Chapter One

The eye of the thunderstorm

Yura was just trying to finish her assignment when the skies suddenly grew darker with thick clouds.

A long frustrated sigh escaped Yura’s mouth. “Please don’t let it storm now! At least let me finish this assignment first, please....” She prayed. If it rains now, she would never finish her assignment by tomorrow. The change from a high school student to a university student had definitely hit her hard, and this first year at Seoul National University has been hectic for her. She took up the course of English Literature, and although she enjoyed the subject, she honestly thinks that her professor, Dr Morlan gives way too much assignments. To make it worse, lately it has been a stormy season and due to her phobia of thunderstorms, she was barely managing to hand up her assignments on time.

To her dismay, a lightning strikes. Yura panicked. She was just busily climbing onto her bed when the thunder rocks her entire room. She let out a small shriek and hides under her blanket. It boggles her mind how she is still terrified of lightning and thunder at this age. Sometimes, she tries to muster all her courage and pick herself up to face the weather, but a lightning strikes and her hands automatically flies up to the sides of her head to cover her ears, her eyes immediately shut closed, her legs weak, her mind blank, her breaths uneven. She mentally curses herself for being a coward and imagines how she would be spending the rest of the night here in her blanket instead of at her table completing her assignment, how Dr Morlan would give her looks of disapproval when she turns in her half-done papers tomorrow. The thunder booms once again, Yura trembles in her blanket as tears welled up in her eyes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Donghyuk teleports for the first time to Seoul in a stormy night. His targeted destination was in a male toilet cubicle in a shopping mall, but when he reached his actual destination, it looked nothing like a toilet cubicle...

There were flowery curtains at the window, shelves filled with books and a table by the window with a laptop on it. The laptop showed a half done essay titled “An Investigation of Shakespeare’s ‘Macbeth’, by PARK YURA”. Park Yura... Park Yura... Hmm, this name has a special ring to it. Donghyuk liked it. A phone lay besides the laptop, its screen blinking to convey the urgency of an incoming call. It reads “Incoming call – Jinhwan ^^~” Donghyuk knew how phones worked, and he found them interesting. He even bought himself one with a fake credit card that he brought along from hell to Chicago, but he was forced to leave it as he was not allowed to bring any items from the earth back to hell.

Donghyuk scratches his head in confusion as he turned and faced a pink bed with a blanket and something wiggling underneath. It looked like a person hiding underneath, Donghyuk was able to make out the shape of a person sitting down and hugging his/her knees. This was someone’s apartment, and Donghyuk figures that he should not wonder around people’s house without permission for too long. Therefore he exits the room and enters the living room. The lights in the living room were not on, but the constant strikes of lightning allowed Donghyuk to see. He was about to leave through the door when a book titled “My Life in Hell” on the book shelf caught his eye. Immediately, he changes his mind and makes his way towards the book. He picks it up and opens it. Being the curious semi-demon Donghyuk is, he has always wondered what human beings thought about his home.

“As I entered hell, my heart raced. This place way horrifying! There were spiders and skulls on the ground, security guards with monstrous features standing at the sides of the road, a sword in each of their hands. The skies were bloody red, and everything seemed lifeless...”

Donghyuk almost burst out laughing. How could human’s perspective of hell be so wrong and different from the reality? Hell is not all that terrible. At least, the skies weren’t bloody red and there weren’t skulls on the ground. Hell is just like earth, but there was no sun, so there was no day and only an eternal night. Yes, there are creatures with monstrous features, those are the demons. But they are friendly and nice! In fact, Donghyuk father was a demon himself, and Donghyuk loved him. Sadly, they don’t meet often as father lives in a cave up the mountains, while Donghyuk lives in town. Most of the streets in town were occupied with semi-demons just like himself. Donghyuk lived with his best friend and house mate, Kim Han Bin.

Donghyuk found the book absolutely hilarious and entertaining, and would love to continue reading it. However, the storm was starting to cease and it was time that he had to teleport back to hell. He reluctantly puts down the book and teleports off, back to his house in hell.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

After hiding in her blanket for close to an hour, Yura finally feels secure enough to leave her bed and continue with her life. She goes to her table and checks her phone. There was a missed call and an unread message waiting for her.

INCOMING MESSAGE

From: Jinhwan ^^~

Yah Yura are you okay? Bet you were under your blanket! Hahah! Hope you’re doing okay even though its storming like crazy~ See you tomorrow...

Jinhwan was Yura’s close friend, her neighbour and her senior in school. He knew of her phobia, so he was always worried for her especially in this kind of weather. Yura replied Jinhwan assuring him that she was okay, which partly was a lie, then went into the living room for a cup of warm water that would calm her nerves. Sipping on the warm water, Yura feels safe and warm again. She scans her living room, and everything else was the same... except for her favourite book titled “My Life in Hell”. She had always been into this kind of supernatural, crazy stuff. She loved it.

She picked up the book and raised an eyebrow, confused. She clearly remembered placing it back to the shelf neatly when she finished it for the umpteenth time yesterday night. Then, what is it doing on the tea table now...