To the Beautiful Lanny

Cheesecake with Coffee (Fried Tofu Cake sequel) [on-going: chapter 16] #ALIVEEEEEE

 

“Once upon a time in a faraway peninsula, there lived a little boy named Daehyun. He was born in Gwangju but grew up in Busan. He spent 18 years of his life studying, listening to his parents, eating, singing, playing and living his life happily.

“Then, when he reached 19, he promised to himself that he will find the right girl for him. That’s the time he crossed fates with a foreigner named Lanny. They first met at his favorite hangout – National Library of Korea. He was actually thinking of a thousand ways to approach her without being cocky or pesky. To his surprise, she went to his favorite section of the library. So, he followed and observed her.

“He watched her every move, from her straight chestnut brown hair swaying with her, her hazel eyes looking at the spines  of books, her pale pink lips saying words he doesn’t understand, her delicate hands brushing past a row of paperbacks, her long legs pacing back and forth. He was in total awe of her.

“She took Pride and Prejudice excitedly while he was still relishing the sight of her. Then, she noticed that he was looking at her. She asked him if he’s getting a book or not.

“He was totally overwhelmed by her beautiful voice. He knew he has to answer in a way they’ll be talking for a long time. He can’t let the opportunity slip away. So, he pointed the book she was holding and replied, ‘You already took the one I want.’

“The girl apologized to him, giving him the book he indicated.

“He wanted more interaction with her, so he observed the book she gave him. He asked her if she likes romance, for Pride and Prejudice was one of the most romantic novels.

“She told him how romance novels gave her the feeling of falling in love and how it sounds stupid and how she sees herself in this country.

“He was deeply shocked with her words. How can a beautiful woman like her self-pity herself like this? So, he motivated her and gave her a piece of advice. And that piece of advice turned into long hours of conversation.

“He loved the way she tried hard to sound like a Korean with Busan satoori, but ended up using Seoul satoori, the way she laughs heartily, the way her eyes sparkle under the bright sunshine entering the window glass, the way her pale lips curl into a smile or a pout, the way she made him drawn to her slowly.

“He knew he must never let this moment be the last one. He kindly asked for her phone number, saying he can be of great help since she’s new to Korea. What she didn’t know is that he put on a tracking device on her phone.

“And that’s how he met her again at a bookstore. He pretended not to see her, then ‘accidentally’ bumped her and saved her from falling.

“Of course, they had another conversation that lead to her confession about not having a boyfriend since birth. She got really embarrassed, which was actually a part of his plan. Then after that, he took her to dinner date. After–”

Daehyun stopped narrating, realizing that Lanny is asleep on his lap.

She’s even beautiful when she’s sleeping with snoring, he said to himself as he touched her hair.

Taeyang’s crystal voice stirred the sleepy Lanny from slumber land.

“Throw your hands in the air your face, you shorty. I want more shuteye,” she murmured as she snoozed the alarm on her phone.

She opened her eyes for a second to see what she was hugging. It was a bare- Daehyun. She was taken aback by his gorgeous six-pack abs, so taken aback that she fell off the bed.

“Why does this happen to me all the time?!? Damnation carnation condensation!” she cursed as she pushed herself upright.

“What were you doing on the floor?” Daehyun questioned as she looked at him.

“Nothing, I just fell off the bed.”

He neared her immediately, touching her head, “Did you get a lump? Does your body hurts? Are you alright?”

Blood rushed to her cheeks. “N-No, I’m fine, really,” she told him, eyes away from him. “Can you please wear a shirt or something?”

“Why? We’ve slept together on the bed for nights already. And I always sleep . What’s with that coyness?” he answered, then backhugged her.

“Yah! How would I know? I’m always sleepy at night. And… and…”

He planted a tender kiss on her cheek then stated, “Get ready. We’re going somewhere.”

I was still thinking of a reason… Aish, you Daehyun.

“Wow,” was Lanny’s first word when they came to their third reminiscing trip – at Yeouido Park. “Wait, you said we’re going somewhere wild? How come this beautiful place is wild?”

Daehyun interlaced his fingers with hers and explained, “Soon, you’ll see.”

Aish, always with that cliffhanger. Damnation carnation condensation…

The fresh spring breeze blew skirts, papers, hats and hairs dramatically as Daehyun and Lanny walked along the beautiful cherry blossoms.

“Is this the famous Yeouido Park, Daehyun?”

Daehyun replied with a grin.

“Where are we going now then?”

They stopped at a tall cherry blossom drooping with pure white – tinged with pink – flowers.

“Let’s have our first selca here, again,” he said as he focused his Canon EOS6D to their faces. He wrapped his arm around her waist and yelled, “One, two, three, KIMCHI~”

After the shutter clicked, they checked the photo.

“Look, we really look like a couple here,” Daehyun complimented.

“By the way you hold my waist, we definitely look like a couple. D’oh,” Lanny snorted. “Now where are we going?”

Daehyun pointed a bicycle rental kiosk nearby and answered, “We’re on a trip around this place. Game with me?”

They approached the kiosk and he gave their IDs.

“So, you have my ID? Wait, what’s the ID for? Aren’t we supposed to pay or something?”

He shook his head, then the man on the kiosk gave them the receipt.

They approached the tandem and looked at each other.

“Who should be on the front?” Daehyun asked her.

“Me of course. That’s not even a question,” Lanny answered him as she nudged him and rode on the captain’s area.

Daehyun took his position on the stoker’s area then patted Lanny’s back. “Please take the lead, Queen Lanny.”

“Queen Lanny your face,” she spitted as she started pedaling.

Daehyun followed her heavy and slow pedaling, making sure they won’t fall.

“So, where are we heading to, Daehyun?” Lanny asked as she continued to look straight while pedaling.

“Just follow the path. You don’t remember this place? We’ve been here before.”

She grunted, “If I remember then I wouldn’t have to ask you.”

The next minutes were silence for them. Lanny was serious in pedaling while Daehyun admired the view of nature of Lanny’s back.

“Coffee, don’t be so serious. Why won’t you just enjoy the view?” Daehyun broke the calm aura.

Lanny bit her lip, lowered her face then turned to face Daehyun. “I am actually having a difficult time using this thing…” she confessed then faced him away.

“Stop. Let’s go down and bring this bike back.”

She squeezed the brake and went down off the bike. Daehyun followed her.

“I’ll carry this. You wait here, okay?” he told her as he grabbed the front top tube of the bike.

Lanny puffed her cheeks, nodding. “I’ll wait. If you don’t come back, I’m gonna kick you in the balls.”

Daehyun pinched her cheeks before he left. She stayed under a cherry blossom tree and played 2048 on her phone.

If he doesn’t come back in 10 minutes, I’ll leave right away. Aish, that Jung Dae Hyun! It’s really embarrassing that I can’t use the tandem properly… I think he’s doing this on purpose! I’ve fallen once again in Daehyun’s trap, she thought as she tapped on the screen of her phone to retry again. Damnation carnation condensation, I’m forever stuck at 512.

A glimpse of someone under her busy hands caught her attention. She put her phone back to her pocket and saw Daehyun crouching, his back facing her.

“What are you doing?”

He faced her and explained, “Since our bike is gone, you can just ride on me instead.”

She crouched and held his face between her hands. “That’s sweet of you but I’d rather walk with you. Please?” then she stood up and offered her hand to Daehyun.

He batted an eyelid while staring at her face, thinking on what to do. In a blink of an eye, he took Lanny’s hand and pulled her to his back. He held her legs with his arms then walked.

The surprised Lanny was speechless. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he started walking.

“This is all part of your plan!” she whimpered as she leaned her chin on his shoulder.

“So how did you like my plan?” he turned his head and smiled at her.

“As usual, sweet and surprising. You give me a case of diabetes.”

“Will my kiss be enough as your insulin shot?”

“You know too much,  –pinches Daehyun’s cheeks–  you Daehyun, you.”

“Stop pinching me and hold on tight instead. I don’t want you to fall on anything except for me.”

“If you don’t stop hitting on me, I’m gonna hit you for real.”

“Hit me as you please, as long as it’s only me.”

“You…  –bites Daehyun’s ear–”

Daehyun felt goose bumps all over him the moment Lanny’s teeth sank onto his earlobe. His eyes widened and his body froze. Then something started throbbing in his pants. But his arousal evaporated as the sky began crying.

Lanny jumped off from his back and checked her backpack for an umbrella. She growled in frustration for her trusty umbrella was left at home. Daehyun took off his black blazer and put it on Lanny’s head. She closed and wore her backpack, giving him his blazer back.

“There’s no use for finding shelter, we’re wet already,” she mouthed through the mist.

He took her hand, saying, “Let’s just dance in the rain then.”