Chapter IV

Against Ourselves

Jungkook sighed as swung his feet back and forth on top of the Namsan Tower. It was plain daylight outside, probably eleven in the morning and he had never been so bored in his life.

That Angel and Fallen Angel were no where to be found so he couldn’t have any fun with them. He looked down at the lowly humans walking through the busy streets.

Jungkook found humans so boring. He described them as weird, clueless and weak. They were indecisive. They don’t know what they want. Yet, humans were so interesting. They can be either good or bad or even both.

Jungkook yawned out of boredom and lied his back down, squinting as he stared up at the sky.

Jeon Jungkook

Devil Rank: Two Wings Rookie

First Mission: Wreck Havoc in Seoul - South Korea, Earth

The mission had seemed easy to the young Devil. He was known to be a little reckless. After all, that was a good trait for Devils. The upperclass Devils complimented him as mischievous and manipulative and secretive and merciless.

“Do whatever you want.” Rome, his Devil instructor, had told Jungkook. “Just don’t get caught.”

This was supposed to be fun. Well, it was fun at first. Jungkook had at least made some mess in the human world.

He messed up couple dates and people’s cars and work and shops but it was slowly getting boring. He’d want to pop a baby’s balloon and watch her cry but then when he saw the baby’s little smile, he hesitated.

Or when he wanted to mess around with a puppy but ended up playing with it instead. Jungkook found puppies the cutest things in existence. So were kitties and pandas.

He’d watch a group of friends play football or baseball or basketball or just hanging out in the park and he looked around himself where there was no one beside him.

It’s not that he felt lonely. Maybe it’s because he wanted to laugh around with someone instead of laughing alone.

“Hey, are you new in town?” A human had once approached Jungkook in the park. He sat down next to the unknown Devil and smiled.

Jungkook blinked at the other. “I, uh…” That was the first time he had ever spoken to a human and he wanted to slap himself for being so weird. “Um yeah...I’m from…” Oh , he can’t say Hell. “I’m from...Japan…?”

The human and adjusted his cap. “I’m Junhoe.” He introduced himself brightly. He looked over at the others and called them. “Jinhwan hyung! Come here!”

A shorter human rushed over when he heard his name being called. Jinhwan. He was probably two heads shorter than Jungkook and he had a small heart shaped mole near his right eye.

“This is Jinhwan hyung. Isn’t he a short cutie?” Junhoe teased, his arm over the shorter human.

Jinhwan glared at Junhoe before smiling at Jungkook. The Devil stared blankly, a warm feeling puzzling through his body.

“I’m Jinhwan.” He said. “What’s your name?”

“Jung...kook…” Jungkook replied as he looked at the two. It felt weird introducing himself and he had an urge to run away in embarrassment. But when Jinhwan and Junhoe smiled, Jungkook naturally smiled along. “My name is Jungkook.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Jungkook.” Jinhwan said. “Do you want to play basketball with us?”

“Basket...ball?” Jungkook repeated in confusion. He had never played these human games before. He’s heard of them but never thought about watching or playing them at all. “I don’t know...how to play.” He shyly confessed and Junhoe and Jinhwan had just blinked at him in silence.

Great, not only was he talking to humans but he was embarassing himself as well.

“Oh that’s okay,” Junhoe said. “It’s pretty simple. You just have to dribble the ball, dodge the other team and shoot the ball into your opponent’s basket.”

The group of humans had taught the Devil how to play. It didn’t take long until Jungkook caught on easily and was having too much fun to even remind himself that he was on a mission.

Jungkook sighed as he stared up at the sky. He hadn’t seen Junhoe or Jinhwan since that day or any of the other friends. Jungkook remembered them clearly. There was Jongin and Yugyeom and Maru and Kyungsoo and Naeun and Krystal and BamBam.

“I’m so bored.” Jungkook said to himself. He hadn’t seen the humans in a while. They all had something called school. It was boring. Jungkook was bored.

The church bells disturbed the Devil’s train of thoughts. He listened in pain as the church rang from below and watched as the people walked out from the ceremony.

The presence came.

Jungkook watched as a very familiar young boy walk out of the church doors (Devils had a very good vision) and he smirked.

It would be obvious for an Angel to go to church. Oh how cute of him. Now Jungkook can have some fun.

The Devil chuckled. He flew down from the tower safely and without any human’s notice. He retracted his wings and ran for the tiny Angel.

“Jiminnie!” Jungkook shouted as he back hugged the young boy. He smiled and laughed as Jimin pried him off.

The Angel was speechless, staring at the Devil and at the humans around them. “If you’re here to kill me, at least try to kill me in a place with less humans.” Jimin hissed at the boy.

But Jungkook only gave him a bunch of giggles and laughs. He twirled around the Angel like a child with a sugar rush. “Aw come on~” Jungkook said as his wings grew and he circled Jimin. “That’s not my job. It’s that Fallen Angel’s job to kill you, isn’t it?”

“Put your wings away!” Jimin shouted with a gasp as he pulled Jungkook down to the ground. The younger pouted and Jimin sighed. “What if a human saw you with your wings?”

“I’ll just erase their memory.”

“That’s not how this works.” Jimin commented. “You are such a child.”

Jungkook’s smile dropped and he galred at the Angel. “I am not a child!” He shouted. “I am a grown Devil!”

“Shhhh! How could you shout that?”

Jungkook huffed and stuck his tongue. “You’re such an uptight Angel.” He said and crossed his arms. He stared at Jimin and broke into a smile. “But you’re fun to play with. Let’s fly around the tower and spit at people, yeah?”

“What, no! That’s rude and disgusting.”

“Ugh, such an Angel.” Jungkook said again as he walked around sluggly. “I’m so bored~so bored~” He sang around Jimin before stopping in his tracks. “Hey, Jiminnie, what’s that?” Jungkook asked and pointed at a nearby human through a window who was enjoying some kind of food.

“That’s a burger.” Jimin answered nonchalantly.

“What’s a burger?”

“Have you not had one before?”

“I’m a Devil. I don’t eat. And even if I did, I heard human food is unhealthy and disgusting.”

Jimin rolled his eyes. “You’re a Devil. How could you possible know what’s healthy and unhealthy. Besides, it’s not like you’ll gain weight either.” He said to the younger male and blinked at it. Jungkook had been staring at the burger for at least ten minutes already. “I guess little boys are always going to be curious.” Jimin mumbled and grasped onto Jungkook’s wrist. “Come on, I’ll buy you food.”

Jungkook followed as Jimin dragged him into the food shop. They sat near the end on the second floor and Jungkook looked around his surrounding. There were so many colors and so many people and so many different types of smells.

“Stay here and don’t move.” Jimin warned the young Devil, pointing a finger towards him. “I’ll go downstairs to buy food and you stay put, understood?”

Jungkook nodded slowly and watched as Jimin went off downstairs. He looked around himself. There was a child playground near the left and colorful designs on the walls.

The Devil looked down at the table. There were two glasses with something white in one of them and the other grayish brownish.

Slowly and carefully, Jungkook tapped the finger on the white glass. “Is this fairy dust?” He asked to himself as he examined it. He shook some onto his hand and stared at them. “So pretty.” Jungkook said, shuffling them with the tip of his finger.

He blinked several times and slowly leaned it, taking a small before colliding his back with the chair. It tasted so...so...so, what’s the word? Oh yeah, SALTY.

Shaking his head vigorously to get the taste out, Jungkook scowled in disgust. He looked over at the other glass, hoping it would not be as salty as the other.

He takes a small finger full of the glass and popped them into his mouth. At first it had no taste, but then when it came in, Jungkook wanted to break his wings out and fly away from what really seemed like hell.

The taste was burning Jungkook’s tongue and it got worse when he stuck out his tongue and panted like some kind of dog.

“Are you okay?” Jimin had just arrived with a tray full of food. He stared at the Devil who was panting frantically. Then he realized the spilled salt and pepper on the table and sighed. “Here.” The Angel said and handed the little Devil a cup.

Jungkook snatched it and began gulping but once he did, almost spat it all over Jimin. “What is this?!” He shouted at the drink. It was black and dark and cold and raspy and it burned his throat.

“It’s Coke.”

“IT’S...IT’S…” Jungkook blinked. “It’s delicious...” Although it did had a burning feeling, it was sort of addicting and it made Jungkook want to drink more.

Jimin chuckled at the kid before sitting down across from him. Who knew Devils could be so adorable? “Here, try this.” Jimin said as he slid the tray of fries towards Jungkook. “I promise they’re not salty or spicy.”

Jungkook stared at the countless strings of the food. He looked at Jimin and then back at the fries before finally taking one and biting into it. “Mhm! It’s delicious! What is it?”

“It’s a potato.”

“What’s a potato?”

“...You know, just eat it.” Jimin said, laughing and began to unwrap the burger as Jungkook continued to eat the fries. “This is a burger.” The Angel explained as he took one fry for himself. “It’s delicious too.”

Jungkook didn’t hesitate this time and happily took a bite out of the so called burger. It was meaty and soft but crunchy and hot.

“It’s good!” Jungkook cheered as he gave a thumbs up and Jimin watched contently as the kid proceeded to finish the food.

It didn’t long until the young Devil had finished everything. He rubbed his belly with a content sigh, smiling happily at Jimin. “That was delicious!” He cheered, waving his arms in the air. “I’m so full. I don’t feel like getting up.”

Jimin laughed as he took a sip of his own Coke. He stared at the young Devil with a smile. “Then we’ll just sit here for a while.” He said and Jungkook nodded happily. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah sure!”

Jimin’s smile dropped a little. “Are you here to kill me?” He asked cautiously with his surroundings. Jungkook watched as Jimin stared at him and the Devil broke into a laughter.

“My mission is to create havoc here on Earth,” Jungkook said, circling the straw around his soda. “But honestly I just want to have fun now. Earth seems interesting. And besides,” he looked up at Jimin and smirked. “Like I said before, killing you isn’t my mission.”

Jimin’s eyes widened and Jungkook noticed a small blush crept through the Angel’s face. He chuckled and took another sip of the carbonated drink.

“I haven’t seen him.” Jimin confessed. “But I feel like he’s out there. Waiting for the chance to kill me.”

Jungkook smiled. “I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” He reassured and Jimin blinked in response. “Anyway, I’m going to go now. Thanks for the meal~”

“Wait, where are you going to go?” Jimin asked as he quickly threw out the tray of wrappers and cups before following the Devil down the stairs.

“Oh I don’t know.” Jungkook answered. “I just go wherever I want.”

“But do you have a house? Home? School?”

“Hm~ no. Why?”

“Aren’t you lonely by yourself?”

Jungkook paused. He turned around to look at the Angel. His expression was stiff, foreign to his smiling attitude. “Why are you being so nice to me?” Jungkook asked. “Aren’t we supposed to be enemies?”

“W-well…” Jimin fumbled with his fingers. “I’m an Angel. It’s my duty to watch over others.”

There was a long silence and Jungkook just stared at Jimin blankly. “Whatever~” Jungkook had finally said. “I’m going now, bye~”

“W-Wait!” Jimin shouted and dashed out the door but the Devil had already disappeared. He sighed to himself and gave a laugh. “Such a kid,” he said and began to walk home.

Jungkook watched from above as Jimin headed towards the opposite direction. He swung his feet back and forth on the building and smiled. “School…”

 

Class next morning was a commotion for Jimin. Everyone was whispering and muttering conversations to each other and when Jimin had approached Changjo and Jongup, they had a serious expression.

Jongup. Serious expression.

“What’s wrong?” Jimin asked as he placed his bag down onto his desk. He looked at Jongup who looked at Changjo who looked back at Jimin.

“There’s a new student.” Changjo said lowly.

“So?”

“Well…he’s…” Before Changjo could finish, the doors busted open, revealing a very smiling face that ran towards Jimin.

“Jiminnie!!!”

“J-Jungkook!” Jimin gasped for air as the Devil tightly hugged him. “W-What are you doing here?!”

Jungkook had that childish smile of his and stuck out his tongue. “Don’t you know? I’m enrolled here now!” He said and pointing to the identical school uniform with the same name font. Jeon Jungkook.

 

 

Thanks for reading!

Please leave lots of comments and

upvote this story

thank you!

#ForverwithBAP #StayStrongBAP