Chapter Twelve

The eye of the thunderstorm

Saying Donghyuk is worried would be an understatement, because his heart feels like it was going to explode in anxiousness as he waited for his sentence. He prayed again and again for the sentence to not be too bad. Not suspension from upperworld, please. He could give them anything, but being suspended from teleporting was just no. He needed to see Yura so badly that he wanted to cry.

 

Hanbin nudged Donghyuk as the judge cleared his throat. Donghyuk snapped out of his thoughts and stared at the judge with puppy eyes. Hanbin held his hand tightly, as if saying it’s okay.

 

“Kim Donghyuk is suspended from teleporting for 2 weeks.”

 

Donghyuk felt his world tumbling down on him. His prayers were unheard. He gingerly retracted his hand from Hanbin’s grip, and covered his face as the first drop of tear rolled down his cheek, and then the second.

 

Oh god, he is going to miss Yura so much.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Jinhwan carried the box of cupcakes carefully as he hid himself behind the door of the classroom, occasionally glancing in to see Yura taking down notes on her notebook as she listened to the professor’s lecture. Finally, the class was over as the professor announced, “That’s it for today, you are dismissed.”

 

Jinhwan immediately stood straight, his hands wrapped tightly around the box of cupcakes, his legs together. His heart pumped with adrenaline as he sees Yura’s classmates leaving the classroom in groups, chattering about the lecture. Some of them glanced at him, but he put his finger at his lips to signal for them to keep quiet.

 

Finally, Yura appeared from the door. Jinhwan immediately went to her with the box of cupcakes, “Cupcakes for you, cupcake!”

 

Yura gasped, then broke into a sweet grin as she took the box of cupcakes in her hands, saying thank you as some “Wooo”s and “Awww”s erupted from passer-bys and some classmates.

 

“What kind of special day is this?” Yura asked as they walked down the corridor.

 

“It’s not a special day, but it’s just that you seem kind of sad these few days, so I thought I’d cheer you up with cupcakes.”

 

“Aww, you are so sweet, I swear.” Yura pinched Jinhwan’s cheeks, “Sweeter than the cupcakes.”

 

Jinhwan laughed heartily.

 

“Why are you so moody though?”

 

“It’s just... it’s nothing.” Yura offered a fake smile.

 

“Tell me!”

 

“It’s nothing, really!”

 

“Oh fine. If you say it’s nothing then I will believe it’s nothing then.” Jinhwan said, relenting to Yura’s stubbornness. “Do you want to study together tonight? I saw the broadcast and it said its going to be raining, so I figured I will keep you companied.”

 

“Sounds cool, but I am not sure if I can. My mom wanted me to ... eat dinner with her.” Yura lied. She was waiting for Donghyuk obviously. He had not come for the past 2 days when it rained, and Yura spent those rainy nights staring out at her window, at the rain hitting the glass pane. Where was he? He didn’t come and she missed him like mad. Had he decided that he was not going to come back for her anymore? Even after he said he loved her, he just left her so easily like that. But even though it felt like Donghyuk was toying with her, she still wanted to wait for Donghyuk. She promised herself that if Donghyuk does not appear tonight by 7pm, she would call Jinhwan over.

 

“You look moody again! Is something going on with your family?”

 

“No! Stop asking, Jinhwan! You know I won’t tell you.”

 

“Fine. Fine. I won’t ask anymore.” Yura smirked at Jinhwan’s helpless-puppy face.

 

Jinhwan continued chatting and laughing Yura on the way home, but deep in his heart he knew something was not right. Yura was hiding something from him, and he hated that feeling – being left out. Was it some family matters? School problems? Did she quarrel with her friend?

 

It had, and would never occur to him that his crush was in love with a supernatural creature called a semi-demon and that she missed him like crazy. Actually, he would be really sad if he knew.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

“Stop locking yourself up in your room and come out of your little cave Kimdong! You should at least eat something!” Hanbin attacked Donghyuk’s door with thunderous knocks again.

 

Silence.

 

“Dong, did you starve to death?”

 

“...”

 

“I am coming in!”

 

“...”

 

And so Hanbin unlocked the door with his spare key that he went to get at the locksmith. When Donghyuk locked himself in the room the whole day after the sentence, he could understand. He thought over it, and figured Donghyuk could survive since he knew Donghyuk has a secret food storage under his bed, and that he had a toilet in his room. The next day, Donghyuk did not come out either. Hanbin was a little worried, but he shrugged it off thinking that Donghyuk was probably doing fine, since he heard some movements in the room in the afternoon. But on the third day, Hanbin was really worried. That was the last straw.

 

“Yah Kim Donghyuk! Where are you?” Hanbin entered Donghyuk’s room to find his bed empty.

 

“Go away!” Hanbin heard Donghyuk’s muffled voice from the toilet.

 

“Come out of the freaking toilet! Are you stupid or something? You have a big nice room and you chose to stay in the toilet?” Hanbin felt rage rising up in his chest. He knew he should not be pissed at his roommate’s melancholy, but then he was really fed up with Donghyuk’s childish behaviour.

 

“Why are you scolding me?” Hanbin heard Donghyuk say in between muffled sobs.

 

“I have had enough of you! You can’t just cry and cry for the whole two weeks. Get a life, Kim Donghyuk! Not seeing your stupid girlfriend does not mean the world is dead!”

 

“Shut up and leave! I don’t need to hear any of this.”

 

“I was just being nice, and you are being a . I will leave, then. Continue living like this if you want to.” Hanbin screamed at the toilet door, then walked away. As he turned the door knob and was about to leave the room, he heard the toilet door unlock and then felt Donghyuk’s arms drape over his shoulders, ugly sobs filling his ears as Donghyuk managed between sniffs, “I am sorry, Hanbin.”

 

Hanbin was surprised that he was insensitive enough to scream at Donghyuk when he was already crying. Hanbin turned around and hugged his roommate back, patting his back as his rage dissolved into nothing, “I am sorry I screamed at you.”

 

As they hugged, Hanbin pushed them towards the bed, until the back of Donghyuk’s knees hit the edge of the bed and finally gave way, causing both of them to fall into the bed.

 

“Stop crying, idiot. You still have me.”

 

Donghyuk giggled a bit, “That sounds like a cheesy and gay statement.”

 

“You , I am leaving!” Hanbin sat up on the bed as Donghyuk grabbed his hand, “I was joking!”

 

Hanbin lay back down next to Donghyuk, “Kim Donghyuk, you are so stupid.”

 

“Did you really have to remind me that?”

 

“Why in hell did you not get one of the pass before you start teleporting?”

 

“What pass?”

 

“You don’t know about the pass? The pass that lets you bring your earth items back to hell! I can now conclude that you have really been living in a cave, my friend.”

 

“There was such a thing?” Donghyuk sat up in astonishment.

 

“You really did not know?” Hanbin sat up in astonishment too.

 

“Oh! Oh my god...” Donghyuk facepalmed himself as all the puzzles all fitted into one piece now. “No wonder you could bring your clothes back to hell!”

 

“Oh god, you are slower than a turtle.”

 

“And how do you get that pass?”

 

“You go to apply for it at the customs, Donghyuk.”

 

“Oh... I feel so stupid now.” Donghyuk rolled his eyes as he fell back into the bed and fought the urge to give himself a good hard punch on the face.

 

“You should feel stupid.”

 

Donghyuk decided that Hanbin deserved a punch more than himself, so he landed his fist onto Hanbin’s stomach.

 

“Ouch!”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Tonight, again, Yura stared at the window decorated with rain drops with a heavy heart. It was 6.57pm, and no Donghyuk was in her room again. Maybe he really was joking when he confessed, and she took it all too seriously. Maybe he was just playing with her feelings. Yura sighed, but I really did love him.

 

6.58pm. Yura wanted to cry, but she felt stupid crying over this. So she held her tears back by staring at the ceiling so that the tears will not roll off her cheeks.

 

Her watch beeped, announcing 7pm. That’s it, screw Kim Donghyuk.

 

Yura called Jinhwan and asked him to come over to her house to study, telling him that the dinner with her mom was called off.

 

“Sure, I will be there in ten minutes, hon.” He replied, and Yura could imagine Jinhwan grinning like a baby from his voice. She smiled for the first time in the past 3 hours, maybe she should be happy too, even when Donghyuk is not here.

 

She smiled as she said to herself, “As long as Jinhwan is in my house, I will pretend Donghyuk does not exist.”