A Masquerade Makes Love (HoGyu)

Infinite Short Drabbles/ One-shots

Every 3 months at the Woolim Palace, a masquerade ball is held. Everyone is invited, commoners or high-class people, foreigners or locals. The only rule is that everyone should have a mask and a formal outfit, specifically a suit or gown.

This upcoming party, King Dongwoo has instructed his son, Kim Sunggyu, to find a suitable partner. Sunggyu has to lie about his social status and pose as a middle-class citizen. This is kept secret to everyone except the staff in the castle and relatives of Sunggyu.

 

Hoya has always loathed the masquerade parties held in the castle. He thinks it's a waste of time. Why go there and dance with masked people? He prefers listening to Woohyun story tell about the gentlemen he danced with.

Except there's a problem.

Woohyun, that cunning little friend, has tricked Hoya into promising to go to the next ball. How near Hoya was in chopping his friend's head off.

So now Hoya is banging his head in the wall because the event is going to start in the night and he barely feels like going.

~~~~~~~~

"Hoya! Are you ready yet? I'm here to pick you up!" The voice of Woohyun wafted into Hoya's ears, making him scowl.

"Done."

"Like that? Heck, fix yourself up! See your necktie is crooked, and your hair is a mess....." Woohyun started to pull whatever magic products from Hoya's cabinet in the living room (Hoya thinks Woohyun's been using his house as a storage room). After re-touching Hoya's outfit for the night and applying light make-up, Woohyun finally feels satisfied with Hoya's appearance.

"There, perfect! Enough to make girls and boys swoon over you, Mr. Handsome." Teased Woohyun.

"Let's leave before I get an knife and cut your throat today"

Woohyun swallowed dryly and followed Hoya's move to leave.

~~~~~~~~

"Sunggyu, are you ready my son?"

"Yes, father."

"Be sure to be refined today, even if you are to act like a commoner."

"I know."

"And make sure not to be too clumsy"

"Yes"

"Don't act stupid"

"I know that too."

"Why do I feel like my son will embarrass himself tonight?" King Dongwoo said more to himself.

Sunggyu stared at his father, feeling sad. "Because I'm the clumsiest, most irresponsible and unreliable person you've ever known?"

"Ermm..." Dongwoo couldn't say anything because it was true. "Just.... do your best today."

"I will."

~~~~~~~~

'Stupid Woohyun! He drags me to the palace, makes me wait, and the next thing I know he's dancing with girls and guys alternately!'  Hoya tries to burn holes at Woohyun head for leaving Hoya standing alone in the side. Woohyun just goes on flirting with the bevy of girls all in glittery gowns.

Pissed off, Hoya moves away and tries to go to a less crowded place. He sees a corner of the room not filled with people and he goes straight to that place. While everyone moves to the center of the room (which is almost equal to Hoya's whole house by the way), Hoya feels less stuffy from the lessening people around him.

Hoya notices another boy in the same corner as him, looking at the crowd of people. The boy is wearing a beautiful suit, has light brown hair, hands fiddling with the bottom of his top and mask colored purple (Hoya's favorite color). He looks longingly at the other people, as if he wants to join.

Feeling that the boy looks like a lost puppy, Hoya approaches the other person.

"Why don't you join them?" Hoya asks

The boy seemed shocked to hear someone talking to him for he slightly jumped when Hoya spoke.

"E-eh?" The boy has a cute and soft voice, Hoya's mentally notes.

"You looked like you want to be there."

"Uhh... I do, but I'm not good with crowded places. I'm especially not good at dancing too." The boy lowers his head.

"If you're not going there, why are you here then?"

"Long story, but my dad wants me to find a partner in this ball. I'm really in trouble because I am really bad at socializing with others...." He trails off.

"Partner? Wow, so you have major trouble on your shoulders, huh?" Hoya smiles, this boy is certainly adorable he thinks. "Why not get fresh air first then we'll find someone for you."

"You'll help me?" The boy looks expectantly at Hoya.

"Sure! But I want to go out first."

"Y-yes! Thank you!" The boy gives a big smile to Hoya. Hoya ruffles the boy's hair in return. The other boy seems to not mind. Then they left into the garden.

~~~~~~~~

Walking around and enjoying the scenery, Hoya takes off his mask because the feathers on it were a bit annoying. He notices the other boy staring at him from the corners of his eyes.

"Why are you staring?"

"I-I wasn't!!" Sunggyu defensively says.

"No use lying, I caught you red-handed" Smirking, Hoya grabs the other's waist and pulls him closer so that he won't try running away. "So, why stare?"

The taller but thinner boy blushed at the action. "You're good-looking" His eyes shift to look everywhere except Hoya "What's your name?"

"Hoya, what's yours?"

"M-m-my name?!" 'Oh ! Stupid Sunggyu, why didn't you think of a fake name?'

"Why do you seem shocked? Yes, I'm asking for your name."

'Last name!! Think of a Last name! Kim.... Kim..... Nam!!' "Nam Sunggyu!" Sunggyu said a bit loudly.

"Woah, why the sudden outburst?" Hoya laughed at the Sunggyu's raised voice. It turned squeaky.

"S-sorry, I really am."

"No need. Hey, why not take of your mask? No one's here anyway."

Before Sunggyu could raise his protest, Hoya pulled of the mask in one swift, precise move. Hoya's eyes widened and deafening silence fell upon them.

'Oh my gosh, he knows I'm the prince!' Sunggyu's face was near tears because he felt like he let his father down.

Hoya suddenly smiled then pinched Sunggyu cheeks. "You're so cute!! Awww.... You look like a hamster!" He cooed.

Sunggyu blinked once, then twice, then suddenly a few tears fell. Hoya panicked a bit, but Sunggyu told him he was fine. A few minutes later, the tears stopped.

"Are you okay? Did I make you cry?"

"No, it's just me. Please forget I cried?" Sunggyu gave Hoya his puppy eyes. Weak against cuteness, Hoya agreed immediately.

"Hey Hoya? I want to ask something."

"What is it Gyugyu?" Hoya teased.

"Gyugyu?"

"What? It's cute, it matches you!" Hoya cheekily replied. "So what?"

"Oh, oh yeah. Can you be my partner?" Sunggyu bluntly said.

"Hmm... Yeah sure................! Partner?!" Hoya head snapped towards Sunggyu.

"Yup! I don't want to look for someone anymore. You seem really nice too! Be my partner? Pretty please? With a yummy cherry on top?" Sunggyu pleaded while tugging at Hoya's sleeve.

As much as Hoya wanted to reject, his secret was really interfering. That cute look on Sunggyu, who could resist it? He wanted to kill himself now.

"Hoya? Hoya! Please accept.... please?" Sunggyu's voice was faltering, his face turning red because he was going to cry again. "...Never mind" Sunggyu whispered.

Just as Sunggyu turned away from Hoya, the hand of Hoya pulled Sunggyu's arm and made him face Hoya once again. "Don't cry. You're face is too beautiful to be spoilt with tears. I'll be your partner, ok? Just stop crying." Sunggyu furiously nodded his head and roughly wiped his face from the tears.

"You're not lying right? B-because if you're lying, I won't believe you anymore."

"I'm not lying,"

"Promise?"

"Promise"

Then Sunggyu gave Hoya a quick peck on his cheek. Hoya blushed at first, but he smirked afterwards and a spot near Sunggyu's ear, whispering 'cute' in a low and rough voice. Sunggyu gave a tiny squeak at that.

~~~~~~~~

"YOU'RE THE PRINCE?!" Hoya's voice ringed throughout the ballroom. The masquerade party ended hours earlier, the guests all left excluding Hoya and Woohyun (Hoya's only chance for a ride home)

"Whoa, Hoya you hit the jackpot! What have you done?!" Woohyun whispered to Hoya and nudged his side. "And he's cute too!"

"Shut up!" Hissed Hoya.

"Sorry Hoya-shi, for lying. My dad told me not to tell anyone about being the prince...." Sunggyu softly said. His eyes were directed to the floor, looking sincerely sorry. Again, Hoya couldn't stand the sight of Sunggyu looking sad.

"Never mind, so I'm now the partner of the prince?" Hoya asked disbelievingly.

"Yes, you're now the husband of my son! I feel so accomplished!" A voice came from the top of the staircase. King Dongwoo descended down the stairs. Immediately Hoya and Woohyun bowed a perfect 90 degrees while Sunggyu just beamed at his dad.

"Sunggyu, I feel so happy you found someone. I thought you started bawling when I couldn't find you in the dancing crowd earlier."

"Dad!"

"And you, young lad, what's your name?" Dongwoo faced Hoya, eyes turning into crescents.

"Hoya, my Lord."

"Don't call me Lord. From now on, call me dad."

"Yes..... dad?" Hoya said uncertainly.

"That's right, Hoya!" Then suddenly Dongwoo hugged Sunggyu. "My little Gyu, your mom would be so happy to see her son get married. I bet your mom will pick a beautiful wedding dress for you and she will proclaim to the whole kingdom that her son is finally going to be a princess and the next succeeding queen! I'm so happy you found a male partner! If you found a girl, I can't let go of my position for you to become a king. The whole kingdom would crumble!" Dongwoo went on babbling about the possible bad outcomes if Sunggyu would become the next king.

"Ok ok Dad! I get it! No need to rub it in my face!" Sunggyu pouted, breaking free from his father's death hug.

"It's alright, Gyugyu. I'll make sure you are prettier than all the other wives and princesses out there." Hoya said hugging Sunggyu.

"I'm not a girl!" Sunggyu retaliated.

"You are, for me."

"Hoya, make sure you gets lots of pretty babies with Sunggyu, understand?" The king added.

"Sure, I'll be sure to get a lot" Hoya smirked hugging Sunggyu even tighter.

"I won't get pregnant!!"

"Too late" Hoya whispered

"NO NO NO!!!" Sunggyu screamed out loud, laughter erupting from the rest.


Inspired by : Masquerade by Rania (Only the masquerade part. Not the song XD)

I hope this wasn't too long. I just felt like writing with the setting of a masquerade. I love these kinds of stuff. Hope it wasn't boring :(