Chapter Seven

The eye of the thunderstorm

“So...  I have this weird feeling lately... “ Donghyuk muttered at Yura, who is munching on her burger.

“This burger is really good!” Yura mumbled while chewing, causing Donghyuk to grimace, “Gross. Please close your mouth when you eat, thank you. Are you even listening to me?”

“Oh sorry, please continue.” Yura smiled sheepishly, sipping on her drink. The pair were at a fast food restaurant, enjoying their dinner.

“So I was saying, that I have been having this weird feeling lately... It’s like... It’s kind of hard to describe...” Donghyuk placed his chin on his hand.

“Say it!” Yura said, smiling.

“You feel special. I have never felt this attracted to a human being before, and you’re my first time... When I went to Chicago, this did not happen. But when I am with you, I just want to stay and not return to hell, because you are fun.” Donghyuk said as he felt his face heat up. He did not know what he was talking about and why was he telling this to Yura, but he just felt like. He continued, “I think... I think that it’s because I like being with you. I think...”

Yura tried to keep a straight face, but couldn’t help blushing at Donghyuk’s words and his innocent, red face. Was this a confession? Yura’s heart raced as she anticipated Donghyuk’s next words.

“You think?” Yura prompted.

“I think it’s because you know the real me and it’s also because you’re books are entertaining.” Donghyuk finished. Yura rolled her eyes. It was not really a confession after all, was it? So much for a romantic ending to a confession. Well, it was kind of a confession, but not the kind that Yura wanted. Which kind did Yura want to hear? She didn’t know, or does she?

“You only like being with me because my books are entertaining? How sweet.” Yura said, pouting. Donghyuk reached out to ruffle her fringe as he responded, “No, that’s not what I mean. I like being with you.”

“Well, I like being with you too, because I like the place you came from.”

“You like those kind of things?” Donghyuk asked, stuffing French fries into his mouth.

“Yeah, why not? I mean supernatural stuff is all cool and fantastic!”

“Usually humans don’t openly talk about those things, do they?”

“Maybe they don’t.. but that doesn’t mean that it’s not cool. Why else would there be super cool semi-demons like you?” Yura grinned.

“Aww, you just said that I’m super cool. Thank you.” Donghyuk grinned, his eyes forming two lines, his dimple deepening. Yura blushed at the sight of his dimple. She has always had a thing for those dimples, and she just wanted to poke Donghyuk’s cheek. And so she did.

“Ouch, what was that for?” Donghyuk said.

“You’re dimpled. How cute!” Yura smiled.

“How is that cute? Dimples are not supposed to happen! It’s a kind of muscle defect!”

“It’s an awesome defect, then! How I hope I had dimples too. I’m jealous, Kim Donghyuk.”

Yura liked Donghyuk’s visuals more and more as she continued discovering his cute features. She realised that he has eyes that smile, shoulders broad enough for her to place her head on, lips that are constantly cheery red... and dimpled. He was just visually perfect. Were all semi-demons this handsome? Yura wondered. But even if all the semi-demons were this handsome, Yura thinks that Donghyuk may be better than the rest, even if just by a bit. Yura blushes again.

“Donghyuk-ah. Do you like Seoul so far?” Yura asked, lowering her head, avoiding Donghyuk’s eyes. She sometimes worry that Donghyuk may not come back to find her after he leaves. I mean, who knows? He may just tell Yura good-bye and teleport back to hell, and never come back. He had the freedom to choose where he wanted to go every time, and Yura wouldn’t know if he suddenly gets bored of Seoul, bored of her. And it breaks her heart to think that Donghyuk may not come back to Seoul, and that they wouldn’t meet again.

“Yeah, it’s a nice city. With nice food, nice places to go to and nice people.” Donghyuk replied.

“I’m glad you like Seoul.”

“Why do you look so.... deep in thoughts?” Donghyuk asked.

“I... I am scared that you may one day not like Seoul anymore and not come back. I think I will really miss you.” Yura said with a sad smile.

“You will miss me!” Donghyuk smirked, trying to lighten up the mood. Yura looked kind of sad, and Donghyuk didn’t like it.

“I’m being serious!” Yura pouted, “Please always come back okay?”

“I promise that even if I am not coming back anymore, I will tell you, okay? So don’t worry baby, give me a smile.” Donghyuk ruffled Yura’s hair again, grinning. It has never occurred to him, how easy people grow attached to each other. He has just met Yura for 3 weeks, yet she felt like an old friend, and he always could talk to her comfortably. She was different from Joy from Chicago, different from anyone else he met on earth. With others, he had to wreck his brain to think of conversations that wouldn’t make him look stupid, make up stories so they won’t think he is weird. But with Yura, his words come naturally, their conversations carry on and on without any effort. He could act like himself in front of her. To be honest, if they were not to meet again, he would miss her too. He would miss her ridiculous phobia of storms, her sassiness, her cuteness. Her.

“Promise?” Yura sticks out her pinky, and Donghyuk raises his own, “Promise.”

They smiled at each other, their eyes glistening.

Yura’s phone buzzed in her pocket. Probably just a text from Jinhwan, she thought to herself, and ignored the text. Nothing could spoil this moment she was enjoying.

“How long do you semi-demons live?” Yura asked.

“Make a guess.” Donghyuk smirked again, and Yura’s heart was shot with a thousand of Cupid’s stupid love arrows. She didn’t know whether she should hate it or love it when Donghyuk smirks, it was distracting but awesomely cute at the same time, because of his dimples. His goddamned dimples.

“80 plus years? By the way that’s how long a human live, on average.”

“I know, I’m not dumb. Wrong!”

“200 years?”

“Wrong!”

“50 years?”

“Wrong!” Donghyuk grinned, Yura rolled her eyes.

“300?”

“Nope!”

“Don’t tell me...” Yura stared at Donghyuk, who smiled knowingly, asking, “What?”

“You’re immortal?”

“Bingo! I’m immortal. I stop ageing at 21.” Donghyuk grinned with pride.

“Holy , you’re immortal.” Yura blinked in awe.

“Yeah, I’m immortal. Thanks for the profanity.”

“Goodness. How do you actually die? Wait, can you actually die?”

“Of course I can die, idiot. That’s if I get physically injured really really seriously. My body is the same as any other human beings. I die when I lose too much blood, when I’m brain dead, when my heart is damaged, blah blah blah.” Donghyuk explained lazily, waving his hand around as he gestures.

“Cool! Is your blood red, like mine?”

“I thought that was obvious...”

“Damn Kim Donghyuk!”

“You have a tendency to swear a lot when you are shocked, Park Yura!”

“Sorry, but wow, your immortality makes you ten times cooler.”

“Thanks?” Donghyuk raised an eyebrow.

“What happens to you when the rain stops and you’re stuck on earth?”

“My heart stops. I don’t breathe.”

“Doesn’t that mean you die?”

“I guess you’re half correct... how do I explain this? I basically lie on the ground like a corpse until it rains again.”

“Holy ... has that ever happen?”

“Sadly, yes. There was once I was in Chicago, and the rain stopped when I was here. Luckily I lay in a deserted alley, so no one noticed. If someone found me and brought me to the hospital or something, it will be super troublesome, because they will keep asking about where I came from, where I live and all those. It rained a few hours later, and I was okay again. But that was a frightening experience.” Donghyuk still remember clearly how he was about to teleport back to hell when the rain suddenly stopped, his eyes losing focus, his eyelids closing, his vision covered by huge, black spots. His head spun. He tried to hold on to the bricks on the wall, but he felt himself falling backwards onto the cold, wet ground. His head hit the ground hard and sent a excruciating pain throughout his body. He couldn’t see, couldn’t hear, couldn’t move a muscle. He tried to stay awake, but something was his consciousness away. He stopped breathing, and finally his heart stopped pumping altogether. It was horrifying.

“I see... you’d better be careful next time! But don’t worry, if I happen to come across your body lying on the streets of Seoul, I will make sure I drag you back to my house by your feet and lend you my sofa until it rains again.” Yura grinned.

“How sweet of you.” Donghyuk laughed.

“The rain is ceasing, I think you should go back now...” Yura said as she stared out of the window. There was a heavy sadness in her heart as she thinks of going home all alone without Donghyuk, but she prioritised Donghyuk’s safety first.

“Yeah, I should.”

“Thanks for tonight, Dongdong! Make sure you come back!” Yura said, pinching Donghyuk’s cheek lightly. They smiled at each other.

Yura turned around, and was about to walk out of the restaurant when she felt a tuck on her sleeve, and then felt herself being embraced in a pair of warm arms. Her head rested naturally on the person’s right shoulder, and as she turned, she was faced with Donghyuk’s handsome face. Yura felt her heartbeat speed up as Donghyuk’s warm breath tickled her neck. Her face heated up immediately, creating a whole new level of blushing. The butterflies in her stomach were having a crazy party. A second later, she was released from his embrace.

“Wh... what was that for?” Yura asked, avoiding Donghyuk’s gaze as she wished that Donghyuk didn’t notice her red face.

“I just felt like hugging you.” Donghyuk stared at Yura with a smile on his face. Yura looked up and stared back into Donghyuk’s dark brown orbs, in which she discovers a whole new galaxy.

 

[A/N: Holla! That was so much fluff HAHAH Hope you guys enjoyed it because I was smiling like an idiot while writing this! XD Thanks for reading =) xx ]