Chap12

Switch

Right on time, Mr. Yoo exited the music room as Si-eun arrived.

“There you are, Mi-eun! We’ve been waiting for you!” He dragged her before she could even protest.

Si-eun was just actually going to leave her twin’s things in the music room, in case she’s running late. She didn’t expect things would turn like this.

*No! I can’t miss my tryouts!*

Mr. Yoo pulled her until she was in the middle of the stage. There was a large audience, about fifty people or something. It was probably why Mi-eun is having trouble to face this audition. It made Si-eun panic more than she already is; she wanted to run and find her sister.

“We’re ready, Mi-eun.” Mr. Yoo said.

Ken went up to her. “Are you okay? I’m sorry if I was ignoring you. Don’t worry about it. Let’s talk later. You have to perform now.”

“C-can I go last?” She asked Mr. Yoo.

“You are last.” He answered.

“C’mon, Mi. Don’t mind the audience. You can do this.” Ken gave her a light squeeze on her shoulder before leaving her alone in the middle of the stage.

Si-eun heaved a deep sigh. She started to try and play the violin, but only got a screeching sound afterwards; everyone grimaced.

She had no choice but to play unimaginable notes. The audience expression was as if they were listening to fingernails screeching on the board. Even Ken was gaping.

When she was done, she didn’t have the guts to look up and just stare on the floor. She just ruined her twin’s dream.

“I’m…speechless.” Mr. Yoo spoke. He cleared his throat and turned to the rest of the students. “I guess we’re all done here. I’ll post the list of passers tomorrow.”

Everyone started to leave.

“I’m sorry.” Si-eun said. “If I…I could…try again…t-tomorrow…p-please…”

“I had a very high expectation on you.” He sighed. “There’s always next year.” He patted her back.

 

Back to the gym, N and Ravi were transforming Mi-eun to Si-eun.

“I can’t face them as Si-eun!”

“Sure you can. You two have been doing it from the very beginning.” N said.

Her eyes widened. N knows? Then, Ravi surely knows too! Were they too obvious? But they thought they’ve been doing a good job. Who else know?

“You have to this, Mi, for your sister. I’m sure she would do the same thing for you.” Ravi said, diverting her attention.

“I would, if I could just play soccer! I can’t mess up her tryouts!”

“You can do this. Because of your constant switching, Si-eun became better in math, same goes to you and soccer.” N said.

She sighed.

“Ready?” Ravi asked.

Well, she had no choice but to nod.

“Remember, focus on the ball, not your feet.” Ravi reminded as he and N walked her to the field.

“Where’s your sister?” Ms. Lee asked.

“Mi-eun decided to join the choir than the soccer team.” N spoke for her.

“Okay, do warm-up laps!” Ms. Lee ordered

 

Surprisingly, N and Ravi were right. She became more athletic; she managed to do the three-lap warm up. She looked up and saw Leo; he looked like he knew something was wrong.

The next step was doing drills. Thankfully, N and Ravi were there to cheer for her.

“Si-eun, the ball!” Someone called.

Mi-eun turned around to see the ball fast approaching her direction. She closed her eyes and randomly kicked; she heard N and Ravi scream and cheer. She opened her eyes and was shock that she scored a goal! She widely grinned. She couldn’t believe it. Suddenly, the ball was flying again…heading her way. But this time, someone else kicked it for her. She noted to herself to thank that person from saving her, but when she looked to her right, it was her twin.

“Si-eun?!” She gaped.

“What’s going on?” Ms. Lee asked.

Leo stood up from his seat as well, confused.

“Sorry, Ms. Lee, I was running late so my sister covered for me.” Si-eun said.

“So you’re Mi-eun?” She asked.

She shook her head. “I’m Si-eun, the sporty one.”

“You two are making my head ache! Start doing the drills!” She ordered Si-eun who excitingly obliged.

Mi-eun sat on the bench beside Leo, N, and Ravi as they all watch Si-eun rock the field.

“So…You’re the real Mi-eun?” Leo asked.

She nodded.

“And she’s Im Si-eun.” He smiled at Si-eun’s direction.

“The one and only sport-obsessed.” Mi-eun said.