Chapter Eleven

The eye of the thunderstorm

After their overly cheesy confession and stuffing their stomach full with salmon sashimi and sushi rolls, Donghyuk and Yura arrived at an accessories shop in an attempt to get themselves, a ‘couple memento’, as Yura calls it.

 

“I like this one, Dong what do you think?” Yura said cheekily, waving a brown bracelet in the air.

 

“Nope.” Donghyuk glanced at the bracelet and decided against it as he did not think brown colour matched with him well.

 

With a pout on her face, Yura went back to choosing another bracelet that may suit their hearts.

 

“Yura I found one!” Donghyuk screamed across the store, earning himself judging stares from other patrons. But he couldn’t care less. Yura ran to him at the speed of light, excited.

 

“Oh my god it’s so perfect! We are totally getting this!” Yura exclaimed as she snatched the black bracelet out of Donghyuk’s hand.

 

Donghyuk settled the payment, and the two were on their way back to Yura’s house. The rain seemed endless.

 

“Why is it raining so abnormally long today?” Yura asked as they walked back home sharing the shelter of a single umbrella, Donghyuk’s arm around her waist.

 

“I have no idea, but it’s great, isn’t it? We get to spend more time with each other. If it could, I hope it rained forever so I could stay with you forever.”

 

Yura blushed profusely at his words. Being childish as he is, he probably did not mean those words as cheesy ones, but they sure sounded sweet at Yura’s ears, spreading warm honey all over her heart.

 

As they reached the apartment, they sat side by side on the bed. Donghyuk fished out the bracelets from the shopping bag, “I am going to try this on!”
 

“No Dong! I am going to wear it for you. And you shall wear it for me.”

 

“Why are you making this so ceremonious? We are not even getting married.” Donghyuk rolled his eyes. Ignoring his words, Yura took Donghyuk’s hand into hers as she carefully and gently placed the black bracelet around his wrist.

 

“My turn.” Donghyuk said as he took the other bracelet and did the same for Yura.

 

Yura felt the tingling sensations on the parts of her hand where Donghyuk touched, and smiled sheepishly, “We’re a thing now.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Don’t you dare to cheat on me, or I will call you a bastard for the rest of my life.”

 

“Same to you. But I will not call you a bastard, because bastards are guys and you’re not a guy.”

 

“You’re so lame.”

 

“You made me like this.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like this.” Donghyuk gently took Yura’s hand and placed it onto his own lap, next to his hand, their couple bracelets side by side. Yura stared at their couple memento, smiling to herself.

 

She blushed as Donghyuk suddenly pulled her head near his, the tips of their nose touching each other. She forced herself to stare at his eyes. She heard him mutter,” I wanted to kiss you so badly. Can I?” His breath hitting her lips.

 

Yura nodded slightly, and their lips touched. Warm and soft against each other’s.

 

Yura always wondered what she was supposed to do when someone kisses her – where should she place her hands? Should she stay still or move her head slightly, like what they do in dramas?

 

But then, it all came naturally to her, her hand instinctively moving up Donghyuk’s neck and then up to his soft, soft hair. She felt Donghyuk gently nibbling onto her lip, so ticklish, yet so comforting.

 

Donghyuk felt Yura’s long eyelashes brushing slightly against his own, and felt his heart racing like a mad car.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Donghyuk teleported back to hell, thinking about what Hanbin would say when he tell him that he kissed Yura and how they are together now.

 

As he stumbled upon the floor of his own room, smiling victoriously to himself, he heard sirens outside his house.

 

Hanbin burst into his room screaming, “Kim Donghyuk what have you done? They are coming for you!”

 

Donghyuk’s eyes widened in surprise – The Hell Brigade came for him?

 

“I don’t know...” Donghyuk managed as Hanbin scrutinised him head to toe.

 

“Did you steal something?”

 

“No, I just came back from Seoul! Yura kissed me!”

 

“Kimdong it’s not time for that now! Did you break any rules? Did you...” Hanbin trailed off as his eyes landed onto the black bracelet on Donghyuk’s wrist, now glowing slightly in a dangerous red.

 

 

“Can you get any dumber?” Hanbin sighed as he sat next to Donghyuk. They were on the brigade van, on their way to the police station.

 

“I’m sorry, I forgot!” Donghyuk placed his hand over his eyes, blocking out the glaring sun rays from the windows.

 

“Being in love doesn’t mean you can forget about all the rules! Look what you’ve done...”

 

“But this sure reminds me of the older days when we would get into trouble with the police on a weekly basis.”

 

“Yeah, can you remember that time we set the school garden on fire? And we were suspended for 3 whole months!” Hanbin giggled at the memory. Hanbin and Donghyuk were notorious for being mischievous in their younger days, playing pranks on people and causing trouble everywhere.

 

As they arrived at the police station, the bracelet was sent for inspection. Hanbin and Donghyuk sat at the counter and stared innocently at the police officer.

 

“Kim Hanbin and Kim Donghyuk again. Don’t you guys know that you are not supposed to bring any items from the upperworld here?”

 

“I know, I am sorry, I forgot...” Donghyuk muttered, lowering his head in an attempt to look guilty.

 

“This is a serious offence, unlike those ridiculous pranks you like to play last time. You may have to go to the courts and settle it with the council.”

 

Donghyuk raised his head in shock, “The court?”

 

“Yeah dear, and they will decide what will happen to you.”

 

“...” Hanbin finally said.

 

“It was just a harmless bracelet! It’s not like a bomb or anything, can’t you just let me go?”

 

“If it’s not something serious, they should not be too harsh about it.” The police officer said, “Come back tomorrow for the hearing! Go home for now, you look traumatised enough, Donghyuk-ah.”