Chapter Five

The eye of the thunderstorm

Donghyuk and Yura were finally on their way to the Japanese restaurant down the road after all the drama in her room. Donghyuk tried to convince Yura that it was fun to walk in the rain without the umbrella, but Yura insisted on bringing an umbrella, “We will both get sick if we get drenched in the rain!” So Donghyuk reluctantly shared an umbrella with Yura on their way. It was still raining and storming of course, so Donghyuk kept his arm on Yura’s shoulder as they walked through the streets and alleys. They occasionally earned stares from the people on the streets, but they couldn’t care less.

“When there is a lightning, tell yourself loudly, ‘There is going to be thunder, and I will face it head on!’” Donghyuk instructed Yura. At this moment, a lightning .

“Say it!” Donghyuk commanded.

“There... There is going to be thunder, and I will face it head on!” Yura said awkwardly. At that moment, the thunder booms and Yura shrieked really loudly, making them the centre of attention of everyone on the street. Yura’s hands flew to the sides of her head to cover her ears, causing the umbrella to drop onto the ground. Donghyuk quickly bent down to retrieve the umbrella, saying, “Park Yura, how can you just throw the umbrella away like this? We will all get sick!”

“Sorry, hehe.” Yura smiled sheepishly at him. They continued their journey and this time Donghyuk held the umbrella to avoid making another awkward scene on the crowded streets.

After a 5 minutes’ walk, they finally arrived at the sushi shop. They entered the shop and took a table by the sushi conveyor belt.

“Wow, this place is really cool...” Donghyuk muttered to himself.

“Hey, you have never been to a sushi shop before?” Yura asked, amazed.

“Yeah, I don’t think I have ever eaten sushi before, but I know what it looks like, because I saw a picture of it before.”

“Wow, you are missing out big time.”

Donghyuk stared at the conveyor belt with amusement as Yura placed her orders with the waitress’ help. The Japanese cuisine going round the conveyor belt were all so pretty and appetizing. Donghyuk felt his stomach growling as he stared at the food. Red, orange and yellow... Suddenly, Donghyuk felt dizzy after staring at the conveyor belt for so long. He placed his head in his palms.

After finishing placing the orders, Yura fished out her phone from her pocket and saw 3 missed call from Jinhwan. It must be him worrying about her in the thunderstorm. Yura was about to tell Donghyuk that she would go to the toilet to call Jinhwan when she saw him looking sick, head in his hands.

“Donghyuk, are you okay?” Yura asked.

“I think so, but the conveyor belt makes my head spin like crazy...”

“Who asked you to stare at the conveyor belt?” Yura teased, earning herself a glare from Donghyuk.

A few minutes later, their food arrived. Yura happily took a piece of salmon sashimi with her chopsticks, dipped it into the soya sauce and wasabi, then stuffed it all into .

“This is awesome.” She said with a satisfied sigh.

“What is that green paste?” Donghyuk asked.

“It’s called wasabi, and it is really nice. Make sure to take a lot of that when you eat!”

Donghyuk took a piece of salmon sashimi and as Yura instructed, coated his whole piece of sashimi with the green paste, dipped it into the soya sauce and stuffed it into his mouth.

Yura burst out laughing as Donghyuk let out a stifled cry and tears welled up in his eyes.

“This green paste is horrible! It makes my head want to explode. I swear I will never eat this disgusting paste again!” Donghyuk frowned at the wasabi. Yura smiled at Donghyuk’s childishness. In front of her, he acted all manly, but she was more than happy to see him unveiling his inner child.

Donghyuk turned to check the weather, and saw a couple kissing each other passionately in the rain outside. He blushed as he took in the scene.

“Hey, you’re not supposed to look.” Yura smiled at him.

“I know...”

“Have you ever had a girlfriend?”

“No, although I have a lot of female friends in hell, I don’t really think they are the girlfriend type.”

“Oh...” Yura responded softly. She was kind of shocked at Donghyuk’s single status as he was so handsome and caring and nice. She thought that girls would run to him at the sight of her.

“What about you? Do you have a boyfriend?”

“No...”

“Why not?”

“....”

“Do you want one?”

“.... Maybe I do...”

“I can be yours.”

“Idiot, how can you talk about this kind of thing so casually?” Yura said abruptly.

“ I was joking!” Donghyuk laughed at Yura’s reaction. Yura doesn’t know why, but she felt kind of sad when Donghyuk said that he was joking. What? Why did she feel sad? Does she like him now?

“So, we went for dinner together. Is this a date?” Donghyuk asked.

“It can be one if you want.” Yura smiled. The idea of having a date with Donghyuk was both fresh and exciting at the same time, like when the summer you have been waiting for finally arrives, and you feel the water washing over your feet at the beach.

After they cleared all the plates on the table, Donghyuk paid the bills with his fake credit card. They walked out of the shop and it was time for them to separate as the rain was starting to grow lighter.

“Thanks for today, Donghyuk. I really enjoyed spending time with you.” Yura smiled at him.

“Me too, Yura. The next storm, I will come back to your room! Wait for me!” Donghyuk said. Then he walked away, into a deserted alley where no one could see, and teleported back to hell.

Yura walked home by herself, and somehow, she missed Donghyuk on the way. He was just next to her, sharing the same umbrella as her when they were on their way here, but now his spot was empty. Scenes from the night started playing in her head, how he calmed her down with his gentle words and gestures... His arm felt so warm on her. She blushed as she recalled how their faces were just a few centimetres apart. She remembered scanning his whole face. His eyes so bright and always so innocent, but somehow has a badass feeling to it too. His nose so tall and thin. His lips... always carrying that y smirk of his. Suddenly, vibration in her pocket halted her train of thoughts. She regained her composure; what was she thinking? Wow, she thinks she is going crazy. She picks up her phone.

“Yah Park Yura, are you okay? I called you so many times!” From the other side of the line came Jinhwan’s voice.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Pick up your phone next time, idiot! I thought something happened to you!”

“I’m sorry, haha.” Yura laughed awkwardly. Why does talking to Jinhwan feel so awkward now?

“Well, good to hear that you’re okay. See you tomorrow!” Jinhwan hung up.