Chapter Eight

The eye of the thunderstorm

“The Three Witches predicted that Macbeth would rise to become the King of Scotland but also foretold that future kings will descend from…” None of Dr Morlan’s words are registering in Yura’s head. It was as if his words hit Yura’s eardrums, but then bounced off one by one. All that was on her mind was… want to guess?

You’re right. Kim Donghyuk again.

This was going way too crazy than what Yura had expected. Not only was their relationship developing faster than what she could ever imagine, she even dreamt of him last night. 

“Kim Jinhwan, give me back my bag! How can you still be so childish at this age!” Yura shouted after Jinhwan as she finds herself running after him in the corridors of their school. It was a fine day, and after school, the duo were about to go home together when Jinhwan suddenly snatched Yura’s bag and ran away with it as a joke. Yura was eager to get her bag back as she had all her valuables inside, her phone, her wallet and all.

Jinhwan turned his head to look at Yura, while running, “Catch me if you can!” He sticks out his tongue, and continued running away.

“Idiot.” Yura muttered to herself as she groans inwardly, wondering why she had to go through all this fuzz.

The duo ran and ran up and down the school compound, earning themselves stares from the other students. Occasionally, Jinhwan hears things like “Oh my God that’s Kim Jinhwan running, he looks even more handsome!” or “Oppa runs so fast!!” and smiles to himself. Yura, who is running at her top speed behind, only could imaginarily face palm herself at Jinhwan’s fangirls’ comments.

There was a puddle of water on the ground that Yura didn’t noticed, and as she ran, she slipped and felt herself losing balance, falling backwards. As she fell, she closed her eyes and held her breath, preparing herself for the bang of pain when she lands on the ground. But the bang of pain never came, and instead, what came in contact with her back was a strong, warm arm, holding her away from the floor. She opened her eyes and saw Jinhwan’s face right above hers. His eyes, nose and lips were merely a short 10 cm distance away from Yura’s. Her eyes grew bigger and bigger. She felt her face turn hot.

“Yah, Park Yura. Be careful!” Jinhwan said with a gentle smile, his breath hitting Yura’s face softly. Only then did Yura realise that she has been holding her breath, and finally exhaled,

“J.. Jinhwan?”

Jinhwan stood Yura back up, handed Yura her bag and cleared his throat, “Say thank you.”

Yura stood awkwardly at the spot, and muttered a soft “thank you”, and grabbed her bag from Jinhwan’s hand.

“You’re welcome. Let’s go home!” Jinhwan patted Yura’s head as he said jokingly. He didn’t expect his joke to go as far as to make Yura hurt, so he was relieved when he saved her from falling.

“Yeah, let’s.” Yura lowered her head, avoiding Jinhwan’s gaze. That was really awkward for her. She was really confused, just yesterday night, she and Donghyuk shared their first hug. They had many small talks, and became really close. They joked around, but many deeper feelings were exchanged, their bonds deepened. What she has forgotten about was Jinhwan...

 

/FLASHBACK/

After Donghyuk and Yura hugged, they finally reluctantly parted ways. Yura sulkily walked back to her home, thinking of all that happened that night. Suddenly, her phone buzzed. She fished it out from her pocket, and picked up the incoming call. It was from Jinhwan.

“Yura, are you okay? From the storm?”

“Yeah, Jinhwan... Actually I’m getting quite used to the weather.” Yura said, suddenly aware of the fact that she has forgotten about Jinhwan during her dinner.

“Glad to hear! You’re finally growing up! Haha. Are you free now?”

“I guess.. why?” Yura said as she opened the door to her house.

“There is something that I want to tell you about... “ Jinhwan said, his tone was getting serious. Yura could tell.

“What?” Yura asked, wondering what Jinhwan had to tell her.

“Park Yura, I think that I am falling for you,” came Jinhwan’s mellow voice from the other end of the line, “I am not asking for an answer tonight, but I just needed to get this off my chest.”

Silence.

“Yura...?”

“Jinhwan?” Yura was shocked, of course. She had always thought of Jinhwan as an elder brother, a close friend, a constant in her life. She had feelings for him before, but those feelings are now expired. She has had boys confessing to her before, but this one was different. Jinhwan, her childhood friend, neighbour, senior, the one that knows almost everything about her...

“I think –“

“Don’t give me an answer... I am not asking for anything... I mean I would like if something happens between us, but maybe you just want to stay this way, close friends. I don’t mind, you know?” Words escaped Jinhwan’s mouth; he didn’t even know what he was saying anymore. The lights in his room was off, he was in his bed, hugging his knees. His palms were sweaty.

“I... “ Yura climbed onto her bed, finally hugging her knees as well.

The two were in their respective houses directly next to each other, both on their beds, hugging their knees with their left hand, holding their phones to their ears with their right. It was by far the most awkward conversation they have ever had.

“Yura, I don’t want to make this anymore awkward. I just wanted you to know. If there is ever anything or anyone that might hurt you, come to me, okay? We don’t have to let these stupid feelings of mine ruin our relationship. I am happy with what we have now.”

“I am happy with what we have too.”

“Good. Then let us stay this way. Just please...  don’t distant yourself. Please.” Jinhwan said this softly. There was a kind of desperation in his voice that Yura couldn’t bear hearing.

“I won’t.”

“Let’s pretend this has never happened.”

“I can’t. But I won’t let this change anything.”

“Fine. See you tomorrow, Yura yah.”

“See you, Jinhwan.”

“Nothing happened tonight.” Jinhwan said so quietly, as if something might break if he had raised his voice, even if just by a little.

“Nothing happened.” Yura answered. Jinhwan hung up first.

/FLASHBACK ENDS/

Yura wasn’t sure anymore. She was not sure about her feelings for Donghyuk, her relationship with Jinhwan... she wasn’t sure of anything. And then there was Jinhwan in school today, joking around her without a care in the world. Did yesterday really happen? Was it just a prank call? Maybe a secret camera to see how Yura would react to this kind of things? She didn’t know anymore. But Jinhwan sounded so sincere, so desperate.

 

The pair started making their way home, and Jinhwan talked non-stop.

“Yura, did you know that Mrs Oh’s ice cream shop came out with a new flavour? It’s called minty-brownie! I tried it last week, it was really good.”

“Yura, I just finished my project on Romeo and Juliet, and I think that it’s kind of stupid. I mean, it all happened in 3 days! What even...”

“Yura-yah, I heard from Bobby that there is a new arcade opening at the shopping mall down the road next month! Let’s go playyyyy!”

“Yura, my mom bought a new oven and she started baking really nice cakes! You should really come over and have some next time, or you will really regret.”

Conversation topics popped out of Jinhwan’s mouth one by one, as if he has rehearsed before. Yura chatted along with her friend, their voices and laughter filling the alley. She started feeling more comfortable. Maybe she could really do with this kind of relationship. Or maybe yesterday night was really a prank call... 

[A/N: Hello =) I am so sorry that this update came so late D: but anyway, here is a dash of Jinhwan and I hope you enjoyed it! For those of you guys who wanted a more "Donghyuk-ish" chapter I'm sorry, it will come next time ^^ Thank you for all the comments and subs so far, you guys are my sunshine! lots of love xx]