Chapter 9

The Last One

Chapter 9

 

Yoochun’s POV

A fool’s mistake, I chuckled to myself while I swirled the drink I had in my hand. Then real fool is I, a fool for letting go of him when his heart was fully with me. The only mistake he made was to love me and keeps wanting me to love him harder. Sitting along at the bar counter that is facing the living room, everyone is trying to fit in, trying to put on a façade, thinking that if they can act hard enough, things would be really what it seems. Gulping down another mouthful of my drink, I tried hard to muffle the giggle that was soon surfacing. Muttering under my breath with amusement,“ The real actor is here and I am not even trying cos its so darn difficult.”

 

Looking across the room, the person that is trying the least would be Hyerim, Yunho’s wife. Of course she is not trying for she doesn’t know. She was just trying hard to engage Jiyeon into a conversation but she is not paying attention. I have already caught Jiyeon’s eyes a few times. I believe either she saw the commotion just now or that Junsu had told her. I can’t help but reveal a tinge of sadness when I look straight into her eyes.  And there is the real amusing part, hurdled in a corner, is the other 4 members of the former DBSK.

 

Hyerim maybe stupid and ignorant, Jiyeon maybe naïve but I can bet with every single penny, that they thought that the scene is weird. Just as I was staring at the 2 girls, Hyerim looked up and caught my eye but she looked away before I could even react. I just snickered.

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

I wasn’t paying any attention to what was going on in front of me. It was also only till now that I realized that Changmin has been nudging me. I know what he wanted to know. I just gave a weak smile. Suddenly, I felt a familiar hand on my lap. Looking up, I saw Junsu laughing heartily and Yunho, he was too laughing. I guess a joke that Junsu said. Then, he looked into my eyes. It was as though the years didn’t pass, at that moment, it was so comforting, so familiar. My heart started to cave in and a smile broke across my face. I felt a flush surfacing, me being shy to Yunho’s touch. That was ages ago. But he is still the same, same warm touch, same sincere eyes, my Yunho.

 

As in on cue, he took my elbow and pulled me out of my seat or more likely my stoic state. He led us out of the living room and to the backyard. Everything happened too fast for me to even process. All I know is that this was what I had always wanted, always imagined. A thousand scenarios that I have thought of could never compare to this simple gesture and him being willing to talk to me.

 

It was as though time stood still and I just saw his mouth moving but I think I must be too fixated on his mouth that I cant make out what he is saying. It must be a dream; it must be a dream that’s why I can’t understand anything. I do not want to wake up from this.

 

Yunho’s POV

 

I think I must have repeated the same sentence thrice but I am still not getting any response from Jae except from him staring at me, with his big doe eyes. I chuckled and put his face in my palm and said, “Are you listening to me?”

 

He snapped out of his daze and looked at me. At that moment I felt as though I was transported 17 years back, those were the eyes that tugged my heartstrings. The feelings that I had been trying so hard to keep at bay came rushing back. At that point, it was as though the one and a half decade that we have spent together just flashed through my eyes.

 

No, I had not wanted to pull him out just to talk about his life now, or to talk about Jiyeon. “I am sorry, I am so sorry,” Those words just blurted from my mouth. I kept repeating those meaningless words knowing that it cannot take back the past 2 years or those hurtful words. I saw the confusion in his eyes, as though he couldn’t fathom what I was sorry for. But soon enough, it dawned upon him. The course of emotions that flickered cross his eyes, I couldn’t bear to see them thus I looked away.

 

Junsu’s POV

 

Oh dang, I think I have gotten into very big trouble. Seriously, the make up that I had in my mind was nothing like that. I admit, the front part of us sitting together, chilling was according to plan. Just that Yoochun was supposed to join us. But things went quite smoothly and then disaster strikes. Hyung pulled hyung out of the living room. But I think that should not be my main concern now.

 

Changmin’s POV

I think for the very first time, this will not work out. Feeling that much despair. I really think that my heart will get ripped out of my body. Fighting for him for so long, what’s the point when a little touch and eye-contact can change everything?

“Changmin…” I looked up to Junsu Hyung’s concerned eyes and quickly blinked the tears away. I guess I should be thankful that he had arranged this so that I will no longer be that strong headed and blinded. With trembling hands, I reached out to hyung and gave him a pat on him back. I just shook my head and got up from my seat. The only thought was that I needed to get out of this godforsaken place, before I can no longer control my tears.

 

I must have reached home at some record-breaking speed. Now, it’s my turn to act like a real baby as I started throwing all of my possessions into my duffel bag. Hot tears stinged my eyes, was it betrayal or was it just acceptance, its okay I will have more than enough time in future to decipher in future. Yoochun hyung was calling me for the umpteen times since I left. Through it all, he was the only hyung that was right beside me, being my pillar of strength whenever I felt the going got tough. But I didn’t need him now, not when I am so vulnerable. For fear that the weak side of me that is never shown to my hyungs surface.

 

Maybe, I will just take a short trip somewhere, as far away from here as possible. Somewhere that Jae does not have influence. I do not want him finding out information about me.

 

“Are you planning on going somewhere?” a voice startled me. Turning around, expecting to find Yoochun hyung, instead I was met with his big doe eyes. “Not now Jae,” I muttered to him. I was in no mood to trash anything out. Or to perhaps hear his great reconciliation with Yunho hyung.

 

“He knows the truth, he knows that we are together.”

 

Jaejoong’s POV

 

I waited for his reaction. I have never seen Changmin cry because he felt sad. Often, his tears will be due to his anger. At that moment, seeing Changmin having had enough of my nonsense, I realized that I couldn’t hurt or throw a person that cherishes me that much away. I had already done that to Jiyeon but not Changmin, never him.

 

Then I heard it, he asked me in a voice so soft that I almost didn’t catch it. “ Why? Why Jae?” 

 

Changmin’s POV

 

Was he joking with me? He just needed to give Yunho hyung a little more nudging and he will be back by his side. I could have just walked away, away from Jae and his complex world. I gave and gave till I no longer can. If he were to lie to me about telling Yunho hyung we are together, it would be worse than anything I can think of at this moment.

 

The reason. I needed the reason why he has decided to tell Hyung that. Was it because he finally saw me for who I am? I needed to hear it that badly, those three little words meant for me.

 

Jae just stared at me with unflinching gaze then he inched nearer to me. Stopping short, he got down on his knee, “Changmin, Will you marry me?” 

 

That was more than I asked for, I searched his eyes if there was any lingering doubt but all I saw was his conviction and then I saw it. It was those eyes that were always reserved for hyung. But at this point, I knew. I knew that it was for me.

 

“Well, I am all packed for our honeymoon…” 

 

-To be Continued-