while Minzy is sporting a navy blue gown. They are beautiful. I sit down in a chair out of their view but almost immediately I am approached by a random boy I've never seen.

"Why are you sitting pretty lady c'mon and dance with me" He puts his hand out for me. 

"Oh what the hell" I take his hand and he leads me to the floor. Unfortunately the song goes from a very dancey tune to a slow dance song. With no choice I put my arms around him and we sway back and forth. I close my eyes until I hear the chatter disappear completely. I open my eyes to see everyone fixed on one point. I turn and I see her. And her... is gorgeous. Chaerin descends from the top of the stairs.Chaerins gown is very white, an extremely brave move which is balanced by her red. Her gown consists of a halter top with a floor length skirt which allows her to show off her perfect midriff. Her midriff reflects in the light. She wears a red fur scarf to match the red underbottoms of her white louboutins. I can hear my heart in my ears getting louder and louder. Her blond cascade in a high ponytail with two loose strands in the front. My heart skips a beat and I realize I am beginning to panic being in her prescence. I excuse myself quickly from the random guy I was with. 

Quickly I move out of Chaerins line of sight and make my way to the restroom. I lock myself int a stall and start dry heaving, After several minutes of this I calm myself down enough to be able to go back out to the dancefloor. I am intercepted by Minzy and Claire. 

"Wow shrimpy you look better today than you ever will" Claire and MInzy snicker simultaneously.

"Why look good if you won't have an award to accept? Me and Minzy have been campaigning while you and your loser girlfriend have been fighting?" I step back alarmed that they know we were fighting. 

"We're not fighting, I don't know where you heard that." I cross my arms in a defensive stance.

"Heard? We didn't have to hear it, you guys didn't even show up together. Way to give yourselves away." 

"And take that stupid corsage off we all know Chaerin didn't wear her's since you guys aren't even here as dates" Clarie trys to rip the corsage off my wrist.

"I am," That voice I know that voice. I am swept of my feet as I smell her smell. That smell, so comforting so familiar. I love it, I am entranced. Chaerin comes beside me and put her hand out. There it is an identical corsage.

What? How? If they were delivered to me?? Dumbfounded Claire and Minzy just puff up their noses and leave. Then it's just me and Chaerin. Chaerin turns to me and I avoid looking her in the eyes. I can't she's so undeniably gorgeous. 

"Dara"

"Chae stop" I turn around and walk away. Chae doesn't chase me I think she knows I need my space. And I do, I feel the rage creeping into my mind. I make my way to the punch and pour myself a drink. I drink two sips before remembering that the punch os spiked. I place it down and join the group of random people dancing. For a moment I am completely lost and several minutes go by before the music stops and the administration grabs a hold of the mic.

"Eveyone, Everyone."

"The time has come...to announce this years king and queen, I have the cards here in my hand" Minzy and Claire give eachother a very suspicious look. "Let's not waste everyones time let's get down to it"

"Our king for this year is......." I hold my breath.

"Oh correct me our first queen is Lee Chaerin as our "king" " The crowd gets into a frenzy and Minzy and Claire throw a tantrum. Chaerin smiles and walks up to the stage. A velvet crown gets places on her head.

"Our real queen to join Ms.Lee is....."

"Park Sandara" I am frozen, simply frozen.

"Park Sandara? Are you here?" I unfreeze as people tap me and push me towards the stage. There I am standing next to Chaerin as the crown gets placed on my head. 

"There you have it folks! OUR 1st EVER LGBT COUPLE TO DOMINATE THE PROM ROYALTY COURT" The crowd erupts into cheers.

"As tradition goes, king and queen, or in this case our queens will share a solo dance" I turn extremely red as Chaerin turn to me. She extends her hand out and I gently place mine in hers. She leads me off the stage to the middle of everyone. A single dim spotlight beaming on up. A slow song begins to play in the background. She kisses one of my hands.

"Lovely Dara" She puts my hands on the back of her neck and she puts her hands on my waist bringing me closer to her, Closing any gap between up. I have no choice now but to stare at her face into those eyes. Eyes I know, eyes I love. I feel my cheeks getting rosy and Chaerin notices. She begins to smile but stops herself to make me feel comfortable.

"I see you liked my gift she motions her eyes towards my earrings" She smiles and her eyes grow smaller. All that makeup make them look smaller than they are, I love it.

:"It would have been a shame to not wear them" I say trying not to show emotion. Even though I feel massive butterflies in my stomach. Everyone is staring at us. I know what they're thinking.

"They want us to kiss" Chaerin whispers to me.

"I know" I say in return staring at the floor.

Chaerin tilts my head towards her at first I resist and point it away. The audience chatters alarmed by this. I can't have them think we did all this just to fall apart. So I allow Chaerin to tilt it on her second attempt. Her lips are red, all I see is red. I red of her scarf, The red of her soles. If her perfume were a color it would be red too. I am seduced. She tilts my head and slowly leans in. Allowing our lips to brush at first, soft, heavenly. What a tease, I find myself wanting this one kiss, She comes in smoothly and I feel like a firework bursting into the sky. It feels like the first time, It feels like the best times. The audience cheers and they join us on the dance floor. Quickly Chaerin pulls away leaving me in my fantasty. 

I am so captivated in this moment. I grab Chaerins hand and lead her to the bathroom. I then hurl her into a stall and hold a finger to her lips. I hold her head and kiss her softly. This soon transforms into a very aggressive make out session.

"Mmm Dara are we good?" Chaerin manages to get out in between intervals of breathes. 

"No." I say quickly I move her hands to grip my thighs under my dress. Chaerin does not say anything to my response and feels me up. I begin to her under her skirt and I feel the edges of her stockings. She knows these are my favorites. I find myself getting hot and bothered, But I come to my senses all too soon. I pull away abruptly and see chaerins skin and neck adorned with red lipstick marks. I too find myself covered in red stains. I open the door of the stall and find Minzy and Claire standing there a pitcher of punch in their hands. 

"How lovely the school lesbos being hoes in the bathroom" They stare at me then at chaerin behind me.

"If you two are so thirsty maybe you should have a drink" They chuck one pitcher on me and another at Chaerin. They dart right after but I look back at Chaerin and the punch has left bold red stains all over her dress. I fortunately have a black gown so the stains won't show but I am drenched. Chaerin grabs my arm and announces we're going home. I can tell she is angry but she is holding it in. We walk outside and see the car has already pulled up we climb in. No words between us. I know she is trying to not bother me. She wants to wait till I clear her back into my life. When we get in she holds my hand caressing it with her thumb,Our hands overlap and our corsages look beautiful together, I allow her to hold my hand. I am comforted by this. We arrive to my house swiftly and she lets go of my hand. I am about to open the door to let myself out when she calls for me.

"...Dara.."

"Yes?"

"Can I have one more kiss?" She says it so lightly it is almost like she is whispering. I look at her, y as hell, even with her hair collapsing due to all the acivity. Even with her makeup smudging at the edges. I sit on the edge and decide. I draw myself near her and pull her close. Once again that perfume scent takes me to nirvana, I kiss her once feeling it deeply.

"yes"  Chae gives a weak smile I can tell she is exhausted.

"I know you still need time Dara. Tell me when and I'll be back for you. My heart will always be on hold for you." I edge my way out and nod at her. What can I say to that? Nothing, I am speechless. 

"Goodnight Dara"

"Goodnight Chae"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* HELLO everyone! I am back from the grave! hahah did you like this development? I thought it was interesting enough and I had fun writing it. Let me know down below even if you absolutely hate it. Who know's I might make a remake of this chapter to fulfill your little hearts. I'm sorry I took so long to come back but life seduces me like Chae seduces Dara lol. Anyways if your new and you dig my story subscribe. Also upvote and comment your thoughts I am very open to both love and hate so don't hesistate. Thank you as always for reading!