How Things Ended

Things Left Unsaid

Needless to say I went and conveyed my acceptance for the opportunity the next day. I went through my classes rather easily, unbothered much like I had before Sehun. I refused to let the fight with Sehun affect me like it had done before, at least not openly. While at work I refused to show that Sehun had made a huge hole in me, that I’d been hurt like I was and still am. I regret this the most. Instead of trying to work things out with Sehun I simply left them as they were. I went to America to do what I’ve always wanted to do, but the circumstances surrounding me made it seem like I was making the wrong choice, made me feel like I was giving up a part of me for something I now felt half-hearted about.

“I’m so proud of you!” Minah says hugging me tightly after I’ve told her my exciting news. “I’m going to miss you so much, what am I going to do?” She says through a rollercoaster of emotions. I hug her tightly feeling a bit let down by all this still. “Do you know when you leave?” She asks while finally letting me go.

“In a week actually,” I explain while trying to get myself to be excited again. “I’m just waiting for the paper work to be processed.” I say smiling happily. “I can’t wait, I’m a bit nervous, but I think this is a good chance for me.”

“I think so too, you’ve worked so hard, I can’t even tell you how proud I am of you.” Minah says smiling at me much like my mother and father had. “You have to promise to call me and let me know how things are going for you. You’re going to be gone for a whole year!”

Bomi and Solbi both come into the practice room talking rather excited about something; Solbi takes one look at Minah and quirks a brow up. “Why are you in tears?”

I glance back to Unnie and see that she is indeed crying. “Unnie, you don’t need to cry.” I say smiling slightly at her affectionately; Minah only pulls me into a hug and squeezes me tightly.

“Our little Miyoung is going to America for a year; she was nominated for an exchange program at her school.” Minah explains once she finally let’s go of me, the look on both girls’ faces is stunned shock that changes into joy. “I know, that’s how I felt when she told me!”

“When do you leave?” Solbi asks as she drops her bag and hugs me tightly as well. “We’ll have to throw a going away party!”

“She leaves next week, do you know the exact day?” Minah asks me as she smiles at me still with that proud look on her face.

“Wednesday, sometime in the afternoon, my advisor is putting together the packet for me and everything; I just have to wait on the transfer papers from Colombia.” I say happily, though honestly speaking I feel a little hollow. “I still have to pack and everything.”

“Well we can have it on Saturday; if you want I can help you pack.” Bomi offers smiling at me affectionately. “It’ll be so weird that you’re not going to be around.”

“I’ll be back in a year,” I say optimistically. “Minah and I already discussed this, but she said when I get back I can still come back to the coordinator department under her next year.”

“That’s good,” Bomi says while walking over to hug me tightly. Quietly she looks at me and gives me a sort of small smile. “We can talk tonight after we get off.”

“Thanks.” I mumble hugging her again. “Anyways, we have stuff to do right?” I say as I turn to Minah, who nods her head, her eyes still tearing up. “Unnie, you can’t be crying all the time.”

She nods her head wiping her tears away. “Right, no more. I promise I won’t cry, at least in front of you.” Minah says while shaking herself.

Bomi and I begin prepping the clothing for EXO; she glances at me and sighs. “I take it you and Sehun fought about this.”

“We actually broke up.” I tell her calmly as I straighten out my three outfits for the boys I’m usually in charge of. “It’ll be okay. We probably wouldn’t have lasted much longer anyways, we’re both really different.” I say trying to convince myself. I catch myself and stop the tears that had been threatening from falling. “Anyways, I just need to get through this next week and I can put it all behind me.”

“If that’s what you think is best for you.” Bomi says softly. “I’ll support you.”

I smile at my friend and nod my head. We hear the boys before they even make it to the practice room, all the boys come in laughing and joking, Sehun looks as though he hadn’t even given one thought about me after he left my apartment, like he just got over me overnight. “Alright, while you boys have your meeting we’re going to load up the car, you have three interviews today and a fan meet as well.” Minah says happily.

Picking up my clothes on hangers I glance to Bomi and force a smile. “See, he’s fine. I am too.” I say forcing my calm façade. I’m very ready to get this week over with; I’m ready to be on that plane heading to America. I’m ready to start the year away from Sehun. I’m ready to go back to how I was.

“I forgot my phone in the car.” Sehun complains as he takes the clothes from Solbi and Bomi. “Miyoung and I can take all this, I’ll be back in time for the meeting.” He says abruptly handing me another three hangers from Minah.

I frown as I follow him out of the room. In the elevator Sehun lets out an annoyed sigh. “You know I’m sorry about how I reacted last night, right?”

“It’s fine, honestly speaking it’s probably for the best.” I say indifferently.

I can feel Sehun staring at me. “I know that’s just you faking it. I think it wasn’t. I want to talk to you, but you’re not really up for that right now.” Sehun says as I refuse to look at him. “Miyoung, I want to talk to you. Please, tomorrow we both don’t have work.”

“I have a meeting with my advisor tomorrow after my classes.” I tell him simply. “I’m not sure how long it’ll take. Besides you shouldn’t waste your day to rest. You should go do something fun or relax. You have a busy schedule coming up.”

Sehun and I don’t say anything as we walk through the parking garage, it isn’t until we’re heading back that he finally says something. “You’re mad at me again, I really am sorry for reacting like that. Miyoung, I like you a lot and it was kind daunting to be told you would be going overseas for a year. I got scared you’d just forget about me if you were to go.”

“Sehun, you should hurry, you have that important meeting.” I tell him simply. “I don’t want you getting in trouble because of me.” I say simply as I finally face him. The look on Sehun’s face is hurt, his shoulders slump slightly, his arms just hang at his side, and worst of all he looks as though he’s about to cry. Instead of comforting him I watch as Sehun stops and just stares at me. I realize that I could have fixed things, we could have talked about things, but I’m not sure what to tell him, he still thinks I’m considering going, he doesn’t know I already confirmed everything with my professor.

Sehun quickly pulls himself together, he walks passed me and leaves me to walk back on my own. I don’t have time to chase after him, just as I make it to the entrance of the parking garage Minah, Bomi, and Solbi are walking towards me.

“I was trying to tell that kid that we’d wait in the car, but he just took off so fast.” Solbi says while shaking her head. I follow behind them quietly not really wanting to say anything. “Did something happen, you’re pretty quiet.”

“I’m always quiet.” I point out simply as I smile at Solbi and the others. Bomi is the only one that looks back at me a second time, a concerned look on her face. I simply shake my head to her when she mouths for us to talk later.

 

Once we’re back in the practice room with everyone, talking excitedly about how well everything went today, Minah stands up in front of everyone. “Alright, since our work day has officially ended, I have some news.” Everyone looks at her expectantly; I realize that this is probably about me leaving. “We’re going to be throwing Miyoung a going away party.”

“What?” the boys all say confusedly, Sehun looks at me with a look that doesn’t need an explanation. He’s furious.

Minah smiles proudly again at me. “She’s going to be going away for a year at another university, we’re all very proud that she’s gotten this very important chance in her life. We’re just going to have a small little party for her, mostly because I know she’d kill me in my sleep if we did anything extravagant. I just thought you boys would like to come.” She says happily. “Anyways, Solbi and I have some planning to do, and I’m sure Miyoung has to get some packing at least started.”

I smile at her getting up nodding my head. “Thank you so much Unnie, I’ll see you later.” I say ready to make my own exit as Solbi hugs me and leaves with Minah excitedly discussing dinner options.

“You’re going away for a year?” Suho says shocked as he looks at me and then very discreetly to Sehun.

This is quickly drowned out by congratulations from the others. I feel rather overwhelmed by all this; I glance around nodding my head somewhat dazed by all the fuss. “Yeah, I was really surprised when my professor said that I was nominated for the exchange program.”

“That’s really amazing,” Lay says while pulling me out of the center of attention. “We’re looking forward to the party; we’re going to miss you around here though.”

I smile at them all and thank them for their good wishes. I though wonder if this is what they’d be saying if they’d seen how I made Sehun look earlier. I somehow think they’d be giving me some very different sentiments. “I have to go, Bomi and I have plans. I’ll see you guys on Friday though.” I say as I pull my jacket on and grab my bag.

By the time Bomi and I get to my apartment she is looking at me very surprised. “Sehun left as soon as all they all stood up to congratulate you.”

“I didn’t have the chance to notice.” I say quietly in the safety of my apartment. “But like I told you, he broke up with me last night for just telling him about it.”

“I think this is about more than just this.” Bomi says quietly. “What did he say when you both took the clothes to the car?”

I close my eyes, not wanting to talk about any of this, I rather just pack and hurry up and get on that plane next week. “He said he was sorry, that he was worried about us, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t any chance of fixing it, he thought I hadn’t confirmed yet, last night I was just talking about going, but when he said we were done I was furious with him.”

“So you said you’d go.” Bomi says while sighing. “Jeez, I feel like I’m in a drama. What are you going to say to him?”

“I don’t think he’s going to talk to me, all day he just avoided me.” I say simply. “I’m not sure things are really fixable.”

“I think you both just need to talk about things and before you leave.” Bomi says as she follows me to my room. “You’re going to pack?”

“I leave in a week; I have a lot of things to get settled.” I tell her simply.

Bomi sighs heavily as she sits on my bed. “You’re just going to run away from this.”

“I am.” I answer simply.