Chapter Nine

The eye of the thunderstorm

“Donghyuk ah! Aren’t you going to Earth today?” Hanbin’s voice resonated throughout their little house as Donghyuk lay in his bed, blanket covering all the way up his shoulders. He heard the familiar shuffles of Hanbin’s slippers, and just as he had expected, Hanbin has appeared at his door a few seconds later.

 

“Yah... are you really sick?” Hanbin said, a bit more gentle this time. Hanbin’s body blocked almost the whole door frame, preventing the light at the corridors from entering the dark room. In the lack of light, Donghyuk did look pale, with beads of sweat on his forehead. Instead of replying Hanbin, Donghyuk blinked at the rooftop as his head pounded with pain and his muscles screamed of ache. What a horrible day, Donghyuk thought to himself. He checked and the weather in Seoul was perfect for another date with Yura, but there he was, feverish and sick, lying in his bed. He missed Yura badly even though they just met two days ago, and goodness, he promised her that he will come back! What was she going to think of him now?

 

An irresponsible liar, possibly.

 

Donghyuk let out a long, frustrated breath, but as the hot air passed through his throat, it itched, causing him to double over in coughs. He heard Hanbin’s shuffles as he left the room. He let his eyes close slowly, the light from the corridors fading away, as he cursed the world for the hundredth time.

 

What a horrible day.

 

The tickling sensation of cold droplets woke Donghyuk for a start, followed by an icy towel landing on his forehead.

 

“Hanbin... Hanbin what are you doing!” Donghyuk stuttered as he watched Hanbin’s actions through his blurry eyes. Hanbin adjusted the towel’s position, and then clapped his hands approvingly, “Yah, I really did it well. Ta-dah! Kim Donghyuk you better be thankful.” Donghyuk was struggling to pull his hand out of his warm blanket to remove the icy thing on his forehead, “It’s freaking cold!”

 

“Yah idiot! Don’t touch it!” Hanbin slapped Donghyuk’s hand away from the towel, “It’s good for you. Listen. So your kind housemate here ran to his mother’s house asking for help after knowing that you are so sick. And his kind mother said that putting a cold towel on your head would help to lower your temperature, bla bla bla. Yeah. It’s all for you, Dong!” Hanbin flashed a proud grin.

 

“Thanks... but it’s really cold.” Donghyuk muttered, a thankful smile, “Do you think this towel will make me okay by tonight? I really need to go somewhere...”

 

“Not a chance you dumb, fever takes at least a night to go away.”

 

“Damn... but I really need to go somewhere!” Donghyuk whined as he thought of Yura.          

 

“Where?”

 

“To Seoul.”

 

“For what?”

 

“For my friend.” Despite his already flushed cheeks, he blushed really hard at the mention of Yura.

 

“Friend?”

 

“Maybe... girlfriend?” Donghyuk’s lips twisted into a smile.

 

“You have a girlfriend?” Hanbin gasped.

 

“You mean I can’t? At least, I call her my girlfriend.” Donghyuk said nonchalantly.

 

“Haha! What do you mean ‘you call her’? This kind of things has to be two-sided!” Hanbin laughed. He sat down at Donghyuk’s bedside, interested.

 

“Hmph! I will make it a two-sided thing the next time I go to Seoul.” Donghyuk smirked.

 

“Are you sure? You make it sound really easy, and a human girlfriend is not easy.”

 

“I will manage, watch me, hyung. Easy.”

 

“Ha ha, how are you going to confess to her?”

 

“I... er...”

 

“Ha! Learn from me, the romance master!” Hanbin stated proudly, “To get a girl to like you, you need to be manly and confess your feelings straightforwardly, such as ‘I love you’, along with a bunch of roses. Then, ask her, ‘Will you be my girlfriend?’ After she says yes, push her to the nearest wall and kiss her. Voila!”

 

“Have you tried it before?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Do you want practise?”

 

“With whom?”

 

“Me!”

 

“Ew, get away Hanbin, you gross. Sometimes I really wonder if you’re gay for me.”

 

“Excuse me, I am 100% straight. Get your facts right, Kimdong! I dated girls before!”

 

“Ah, right. I still don’t want to practise with you. Anyways I am sure I will succeed at first try.”

 

Hanbin removed Donghyuk’s towel and soaked it in the ice water, then squeezed it and positioned it on Donghyuk’s forehead again. Ruffling the younger’s hair, he said, “Rest well, pabo-yah.”

 

Hanbin then walked off, leaving Donghyuk alone in his room again. Donghyuk may have sounded really confident about Yura just now, but deep down, he is not. He was already disappointing Yura by not showing up tonight, and he has never confessed to anyone before. Yura was his first. What if she says no? I mean, they have met not long ago and he is from a whole different world. They only meet on rainy days. Other than their perfect interactions and feelings for each other, nothing else was going to hold their relationship together.

 

I’d still have to try, Donghyuk thinks. If Yura has been on his mind so often, it could only mean one thing. He had nothing to lose.

 

Images of Yura filled his head as his conscious drifted off to dreamland.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yura sat at her bed, a sulk on her face.

 

It has been storming for the past 2 hours, and Donghyuk has not come.

She did not want to admit it, but she has been praying for storms herself, and ever since the first thunder of the night, all that has been on her mind was Donghyuk, Donghyuk, Donghyuk. She has walked around her house 3 times to check if Donghyuk was hiding somewhere. She opened her closet doors and checked. She peeked under her bed for anything that Donghyuk could have left for her when she was in school. Maybe a note?

 

Nothing.

 

She missed him, and hoped that he would appear in front of her table now, a warm smile on his face, just like he had other stormy nights. But after 2 long hours of eternity, Yura knew that he was not coming today.

 

Where is he now? He said he will come back... Where is he when she needed him? Was he busy? Was he not feeling well? Did he have something to attend to that he could not make it for tonight? Did he forget about Seoul, forget about her?

 

She rubbed her sweaty palms against her bed sheet and comb her fingers through her hair again, trying to clear her thoughts away.  

 

Defeated by her heavy sadness and phobia, Yura lies down onto her bed, and closed her eyes. They have met for less than a month. He shouldn’t be on her mind so often, but he was.

 

At this moment, Yura’s phone buzzed.

 

“Hey, are you feeling okay?” Jinhwan’s voice was gentle.

 

“Jinhwan...” Once again, Jinhwan has been forgotten by Yura, who was completely preoccupied by Donghyuk. She continued, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

“Are you sure? You sound sad.”

 

“I do? Wanna come and cheer me up?” Yura asked, inviting Jinhwan to her house. What she needed now is not anymore useless thoughts about stupid Donghyuk, but a friend’s company.

 

 

[A/N: Hey guys! Poor Donghyuk, sick! :-( I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and let me know what you thought of it! ^^ by the way my lovely subbies, MERRY CHRISTMAS!! :D I truly hope you guys will have a happy and ejoyable day! To celebrate this joyful season, I have written a special Christmas one shot, featuring Chanyeol of EXO <3 (He's my bias HOHOHO) feel free to check it out here- http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/880259/the-tale-of-the-christmas-hat-fluff-oneshot-exo-chanyeol the story is partly inspired by EXO's new Christmas single, I am seriously addicted to that song gahh <3 anyways, if this chapter was a bit sad (because Dong and Yura are separated =( ) I promise I will make it up next time! p.s. also get yourselves ready for more jinhwan scenes since he is the second-main guy, afterall, I guess ^^ ]