HERMES - CHAPTER 3

Hermes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Oh , oh , oh ! Jiyong thought to himself as the meeting progressed.

 

He was shocked to see the pretty girl he accused of stealing his bag in his company's conference room and was even more surprised that she had recognized him too.

 

The girl, who was later introduced as Giselle Walker, had enough sense in her to explain to everyone in the room that she had encountered Jiyong at the airport the day before but did not get into the nitty-gritty of the sordid encounter, much to his relief.

 

As if having her in the office that moment was not bad enough, Jiyong felt his heart drop when Hyun Suk formally introduced her as YG's newest producer.

 

I can't believe this is happening, Jiyong thought to himself shaking his head in disbelief. The encounter at the airport the previous day was among the most embarrassing moment of his life and now he has to be reminded of it everyday because of the girl sitting across from him.

 

Jiyong was vaguely aware of Hyun Suk hyung detailing some of Giselle's accomplishments in her musical career.

 

He heard something about winning awards for competitions during her years in Berklee, getting recognition in Italy and France, some of her songs being used as soundtrack for both Hollywood and indie films, and names of several famous singers like Jojo, Shakira, Demi Lovatto, and even Justin Timberlake being thrown around.

 

But Jiyong wasn't really concentrating. He was too preoccupied thinking of ways to avoid the new YG producer.

 

Jiyong was pulled out of his deep thoughts by the sound of music. A soft melody being played by a single guitar, finger plucking style. Then another guitar softly strums in the background. Eventually, the soothing sound of a cello joins in followed by a melancholic violin.

 

"I was thinking of giving this song to Lee Hi. I have the complete English lyrics to this song already but I didn't have time to do the voice after recording the music for this demo," Giselle said, her cool and calm voice sounded perfect with the melody even if she wasn’t actually singing, Jiyong though.

 

"Wait, you recorded the melody? Like, you played the instruments yourself?" Teddy asked, obviously genuinely interested.

 

"Uh, yeah. I'm better playing the piano and guitar though. I need to brush up on my bowing techniques but I'm confident I did well for this demo," she said, almost too nonchalantly.

 

Her statement was followed by murmurs from other producers and Jiyong knew why. Although they have used some violins and other classical instruments for some of their old tracks, albeit sparingly, they usually called in classically trained musicians to help them with the compositions. Teddy and Jiyong, on the other hand, merely faked it using synths and computer software. Teddy was obviously impressed.

 

"Giselle-shii, where did you learn to play these musical instruments?" PK, another producer asked.

 

"Uh, at home, actually. I mean, in the States. My mom used to be a music teacher back in Sicily. She taught me how to read sheet music and play the piano. The other instruments I learned in school throughout the years," she said sheepishly. Hmmm... Italian mother? She doesn’t seem like half-Korean.

 

Yang Hyun Suk was busy reading the lyric sheet that Giselle gave him for the song currently playing.

 

"The words are really good," Hyun Suk said, still reading the lyrics. He handed it to Teddy who began reading it while Jiyong looked over his hyung's shoulder trying to see the words.

 

"This is really good. The tone is youthful yet the words are profound," Jiyong caught himself saying. Surprised by his own words, he looked up to Giselle who was looking at him with a bemused expression.

 

"Yeah, I agree with Jiyong. I can't write lyrics like this, to be honest," Teddy said while his eyes were still glued to the sheet of paper which had handwritten words on it, his voice sounded a bit dazed. After a few seconds, the lyrics sheet was passed on to other producers who huddled over to read the words.

 

"It's better for Park Bom to sing this song. Her English is near perfect. She's older and the song is about love. She can put more emotion into this," Hyun Suk said and everyone in the room knew it wasn’t a suggestion. Well, almost everyone. Jiyong watched as Giselle shook her head vigorously.

 

"With all due respect sajangnim," Giselle began, causing all heads in the room to turn to her. "We all agree that Park Bom-shii is a terrific singer, but I think her voice is not suitable for this song. Her voice and singing style is too powerful and her vocal range does not include the softer tones that I had envisioned for this song. The vocals for this track needs to have a certain whimsical quality to it, almost etherial. Even with the many singer's that I've heard and worked with, I never heard that quality until I listened to Lee Hi. This song was meant to be hers, I have no doubt about it," Giselle said, looking composed.

 

Hyun Suk looked at Giselle, eye to eye, face unreadable, for several seconds while everyone else in the room waited for a reaction from either of them with bated breaths, the instrumental finally ended with the cello fading away. To everyone's surprise, it was Hyun Suk who broke the eye contact. Jiyong blinked twice just to make sure he wasn't hallucinating.

 

"I think I understand what you mean," Hyun Suk said closing his eyes and nodding in agreement for a few seconds, as if he could hear something that the rest of them could not.

 

"Well, finalize that song and schedule a recording with Ha Yi as soon as you can," Hyun Suk said finally.

 

Teddy and Jiyong looked at each other, bemused, before gaping at the girl across the table who was now wearing a triumphant smile as she scribbled something on her notebook.

 

In the years that he has worked with Hyun Suk, Jiyong has never seen the man back down at anything. Hyun Suk is a confident and proud man. He knows his strengths and makes sure to play by them. Likewise, he could easily read the strengths and weaknesses of the people around him and makes sure to use it to his advantage, sometimes almost mercilessly but always with good intentions in mind. In matters relating to music, Hyun Suk was known to be unrelenting. He would pretend to listen to arguments but in the end he still did things his way. Usually, Jiyong and Teddy would end up negotiating, like recording several demos with other artists just to accommodate their boss' persistence, but 9.5 out of 10 times this tactic had failed and they ended following Hyun Suk’s orders. It is the same reason why YoungBae's album has been delayed. They're at a deadlock on the songs to be included with neither of the parties showing any signs of yielding as of late.

 

Seeing how this new producer had successfully convinced their boss to bend to her wishes was nothing but shocking to Jiyong, and obviously to other producers as well, all of whom were staring at Giselle looking dumbstruck.

 

~~●~~

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter