Priorities.

Beneath The Surface

Sigh.. the inevitable has happened to me. I,Sandara Park, have been partnered up with none other than Chaerin Lee. I cringe at the thought of spending time with her. Meanwhile in class, everyone begins to talk in an organized frenzy. Apparently everyone is looking for Chaerin's slip, yup you guessed it not only does she have a bad rep...she's also extremely popular. A rather handsome but bothersome boy comes over to me and peers at me. 

"Hey Dara...sooo how's it going?" I roll my eyes at him.

"What do you want Jiyong go away." I push him slightly away. He grins and slide closer.

"So I kinda heard you got Chaerin is that true? Maybe we can have a little trade? Cause listen I got a mad crush on her, she's a total babe." Jiyong smiles brightly and his lip holding up his slip of paper in an offering. Looking around for the teacher I turn quickly towards him.

"Fine then but let's do this quickly before the teacher comes!" Jiyong smiles and is about to hand me his slip when suddenly..

"SANDARA PARK! Do NOT trade. I would expect better from you since you are at the top of your class. I've placed directions for a reason! Jiyong you get detention! Sandara you get a warning since we all know how Jiyong can be." Jiyong narrows his eyes towards Mrs.Jung. Slowly he crumples his slip in his fist and turns around to walk back to his desk.

"Now class we will commence with our activity straight after school the other students have already been informed, it is your job to introduce yourselves and get to know them. Any Questions? ...No? Ok then class is dismissed. I rush out of the room and Minzy chases me.

"Dara wait! Slow down!" Minzy grabs my arm and I yank it away. Minzy looks at me with questioning eyes.

"Sorry, I'm just still really annoyed that I got Chaerin. The person who bullies me every chance she gets. How am I expected to learn about her? I'm not sure I would even like to know what goes on in that mind." Just as I finish Chaerin and her clique walk down the halls.

"Speak of the devil" Chaerin walks by us looking straight at me and then she laughs. Why is she laughing? Whatever I don't let it bother me. The bell rings and we proceed to our next class. The day breezes by at a good pace, I find myself thinking about my situation with Chaerin often. Finally the school day is over but before I can celebrate the end to my first day as a senior, I recall I have to stay to "hang out" with Chaerin. I walk quickly towards the detention room where all the disciplinary kids will be gathered for the activity. I enter to find some of my class mates already socializing with their partners. I scan the room and find Chaerin sitting in the corner by herself with sunglasses on. She's blowing bubbles and has her feet mounted on the desk listening to loud music. I walk over to her and sit across from her. I don't know if she can see me since her shades are too dark to tell. 

"Ummm...Chaerin?" No response.

"Chaerin? Hello?" She shuffles in her desk. 

"No need to keep calling me I can hear you shrimpy" Chaerin removes her sunglasses and sits staring at me.

"And did you really have to keep calling me Chaerin? No one's called me that in ages. My name is C L ok got it? CL the baddest female at this school." She smiles and blows a giant bubble.

"Uhhh yeah.. anyways I'm your partner for the psych activity" I shyly stare at the ground.

"Ha! No way you? What are the odds? Looks like we're going to have so much fun shrimpy. How should I torture you first huh?" Chaerin leans back in her chair and laughs.

"Look I just have to talk to you and ask you questions, I didn't come to get harassed. Especially not by you." I talk out my notebook prepped with questions.

"My, My, My Shrimpy you have courage I'll give you that but..." Chaerin grabs my notebook and rips out my question sheet. She then rips it into tiny pieces.

"Don't underestimate me shrimpy, I don't want to help you answer these questions. I'd rather see you fail." Chaerin smirks then places her feet back on the desk. I stare at the tiny pieces of paper on the floor. What kind of person? Is this what Mrs.Jung meant when I should observe her. Do these moments where she does things like this reveal more than I can see?

"Fine then Chaerin, we won't do preset questions. I will just ask you questions from the top of my head" Chaerin stands up.

"I told you I don't want to answer any of your stupid questions!" Chaerin storms out of the room and I run after her. Chaerin walks towards her Hummer in the parking lot. 

"Chaerin please! I know we have our disagreements but I really need this grade! I'll do anything!" At this Chaerin spins around and stands in front of me staring me down.

"Anything?" Chaerin says with and evil smirk. "Well than in that case if I agree to do this, you have to do ALL my homework for the rest of the school year and you have stop being MInzy's friend."

"STOP BEING MINZY'S FRIEND? What is wrong with you how can I just do that? I can't just ignore her! SHE'S MY ONLY FRIEND! Please Chaerin you can't take the only thing I love her at this school!" Chaerin puts he sunglasses on.

"You heard me Shrimpy, these are my conditions. Take it or leave it right now I'm not giving you anymore chances. You also can't disclose to Minzy why you can't be her friend." Chaerin stands waiting from my response. With tears in my eyes I weigh both my options, fail my course and limit my chances of going to a great college or lose a friend that would surely doom the rest of my senior year. But this is the only chance I have to answer

"Ok, Let's do this" I freeze at my own response do I even know what I've given up? 

"Ok, great let's go!" Chaerin grabs my wrist in a death grip and pulls open the passenger door of her hummer. I slip in and sit mortified by my own betrayal. I let tears stream down my face as Chaerin hops in.

"Don't worry Shrimpy, You and I...are going to have so much fun together can't you see it" My face turns towards her, my eyes glaring. I slap her hard across the face. Chaerin is stunned by my sudden violence and sits in silence. This is the first time I've ever hit her or stood up for myself. I look at Chaerin and I think I see a small smile for an instant and is replaced by a glimmer in her eyes but then it vanishes. Chaerin starts the car and we drive off to an unknown destination. I was startled that Chaerin didn't order me out that very instant, what is happening? What did I get myself into?