Chapter Six

The eye of the thunderstorm

These few days, it has only been raining when Yura was in school. As much as she wanted to see Donghyuk, she couldn’t as she was stuck in school, and Donghyuk wouldn’t know how to come to her school. She stared dreamily at the window, at the rain outside, as she thought about Donghyuk again. Why does she keep thinking of him? Yura was really confused. They had spent so little time with each other, but he was glued to her mind. Was she in love with him? God. She did not want to admit that she was slowly falling for the semi-demon, but why else would she be thinking of him for the whole of past few days? Why else would she be secretly praying for storms when she was scared of thunder? She thinks that she is going crazy, but that was exactly what love felt like. Going crazy. The existence of semi-demons was so absurd to tell anyone about, and being in love with one was just insane. All she thought about was Donghyuk, storms, Donghyuk. She wonders what Donghyuk was doing then.

“Yura! Let’s go!” Junhwe, Yura’s classmate came over to her table as Dr Morlan left the classroom. They were set to go to her house to complete their literature project today.

“Yeah sure, let’s go!” Yura smiled at Junhwe. Junhwe was a fun friend, but he was also famous for being a playboy, rumoured to have broken five girls’ hearts since he entered university. So Yura was not interested in bringing their relationship anywhere further than friends.

As they strolled down the small road to Yura’s house side by side, Junhwe started a conversation.

“The weather nowadays is so weird, right? It storms every day.”

“Well, yeah. I guess it’s the stormy season.”

“You know, when the thunder keeps ringing during class, I really cannot concentrate. It is so annoying.” Junhwe pouted.

“Exactly! I don’t really like this kind of weather...” Was Yura lying? She doesn’t know anymore.

As they arrived at Yura’s house, Yura fishes out her house keys, “It’s messy in there, I’m sorry Junhwe. But I guess there’s still space for us to do the project...”

“Tsk tsk, you should at least tidy your house now that you have a guest!” Junhwe said as he jokingly crossed his arms, acting like a king.

The door opens, and a bad smell greets the two. The house was emitting a horrible scent which smelled like rotten food, causing Junhwe and Yura to cover their nose with their hands immediately.

“Ew Yura it stinks!” Junhwe said, his voice muffled from his hand covering his mouth.

“It wasn’t like this when I left house this morning!” Yura said as she walks into her house hesitantly. What could be stinking so much? She has washed her bowls from this morning and sent her dirty clothes to the laundry before she went to school.... Yura looks around and scans for any possible source for the smell, but finds nothing. Junhwe followed Yura into her house in small footsteps

“Yura you live in a stinky place!” Junhwe jokingly said while poking Yura’s shoulder.

“Yah Koo Junhwe! It is not normally like this, okay? Don’t get the wrong idea! I am a very clean person!” Yura retorted, giving Junhwe a glare. She picks up the air freshener in the toilet and sprays a great amount at the surroundings, “Ah, a lot better now.”

“Yeah... But can we go somewhere else? I don’t want to get stinky. I’m wearing my favourite jacket today.” Junhwe said. If you think that Junhwe is childish and annoying, he is just straight-forward, and pretty much everyone around him is used to that fact. It is kind of his charm, being so straight-forward and all. So Yura doesn’t take his mean words to her heart, and replied, “Fine, dumb Ju-ne. Shall we go to the library?”

“Yeah.”

Therefore, the duo made their way to the library.

“Hmm Yura, the smell at your place strongly remind me of rotten salmon.” Junhwe said as they walked towards the town library not far from Yura’s house.

“Salmon?” Yura stared at Junhwe questioningly.

“Yeah. My family have a salmon shop, so I know the salmon smell well.”

“Are you sure? But that’s not possible, since I don’t have any salmon at my house.”

“I’m sure! Wanna bet? If the smell really comes from salmon, then you will have to treat me to lunch.”

“Sure, let’s bet, because I’m very sure that I have no salmon at my house.”

“Get your money ready Park Yura, I will make sure I order something extremely expensive and burn a hole in your wallet.” Junhwe smirked. He doesn’t know why, but he was confident about this one.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After a funny feeling, Donghyuk feels himself landing on the ground. He was really excited when he found out that Seoul was raining tonight, as he was not able to meet Yura for so long. He thinks he missed her. He teleported to Yura’s house a few times when she was in school without her knowing, though. But her house just felt empty without her, there was no fun. When she was in school, he spends most of his time at her house reading through books on her shelf.

Scanning his surroundings, he sighed in relief as he confirmed that he landed at the correct destination - Yura’s room. However, Yura was not in her bed. Donghyuk was quite shocked, has she gotten over her phobia already?

Donghyuk walked around Yura’s house in an attempt to find her. It was not school hours, so she should be at home. As Donghyuk entered the living room, he found Yura in the kitchen, looking through her refrigerator.

“Woo my friend, you aren’t in your bed!” Donghyuk said as he walked into the kitchen.

“Hey Donghyuk! I’m not in my bed, I’m getting better during storms.” Yura smirked, happy to see Donghyuk.

“What are you doing in the kitchen? Looking for something to eat?” Donghyuk asked.

“No, can you smell something funny? There has been a weird smell at my house since yesterday afternoon. I came home and it stinks... So I have been trying to look for the source of the disgusting smell, and now I am checking the fridge for anything rotten...”

“Oh... Wait, I have something to show you! Come here!” Donghyuk gestured for Yura to follow him as they walked back into Yura’s room. Yura looked as Donghyuk lay himself onto the ground and crawled under Yura’s bed, reaching for something, and then stood back up with a red plastic bag in his hand. Donghyuk raised the little plastic bag with a triumphant smile on his face, “Guess what I got for you!”

“What’s that?” Yura asked, half suspicious, but half touched that Donghyuk actually got her something. Donghyuk handed her the plastic bag. She was guessing what was inside that plastic bag when she realised that the horrid smell at her house has just gotten even worse...

“It’s salmon! I got some salmon for you! Aren’t you glad?” Donghyuk smiled cheekily, proud of himself. For a moment, Yura was speechless. Junhwe was right. The bad smell that has been haunting Yura’s house for 2 days was caused by rotten salmon. Yura sighed as she face-palmed herself, too shocked to say anything. She blinked as she thought of Junhwe’s deal with her. Should she be laughing or crying?

“Oh my God Kim Donghyuk, you are so stupid!” Yura finally managed.

“You ungrateful brat! How can you call me stupid after I got you free food?” Donghyuk rolled his eyes at Yura.

“Do you realise that there is a horrible smell at my house?”

“I am having a flu so I cannot really smell...”

“Anyway, thanks to you, my house smells like a rubbish bin filled with rotten salmon, literally. Don’t you know that this kind of raw meat has to be stalled in the refrigerator? Goodness, you kept it under my bed?”

“I’m sorry then... but how am I supposed to know! I came from hell you know? All we eat there is canned food!”

“When did you even buy it?”

“When you were at school yesterday afternoon.” Donghyuk answered innocently. Yura sighed again. She couldn’t blame Donghyuk, she knows that he did this with a good thought. He was like a child, with no common sense about things on earth. Yura fiddled with the plastic bag with her hand, “I’m sorry Dong, but this thing cannot be eaten anymore, it is rotten now. I’ll throw it out, okay? Then let’s go get some food.”

“... Fine.” Donghyuk muttered. He felt really stupid, how could he not realise that the meat cannot be kept in room temperature? Well, he was not supposed to know but still... he made Yura’s house a mess. He made a mental reminder to learn more about how things worked on earth after he returned to hell, so he will not make a fool out of himself again, especially not in front of Yura. He did not know why, but he did not want to look stupid in front of Yura. He wanted to be manly to her, and protect her. He felt that she was different. He wanted to know her better. Every time he came, he just wants to stay for the whole night and talk to her, even knowing that he would not be able to move at all when the rain stops. What was this feeling...?