Chapter Four

The eye of the thunderstorm

It was the same old, boring road that Jinhwan and Yura walks on their way home every day, but today, it just feels different. From the grey skies and strong wind Yura could tell that it was going to rain any time soon, but she still had a smile on her face as she thinks of her encounter with the semi-demon, Donghyuk three days ago. Don’t get her wrong, not that she liked him or anything, but she has been dying to know about hell and supernatural things, because she has been interested in those ever since she was a kid. She just found it really cool that she was lucky enough to come across Donghyuk, who was a semi-demon plus was kind enough to share about hell.

“Yura yah, why are you all sunshine and daisies? Aren’t you usually extremely sulky before a storm?” Jinhwan, not being able to hold his curiosity, finally asked. He was actually really happy to see Yura smiling this few days, as she was usually grumpy and sad during the stormy seasons. Also, he thinks that he might have started to have feelings for Yura. He did not realise it himself, until his friends started teasing him about how he always cared about Yura and all. Then, it hit him. But then again, he would not want Yura to reject him or for their relationship to become awkward. He was happy with what they were now, close friends. So, he decided to keep those feelings to himself for now.

“Um... That would be none of your business.” Yura sticks out her tongue at Jinhwan.

“Why are you so mean to me!” Jinhwan pretends to sulk. This earned him a smack on the shoulder from Yura.

“Ouch! That hurts!” He screamed while dramatically rubbing his shoulder.

“Too bad!”

“No, it actually hurts, stupid.” Jinhwan pretended to be angry and quickened his steps, leaving Yura behind.

“Okay okay, don’t be angry, we’ll go get ice cream, okay? My treat.” Yura runs after Jinhwan.

“Fine.” Jinhwan replied.

Hahahah, my plan worked and now Yura’s treating me! Jinhwan thinks to himself as his imaginary devil horns stuck out.

 

“Welcome! Oh, it’s my favourite customers!” Mrs Oh, the owner of the ice cream shop greeted when the pair finally arrived at the ice cream shop.

“Hello Mrs Oh!” Jinhwan and Yura replied in unison as they sat at a table by the window.

“So my lovely, what would you like today?” Mrs Oh approached their tables and asked with a smile.

“Just the usual for me, Mrs Oh!” Yura said.

“I want to try something new today because Yura is treating me. Can I have a butterscotch banana split, please?” Jinhwan said happily.

“Sure, I’ll be right back.” Mrs Oh said with a grin. They were at their favourite ice cream shop in their neighbourhood. The shop was not very big, but very well decorated, which made them feel at home and comfortable. Also, there were not many customers and is usually not very crowded, just the way they liked it. The shop owner, Mrs Oh, was very kind and friendly. She recognises Jinhwan and Yura, and sometimes even approaches them to chat for a bit.

“Yah! That sounded really expensive, Jinhwan.” Yura mumbled to Jinhwan after Mrs Oh left their table.

“:Too bad, you’re treating me.” Jinhwan said plainly. Yura sighed as she thought of her poor wallet.

 

A few moments later, Mrs Oh came back with Yura’s favourite double chocolate ice cream cone and Jinhwan’s butterscotch banana split. The shop was not very busy, so Mrs Oh stayed at their table for a while for a little chat.

“I have missed you guys so much! So, how have you been?” Mrs Oh asked.

“Oh, we’ve missed you too! But we couldn’t come often because school has been quite busy lately...” Yura replied.

“Oh, I do hope you are coping well with university, my dear. Jinhwan, help her when she needs, yeah?”

“Of course, Mrs Oh.” Jinhwan smiled.

“So um... I’m sorry if I am asking too much, but are you guys together? Dating? I have been curious about this as you always come together and go together.” Mrs Oh’s sudden question turns Jinhwan’s face bright red, like an apple. However, before he had time to reply, Yura screamed, “No! No! I would never be together with this idiot here! We are just really close friends. Heehee!”

At Yura’s statement, Jinhwan’s heart sank a little. Only if he was brave enough to confess his true feelings to Yura, then he wouldn’t have to go through all this heartache. He just smiled sheepishly and nodded, pretending to agree to Yura.

“Ah, I see! Relax Yura, I was just curious! But why not? I mean, you guys really match each other...” Mrs Oh replied. Then, a couple entered the shop, causing the telltale bells at the door to ring.

“Oh, there are customers. I’ll go and help them first, enjoy your ice cream!” Mrs Oh said, and hurried off to the customers.

Jinhwan pretends to yawn and covers his face in an attempt to hide his red face from Yura. He knew that it was not right for him to be imagining himself with Yura since she had no feelings for him, but he just couldn’t help but smile at the thought of them being together. But at the same time, there was this unexplainable sadness in his heart.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Donghyuk nudges the ball under the blanket again.

“Yura come out! There is nothing to be scared of.” He said.

“Mmm...” Yura responded softly under the blanket. At this moment, the thunder booms and Donghyuk saw Yura jump under the blanket. In an attempt to comfort her, he sat at her bed side and placed his arm around her shoulder.

“Hey, let’s go out to the streets and play! It is the best to play on the streets when it’s storming...” Yura who was under the blanket did not respond to Donghyuk. After staying in that position for a while, Donghyuk started to feel awkward, so he let his hand drop to his side and stood up. After a long sigh, Donghyuk finally announces, “Park Yura, I officially give up on you. I am now going to entertain myself with your funny book.”

“It’s not a funny book.” Donghyuk heard Yura mutter under the blanket, but did not respond. He walked out of her room and collected “My Life in Hell” from her living room. As Donghyuk re-enters the room, he hears Yura say, “Donghyuk... Can you read to me?”

“Fine, provided that you get out of your stupid blanket after one chapter.”

“No!”

“Please Park Yura, I will treat you to food okay?” Donghyuk tries. Yura’s eyes lit up at the thought of food. Free food? She was craving for Japanese food. However, she would have to overcome her fear and get out of her safety zone... Anyways, food sounded nice and she decided that she will give it a try.

“Fine....”

Donghyuk sits down at Yura’s table and opens My Life in Hell to where he left off last time.

“I pleaded with the talking skull, “Please let me go. I am not dead! I still have a lot of time on earth...” But he was merciless, and his eyes grew red as he replied, “Once you are here, there is no going back.” Tears welled up in my eyes as I thought of my parents, my family, my friends and everything else that I would miss dearly on earth. I really wanted to go home, but I was trapped in this bloody place. Oh, somebody save me!”

As Donghyuk lifted his head from the book, he was greeted by a messy-haired Yura, sitting at her bed side, finally out of her blanket. For a moment, she stared at him and he stared at her.

“Wow.” Donghyuk managed.

“I’m fantastic, yeah? Now for the food, I want AHHHHHHH!” Yura shrieked in the middle of her sentence as the thunder sounds again.

“Hey, don’t be scared. I’m here, right? As for the food....?” Donghyuk asked.

“I... I want sushi.” Yura said shakily. Her fear was starting to overpower her, causing her heart to race, her breath quickened, beads of cold sweat forming on her head. The world started spinning around her. Then, she felt a hand around her shoulders. “Relax, Yura. The thunder isn’t going to do anything to you! It is just going to go boom and boom, but that’s just that. You’re safe here. Be brave! I’ll be here with you.” Donghyuk said gently at her ear, his warm breath tickling her neck. Yura turned her head and Donghyuk’s face was right in front of hers, the tip of their nose merely 5 cm apart. Yura blushed at the intimacy. She hated to admit it, but Donghyuk was really handsome. She shifted uncomfortably, but Donghyuk’s hand did not budge, forcing them to stay in that position.

Slowly, the spinning in Yura’s head came to a halt, and her breathed slowed. Her heart was not running because of the thunder anymore. She rarely survived panic attacks like this one. But Donghyuk felt like magic. When he was there, Yura did not feel as scared anymore. Was it his words? His hand? Or just his mere presence in her room? She did not know, but she knew that tonight was going to be fine, because he was there.

“Do you want milk and honey? My mom always made that for me when I was scared.” Donghyuk offered, hand still on Yura’s shoulder.

“No, it’s fine... Just stay like this. Don’t even move your hand.” Yura said.

So, Donghyuk remained there for the next 5 minutes or so, his hand around Yura, their heads 15 centimetres apart. He felt a bit awkward, but if that was what it takes to make his friend feel okay, he wouldn’t mind. Yura felt ticklish in her heart.