Home Life.

Beneath The Surface

 ...oh ! Oh ! What was I thinking slapping her across the face like that. I look over at her while she's focused on the road and notice the red mark across her cheek. What have I done? I sit dreading where and what she's going to do to me. For all I know she's taking me to her secret lair. I nervously stare down the road trying to recognize where we're heading. Sadly, I do not recognize anything and assume the worst. I drift off to sleep since I can no longer endure my anxiety. Eventually I awake from my name to find us pulling up to a grand house. WHOA! This house is definitely like no other. We arrive to a very large home with a large fountain out front. I spot several sports cars in the driveway. IS THAT A LAMBORGHINI? Chaerin drives up the the massive staircase and mahogany doors of this large estate. At this moment Chaerin turns the car off.

"Well what are you waiting for? Come on!" Chaerin leaps out of the hummer. I quickly climb out and walk swiftly behind her. 

"Welcome home, Ms.Lee can I take your keys?" A handsome gentleman wearing suit like attire approaches Chaerin as she reaches the doorway.

"Yes, and thank you as always." Chaerin flashes him a warm smile. This smile is a lot different than the smile of mischief I saw before. What is it about this smile? Is it sincerity? I quickly follow Chaerin into her massive living room. 

"Take a seat anywhere you'd like" Chaerin motions to the several couches.

"Ah, thanks Chaerin...ahhh why am I here?" I ask her filled with a little bit of fear. 

"Well you need answers to your questions right? I didn't want all those pesky people in the detention room to hear my life story. So I brought you to where it's comfortable for me to answer the questions" Chaerin stares at me with unrevealing eyes.

"But, aren't you mad that I slapped you?" I nervously look at Chaerin's cheek still red.

"I am" Chaerin winces. "But I probably deserved that after all, you can't see your darling Minzy anymore." Chaerin delivers a grin of mischief as she looks at me. 

"Don't forget our arrangement Shrimpy..." Chaerin clears , "Now as you can see, look around you Shrimpy, I know you're dying to ask" Chaerin chuckles.

"Well actually yes, what's your story Chaerin?" 

"Well, for starters, this house belongs to me. I paid for it." Chaerin leans back in her chair. PAID FOR IT?! What on earth?!

"My parent's were very wealthy people, and when they passed away they left all their wealth to my sister and I. My sister doesn't live here with me though, She begged me to let her go off to boarding school. I let her even though I think it's a waste since given our wealth, we should be able to live without ever going to work. But, she insisted she wanted a good education so I let her go." Chaerin eyes freeze to one point of the rug as she recalls all of this.

"Sorry about your parent's Chaerin..." 

"It's ok but I'd rather not talk about it. Don't ask me any questions about them ok?" 

"Ok, I understand." I want to comfort Chaerin somehow but I know my kindess will be rejected, so we just sit in silence.

"Do you want to see my room Shrimpy? I think you'll find it compelling." Chaerin gets up and waits for my response. I nod my head and she leads me through a maze of floors and rooms. Finally we reach her room, the master bedroom. We enter and the room is filled with deep shades of red resembling maroon and black to complement the two. The room itself is rather lengthy and a grand piano sits in the corner of the bedroom. What draws my attention is the giant Window looking out on the city. A telescope and a couple armchairs linger to the side of this giant window.

"Chaerin, this room is spectacular!" I look around in awe and facsination.

"I thought you'd find it so" Chaerin looks rather pleased with herself. Chaerin walks over to her record player and plays Clair de Lune. 

"I can't imagine you know how to play this composition on the piano?" I ask her.

"Oh honey, this piano isn't just for show of course I can play that. I've had lessons since I was 5." Chaerin flops on her bed.

"Mmmm Shrimpy?" Chaerin gets under her covers.

"What is it? & I have a name you know!" I sit in one of her arm chairs.

"Oh you do what is it anyways?" Chaerin carelessly mumbles.

"My name is Sandara Park but just call me Dara" Now thinking about it she didn't really know my name did she? She just labeled my "Shrimpy".

"Oh that's your name? I think I remember hearing it but I can't recall. Anyways listen Shrimpy, I mean Dara, I don't think I can take you home today. It's getting pretty dark and I'm quite exhausted." Chaerin yawns.

"What?! But what about my mom she's going to be worried about me!" Panic strikes me all over.

"Then walk home." Chaerin grumbles.

"Walk home? I don't even know how to get home!" I cannot believe this child. Of all things to have happen.

"Stay here then just don't bug me!" No way? Stay here in Chaerin's house all night? , is this the only option I have? I take my phone out and call my mom.

"SANDARA PARK WHERE ARE YOU?" My mother's loud yells can be heard by Chaerin who laughs excitedly.

"I'm sorry listen is it ok if I stay at Minzy's house tonight?" I'm not fond of lying to my mother but I can't tell her I'm with a friend, she knows I don't have many.

"Oh alright but next time warn me ahead of time of your plans!" She hangs up and I am relieved.

"Lying to your mother now are we? My, My Shrimpy am I rubbing off badly on you?" Chaerin chuckles. 

"Shut up this is all your fault!" I glare at her.

"Chill out Shrimpy, you should be thanking me. I'll feed you and make sure you get taken care of alright?" Chaerin gets out of bed lazily. She walks over to her drawers and pulls out a pair of pajamas.

"Here put these on!" I shuffle to the bathroom and change into her pajamas. 

"Now, Shrimpy, you can sleep in any room you want choose whichever one I don't care." I am startled, theres so many rooms though.

"But Chaerin, what if I can't find my way back here?" I stare with fear of the endless possibilities of getting lost in this immense house.

A loud sigh comes from Chaerin. "Shrimpy, You're really pesky you know that? Fine then, sleep in my room. Now you can sleep in my bed but don't cross the pillow barrier between us!" Chaerin begins to set up a pillow barrier that splits the bed in half.

"Whoa what is this?" I pick up a small toy off the ground.

"His name is Tam Tam! And he goes on MY side of the bed!" Chaerin swipes the mysterious toy out of my hands. 

"I'm going to bed Shrimpy, if you want some cereal, there's a mini fridge and box of cereal by the piano" As soon as she says this she dozes off. Quietly I pour myself a bowl of cereal and then climb into her bed. Chaerin talks in her sleep, I admit this makes me a bit fearful. I turn off her desk lamp and let my mind wonder. What kind of girl exactly is Chaerin? If she has wealth and popularity, why does she act how she does? I begin to confuse myself with so many questions, ultimately I doze off into a deep slumber.