Welcome Back.

Beneath The Surface

It's a wonderful summer day, the last summer day. Tomorrow I would have to go back to school...sigh. The recollection of all the teasing I had to endure lst year. Apparently academic success does not rank me highly in the heirarchy of high school. My name is Sandara Park, high school senior, most likely to graduate valedictorian if I make it past this year. I shake my head softly.. not now Sandara worry about all that tomorrow, enjoy your last day of summer. I am swinging on a tire swing in my backyard enjoying the serenity of the sunset off in the distance. I stare at my feet while the swing comes to a stop and begin to feel lonely. My best friend, Minzy, could't hang out today...I'm really bummed. The sun sets and I make my way inside. My mother busy cooking up something that smells quite pleasant. 

"Dara, honey, could you please help me make dinner? Your brother has gone off somewhere and I could use a bit of help" She looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Sure mom I'll help you" I quickly walk over and help her make dinner. Dinner takes longer than planned and by the time it is prepared, I am completely exhausted. 

"Dara aren't you going to eat? We worked all night on these dumplings!" I look at her and continue to retreat to my room.

"I'm not hungry, but thanks for the offer" I tell her this as I walk into my bedroom and close the door.

Hmmm...what should I wear tomorrow? I prep my outfit for the next day and then hop into bed. What kind of day will I have tomorrow? My mind wanders aimlessly for a couple minutes then I am consumed by sleep.

*BEEP* *BEEP* 

Mmmm...I wake up rubbing my eyes, I stare at my clock 6:20 AM, I cuss slightly to myself as I begin to change my clothes. Afterwards, I walk across the hall into the bathroom where I comb my hair and take care of other buisness. Upon exiting I walk to the kitchen where I have a nice breakfast alone since the rest of my family has already left to school or work. My brother and sister always love leaving to school early, I like to linger at home as long as I can. I glance at the clock 6:50 AM I should probably walk to school now. I grab my backpack and waltz out the door. The trip to school went by in a blur as I get lost in my thoughts. I finally arrive to the gates of our school. Just when I'm about to walk into these gates I hear the screeching of tires and loud music. I see a giant Hummer speeding past the gates and parking smoothly. Out of curiosity I linger at the gates to see who was driving. I notice someone climb out of the Hummer and I quickly lose my interest. Who I saw was none other than Chaerin Lee, one of the students at our school with a bad rep. Chaerin's also a proud member of the LGBT community. I've had many troubles with Chaerin last year, she's nothing but trouble. I notice Chaerin walking towards me.

"Hey Shrimpy, ready for another year together? She gives my a hellish smirk and proceeds to ruffle my hair violently. 

"STOP IT CHAERIN!" I quickly move under her hand. 

"Oh? Shrimpy's doesn't like that? Well then..." Just as she tries to put her hand on me again, Minzy merges between us.

"Get lost, Chaerin don't want to get detention on the first day do we?" Minzy gives her a cold glare.

"Whatever! I was just leaving anyways...I'll get you next time shrimpy" Chaerin trudges off towards her group of criminal friends. 

"How many times do I have to tell you to stand up for yourself Dara?" Minzy takes her comb out and starts to fix my hair.

"Sorry Minzy, but you heard her what can I do I'm shrimpy remember? My eyes begin to glaze over. Oh God don't let me cry.

"So what if your shrimpy? You got all you need right here remember?" Minzy points to my head and laughs.

"Now let's go before you start to cry" We zoom past people in the dense hallways, making our way towards our first class.

PSYCHOLOGY 101: with Mrs. Jung

Minzy and I enter the classroom and pick out our seats. We talk to other close friends while we wait for the teacher to enter. At once, she enters the room and we quiet down. 

"I hope you've all had the chance to do my summer assignment, those who did not will receive a zero. I do not expect mediocre work from seniors who will be graduating this year so I hope you all did the assignment!" I shudder at the thought of missing such a weighty assignment, I made sure I had done it the first week of summer"

"Now, for those of you who did the assignment, recall that it discussed in great length the characteristics of an individual. Why we are who we are, why we respond to certain items the way we do. You've all learned that the reasons for all these touch beyond the surface and explore one's mentality. If you did not do the assignment it is a shame since we will be following up this assignment with an activity. Each individual in this room will be paired up with another indivdual on the behavior track program. As your instructor I've selected this class to participate since you show promise. You will get to know this individual over the next couple weeks, learn about their personality and so on. Now I will now walk around with a jar and you must draw a name. Remember, You cannot trade names!"

I wait feverishly as she walks through the aisles allowing students to select slips of paper. Finally she walks over to Minzy and I. I stick my hand in and pull the first slip my fingers come in contact with. I slowly open up the slip of paper... Chaerin Lee... My mouth hangs open. 

"WooHooo! Look Dara I got Bianca! She's not so bad, she's actually really funny who did you get?" Minzy stares at me.

"I got Chaerin Lee...." I shake in my seat.

"AIGOOO! Why me?! AISH!" Minzy pats me on the back.

"Don't worry I can help you with her!" Minzy gives me a gentle smile. I lean my head on my desk...of all people? What a great start to my senior year...