Living With A Box of Memories While Drinking Poison and Wine

Forgiving Is A Hard Thing To Do

"I hate it.  Show me something different."  You're fighting the urge to throw the water bottle your holding at Jiyong.  You wanted to wipe away the smug look on his face and maybe just kick him where the sun didn't shine or strangle him.  You hadn't decided which one sounded better at the moment.  Taking a sip out of the water bottle, you eyeball the skinny man who had once again demanded that you change the choreography for the third time this week.  The word hell didn't come close to your first week working with Jiyong but you knew he was purposely making it a nightmare and he was succeeding.

"What is wrong with it this time?" you spat out at the man.  He was starting to irritate the sanity out of you and you refuse to look at him. 

"You're the choreographer.  You figure it out.  That's what I'm paying you to do."  His reply was the straw that broke the camel's back and fury is coursing through you.  Throwing down the now empty water bottle, you turn and glare at the heartbreakingly handsome man.

"Really Jiyong? Because right now it feels more like you're paying me to be your personal punching bag."  There's a gasp sounding through the silent studio and you remember that you weren't alone. 

"Everyone, out," the command is quiet but fueled by rage.  You watched as Jiyong narrowed his eyes and glared at you.  "You, stay." 

After a week of hearing a long list of insults from the man, you weren't afraid of him.  Your irritation was overriding every other emotion inside of you and you roll your eyes.  You could tell this made him fume even more and you silently celebrate.  You turn and watched as the back-up dancers slowly grabbed their bags and filed out of the room, leaving you, Jiyong and a very confused Jonathan standing in the room.  You had forgotten all about Jonathan.  There's a worried look on his face now and you give him a quick reassuring nod.  He understood instantly and he, too, grabbed his duffle bag before shuffling out making sure to shut the door behind him.

"Was that really necessary Jiyong?  They need to learn the choreography.  Don't you think you've ed around long enough?"  Ignoring him, you stalk past him pick up the water bottle you had thrown before snatching up your favorite hoodie.  Still seething, you shove your arms into the sleeves and tug it over your head and faced Jiyong.  He's livid but you didn't need to see him to figure that out.  You don't understand why but it amused you slightly knowing that you were pissing Jiyong off as much as he was irritating you. 

"I've ed around long enough?  If you'd do something that was actually worthy of being choreography then they'd be working on it." 

"What the hell was wrong with this routine?  Or the other two that I've shown you?"  Grabbing a hold of your duffle bag, you throw in your worn out shoes.  Slinging the bag over your shoulder you turn and glare at the man.  "I don't know if you've noticed Jiyong but you only have two months to prepare for this comeback and you've already wasted a week of it sitting around.  The dancers need to learn the choreography for this song before we can work on the other song.  So figure out what you want and let me know.  I'm not going to be blamed for wasting time because I am not going to go through this with every song."

Pushing your shoulders back proudly, you march past Jiyong and ignore the man as you made your way out of the dance studio.  It wasn't until you closed the door behind you that you let out the breath you were holding in and sagged against the wall of the hallway.  You whisper a thankful prayer that your courage hadn't deserted you when you were giving Jiyong a piece of your mind.  Moving away from wall, you fish out your car keys and walked out of the building.  You're welcomed by the darkness of the night and a cool breeze makes you shiver slightly. 

Sliding into the driver seat of your old car, you lay your head back onto the head rest and sigh.  It was tiring fighting with Jiyong on a daily basis and it had only been a week.  You hated that he could make you feel so many different feelings.  You groaned at the thought of another seven weeks being around him; especially because it appeared that he planned on making it difficult for you.  But more than anything, it was exhausting to act as if Jiyong's mere presence didn't make your pulse race and your palms sweaty.  The anger and frustration dealing with Jiyong kept your mind busy from admiring his handsome face and gorgeous smile.  Yes, it was better to fight with him.  The sound of a slamming car door jolted you from your thoughts and you see Youngbae sprint from the black van with the tinted windows into the building.  You remember the long day planned for tomorrow and scowl as you start the car and pull away.

……..

Running your fingers through your wet tangled hair, you sit on the edge of the bed and begin to towel dry your hair as the music played.  Staying true to the promise you had made to Daesung - you had been trying to listen to Jiyong's solo album or at least to the few that you figured weren't directly written about you.  The playlist that was currently playing on your iTunes consisted of four of the ten songs on the album.  One of those four songs had already pulled out old dusty memories from the back of your mind and it worried you.  After a week of trying, you couldn't make yourself listen to the other six songs.  What kind of memories would those other songs evoke?  The entire album was a box of memories for you and that scared you.

Tossing the wet towel over a nearby chair, you turn off the light, climb into bed and stare at the ceiling as the music continued to play quietly.  The melody lulled you to sleep while Jiyong's voice seduced you into a dreamland of memories.

It's deep in the night but I can't sleep.  Fighting against the worsened headaches.  Twisted and turned until I was deep in my thoughts then grabbed the pen again.  The lyrics that I'm writing with no space in between have my philosophy.  My room that's filled with white smoke is cozy like home sweet home.

With a quiet groan, you tug the comforter tighter to your body as a cold breeze wafts through the bedroom.  Sleepily, you the bed looking for Jiyong and his body heat to warm yourself up.  You crack open an eye as you continued to search for the skinny man only to find yourself alone in the big bed.  The smell of cigarette smoke is filling your nose and it pulled you further out of your sleepy state.  You're now aware of the light illuminating from the crack of the bedroom door and you glance over to your alarm clock.  It was three thirty six in the morning and your body protested as you silently crawled out of bed.  A shiver runs through you as your feet touch the ice cold floor and you wrap the comforter around you as you open up the door and tip toe out of the room in search of Jiyong.

You find him hunched over the kitchen table staring intently at the brightly lit lap top screen.  The quiet click clacks of the keys echo through the silent room.  The ash tray beside him is full of cigarette butts and the room is filled with smoke while a half of a lit cigarette is dangling out the corner of his beautiful mouth.  Another cold breeze rushes by you and causes you to shiver once more.  You look for the source of the cold air and find the living room windows cracked open.  More than likely, Jiyong had opened them because he knew how much you hated his smoking habit.  Quietly, you lean against the hallway wall and observe the skinny man continue to scowl, tap away on the keyboard and nod to the silent beat in his head. 

Pushing yourself off the wall, you softly shuffle towards the kitchen table.  "Kwon Jiyong, don't you know how horrible smoking is for your health?" you state quietly into his ear as your arms circle him from behind and fold him in with the comforter.  He was freezing cold and instinctively you begin to rub his bare arms in an attempt to warm him up.  Jiyong reached up and stopped you.  Placing a gentle kiss on each of your hands, he pulled you closer to him and you smile into the crook of his neck.  Inhaling deeply, you loved how amazing he smelled.  He smelled of his favorite cologne, sweat and cigarette smoke. 

"Did I wake you up baby?  I'm sorry," Jiyong whispered as he put out the barely smoked cigarette and frowned.  You silently shake your head and wrap your arms tighter around him. 

"You should be sleeping," you reply softly.

"Couldn't sleep.  I have so much going on in my mind right now.  I just kept tossing and turning.  I didn't want to wake you up."

"Want to talk about it?"

"Not really," he stated and you frown into his neck - disappointed that he didn't want to confide in you.  "Baby, you can stop over thinking it.  It's nothing important."

"If it wasn't anything important then why are you up at four o'clock in the morning?  What's wrong Jiyong-ah?  Talk to me.  Are you still upset about the song?"

"No it's not about the song baby.  Yang Hyun Suk was right to have Big Bang promote Lies."

"Then what is wrong Jiyong-ah?"  You quietly watch as the skinny man continued to frown and type away.  "What are you doing?"

"I'm just writing a song for my solo on the next Big Bang album."  With your chin resting on his shoulder, you read the lyrics and stiffen.  Pulling slightly away from Jiyong's warmth, you tilt your head and reread the lyrics he had just typed out.

You stayed by my side, time flows by, when 1,2 years goes by.  More better than this year.  Your voice seems so tired.  You need a place to lean, please lean on me.  It was great when we first met.  We were happy just seeing each other.  Actually, I'm still like that, but why aren't you?  Lately when I see you I don't get the same feelings.

"What is this?  Is it me?  Am I what is bothering you?" you ask quietly - too afraid of what his answer might be.  "Are you questioning me?  Is this what's-"

"Stop it.  This isn't about you babe.  Alright?"  Jiyong was staring at the screen and you know he's hiding something.  "I'm just writing a song."

"You never just write a song Jiyong." 

"Well this time, I'm just writing a song.  Now will you just drop it?"

"Fine, I'll drop it.  But we both know Jiyong that you never just write a song.  Every song you've ever written has a meaning, a memory a thought attached to it." Grabbing a hold of the edge of the comforter you peel it from the skinny man and allow the cold air to seep into your warm cocoon.  Stepping back, you purse your lips in frustration as you take off the comforter and draped the thick padded comforter back around Jiyong causing him to stop focusing on the computer and stare up at you.

"Where are you going?"  The look on his face is a mixture of worry, confusion and sadness.

"Back to bed Jiyong-ah.  You obviously don't want to talk about what's bothering you," you answer with a shrug and turn to leave.  "It's almost four in the morning and I'm exhausted.  Plus you have a busy day scheduled for tomorrow.  You should really sleep too."  You wait for him to respond but only got silence.  It really hurt when Jiyong shut you out but you also knew that he'd tell you whenever he was ready. 

Shuffling back into the bedroom, you shiver as the cold air continued to penetrate through your thin pajamas and you make your way over to the closet to pull out the extra blanket.  You straighten it out onto the bed before quietly slipping into the bed.  Turning your back to the door, you clutch to pillow and listen to Jiyong move around the apartment.  The kitchen light flicks off and you're covered in a shroud of darkness.  You're left listening to the soft pitter patter of Jiyong's feet and the drag of the comforter on the wooden floor.  Closing your eyes tightly, you hear the bedroom door close and feel the comforter thrown over you.  The bed shifts with the addition of Jiyong's weight and soon enough, his arms are wrapped tightly around you - tugging you closer into his warm embrace.

A soft sigh escapes from you as you open your eyes and feel him bury his nose into your hair.  He inhales deeply and tightens his hold on you and you know he was ready to share.

"Baby, don't be mad at me please?" he whispers softly into your hair.  "The things going on in my mind have nothing to do with you.  I love you.  Don't you know that?"

"It's not that Jiyong-ah.  It hurts when you keep what's bothering you to yourself.  I just wish you would talk to me about it instead of doing this to yourself."

"I don't want to burden you with my problems," he murmured before lifting up your pony tail and trailing soft kisses onto the back of your neck.  "I really just wanted to work it out myself."

"I wish you'd let me help.  I don't like seeing you so troubled that you can't sleep."

"I know babe."

"Do you want to talk about what's bothering you now?" you whisper - hoping that he was ready to start talking.  You hear him sigh deeply and you wait for him to talk.

"It's just hard sometimes."  His voice was raw and full of pain.

"What's hard Jiyong?" you ask as you turn around and face the handsome man.  Lifting a hand, you brush aside a lock of hair.  "Tell me please?"

"This life.  Sometimes I wonder if I had known when I was thirteen that it would be this difficult living in the spotlight.  Would I change my mind?  I was so confident back then.  Nothing could've made me change my mind.  But now?  It's tiring babe.  It's exhausting having to defend everything I do, everything I say.  Even what I wear causes trouble.  I wonder if the thirteen year old me would've decided against doing this."

"It's too late to go back now isn't it?" you reply honestly, knowing that Jiyong wouldn't want everything to be glazed over but would rather hear the truth.  You watched as he looked at you and smirk.

"It is, isn't it?  So wise one, what do you think I should do when I start to feel stuck?  When I start to feel like I'm not going anywhere and I start to regret this lifestyle.  This dream of mine, it's just lost its shine."

"Come to me so I can make it all better?"  You had meant to say it in a teasing matter but it had come out quite serious and you knew somewhere inside you.  It was the truth.  "But whenever you start to feel stuck like that.  Just remember the thirteen year old you and how you felt back then.  Remember how you've always wanted this dream and I promise the passion for making music will always come back."

"You promise?" he questions.  All you do is nod and lean in to kiss the tip of his nose before nuzzling into the crook of his neck.  "You'll always make it better if I just come to you?"

"I'll try my best to Jiyong," you speak quietly into his skin while taking in your favorite scent - him.  "I'll always try to make it better for you because I love you."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome baby," you reply sleepily and the two of you lay there.  Enjoying each other's comfort and listening to each other breathe.  "I don't like it when you lock me out Jiyong. I don't like seeing you struggle like you were tonight.  If you don't remember Jiyong, we're getting married in a year," you tease. 

"Like I could forget something as important as that."  A giggle escapes out of you as you feel him smile against your forehead before kissing it.

"You better not," you retort.

"I'm counting down the days baby.  Now go to bed.  I don't know if you know this but I have a busy day scheduled for tomorrow."

"You?  A busy day?  No!" you reply sarcastically and you feel his body shake from the quiet chuckle that was rumbling through his body.

"Shut up baby and go to sleep."

"I love you Jiyong." You whispered softly before wrapping your arms tightly around the skinny man and closed your eyes.

"I love you too sweetheart.  I love you too."

Shooting up from your bed, the memory slowly fading away and you clutch your chest as Jiyong's voice echoed hauntingly though the hotel room.  Wiping away the remnants of sleep, you lay back down cursing your memories.  From somewhere in your crowded mind, the song had pulled the ancient memory out of its hiding spot and you wished it would go back to its dusty corner.  Even in your dreams, memories with Jiyong crept in until you woke up calling and reaching out for him.  You hated nights like these - they only left you hurting, missing and wishing for Jiyong's whispered words of comforter and his warm embrace.  Inhaling deeply, you swear the smell of cigarette smoke fills your nostrils and it leaves a burning sensation in your chest. 

Turning over, you stare at the laptop sitting on the dresser and you know you should turn off the music flowing from its speakers but, the next song begins to play the beat is catchy - causing you to nod to the auto tuned voice belonging to Youngbae.  You shake your head when you hear Jiyong swear and yet his voice brings you comfort.  Tightly clutching to the extra pillow, you wrap a leg over it and listen to the song until it comes to an end and transitioned into the next song in the playlist.  You smile at the sound of Teddy starting the song off and soon enough your eyes begin to droop to the sound of Jiyong's calming voice rapping.  You wake suddenly as Chaerin begins to rap and you realize you had been dozing off.  Burrowing deeper into the pillow, you allow the music to continue to play as the voice you loved lulled you back to a dreamland filled with memories.

……..

"You think he's going to actually like this one?" Jonathan asked you before taking a sip from his water bottle. 

"He better."  The short sentence came out more like a groan than a threat but you were too exhausted to care.   After a restless night of barely sleeping, you had gotten up with the birds to work on the choreography for Jiyong's song.  The last three hours had been spent on perfecting it.

"Or what?" Jonathan questioned with an arch of his eyebrow and you scowl.

"Or I'm going to make him figure it out himself," you reply.  Pursing your lips you watched as Jonathan threw his head back and laughed.  "What is so funny?"

"Nothing.  I was just remembering yesterday and the look on your face," he says with a smirk.

"And what was so funny about it?"

"Well for a second there I thought you were going to march over to him and either kick him or strangle him."

"I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind," you say with a smile.  You watched as Jonathan checked the clock and look towards the door.  "You need to be somewhere?"

"No, I thought since we had some time, that I'd go and get something to eat in the cafeteria," he replies and you can tell he's a bit afraid to leave you alone.  You can understand his weariness though.  Since you had started working with Jiyong, you had become even more withdrawn and distant.

"Go ahead Jonathan.  You know you don't need my permission to eat," you urge in a teasing tone.

"You sure?  You don't want to go?  You haven't eaten anything yet."

"Thanks but I'm not hungry right now.  I think I'll rest for a bit before everyone gets here."  You continued to watch from the cushioned bench as Jonathan turned towards the dance studio door and hesitate.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Jonathan.  Now go before I change my mind," you ordered and laughed as the tall man ran out the door without another glance.  Shaking your head, you walk over to the computer and flip through your music files.  Quickly, you select the song and welcome the sound of guitars accompanied with the fine sound of a piano.  The slow haunting music filters through the speakers as you make your way to the middle of the room and lay down on the wooden floor.  With your eyes closed, you're lost in the lyrics, the emotion of their voices and the feelings they caused you to feel.

"This is such an amazing song isn't it?  It portrays a real relationship quite well don't you agree?" The sweet voice pulls you from enjoying the song making you sit up abruptly and search for the model.  You had not heard the door open nor did you hear her situate herself on the bench across from you.  Today, she was dressed in a long sleeved cocoa colored striped cowl shirt, skin tight jeans and sandals adorn her dainty feet.  A simple fedora hat sat on top of her short dark hair.  She smiled brightly at you and once again you can't find it in yourself to hate her.  "I'm sorry if I'm bothering you.  Jiyong is in a meeting and I knew he had practice.  So I thought I'd come down here.  I can leave if you want."

"No, its fine," you say with a shrug of your shoulders. 

"Thank you.  What song is this, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars," you reply quietly before standing up and making your way to the computer as the song began to repeat itself once again.

"No please don't turn it off.  I'm being honest.  I really am enjoying the song," she says and you stop walking.  You look around - unsure of what to do.  Playing with the hem of your oversized t-shirt, you once more feel dowdy compared to Narumi.  You're suddenly feeling quite thirsty and you eyeball your water bottle resting beside the model.  Pursing your lips, you curse yourself for not joining Jonathan when he had offered earlier.  Sighing quietly, you slowly and painfully head towards the water bottle without looking up at Jiyong's girlfriend.  "The melody of the song is quite haunting isn't it?  There is so much emotion in the song.  The lyrics are quite beautiful also.  If you don't actually listen to them, they can be very confusing because they are quite contradicting.  For example, he says your mouth is poison, your mouth is wine.  At first listen, you think how is someone going to say that is poison only to turn around and say it is wine?  But in truth what he means is that although she is toxic to him, she is what will bring relief to him.  She's the poison that he is addicted to and he knows that she is bad for him but he'll always return to her rather than stop.  You may say that I'm over analyzing the song but I'd have to say that my favorite lines are your hands can heal, your hands can bruise.  I don't have a choice but I'd still choose you"

"Why is that?" you're taken aback by the fact that she wasn't just another dumb model but you shouldn't have been so surprised knowing Jiyong.  He was never one to go for simple minded girls regardless of how beautiful they may be.  What surprised you more than anything was the fact that out of the entire song, she picked out your favorite lines.  "Why did you choose those as your favorite lines?"

"Because as much as they tell each other that they don't love each other and as much as they want to believe that they don't, the truth is the love is always there.  That love - it's always present.  Haunting them just like this song.  They're drawn to each other regardless of the hurt they will bring each other, hence the line about the hands.  His hands, like him, cause her a lot of pain and anguish.  The things he does to hurt her leave bruises, reminders of the torture he caused.  Yet he is also can make her happy, make her feel like no other and heal her - making those bruises fade away.  He is the only one who can make her feel those exquisite emotions.  I also chose 'I don't have a choice but I'd still choose you' because no matter if they aren't together, they'll find each other.  They have no choice, they're fated to be with each other - there's no one better.  They're destined to be together and even if they chose other people, chose a different path.  They'll end up meeting somewhere in the future because their paths will forever be intertwined.  At least that is my take on the song but since the song is so ambiguous that it can be interpreted differently.   To be quite honest, I can find myself relating to parts of this song if you look at it from another angle."  You listen to Narumi explain and you frown at the sadness in her voice.  Truthfully, the last thing she said confused you.

"You do?  Which way is that?" you ask curiously.  The look on her face told you she was beginning to feel uncomfortable and instantaneously, you felt horrible for prying.  "I'm so sorry.  You don't need to explain."

"No, what I mean is that I can relate to parts of the song.  From past relationships, I mean."  She wasn't looking at you anymore.  Instead she was staring down at her intertwined fingers and you don't know how to diffuse the awkward atmosphere.  Before you could try, she looked up and you can see the flash of pain in her eyes.  It disappeared as quickly as it appeared and she replaced it with a fake smile.  "I've heard that Jiyong has been giving you a hard time.  I'm sorry he's been so difficult to work with."  The switch in topic left you speechless and confused.

"Jiyong has always been a perfectionist.  You get used to it.  I'd be surprised if he didn't make it difficult for me," you reply.

"He is isn't he?  But that's nothing new to you, right?  Jiyong told me you were once a trainee under YG.  Is that true?"

"Yes, I trained under YG.  Actually, it was Jiyong who got me signed as a trainee."

"That's right," she said with a smile.  "He did tell me that."

"Really?" you were surprised to know that he had mentioned you at all.  "Did he tell you anything else about me?"

"That you guys were best friends before you left and that you left rather abruptly."

"Best friends?"  You stop drinking from the water bottle and frown.  "Is that all he said?"

"Yes.  Is he wrong?  Is there more?" Narumi questioned you and cocked her head.  She was silently studying you and it made you squirm uncomfortably under her scrutiny.

"Nope," you reply as your chest squeezed painfully.  "We were just friends."  There was that throbbing pain again and it continued to torture you as you lied to the beautiful model.  Still, you were unsure whether it was because you had lied or the fact that Jiyong only regarded your relationship as a friendship.  "That's all we ever were back then.  Friends."

"Do you think you and Jiyong will ever get close again?  As close as you guys used to be?  You know, before...before you left?"  You watched her carefully as she searched for the correct wording to her question and you silently laugh.  If she actually knew how close Jiyong and you had been before you left, she wouldn't be asking you that question.

"Never."  The answer was short, cold and to the point.  It also had not come from you but rather from someone behind you.  You watched as Narumi looked up and stilled.  You on the other hand didn't need to turn around - you could pick out that voice in a crowded room.  "We'll never get back to where we were before because that would mean that I forgave her and that's something I'll never do."

"Jiyong-ah," you heard the pretty girl protest.

"Narumi, stop it, I'm done discussing this and it's not going to change," the skinny man replied quickly and you watched as she stood up furiously - ready to defend you.

"Stop," you whispered to the girl.  She opened up to argue and you quickly shake your head.  "I really don't want you two to fight about this.  He's not going to change his mind and I'm fine with his decision."

"But," she tried again and once again you shake your head.

"It's fine.  I'm fine," you lie and the hand clenching your heart tightened its grasp making you wince from the pain it caused.  The tension in the studio is diffused as back up dancers begin to filter into the room.  You quickly run over to the computer and stop the song before relaxing at the sight of Jonathan making his way towards you as the last of the dancers tip toed in.  Out of the corner of your eye, you spy Jiyong speaking with his new girlfriend before giving her a final nod and a kiss on her forehead.  The frown that had been on Narumi's face was replaced with a smile of happiness and you knew that she had just won whatever they were discussing.

"Anything exciting happen while I was away?" Jonathan asked with a nod towards the couple as he leaned up against the wall beside the computer.

"You mean besides having her come in shortly after you left, listening to her dissect one of my favorite songs - which she proved that she actually had brains and knew what she was actually talking about and said some things to confuse me even more?"

"Apparently it was more interesting in here.  You should've gone to the cafeteria with me," he teased with a smile.   "I take it he just came in then?"

"Pretty much.  Give or take a few minutes."

"Oh? The both of you are still alive and the building is still standing?  I take he didn't really say anything to you then?"

"Not really.  He just reminded me that he'll never forgive me for leaving.  You know the usual," you try to say lightly with a shrug.  You can tell by the pity in Jonathan's eyes that you hadn't succeeded and so you attempt to put on a fake smile which only caused him to throw his arm around your shoulders.  You appreciate the tender squeeze he gives you and his support is comforting.  You give him a sad smile.  "It hurts.  He's never going to forgive me.  Why am I doing this?" you whisper quietly enough just for him to hear as you sag into Jonathan's embrace, laying your head onto his strong shoulder.

"Come on, hang in there.  You can do this and he'll forgive you," he stated softly.

"Can't I just give up?  This is too hard."

"No, I won't let you give up."

"Why not?" you question with a pout.

"Because there are things you don't see," you hear him reply and it caused you to look up at him with a frown.

"What do you mean by that?" you ask him.  You knit your eyebrows and scowled when Jonathan smiled and shook his head.  "Jonathan, you can't just-"

"I'm not paying you to cuddle so if you two are finished; I'd like to see what you have come up with."  The sound of Jiyong's cold voice interrupted your question and you turned to scowl at the skinny man.  You needed to know what Jonathan knew that you didn't.  What did he mean when he said there were things you hadn't seen?  With a frustrated sigh, you turned to the crowd of back up dancers waiting for you to start.  Quickly, you made a reminder to badger the truth from Jonathan after rehearsals.

……..

"Alright, you guys did great," you yell out to the group as you check the time and then to the sweaty skinny man who was currently checking his phone in hopes that he would agree.  You frowned as he grunted in response without looking up from his phone.  He was probably texting his model girlfriend who had left halfway through the rehearsal.  Rolling your eyes, you continue to encourage the exhausted dancers.  "We'll need to fix a few of the wrinkles like smoothing out the transitions and such but we can work on that in the next couple of rehearsals."

"You won't have that much time," Jiyong spat out, surprising you.  Looking towards the man, you arch an eyebrow and wait for him to continue.  "The plans have changed.  You're going to need to work on choreography for all of the songs."

"Excuse you?" you ask incredulously.  "You want me to do what?"

"Start working on choreography for all of the songs," he repeated slowly and you scowl.  You stare at Jiyong before noticing that the crowd of dancers sneaking out of the dance studio.  Neither of you spoke until Jonathan shrugged and closed the studio door.  This was beginning to seem like déjà vu - you and Jiyong arguing once again. It was really becoming really annoying. 

"You expect me to do that in two months?"  You spit out while throwing your towel into the open duffle bag.

"Well if you don't, it looks like you'll be staying longer."

"The hell I am.  I signed a contract for two months Jiyong."

"Then I suggest you quit messing around and start working on it."

"Messing around?" you sputter angrily.  "I was not the one who has been ing around Kwon Jiyong."

"What are you trying to say?  That it's my fault that you couldn't get it right?"

"It was perfectly fine the first time."

"It wasn't good enough," he replies with a glare.  You know exactly what the glare meant.  You weren't supposed to question him on his decision and you would have immediately dropped it if you were still with him but the fact was that you weren't.  There was no way you were going to drop the argument.

"No Jiyong.  The truth is that the first routine was fine but you had to nitpick it all apart.  But then again you're so stuck on trying to hurt me.  You're trying to do everything to break me.  Fine, if that's how you're going to play then so be it.  Challenge accepted.  Break me.  I'm so far past damaged that I'll never be able to be put back together but do your best.  Insult me, make your digs, do all the jabbing you want and yell at me," you snap.  Slinging the strap of the duffle bag over your shoulder you glare at the skinny man.  "Do whatever makes you happy.  Do what you feel I deserve but don't expect me to just sit here and take it Jiyong."

……..

"He wants you to do what?" Jonathan exclaimed and you scowl down at your plate of food.  You had been so hungry but the moment the conversation turned to Jiyong your appetite had disappeared.  You had always hated arguing with Jiyong and instinctively you remember the last big fight that you had had with him.  The one that caused you to leave.  Shaking your head, you push aside the memory and purse your lips unhappily.   You shove the plate full of food away from you and meet Jonathan's questioning gaze.

"I'm not hungry," you supply with a shrug and begin to play with the coffee cup.

"You just said you were starving."

"I'm not hungry anymore," you correct with a roll of your eyes.  The look on his face told you he didn't believe you but accepted it anyways before facing his plate again.

"So are you going to do it then?"

"I really don't have a choice, do I?"  You say bitterly into the mug of coffee.

"You think you're going to be able to do it in less than a month and a half?"

"If the dancers can learn and memorize the steps and as long as Jiyong doesn't argue the entire time or demand that I change the choreography like he has been then I'll be able to do it," you say with a sigh.

"And do you really think he's not going to argue?"  You watch as Jonathan arched an eyebrow and smiled smugly at you.

"If he knows what's good for him then he won't argue but he'll argue.  He's going to demand, complain, insult and hurt me as much as he can."

"You're just going to take it then?"

"Do I just ever take it?"

"I think when it comes to him you do," you hear him answer you honestly.  "Don't look at me like I just insulted you.  Just hear me out.  The girl I knew in L.A. wouldn't have taken the his done to you.  Personally, I think you're allowing him to treat you like this because in some erse place in your mind - you feel like you deserve to be treated like this.  I really don't know the whole story but what I do know is that he's wasn't the only one hurting.  You shouldn't be allowing him to treat you like this.  You can only take so much."

"It's nothing I can't handle Jonathan," you assured with finality in your voice and hope that Jonathan understood that you wanted to drop the subject of Jiyong immediately.  He gave you a quick nod and returned all his attention to his food.  "Plus I've already accepted it as a challenge.  There's no backing out now."  Jonathan looked up at you stunned and you gave him a sheepish smile.  "Told him that too."

"You did?"  You nod in response as your stomach growled and you watched as his face broke out into a large grin.  Feeling better, you grab a hold of the plate and begin to pick at the food.  "Good.  So do you think tomorrow's rehearsal is going to get better."

"I hope so."

"Me too because I'm positive the dancers are getting tired of all the arguing that's been going on."

"Really?  And here I thought you guys were enjoying it," you tease.

"Enjoying it like a needle in the eye."  You laughed at his reply and offered him an apologetic look which he accepted with a smile of his own.  You watched as he pushed his plate away before sitting back in his chair and watched.  "So when do you want to start working on the other songs?"

"Tomorrow morning?"

"Sounds like a plan."

……..

"Good job everyone.  Starting tomorrow, we'll start on the next song," you yell out to the group of dancers and watched as they hurried back to their bags.  It also surprised you how fast they scurried out of the dance studio before you could say another thing.  You felt bad that they were so uncomfortable that they had to hurry out like that.  Much to your amazement, the rehearsal had gone well without too much of a disagreement from Jiyong.

"Dinner tonight?"  You hear Jonathan ask you as he walked up and handed you the camcorder.

"Of course," you replied and watched him leave the dance studio before packing up your own things.  You had gotten used to having dinner with Jonathan.  It was a good way to wind down after a long day.  He had a habit of cheering you up and you had begun to look forward to it.  Making your way to the computer, you find yourself smiling at how great the day had been only to be brought back to reality with the abrupt sound of someone clearing their throat.  Looking up, you are met with the image of Jiyong sitting quietly in the corner beside the computer as if he had been waiting for you.  "Jiyong, you're still here?  I thought you had left."

"Well I'm still here so apparently I didn't leave," he replied sarcastically and it caused you to purse your lips.

"I just figured you had left with the dancers," you mumbled with a sigh.

"Well I didn't," he snapped.  "Tell me, are you two dating now?"

"What does it matter to you Jiyong?" you challenged with a cocked eyebrow.  "Listen, I really don't want to argue.  Rehearsal went great and I just want to have a good day.  So can we just not argue today?"

"Fine," he agreed softly.  "I didn't stay to argue anyways."

"Is there something you'd like to say Jiyong?"  You watched him fidget nervously under your stare and it amused you slightly.  You continued to study him as he played with his rings - turning them around on his fingers while he avoided your gaze.  He flicked the screen of his expensive phone before turning it back off.  "Jiyong?"

"I was wondering, well, actually Narumi, my-" He stopped and looked up at you unexpectedly.  There's a flash of emotion in his eyes and it's gone before you can figure it out.

"Your girlfriend, the model?"  You want to laugh at the look on his face.  "Don't be so surprised Jiyong.  You know how people talk around here."

"It was Bommie huh?"

"You know I can't reveal my sources.  Now what about Narumi?"

"She wants...she was thinking...wondering actually, if you're not busy tomorrow night.  That you'd like to go out to dinner with us tomorrow night."

"Dinner?  With you guys?"  You're horrified at the thought and you're positive that it had shown on your face.  "You've got to be joking right?"

"No.  She wants us to be friends again."  He grumbled before grimacing.  It appeared to be just as painful for him to say as it was for you to hear.  You have the urge to throw back your head and laugh hysterically at it all.

"Really?"  You can't disguise the disbelief in your voice.  "I don't think it's a good idea, Jiyong."

"Trust me, I dislike the idea just as much," he quietly stated and the distain in his voice stung like a slap across your cheek.

"Then why are you even entertaining the thought?"

"Because you do stupid things for people you love," he snapped.  The statement hurt like hell and you tried hard to not lose your composure.  "And as much as I detest the idea.  It seems that she wants to be your friend too."

"Why?"  You couldn't put your finger on it but there was something that didn't seem right to you.  You had known Jiyong long enough to know that he was keeping something from you.  The question was what he was hiding.  Narrowing your eyes, you stare at the skinny man.  "What are you hiding Jiyong?"

"I-I'm not hiding anything," he sputtered which only caused you to purse your lips and study him even more.

"What's the catch?"

"There isn't any catch.  Why are you so paranoid?"

"Why am I so paranoid?  Let's see Jiyong, you have been nothing but an since I've been back.  The last time you were nice to me was to get me to work with you and look where we are now.  We've done nothing but argue.  You can see why I'm so paranoid about this offer.  So what's the real reason?"

"There isn't an ulterior motive here.  She just wants to have dinner with you so are you going to go or not because I need to let her know tonight."

"Fine," you answer with narrowed eyes.  You didn't know what possessed you to agree to the dinner date but you were more than curious about the model.  She seemed harmless and as long as she was present, Jiyong wouldn't do or say anything stupid.  "What time and where should I meet you?"

"Nine tomorrow night and I'll pick you up at the hotel.  Dress up," he stated with a shrug.  You watched as he stood up from his spot and shuffled out of the studio without another glance.

You return to collecting all your things and silently replayed what had just happened in your mind.  The way Jiyong had been acting left you even more confused.  You were positive he was holding something back and it left an odd taste in your mouth.  Brushing aside the doubt, you sling the strap of your duffle bag over your shoulder and head home.

……..

"Why did I agree to this?" you groan out as you pace the hotel room.  "What was I thinking?"

"I have no idea," Jonathan replied with a shake of his head and resumed to watching you break down.  You can tell he's amused with your struggle.  "Why did you agree to it in the first place?"

"I don't know," you exclaimed.  With a frustrated sigh, you check the time before sprinting back over to the bathroom and check yourself over.  After rehearsal today, Jiyong had reiterated that you needed to dress up and that he would be at the hotel to pick you up at nine o'clock.  "Should I just cancel?  I still have fifteen minutes."

"I highly doubt that he's going to let you cancel."  There was amusement laced in that response and if you weren't so anxious, you would've done something about it.  Like kick him.

Drumming your fingers along the bathroom counter, you study your reflection in the mirror and huff.  Although the white A-line dress fit a bit more snug than you remembered, it hugged your every curve and ended just above the knee.  The black belt sat perfectly around your waist and the layered bracelets on both wrists jingled with your every nervous movement while simple diamond earrings adorned your ears.  Reaching up, you pick at the messy bun sitting at the nape of your neck before playing with the loose sections of hair that framed your face.  Bending closer to the mirror, you check your makeup and catch a glimpse of Jonathan observing you.  Straightening up, you smooth out the dress and step out of the bathroom.  There was a look of admiration on his face and you scowled.  "Do you think I'm over dressed?  Maybe I should change.  Should I take off the jewelry?"

"No, you look fine.  You don't look over dressed."

"Are you sure?  Maybe I should just change into dress pants and a fancy top," you respond.

"You don't have any time," he stated with a nod to the clock.  Turning around, you glance up at the clock and saw that you had five minutes which caused the nervousness rumbling around in your stomach to kick up a notch.  You let out a whimper of pain as you accepted the black clutch Jonathan offered.  Quickly, you slip into a pair of your favorite black peep toe wedges and waited for Jonathan to stand up.  "I'll go down with you," he offered with a smile and you give him a grateful one in return.

The ride down in the elevator was pure silence and you were positive you had held your breath the entire time.  You wanted to cry and go back up to your hotel room as the doors opened.  You would have done so if Jonathan hadn't held onto your elbow and nudged you out of the elevator.  "I don't want to go," you murmured.

"There's really no turning back now.  You're already all dressed up.  Come on, I'll even wait with you outside until he gets here," you hear Jonathan say as he guided you towards the entrance of the hotel.  As you neared the glass doors, you spy a sleek white Bentley and frown at the sight of Jiyong leaning up against it.  You begin to admire the dark outfit he was wearing only to be distracted at the soft whistle that came from Jonathan.  Looking up you watched as he nodded to the car.  "Nice car.  Quite flashy."

"It's very fitting for him don't you think?" you reply with a shrug, making Jonathan to laugh.  You allow Jonathan to open up the hotel glass door.  There's a dark look that crosses Jiyong's face and it catches you off guard.  What was more mind boggling was the bone crushing hug that Jonathan was giving you.  There's a smug smile on his face and delight in his eyes when you looked up.  Bending down, he brushed aside a lock of your hair and you can feel his warm breath near your ear.  "Don't worry, you look beautiful.  He hasn't been able to take his eyes off of you and by the look that he just flashed me - I'm positive he wants to kill me.  Go and charm the model's pants off.  If you want out, just call me alright?  I'll come get you."

"Thanks," you whisper back with a grateful smile before taking a step back from Jonathan's comfortable embrace.  You watched until he made his way through the glass doors and back into the hotel before turning around to meet the icy glare that belonged to Jiyong.  You wait as he opened the car doors and ignore the looks of accusation he was currently shooting at you.  It wasn't until the car door was closed that it hit you as you looked around the car.  "Where's your girlfriend?" you yell out as soon as Jiyong slid into the car and you could tell it startled him.

"She couldn't make it."  His answer was gruff and full of coldness.  You gape at him as he pulled away from the hotel and there's a sense of panic building up from inside of you.

"What do you mean she couldn't make it?"

"There was an unexpected offer that she couldn't turn down."  His answer was quiet and the feeling that he was hiding something came back.  His response was too rehearsed and he was far too relaxed for being in the car with you.  Narrowing your eyes, you study him.

"Jiyong."

"Hmmm?"  For a man who liked making eye contact when speaking, Jiyong was making at show of avoiding your gaze.  His fingers tapped to the beat of the song playing on the radio as the two of you waited at a red light.  He pursed his lips and looked out of the driver side window.

"We can always reschedule..."

"I've already made reservations and I haven't eaten.  Have you?"

"No but I can grab something to eat with Jonathan.  Just turn around," you advise a finger pointing back towards the hotel.

"We already have reservations.  I am not turning around and dropping you off so you can hang out with your precious dancer," he hissed between clenched teeth.  You're thrown back into the seat as the car pushed forward with an unexpected spurt of speed.  Clutching to the seat, you send out a silent prayer that no one would get hurt and that he wasn't going to get pulled over.  A few scenarios flew through your mind and the word scandal flashed in big bright red letters at the thought of Jiyong being pulled over.

"Please slow down," you plead while placing a shaky hand onto his arm when you notice he was too close to the car in front of you.  You watched him flinch and automatically pull away from you.  Bringing your hand back into your lap, you stare back at the road and fight back the tears as you recall the look of disgust on his face and his reaction to your touch.  You're unaware that Jiyong had backed off and slowed down.  You're too lost in your own thoughts and questions.  You don't even notice that the car had come to a stop.  The sound of the passenger side door opening and the cool night breeze welcomed you back to reality.  Silently, you slide out of the car and look up at the run down building.  "Where are we?"

"At the restaurant," he replied as he ushered you into the building.  To your surprise, the interior of the restaurant beautifully decorated with its high ceiling, chandeliers and expensive decorations.  You would have never imagined it to be so lavish from the outside of the building.  You're too busy admiring the decorations to realize that Jiyong's hand had found its place at the small of your back until it was gently pushing you along behind the maître d’.  You're now fully aware of the stares directed towards you and Jiyong as you continued to follow the pretty lady through the dining area to the back.  You tense up at the sight of the dimly hallway and the hairs on your arm begin to stand up.

"Where are we going Jiyong?"

"You wanted a challenge right?"  His quiet whisper sent a chill through you and it scared you.

"W-what are you planning?"

"You'll see," he answers and you turn your head just in time to see the glee sparkling in his eyes.  It makes you sick as the truth hit you head on.

"Your girlfriend doesn't know about this does she?"

"Nope.  She never knew but I was telling the truth about the unexpected offer."

"I want to go home now," you hissed.

"It's a little too late now sweetheart."  His reply was dripping with hatred and you're trembling as you're shown to a private room in the back of the restaurant.  Your heart stops at the sight in front of you as a gasp rang through the small space.  You weren't alone.

"I hate you Kwon Jiyong," you whisper.  You're blinded by the threat of unshed tears but not before seeing the shocked look on your mother and father's faces.  "I hate you so much."