Chapter 13

You're My Target!

 “What happen?” Xiumin asked.

First period had just ended and I was busy packing my notebooks into my bag.

“What are you talking about?” I asked in confusion.

“This morning, you and your friend cause quite a scene. What happen?”

Why is he so interest in it?

“Why do you want to know?” I asked, heading to the door.

He shrugged, “just curious.”

I continue to the door until he quickly added, “Luhan also wanted to know.”

I stop in my track. I couldn’t stop the smile creeping to my face. I turn to look at Xiumin.

“Really?”

I didn’t notice how happy my voice sounded. He frowned, “yah, why do you look so happy?”

“What are you talking about?” I snapped.

I quickly mumbled, “Me? Happy that Luhan wanted to know? Why would I be?”

Why would I be happy about Luhan? Luhan was the problem. He help made the situation a lot worst.

I pulled my bag over my shoulder and continue my way to the door. However, Xiumin came over, block the door, and locked it. What does he want now? I look at my surrounding. There were no students present and we were the only one in class. I suddenly feel nervous being with him.

He crossed his arms and lean against the door.

“I never say anything about Luhan making you happy. I just said that he was curious.” He remembered.

“Why did you mention his name? Are you perhaps…interest in Luhan?” He put in.

I was taken back. My mind went blank. I didn’t know how to counter his words but I feel the need to say something. He was wrong! There is no way I am interest in Luhan, right? Well, maybe a little.

“You’re wrong! I-I just…” I stuttered out.

I couldn’t find the right words to tell Xiumin. An amused smirk was plastered on his face. My face heat up as I realized how dumb I sounded. Stuttering only helps convince him that he was right.

We both stop what we were doing when we heard knocking on the door.

“Yah! Who’s in there? Open Up!”

The pounding on the door continue. More voices were starting to appear. They were all muttering outside about how the door is not opening.  The voices outside were probably students for the next class .I look around to find an escape route. There was none.

“Xiumin, just open the door.” I demanded.

I was already in deep trouble for being alone with Xiumin. If the students break in, it will only look more suspicious. If he open the door, it will make the situation seems less troublesome.

“After you tell me the reason why first. Until then, I’m not opening the door.” He insisted.

I groaned. What is he trying to do? Who cares what I think of Luhan. That is not what is important! I tried to push Xiumin aside but he wouldn’t budge.

“Do you like Luhan?” He asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Why is he asking all these random questions? I could hear the warning bell ring. I knew I was going to be late for my next period.

I froze when I heard his next statement.

“If I am right, I thought you like me.”

I stop trying to push him. What did he just say? Did he know the truth all along?

My face couldn’t deny the truth and flushed red. He took a step toward me and I feel threaten by his presence. I took a step back and he stop, looked at my movement before looking back at me. Before I could react, Xiumin had already leap over and grab my arms. Surprise, I screamed.

The door flew open with all the students, gaping at us. The teacher enters the room and Xiumin release me.

“What are you two doing alone in here?” She said, shaking her head in disapproval.

I lower my head in silence. Once again, I was caught doing something inappropriate. First, it was Kai and now it was Xiumin.

The teacher sighed, “I’m letting you two off this time because I’m in a good mood.”

I bow my head in thanks and walk out the room. Before I step out the room, I heard her muttered, “Kids these days.”

A few girls outside were giving us questioning looks while others were glaring at me. They walk pass me and bump my shoulder harshly. I tried to walk as fast as I could from the room. I didn’t want to see Xiumin at the moment. These days, I just end up getting angry whenever he’s around. I won’t even be surprise if I get kick out of school because of him. I was starting to regret that I for having a crush on him.

I heard the running footsteps behind me. I ignore how he keeps on calling my name and for me to stop. He grasps my hand and pulled me to face him.

“Why are you so mad?” He asked, dumbfounded.

His question only adds fuel to the fire. I didn’t even want to look at him. I tried to wiggle my hand out of his grasp but he held on tightly.

I scowled, “Why do you keep on bothering me?”

He didn’t answer my question and started dragging me somewhere. I didn’t know where but I knew that there was bound to be trouble. I had learned my lesson.

I began to struggle when I notice that we were now in the parking lot. We stop in front of a car. Using his free hand, he click on a remote to unlock the door.

“I’m not-Hey! What are you doing!” I exclaimed.

Xiumin pushed me into the car and slam the door. I was about to open to door to escape but he appear beside me.

“Don’t you dare.” He threatened.

I shrink back on my seat. He started his car engine and rode out of the school.

I observe the car. Which girl wouldn’t die to be in my position? However, that thought was not what concern me at the moment. What concern me was how I was currently ditching school for the first time in my life.

“Take me back to school.” I demanded.

He ignore me and continue to look at the road. I yelled at him again but he continue to ignore me. Irritated, I muster up my courage and pull his ear to grab his attention.

“Ow! What are you-“

He glare at me and tried to pride my hand off his ear. I didn’t let go so he growl. He quickly took a glance ahead so I did the same. I screamed when I saw the car in front of us. I released Xiumin’s ear and slam forward as Xiumin tried to break the car as fast as he could.

We both exhale in relief when we discover that we were still alive and breathing. Xiumin angrily yelled at me, “What do you think you are doing! You almost kill us!”

I gulped and look down in guilt. He didn’t stop shouting at me until the car behind us honk. I slump on my chair and decided to shut up. I sneak a glance at Xiumin. He pushed his hair back with his hand and groaned in frustration. The silence hung in the air.

We stop in front of a café. He slam the door and signal for me to get out. I was upset and didn’t want to follow his demand. He sighed and open my door.

“Get Out.” He ordered.

I sat still and refuse to move from my seat. I also didn’t want to look at him. I’m not even in the mood to try to understand his intentions. What is he doing? Why did he bring me here? He didn’t have to be so harsh a while ago, right? Did he really know that I like him?

So many questions ran through my head and they all had to do with stupid Xiumin.

“What are you doing?”

He surprise me by unfastening my seat belt. One of his arm went around my waist to pulled me out. I wouldn’t let him. We play tug-o-war for a while before he won. He pulled me out of the car and I stumble on the ground. I was about to return to the car but he pulled me back and slam the door. I pushed him away and he released me.

“Why did you bring me here?” I mumbled.

I was in a sour mood and didn’t feel too happy. Xiumin acted deaf and held onto my hand.

“Let me go.” I struggled.

He pulled me along and drag me to the café. The bell ring when we enter, alerting the store that there are new customers. The scent of coffee hung in the air. There were already a few customers inside the café. I didn’t want to create a scene and was tired of struggling so I obediently let him drag me. He put me on an empty table and instructed, “Wait here.”

He disappeared into the employee’s room. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Why did he bring me here? Why does he keep avoiding my question? I look around the cozy café. It was indeed cold and freezing outside. It would be nice to drink a warm cup of coffee during such a chilly day but that doesn’t mean that we should come here.

My thought got interrupted when Xiumin return with an employee’s outfit. If he look attractive in his school uniform, he looked twice as attractive in his employee’s outfit. I wanted to smack myself for gaping at him. He notice me staring at him and smirk at my reaction. Although it was hard to do, I return to my stern expression.

“Why did you bring me here?” I asked.

He shrugged, “Let’s drink some coffee.”

 Once again, he didn’t answer my question and drag me away. He took me to the counter and smiled, “I’m going to make us some coffee.”

He walk over to the coffee machine and I watch him make the coffee. His face turn serious and I watch in fascination as he transition from one place to the next. It was like watching magic. His hand move around smoothly and elegantly.

“Here, try it.” He said.

He handed me a cup of coffee. I thanks him and put the tip on my lips. I inhale the scent and let the coffee slowly enter my mouth. My body started warming up because of the cofee’s heat. After taking a sip, I place the cup back on the counter.

“How was it?” He asked.

It was the first time he had ever shown me an expression beside scowling or smirking. His eyes were sparkling as he waited for my answer.

“Delicious.” I sincerely answered.

His lips curve into a wide grin. He suddenly look liked a child. He put a hand to his heart and sighed, “Whew! I thought you were going to say that it taste bad.”

I laughed at his action. The mood got lighter and we began to talk. The topics were random but I enjoy the time.

“Omo!” I gasped.

I look at my watch and realized that lunch was about to begin in a few minutes. I was having so much fun with Xiumin that I forgot about the time!

“Why are you so worried? Since you already skip a few lessons, you should just skip the whole day. It’s Friday too.” He convinced.

I thought for a few seconds and decide that it was a bad idea. I shook my head at his suggestion. He frown and looked a bit disappointed. He grab my cup of coffee and sighed, “I’ll clean this up.”

His back suddenly look so sad. What should I do? I almost change my mind but my cellphone ring. I look at the caller ID with no username. Who is it? I decided to find out.

“Hello?”

There was silence so I repeated, “Hello?”

“Sorry.”

That was the first thing I heard. Who is apologizing? It sounded like a guy. Why is he apologizing?

“Who is this?” I asked.

He didn’t reply back.

“Luhan! What are you doing? Come on, let’s go.” I heard someone said in the background.

I immediately recognize his voice. Luhan sounded nervous and said something to his friend.

“Luhan, how did you get my number? Why are you apologizing?” I asked.

“I-I wanted to…Sorry…I wanted to get your number but asked your friend instead. Later on, I realized I was being sneaky so I decided to apologize to you.” He explained.

His stuttering sounded so cute. I could imagine him blushing while saying this to me. Even though I like it, it seem so weird for him to act so sweet and cute. Where did the arrogant Luhan go to?

“Are you,” he hesitated, “mad?”

I laughed, “No Luhan, I’m fine. I’m not mad. You already tell me the reason why so there is no reason to be mad at you.”

“But Geez, Luhan, you sound liked a stalker.” I added.

Once again, he began to stutter. I laughed when he started denying on how he was not a stalker. At the same time, Xiumin return with his school uniform back on.

“Are you ready to go back?” Xiumin asked.

I nodded my head at him, still holding my cellphone to my ear.

Luhan stop his protesting and asked, “That sounded like Xiumin. Is he with you?”

His tone of voice change. Where did the happy tone go to?

“Who are you talking to?” Xiumin asked.

I debated on who I should answer first. Why do I feel so much pressure on answering who first? Xiumin was looking at me curiously. I feel something triggered.

“I’m talking to Luhan. “ I answered Xiumin.

Realizing that Luhan asked first, I answered Luhan, “yeah, I’m with Xiumin. Do you need to talk to him?”

Luhan stop responding. I look at the screen but the call was still ongoing. I place the cellphone back on my ear. Why is he not answering back?

I heard Kai complained, “Hyung, can we go eat now? I’m hungry.”

“Yeah, just wait a second. I’m almost done.” Luhan told him.

Xiumin led me out of the store and I waited for Luhan to say something. He finally did after talking to Kai.

“Sorry, I gotta go Beatrice.”

My heart race a little when I heard my name left his lip. It sounded so right coming out of his mouth.

I didn’t get a chance to say bye because he had already ended the call. It sounded weird because he stops talking to me after I talk to Xiumin. Why did he end our conversation in such a manner?

I enter Xiiumin’s car and we rode in silence. I didn’t even bother talking to Xiumin. The thought of Luhan keep on bugging my head. He and Xiumin are so bipolar. One moment they are nice and one moment they are mean. I just can’t figure them out.