Chapter Thirteen

The eye of the thunderstorm

a/n: I just wanna say that the fact that I'm returning to this after 4 years (?) means that my writing style has probably evolved somehow but I feel so guilty every time I see this fic being incomplete so I'm here to finish up this mess I started. I hope y'all don't hate me too much for leaving this hanging for so long D: i'm really sorry about that haha. Also some parts may not make sense I’m still trying to get used to this AU again AHAHAH Enjoy!! <3

 

 

______________________

 

The doorbell rang, shaking Yura from her reverie. Ah, she was thinking about Donghyuk again... she really should be starting on her essay which is due tomorrow but Donghyuk just keeps haunting her and her mind is busy running in circles about why he isn't back here for her. What's this supposed to mean, confusing his love for her, leaving her with a souvenir that supposedly proved their attraction to each other then disappearing? With a sigh, Yura dragged her pathetic self off the bed and towards the door. 

 

"Yura! Sorry I took so long, I forgot to bring some stuff so I had to make a u-turn, hehe. Have you started on work?" Jinhwan said while putting his umbrella away. Yura sighed, "Nope, my mind is pretty occupied right now by something that I probably shouldn't spend so much time thinking about."

 

"Wow, are you ready to share about what has been bothering you the past few days?" Jinhwan sat in front of the table, directly opposite of Yura. He already took his books out and placed them in front of him, but he seemed more interested in getting an answer from Yura than in opening them. 

 

"I... There is someone ... who makes me so confused. With my feelings. And my relationship with him." 

 

Jinhwan's heart sank a little at another 'him' in Yura's life. So there was someone who was stopping Yura and him from getting together. "Why is that?" He asked carefully. 

 

The way Jinhwan asked, with concern filling his face, made Yura feel so comforted and she suddenly wanted to let it all out, so she did, "He comes and goes as he wishes to, while leaving me here to wait for him, alone. In this storm. He confessed to me, and for a moment everything felt so right, so perfect, but then he just disappeared. Then what did that confession mean? It makes me so angry that I am still waiting for him. It makes me so angry that I still think of him all the time when he probably abandoned me... Well, I don't know if he abandoned me or if he had his own reasons for not coming to me but I just feel so angry and frustrated and... I can't believe it, but part of me is still waiting. It’s been storming for 2 days, and he always comes for me because he knows how much I hate the thunder, but he didn’t this time. And I don’t know why. He didn’t explain himself and he didn’t tell me when he will come back. He just left me waiting and I know I should just give up and this probably means we are done but I’m still waiting… I don't know why am I like this, Jinhwan." Yura said. She looked so troubled and hurt that Jinhwan thought she may start crying any moment now. Jinhwan gently placed his hand over hers on the table, hoping to give her some comfort. 

 

"Maybe it's time to forget about this man if he treats you like that... If I know this man, whoever he is, I would probably punch him because you don't deserve this at all." 

 

"I wouldn't say he's bad to me all the time, he is actually a really sweet guy and i really liked him. I still do... Gosh, I miss him. I just hope he'd come back." Yura sighed again. She probably shouldn’t be saying this to Jinhwan knowing that he probably still had feelings for her, but she couldn’t stop herself. It was too much to bear. 

 

“I’m sure he will and it will all work out. Don’t worry, maybe he’s just busy,” Jinhwan suggested, “Meanwhile if you don’t mind I can keep you company.”

 

“Yeah sure, actually I told myself that I will forget about him and enjoy my time with you, so… Shall we start on our work?” Yura finally said, hint of a smile on her lips. It was time to stop thinking about Donghyuk. 

 

“Sure,” Jinhwan smiled.

 

____________________________

 

With a packet of Hanbin’s favourite chocolate milk in his hand, Donghyuk approached Hanbin’s room. He spotted Hanbin sitting in front of his computer, busily pressing on the buttons on the keyboard, eyes concentrating on the flashing monitor in front of him. Donghyuk knocked half-heartedly, “Uh, Bin? Can I come in?” 

 

“Can’t you see I’m in the midst of an intense gaming session?” Hanbin said absentmindedly, still concentrating on the screen.

 

“I see that, but I have a favour to ask…” Donghyuk walked into Hanbin’s room and positioned himself on a chair next to  Hanbin’s desk, waiting for Hanbin to turn his attention to him instead. Soon, with a few clicks, Hanbin’s screen stops flashing and the game music comes to a stop. With a sigh, Hanbin spins around on his spin chair and faces Donghyuk, an annoyed expression on his face. 

 

“What do you want? You better have something good for me… Is that chocolate milk?” Hanbin’s eyes light up at the sight of the packet on Donghyuk’s lap. 

 

“Yeah, I brought it just for you.” Donghyuk offered a puppy smile, squishing his eyes into 2 lines barely visible on his face. Please let my adorable eye smile do the trick and let Hanbin help me… Hanbin took the packet from Donghyuk and started sipping on it, “Okay, that was a good bribe. What do you want, kid?” 

 

“Well, you already know that I have a girlfriend on earth, don’t you? Her name is-“

 

“Yura, I know. What about her?”

 

“Yeah Yura. Could you… like… get to Seoul and tell her about how I am suspended down here, and that’s why I haven’t been going to see her? I don’t want her to think that I just forgot about her and I’m scared that she will think I left her and that I don’t love her any-“

 

“Woah there, slow down. Sure, I can do that for you,” Hanbin finishes the chocolate milk and places the empty packet on the desk, then proceeds to cross his arms, “But on one condition.”

 

“W… What’s that?” 

 

“Three month-long daily supply of chocolate milk packets.” Hanbin smirked.

 

“I… sure man, sure thing.” Donghyuk internally groans as he thinks about the state of his wallet after 3 months. Chocolate milk was almost a staple on earth but in hell it’s rare and expensive, and to get some he has to travel to the next town. But anything for Yura, right?

 

“Ok, you got yourself a deal. When do you want me to go? And where exactly does Yura live?”

 

“I’ll let you know the details. Thanks Hanbin!” Donghyuk smiles and pats Hanbin on the shoulder before leaving the room. 

 

Donghyuk was okay with burning a hole in his pocket, was okay with being Hanbin’s chocolate milk delivery man for the 3 months coming, travelling to the next town every week for milk (‘cause its fresher that way), but was not okay with leaving Yura hanging. Yura was probably confused and angry and their relationship was at stake, and Donghyuk would do anything to salvage it. He made his way back into his room, checking the weather in Seoul, then sent Hanbin a text: 

 

To: My annoying housemate aka Hanbin

 

I checked the weather and the next storm in Seoul is in 4 days. The address is Unit 4, Block 2 Pinot View, Hill Drive, Seoul. Let me know what Yura says, thanks so much buddy :) ps. your chocolate milk will be on the way

 

__________________________________________________________

 

 

It’s been days since the last storm and Yura is more or less used to not thinking about Donghyuk anymore. She still thinks about him at times (eg. when she watches the weather forecast or when she walks past the sushi shop they ate at that one time) but she is training herself to stop thinking about him. He comes and he goes as he likes. Is he even serious about this relationship? Yura feels played and she’s sick of that. To make matters worse, she has no means to contact Donghyuk because he claimed he doesn’t have a phone on earth (Yura doesn’t know what to believe anymore, though).

 

An exam was coming up soon and Yura spent the past few evenings studying her notes at home with Jinhwan. Jinhwan was a comfortable distraction from Donghyuk, and a great study buddy. Yura felt a bit of guilt that she was inviting another guy friend over despite her ‘relationship’ with Donghyuk, but she didn’t even know if that was real anymore, so she couldn’t care less (she probably does deep inside). Today was no different, and as the door bell rang, Yura was just getting out of the shower. She hurriedly got dressed, and welcomed Jinhwan in. 

 

“Hey! Come on in oppa.” 

 

“Did you just shower? ‘Cause your house smells amazing.” Jinhwan entered, casually placing his backpack on his usual place at Yura’s dining table. 

 

“Well yeah I did. I was sweaty from the sports session in school this afternoon…” Yura brought her stuff and settled at the dining table opposite of Jinhwan. They opened their books and started studying, and it was such a productive study session such that they didn’t notice the skies growing dark with clouds outside.

 

Lightnings flashed and immediately a loud thunder followed, shaking the two in the dining room. “Woah, I didn’t know it was going to storm tonight,” Jinhwan mused, “Are you alright, Yura?”

 

“Yeah I’m fine. I guess I’m not as afraid of the storm as I used to be, which is actually great.” Yura smiled a small smile and tried to ignore her mind which was suddenly struggling not to think about a certain semi demon. She forced herself to concentrate on her books, on memorising key points for the upcoming test… 

 

She barely managed to regain focus on her books when suddenly something was stinging her eye. “Ouch, I think something’s in my eye…” She remarked as she blinked hard, trying to get whatever out of her eye.

 

“Don’t worry, I could help you,” Jinhwan said as he leaned forward to blow at Yura’s irritated eye. Soon, Yura’s eye was okay again, and Jinhwan sits upright again, blushing at their accidental intimacy. Their faces were just centimetres apart and Jinhwan felt a strong urge to… to kiss Yura. But he knew he shouldn’t. She had someone she liked, and him forcing himself upon her would just ruin their relationship. 

 

“Thanks, oppa. You’re the best!” Yura smiled, poking at Jinhwan’s arm resting on the table playfully. 

 

“It’s not a problem.” Jinhwan replied, trying to ignore the bitter feeling in his heart. Let’s just focus on studying, he thought to himself. 

 

Unknown to them, a confused Hanbin caught this whole episode from his hiding spot just outside the window. Didn’t Donghyuk say Yura was his girlfriend? Then why is there another boy studying with her in her apartment? Why did he just witness this strange boy leaning in towards Yura’s face… When he checked the address, he was sure that he went to the correct apartment. With a frown, he muttered to himself, “Did they just… kiss?” From Hanbin’s angle, it sure looked like the case. That made Hanbin furious - while Donghyuk spent the past week wallowing in depression in hell and begging him for help, this was what his ‘girlfriend’ was up to? With Donghyuk’s message to Yura forgotten, he left Seoul with a swish. He couldn’t watch on anymore. That is Donghyuk’s girlfriend hanging out and kissing another boy, for god’s sake. He must let Donghyuk know about this.