The First Change

Things Left Unsaid

When we first met I hadn’t even bothered to really look at Sehun, I hadn’t bothered to look at any of them really. I was more concerned with my classes I’d been taking, more concerned about how I’d make this huge change that had suddenly happen normal, how I’d normalize not being an intern in the Accounting Department, how I’d survive my internship in the Coordinator’s Department. Sehun had been the last life altering encounter I’d ever suspect; otherwise, I would have avoided him. But like many important life lessons and encounters, they’re subtle and barely recognizable at first; it isn’t until later that you see how people in particular can be a storm in everyday life and change things slowly, quickly, in a moment, over a few months or even in seconds.

 

Instead of paying attention to the rather long speech I’ve decided to focus on my school work, after all I do have a test coming up and I rather think of myself as a student first rather than as an intern first. I go over several concepts for my advanced literary class.

“Remember, I don’t want to hear anyone getting overly excited about the boys, they’re just people.” Our supervisor says in a very firm and austere kind of tone, this of course catches my attention, her tone and the connotation of how she’d said the words. I glance around seeing almost all the other interns with looks of anticipation on their faces. I blink a moment and decide to stay focus now that the speech is over.

I’ve recently been reassigned to a new department here at SM Entertainment. I’ve been an intern here since my second year of high school, the paid internship as well as a scholarship for university has made me rather hesitant on even consider leaving.

My focus is snapped towards doors opening and several women coming in to stand next to several girls and boys; one woman comes and stands next to me. “I’m going to be your mentor and partner,” She says cheerfully. “I’m Minah,” She says. I quickly note that the rest of the girls that have been transferred to this department look even more on edge. “What’s your name?” Minah asks grabbing my attention again.

I focus on the pretty woman with long dark brown hair, her makeup is done in a very natural manner, she’s also dressed stylishly, yet comfortably, I surmise that Minah is very friendly and open. “Song Miyoung,” I answer bowing respectively towards my new colleague and mentor. “It is a pleasure to meet you.”

Minah grins at me in a very friendly manner still as the others begin to talk. “So do you have any questions?”

For a moment I debate if Minah will be able to answer my question. “I’d been transferred here to the Coordinator’s Department; I was told before that I’d be staying in the Accounting Department, why was I transferred?” I question.

Minah looks at me rather surprised, I realize, I may have missed something in that speech that was given. “Well, I’m not hundred percent sure why, but a lot of the time they transfer interns like trading cards, the Coordinator’s Department is very good at getting the people that they want.” She explains giving me a kind smile. “Usually it’s purely by volunteering, you didn’t ask to be transferred?”

I shake my head; I’d already been perfectly comfortable where I was. “No, not that I’m objecting, I was just curious is all.” I answer while shrugging my shoulders.

“Then you were definitely on someone’s wish list.” Minah explains cheerfully. “Anything else?” She asks in a very open manner, I look around the room again taking in several others looking as though they are anticipating what comes next. “It is a lot to take in,” Minah says gently.

“I agree,” I state simply as the woman who’d given the speech before begins to take the room’s attention again.

“Alright, your mentor will take you to the group you’ll be assisting with, remember any excessive behavior at any time is grounds for immediate dismissal from the Department and possibly the internship.” She says seriously before giving several serious looks around the room, the very serious woman then makes a quick exit with several people trailing after her.

“Groups?” I ask turning to Minah slightly confused. “We’ll be working with idols?” I ask making the jump from the initial assumption I’ve made.

I hear a girl snort at my question. “Weren’t you listening? It’s not like you’ll last long if you can’t even bother to pay attention.” I turn to the girl and eye her over before shaking my head and turning my attention away from her. “No response?” She taunts.

“I’m sorry, you weren’t worth the attention, I have other things that actually require and are worth the attention and a proper response.” I tell her simply. I note that the girl isn’t exactly pleased with my answer, judging from the hush coming around the people around us.

“We better get going so we can help set up,” Minah says quickly nodding for us to leave, I follow behind her calmly, I focus back on concepts, literary dates, themes, plots, and significance. “Miyoung-sshi that was a rather amazing way to shut her down, though I’m not sure it was the exactly best way to make friends.”

“I’m not really interested in making friends with a lot of those people; I have time for this job and then my classwork and actually attending school.” I explain simply. “Besides, I’m sure that was the perfect example of me being bad with people on a rather large scale.”

“Pretty honest aren’t you,” Minah muses. “Well, that might just be why you were traded. Anyways, our group is primarily a sub-unit.” I frown and nod for her to go on. “We’ll work with the whole group and another team depending on the event and what’s needed; otherwise we’ll be sticking to our selected group and probably a few others in prepping, traveling, and anything else we need to do.”

“You’ve narrowed it down to about three groups,” I answer not really enjoying any of the choices I’m come up with.

Minah chuckles rather cutely, I let out a small sigh as I consider what group we’ve been assigned to. “EXO-K, no need to look so excited Miyoung-sshi.” Minah jokes as we get off the elevator. I follow behind her slightly resentful of my current new position. “The first few days will be more about me teaching you the ropes and helping you adjust to the change.” Minah pauses a moment before smiling at me in a calming kind of way before continuing, “The boys are friendly and fairly easy to talk to; we’ll mainly be making sure that all their stage outfits are in in order, fixing or going out for anything we might need in a pinch. Miyoung-sshi, you’re scowling.”

I blink slightly surprised. “I’m sorry; I’m a bit concerned is all. Minah-sshi, I’m bad with people, I’ve been told that I’m too honest with them and speak what I’m thinking prematurely.” I explain. While it has never really been a problem before it is now. I could easily offend one of the boys or their managers or any number of people.

Minah stops us in the middle of the hallway. “It’ll be okay, I’ll mediate between you and the boys if that’ll make you feel better, but I think in a few days you’ll adjust and be perfectly fine with or without me.”

“I rather you not add on without you.” I tell her plainly as we begin walking again. The walk to wherever we’re going is long, I’m not sure if I should be thankful that it is taking us so long to get to where we are going, or annoyed that it is taking so long. I listen to Minah tell me things about the Coordinator’s Department, things that I probably missed in the introductory speech.

“Alright here we are,” Minah says opening a door to a room filled with racks of clothing. “Today all we’re going to be doing is making sure that these stage outfits fit and are comfortable to them.” She says picking up three bags and handing them to me. “Today EXO has practice; we’ll be working with EXO-M’s team for the next few weeks until they wrap up promotions. EXO-M’s team isn’t new so they’ll wrap things up a bit faster than we will.” Minah explains.

“So long as it isn’t that girl from earlier,” I state not particularly caring for this internship. Minah chuckles quietly. “I’m glad you find me amusing Minah-sshi.” I shoot back at her smirking slightly. I like Minah; she’s very comforting to be around.

“It won’t be her, though I’m sure everyone in the Department has heard about what you said by now.” Minah says cheerfully. “And call me Unnie; we’re going to really close.”

Walking behind Minah carefully with the three bags in my hands I wonder if I’ll be able to find another job or internship with the same perks I have here. The odds aren’t in my favor. I let out a small sigh, “How long have you worked in this department?” I ask curiously trying to get a sense of how things should go for me.

Minah lets out a happy sigh. “I’ve been a coordinator for five years now, here at SM Entertainment for the last three years.” She chirps happily. “I’ve bounced around to a few different groups helping out where needed for the last year or so. I’m a bit excited to be working with one group though now full time.”

“You sound really happy.” I muse watching her; Minah sort of just shines with how she is. She’s bright, cheerful and happy about her life. “I’m glad you’re my mentor.” I say finally as we reach their practice room.

Minah grins at me; she seems to glow at the compliment and statement. “See Miyoung, we’re going to be extremely close.” She says before we walk in. Six of the boys are changed into outfits and walking around and joking in them while the other six, EXO-K I’m assuming.

Minah walks over to the six boys sitting in a circle talking. “Sorry we’re a bit late; I’ve been giving my protégé a little tour.” Minah says cheerfully as she approaches them all. “Miyoung, this is Suho, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kai, Kyungsoo, and Sehun.” She says gesturing to the six boys, all of which wave and smile at me.

I bow and smile slightly. “It’s nice to meet you all; I look forward to working with all of you all.” I say as I glance around to the six boys. While I’m not familiar with them I am fairly certain on who is who. Minah hands out the outfits to the boys, I follow her lead. I handing my last outfit to Sehun, his hand brushes against mine slightly. The sudden contact makes me let go quicker than I would have.

“Alright go get changed and we’ll do any adjustments that need to be done.” Minah says in what I’m assuming is her usual cheerful self.

“Minah, is this your newbie?” A woman asks walking over. “It’s nice to meet you; I’m Solbi head Coordinator for EXO-M.” She says introducing herself happily.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Song Miyoung.” I answer bowing respectfully. I glance to Minah questioningly as she just smiles at me. “Is something the matter?”

“No, no,” Minah says, well maybe gushing is a better word. “It’s just you’re so cute.” She says glancing to Solbi as if seeking confirmation. “Aigo, you’re so serious and adorable.”

Solbi smiles at me. “You’re in good hands, if not the best.” She assures me as I glance to her worriedly. “Minah is one of the best coordinators in the business.”

Minah shakes her head, “I’m aiming to be one of the best; I still have a lot to learn.” She assures me modestly. “Ah boys,” She cheers spinning around to smile at the six boys now filing in. “All looking handsome.”

I glance to see them all changed into high school uniforms in varying conditions, grinning and chatting happily with Minah. “Getting a feel for everything?” Solbi asks while standing next to me.

“I am,” I agree watching as they all stand in a line and do various moves that Minah commands for. After a moment I walk over to observe closer to try and understand what exactly I’m supposed to be doing.

“Miyoung,” Minah says gently as I pick up a tie tossed to the side by one of the boys. “Do you know how to tie that?” She asks curiously.

I nod my head. “My mom taught me.” I answer simply as she waves for one of the boys to come forward. Sehun leans down slightly. Turning his collar up, I focus on making sure that I’m tying the tie properly, that I’m not messing up, I ignore the way that he’s staring at me. After tightening and straightening the tie out, I look up, Sehun is staring at me with a slight smirk on his face. “Good?” I ask him.

“Perfect,” He answers simply. I step back and walk to stand next to Minah. “Noona, does it look good?” Sehun asks, he grins happily at us as we both look over, though it could just be for Minah.

Minah glances over to said guy and chuckles. “Sehun, yes, now let’s do a run through for the choreography.” Minah says as she tugs me back with her. I watch with Minah, Solbi and the other intern as EXO dances to their new song. It’s strange to be here, to feel like I’m doing nothing.

“Miyoung,” Minah says as the music stops. “We’re going to collect the outfits and then head back. Just some things to fill out then we’re done for the day.” She motions for the boys to leave. As the twelve boys go to change Solbi lets out a long sigh. “Where’s Bomi?”

Solbi frowns slightly. “Still on vacation, she’ll be back next week, Miyoung I think you’ll like her; she’s pretty friendly like Minah here.”

Minah simply grins at the compliment, humming slightly while swaying. “Do you have plans for tonight Miyoung?”

I let out a heavy sigh, my life as a part time student crashing on me. “I have a couple night classes,” I explain feeling drained just thinking about the three classes I have after this.

“Ah, you’re taking full advantage of the scholarship.” Solbi says sounding a bit impressed. “You’re kinda odd that way, most of the interns but school on the backburner or decide to just make this their career. So I guess you’re gonna take that time off to move to the closer apartment complex then, right?”

I glance to her confused. “What complex?”

Minah chuckles, “I’ll help you get settled in and explain it all.” She says walking over to me and patting the top of my head. “Aigo, what am I going to do, you’re too cute.”

I smile at Minah. “Unnie,” I say while sighing slightly. After collecting the uniforms Minah and I head off with Solbi, on the way Solbi and Minah explain that I can take a full week off, paid time off, to move into a complex closer to SM and move in, Minah also tells me that the scholarship I’m getting will be increased, pay, everything to more or less ensure that I stay where I am in this department.

“That’s kinda sneaky,” I complain while frowning. “How am I supposed to say no when they increase the scholarship?” I ask glancing to Minah and then Solbi.

“Well you know that’s how they operate to keep some of the best assets.” Solbi says smiling at me. “You’ll be fine with Minah, Bomi and I.” Solbi says cheerfully.

Minah nods her head happily. “Are you living with your parents still?”

I nod my head sighing again. My mother in particular worries about me working and only going to school part time. “It’ll be good to have the week off; I can try and get ahead on some papers too.” I say optimistically.

“Just be sure to get me a copy of your schedule so that I’m not conflicting with your classes.” Minah says worriedly. “Are you sure you’ll be okay with this? We’ll be running around everywhere while I have you for the summer.”

I nod my head and do my best to give a reassuring smile to them. “I can handle it.” I tell them as we board the elevator to go to the lobby. Though I honestly I am a bit worried, I’ve heard how busy the Coordinator Department is even when the group isn’t promoting. I’ll have to make this work though.



As promised, a longer chapter, 
What I have planned for this is mostly do show the progression of
Sehun and Miyoung before coming to the last chapter where it's present day again.
At least that's what I have planned right now.
So I hope you guys are excited!
I love to hear what you guys think so let me know in the comments!